• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TourneyPlay Portland - Dec 18th 2010 (NBA involved) - December 18th, 2010 - Portland,

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
NBA PORTLAND TRAILBLAZER TICKET GIVE AWAY AT THIS EVENT

Date: Dec 18th 2010

Time: 10am - 10pm
We expect most events to finish before 7pm so that you can use the tickets to that nights Trailblazer game (see below for ticket info)

Venue: Memorial Coliseum (Glass Palace) @ the Rose Garden, Portland OR

Entry Fee:
$30 per Person for 1st Set of Games (see below)
$10 per Person for games beyond initial $30 buy
Refund Policy: Cancellation prior to Dec 1st will have a $10 service fee. Starting on Dec 1st there will be NO refunds.

Spectator Entry Fee: $15 (no friendlies, no controller in hand, this is for true spectators. If you want to play, pay the Entry Fee)

Games/Events: (each line is considered a Set of Games)
Brawl 1v1 and 2v2
Halo Reach 4v4
MW2 or Black Ops 4v4
Super Street Fighter 4 1v1 and 3v3
Melee 1v1

Prizes:
TBD and based upon entries and sponsors.
Smash Events will pay out to the top 4
Halo and CoD to top 3

Trail Blazer Game Ticket Handouts:
50 tickets will be guaranteed for the first 50 Pre-Reg entries.
The balance of the tickets (about 150) will be raffled off during the event. Pre-Registration (except first 50) will be entered into the raffle 2 times.
Late Registration (Door Reg) will be entered into the raffle 1 time.

Entry Fee Example:
You pay $30 to walk in and play one Set of Games. For example, for $30 you could play in the Brawl 1v1 and 2v2 events.
For each additional Set of Games you add it is $10.
So you walk in to play in the Halo Reach event, its $30. You also want to play in Brawl 1v1 and 2v2, so its +$10 = $40 total entry.

Event Produced by:

TourneyPlay
WestCoastLANs
Team Violent Apprehension

Sponsorship Provided by:
GameClucks
GamerSaloon
Gripits
Nyko
CoolerMaster
Plantronics
Dust Off (via ESportServices)

Prize Pool Guarantees:
100 for Brawl = $2000 total (1v1 + 2v2)
200 for Brawl = $5500 total (1v1 + 2v2)
100 for Melee = $2000 for 1v1
200 for Melee = $5000 for 1v1

Product Prize Totals as of 11/18/10 = ~$7000

REGISTER NOW NOW NOW
http://www.tourneyplay.net/pnwleague/pages/tp_portland.php

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
BUMP

guys do you understand that you need to go to this. There are sponsors backing this thing up. THIS MEANS THAT IF THIS GETS GOOD ATTENDANCE, MANY POT-BONUS TOURNAMENTS WILL FOLLOW THIS TOURNAMENT SERIES. That is a VERY good thing, and that is why you all must show to these.

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
I realize this on the same date as some other large events in the US and may not have as big a prize pool, but in tickets alone this is over $3500 in prizes that will be handed out!!

The date is locked, because it has to match up with a Trailblazer game that has tickets available.

I hope to make this 100% official in the next day or two.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Have you posted this on the Oregon MLG thread? Also, we should try to get Norcal to come to this. Since Oregon is the excellent middle ground.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I would come and enter two events if melee was there. come for melee, enter brawl and melee.

Edit: I might just come and not enter anything and play melee on friendly tv's..if there are friendly tv's.. which leads me to another question, are we allowed to bring our own set ups.. as in a full tv + Cube or Tv + wii?

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
It says possible Melee. So show me why I should add it officially...?
When PreReg site goes up... if I have Melee on it, it better get a **** ton of pre-reg's like ASAP

I have limited time, limited venue space, limited set ups. Something has to give and based on last 6 months of GC and TP, Melee is least attended event I have had. I get more people for Heroes of Newerth LANs (not even tournaments) then I get Melee players.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
It says possible Melee. So show me why I should add it officially...?
When PreReg site goes up... if I have Melee on it, it better get a **** ton of pre-reg's like ASAP

I have limited time, limited venue space, limited set ups. Something has to give and based on last 6 months of GC and TP, Melee is least attended event I have had. I get more people for Heroes of Newerth LANs (not even tournaments) then I get Melee players.
Heroes of Newerth is a legit game, I don't see why this is surprising.

What happens if people pre-register for melee and it doesn't happen?

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
If I put it on Pre-reg page we will run it, it just may be small and a crap prize pool due to lack of entries.

I am working on the schedule and such this week, so when Pre-reg page is up it will either be there or not... not saying which right now as I havent decided.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Where do you even get the $50 number from?
Washington Melee, in general, wont show up to a $10 Melee tournament...
Oh, I was referring specifically to Irvine Tourneyplay 5.

I wasn't saying I don't understand your reasons, either. But Cali Melee gets so many of their own tournaments that they can't see themselves spending $50 on a tournament, unless it's like 200+ people.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Yea, TP events are expensive, Usually events that cost this much to get into are advertised a year ahead of time., E.I. Apex, Genesis 2, Pound 5.

Balloon

Smash Lord
I only want Melee. I want to attend this event, but I cannot stand Brawl and do not play any of those other games.

Also heroes of newerth is gay.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I like how so many melee people are not going because melee is a side event, and if not enough people show up, it won't be there anyway. Nice job guys. You're proving GC guy right about not having melee as a main event.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
I like how so many melee people are not going because melee is a side event, and if not enough people show up, it won't be there anyway. Nice job guys. You're proving GC guy right about not having melee as a main event.
Why would I pay 30 dollars for a side event?

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
Melee 1v1 will be on the card as a regular event.
For those who play both Smash games, it will be cheap all in all.
$30 for your main game and +$10 for the other.

All in all its a CHEAP EVENT -- Brawl 1v1 and 2v2 for $30 total??????? NO OTHER REGIONAL DOES IT THAT CHEAP!

ALL REGIONALS are expensive. During the whole TP5 is too expensive drama, I proved it was less expensive then 3 or 4 other other regionals around the same time, yet NOT ONCE did those other events have the "this is expensive" BS in their threads.
Its at a frigging Professional Sports teams facility!! - NOT CHEAP
It includes 200 tickets to a professional sporting event - NOT CHEAP (many many many strings pulled to do this)
Its in another city then the TO Lives - NOT CHEAP when you consider the set up time and such

Melee people wonder why I do not push Melee... maybe because you are all baby girls when it comes to how you handle these things.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
And you're being immature, lol.

It's a vicious cycle. Gameclucks doesn't cater to Melee players (no doubles bracket, small tourney etc.), so Melee players don't attend. Melee players don't attend, so Gameclucsk doesn't cater to Melee players.

Nobody's at fault here. Both sides have there reasons. And GC Chris, you aren't helping anybody when you constantly ridicule the Melee community. Melee OUTSIDE OF GC is pretty lively. The last smashfest I hosted at my apartment, we had some 18-20 people show up completely impromptu, many of whom I hadn't even met.

I've tried several times in the past to help drum up attendance at GC events - I even flew down to Socal for TP5 even though I was only entering Melee, not the much larger Brawl event. But ultimately, people get to choose how they want to spend their money. And if they can just as easily not drive 3-4 hours to pay $30 for a side tourney with no doubles bracket, then they'll just do that.

The biggest problem I see is that there's this disconnect between Gameclucks, as a tournament organization, and the Melee community, as of late. Speaking AS a Melee player, especially coming from a group NOTORIOUS for rarely attending GC tournaments (although I'd like to thing I was an exception to this rule) - the UW Melee community, we just never saw much direct advertisement from Gameclucks to Melee players, nor any incentive to go, after Brawl's release. I'll be the first to admit - maybe they aren't like this anymore, but the Brawl community in Washington was annoying to hang around. They were a bunch of kids who mostly hung off Shane's ****, plagiarizing his sense of humor and generally being cocky snot-nosed dip****s.

Furthermore, GC is NOT, as much as we would like to think it is, an established "reputed large-scale tournament organization" in terms of Melee these days. Maybe it was in the past, I don't know. I started playing Smash in 2008. But out-of-staters generally show low interest in flying to Washington. I don't know how to attract regional or national interest as a tournament organizer, but I've never tried. But if you don't have that kind of reputation in the first place, then it's hard to label your tournament as large-scale when you don't have much out-of-region interest.

I'm aware that things are different now. So I'd love to see more communication/connection between Washington(/PNW) Melee and Gameclucks, to reverse the cycle of Melee being generally low in attendance at GC. I've tried to get Melee attendance up at GC events, as a player, but despite a success or two (I remember at least one tournament where Melee had more entrants than Brawl, a rarity in WA), people don't usually want to go, because of the perceived negative environment at GC (I've known 3 or 4 people from UW who went to GC in the early days of Brawl, and never went again because of how cocky they thought everyone was). I definitely can't do anything now that I'm abroad for a year, so I think it's up to GC (and its attendants) to increase the hype and interest for Melee. People won't go to an event if it just seems like "oh, I get to play the same people I always play, but spend 3 or 4 times the money. lol, nothx"

This, of course, is all "if you care" lol. I know from your point of view (GC Guy) you see Melee as a community that you've given numerous chances to and they didn't reciprocate. So if you're fine with that, then whatever. You might as well drop Melee.

Lastly, indigestible_wad, I understand that you're trying to ****-talk this guy into going to the tournament, but doing it in a standoffish manner doesn't actually get you anywhere. Try being nice for a change.

Zodiac

Smash Master
while its true this tournament isnt exactly melee friendly Im still going to try and go to grow the melee community within tourneyplay events, It never hurts to give melee players one more big tournament to go to.

Also question to GC guy, I hate doubles, so I wont be entering doubles for brawl. Would I still have to pay the $30 to enter brawl? Im assuming its $30 because its $15 for each event. And also im assuming the venue fee is included in the entry fee.

Eggz

Smash Hero
if people go for melee there will be a well catered melee tournament >_> i dont get how that could be any more obvious

should he like
promise more TVs than the brawl players get no matter how many melee players show up?
whatever dude, just go and bring TVs
if it doesnt end in time we'll move it to gage's or something lol

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
I'm not making him promise anything, I just have no idea what it means to be a "side event." I want to go to a Melee tournament, not a Brawl Tournament that might have a Melee side event.

Regardless, since this is going to have Melee I will be there.

Eggz

Smash Hero
thats what i like to hear :3

it means since the attendance is LIKELY to be low based on history, he cant be having a main event on paper that will have low numbers.

its like COME TO OUR NATIONAL MELEE TOURNAMENT with 10 entrants
sponsors wont dig that

at least thats how I'd view it

Zodiac

Smash Master
The only concern I have is going and paying $40 just so I can enter melee and brawl singles. and not doubles. Thats $30 for brawl apparently and $10 for melee. If I could go and just pay for brawl singles and melee singles ($25) that would make it a much sweeter deal. Not everyone enters doubles.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Lastly, indigestible_wad, I understand that you're trying to ****-talk this guy into going to the tournament, but doing it in a standoffish manner doesn't actually get you anywhere. Try being nice for a change.
Okay. Negative reinforcement isn't working, positive reinforcement it is. Got it.

keeper

Smash Champion
Hey, GC Guy. It's cool that you're throwing this tournament and cool that it'll hopefully be a large event (nice on scoring the Colosseum).

I can't say I'll be there unless I get a job I have lined up soon, since I really can't afford to drop thirty bucks to lose to the same three-four people I always lose to in Jesse's basement. I do realize that entry fee does equate to winnings though.

I like Toph's post.

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
@evoji - No age limit. If under 18 we may have a permission form to fill out though. I am working ont hat detail in the next week or so.

@Keeper - prizes have to come from somewhere... I understand what you are saying though.

Top Bottom