• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournaments at home

sarcastro

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I've been running a very casual smash wiiU tournament at my place for a few months now - Its sort of half smash, half house party. Its growing really fast! the next one is set to have 40(ish) people attending. It started as just my friends and I, and had now grown to include friends of friends, smash bros and party enthusiasts alike :p

Got me thinking, surely other people must be doing this? There must be a home for this kind of light hearted home tournament, I love the competitive stuff, but I love the relaxed atmosphere of a house party too. Does anyone else run a similar event? Any tips on what I could include to make my smash parties the best? We recently started asking the players to fill out a survey before they came with questions like, 'how much would I have to pay you to eat a poo?' and then reading the answers out over loudspeaker during their games :p

Anyone got any other fun traditions/suggestions?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think that's pretty neat. Hosting sounds very difficult, but a house party like that makes things welcoming for all types of people. Seems like people get to enjoy themselves more while easing into a tourney environment. The closest I've been to were just get togethers and casuals.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I don't know of any house-tournaments in my area, but I know that there were a lot of them in the early days of competitive Smash. I do have smash parties with my friends, however, and pizza with a soda (usually root beer) is always involved.

sarcastro

Smash Rookie
Yeah i think what I'm doing might be a unique little niche. I'm trying to get a friends band to play at the next one, as a half time show! I've been giving away trophies too, just cheap nintendo figures painted gold, I thought about using amiibos but they're pretty expensive (especially if you're going to ruin them with gold paint :p) I'll be sure to post some pics of the next event!

Zionaze

Smash Ace
theres a whole reddit thread on customizing amiibos. Maybe you can ask for some help there? I think theres a thread on here too that helps people with their amiibos.

silkys

Smash Cadet
haha! awesome. do many people customise them? I've got a luigi, and I'd like to swap out the figure on it for this weird looking luigi figure I've got, but I'm kinda hesitant to pull apart a perfectly good amiibo
What the hell is that. It looks like something from my nightmares.

Top Bottom