• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourneys at Private Homes

Sarth

Smash Rookie
I am curious as to what the general consensus is in regards to attending tourneys at a private home. Obviously it would be large enough to house a local sized tournament, but it would be someone's house nonetheless.

My first tourney was Apex 2014 and since then I've attended SKTAR 3 and some local weeklies. Obviously a national has to be a large venue, but the local was still at a venue of some sort.

My friends and I rent out a four bed-room house that is very spacious, as we don't really keep furniture in the downstairs area. We have nearly 10 set-ups between our little group of smashers and we have been contemplating hosting a Smash event soon, however we would need to do it at our home, as we currently don't have a venue to host it otherwise.

Would you find it weird or awkward to attend, being at someone's home? Also would a five dollar venue fee upset you? Would there be certain accommodations you'd want/need?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
During early Melee, a large number of tournaments were at peoples homes, so it's not that unusual.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
There's nothing wrong with a house tourney, but just realize that its potential scope and turnout will always be limited by the fact that it's in a house.

We've all been part of the Smash community for so long that we forget how intimidating it can be for new players to break barriers and attend events. Put yourself in the shoes of one of those new players: attend an openly advertised tourney at a public venue, or venture into unexplored territory at a stranger's house?

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I had one a while back they're really fun and not too expensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom