• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Mindset?

Cylent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cylent.x
What mindset do you really zone in on when going into tournament, and what do you do to get there?

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I don't go to tournaments, but here's how I prefer to play:
2 Stocks
6-8 minute matches
Any Omega stage
Best 2 out of 3

SmashNB

Smash Rookie
I try to tune everything out and only think about the match. It's easy to focus when no one is watching you play; it's much harder when there's a crowd gathered around heckling you or cheering for your opponent. To solve this problem, try using headphones and playing music loud enough to drown out the crowd. I find certain types of music (metal, punk) also get me more pumped up and more excited while I play.

CptPuff

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicHero007
3DS FC
3566-1570-4128
It differs from person to person, but playing the match analytically works best for me, and often is a great way to improve. I haven't done it yet (but will next week), but I imagine listening to music would be very helpful.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I meditate before a big match that is stressing me out.

I also make sure to eat healthy foods, make sure I'm always hydrated, stretch my hands and wrists to keep them from getting stiff, and take as many breaks as I can. Tournaments can be very draining, it's a whole day of playing.

Last edited:

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
In regards to listening to music, I've often wondered how it ends up working well for players. I always imagine that, in doing so, you'd be blocking out the sound of the game, too, which means you're robbed of more sensory information to react to.

Granted, I've never tried listening to music the few times that I *have* give to a tournament, so I don't even have the personal experience to back that up.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
Have fun and disrespect. Although it seems rude (it is literally done for that purpose) but it is also able to make it so I don't get really angry, and it is something me and the person I am playing against can laugh at. If it is a close match I don't always go for it, but I try to when I can, bet I will never throw away a stock to do it.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I convince myself that the crowd don't matter. Be it 2 or 50 people. I do this for myself, if I lose I'm not good enough and my opponet deserves the win, if I win than I've done well.
If I **** up its okay, if the crowd laughs at me its okay. I'm not doing this for them, and they're not evil for laughing. Even the best players SD and mess up. If the fear of SDing or doing something stupid stops me from playing the way I think is ideal than I've already lost and I should head home.

Basically, tournaments are places where I show what I learned from playing the game, whether it's enough or not I'll play the way I think I should and leave with no regret no matter what happens.

AoS~Akito

Smash Rookie
NNID
Akiter
The most important thing in a tournament setting imo is to keep your emotions stable and remember your fundamentals. Stay in the moment and focus on trying to get a feel for your opponent, see how he reacts in certain situation (When hes at disadvantage, does he tend to jump out, airdodoge, or respond offensively?) and punish his habits based off your observations. But also make sure you have fun as well.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I convince myself that the crowd don't matter. Be it 2 or 50 people. I do this for myself, if I lose I'm not good enough and my opponet deserves the win, if I win than I've done well.
If I **** up its okay, if the crowd laughs at me its okay. I'm not doing this for them, and they're not evil for laughing. Even the best players SD and mess up. If the fear of SDing or doing something stupid stops me from playing the way I think is ideal than I've already lost and I should head home.

Basically, tournaments are places where I show what I learned from playing the game, whether it's enough or not I'll play the way I think I should and leave with no regret no matter what happens.
This^^^^

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Do you best to not care about how you do. Just relax and go on autopilot. Stop thinking so much. Just play like you practice. Pretend it's just another play session. Let the results be what they are.

I echo what others have said above about tourneys being draining. This is one thing I wasn't ready for. My first tourney lasted like 6+ hours and in bracket I was playing worse than in pools because I was tired and honestly sick of playing. Show up as late as possible and don't wear yourself out playing a ton of friendlies prior to and in between tourney matches. Take a break when you can and get out of the tourney area and go eat something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom