• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Locator Tech Of The Week TWO PARTER: Body Rock + Body Tech

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

One Smash in partnership with Tourney Locator have worked together to produce the series: Tech of the Week! It's time for a special two part series where with some inspiration from the Wii Fit games. These videos, Body Rock and Body Tech cover a cool variety of topics and multiple techs, so site down, watch, and learn!

Some may have noticed the numbers of the techs are slightly out of order. This is because all of the techs to be shared are a part of the One Smash Tech Tree. This makes each video feed of the others, showing how each tech works together to form a complete game. The other videos in the series include Fast Fall Break,Snap Back and Slow Run. A full playlist is available here so be sure to check these out to get the full idea of the One Smash Tech Tree. Hopefully these techs will help players up their games!

SmashCapps always looks forward to the Tech of the Week and hopes it can help people learn something new. To keep up with all of his writing antics follow him on Twitter.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
nice tips and i like how you show these techs to begginers

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
So cross-ups, clanking, and awareness of hitboxes/hurtboxes are "tech" now? This is actually ridiculous.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
I never thought of crouching before perfect-shielding, and it looks practical in play for the occasional events of when to apply it. The other techs this week... I don't think my main and secondary can benefit from it. Still, props to these guys for doing their best to increase the depth of the metagame.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I think I remember a Japanese Little Mac doing that Jab step trick to land the KO punch out of a jab... it was on Delfino by last recall.

moving towards your target to slightly boost a weak attack's push sounds interesting, perhaps this could give Link a possible means of setting up an early Dair meteor. the hurtbox shift thing with some attacks is not something I've been able to really find a use for, though the easier perfect shield thing I'll definitely try out!

Golden Rainbow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2707-2708-0253
Marth used to be able to grab release into Crescent Slash (the custom Up-B that lunges forward). It's majorly useless now (for some reason), but it used to true combo in a few characters.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Marth used to be able to grab release into Crescent Slash (the custom Up-B that lunges forward). It's majorly useless now (for some reason), but it used to true combo in a few characters.
Yoshi also used to have a grab release into some combos that were patched out at some point -- nobody really noticed the exact patch because the techs hadn't gotten a lot of attention at that point. (I didn't find them, just read about it)

If Marth also lost it, then the number of frames before you can take action when you're ground released from a grab were probably shortened.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
So cross-ups, clanking, and awareness of hitboxes/hurtboxes are "tech" now? This is actually ridiculous.
Tech doesn't have to something flashy or huge like wavedashing... tech just means technique. Anything that takes advantage of some mechanic that can help you. Why the hate?

Last edited:

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
Tech doesn't have to something flashy or huge like wavedashing... tech just means technique. Anything that takes advantage of some mechanic that can help you. Why the hate?
I mentioned neither "flashy" nor "wavedash." My point is that the vast majority of iterations try to pile on the numbers of "tech" by making a video whenever somebody turns around or discovers the tendencies of a hitbox. Hitbox awareness is not a technique, sorry. These guys try way too hard and a lot of these have absolutely no utility.

Ironically, these often strike me as "flashy" because techniques like fox-trotting and perfect pivoting play no part in speeding up combos and hardly play any role in winning the neutral game when your opponent spaces well.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
The word you're looking for is "fundamentals".
Spacing, pressure, reading, etc, are fundamentals.

These are techniques.

I mentioned neither "flashy" nor "wavedash." My point is that the vast majority of iterations try to pile on the numbers of "tech" by making a video whenever somebody turns around or discovers the tendencies of a hitbox. Hitbox awareness is not a technique, sorry. These guys try way too hard and a lot of these have absolutely no utility.

Ironically, these often strike me as "flashy" because techniques like fox-trotting and perfect pivoting play no part in speeding up combos and hardly play any role in winning the neutral game when your opponent spaces well.
I didn't say you mentioned either of them. Why do you make a post with 0 explanation and then say "I mentioned neither "flashy" nor "wavedash"" when I tried to guess what you meant? Lol.

You're right, hitbox awareness is not a technique. But manipulating your hurtbox to avoid their hitbox is a technique.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Also, you can push ppl who are in freefall above the ledge with your body alone to gimp. (pushing them so that they won't reach the ledge)
This is effective with characters like Lucario that can't kill/gimp at
low %s.
(Well, yes he can, but you get the point.)
It's a rare scenario, but it's good to know. The CPU did this on occasion back in melee.

I do agree with you, but still, new players/less experienced, might get a heads up by watching his.

Last edited:

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for the support everyone who has shared their positive thoughts.

For everyone else, yes this is tech. And no, you did not know about these before hand.

If you feel like you did know about this before hand, please send me evidence of you talking about how the tech works or at least doing it consistently.

These videos are for ALL players. Not just NEW players.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
I never thought of crouching before perfect-shielding, and it looks practical in play for the occasional events of when to apply it. The other techs this week... I don't think my main and secondary can benefit from it. Still, props to these guys for doing their best to increase the depth of the metagame.
too bad Zeldas crouch is terrible.

Top Bottom