• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Legal Stage Selection

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Hey guys, decided to get into the competitive side of Smash more and wanted to learn more about the stages specifically for Robin.

Out of the following Starter and counter pick stages I'd like to hear both generally speaking which stages you think favour or want to avoid the character and why. In addition are there are stages you favour or want to avoid in particular matchups and why. Definitely would appreciate hearing what you guys think.

Starters
  • Battlefield/Miiverse
  • FD/Palutena Omega
  • Dreamland
  • Town And City
  • Smashville

Counterpicks:
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Duck Hunt
  • Halberd

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Common opinion is we generally do best on Delfino, Halberd, T&C and BF, however BF you definitely want to avoid in certain match-ups (like Sheik).

Worst ones for us on that list are FD, SV and Castle Siege, but people rarely CP to Castle Siege, fortunately.

-Xeroskia.

Octoling Wizard
NNID
ColeXero
Switch FC
3334-3736-0319
Personally, I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys Lylat as a stage, and it's not a half-bad CP imo if you're careful with the timings of tome use due to the rotation. But I regularly picked T&C and the obligatory MD/VA "Start"ville special as my picks and counter-picks. I was often banned from Halberd and Delfino simply because of starter stage bias so I don't have much experience on them, but I'll take Raz's word on their viability for Robin.

Halberd's battleship ledges and Delfino's water still put the fear in me though..

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
Common opinion is we generally do best on Delfino, Halberd, T&C and BF, however BF you definitely want to avoid in certain match-ups (like Sheik).

Worst ones for us on that list are FD, SV and Castle Siege, but people rarely CP to Castle Siege, fortunately.
Just a question, why is SV such a bad counter pick? Is it because of how inconsistent the platforms are?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Just a question, why is SV such a bad counter pick? Is it because of how inconsistent the platforms are?
Small stage. Hard to take advantage of the platform. It's mainly the size, it's very easy to get rushed down on it due to lack of places to retreat to.

Meneil

Smash Apprentice
Really depends on the match-up heavily for me. In terms of starters, the only stage I feel Robin consistently does 'bad' on is FD, and even that has exceptions. Battlefield is more of a comfort thing for me, it's always been one of my favorite neutrals. The only time I don't like it much is against CFalcon, since he gets more benefits in terms of combos with the platforms, but even that... I'd be okay with going there, just maybe as his CP and not a starter. Dreamland is definitely my favorite starter atm, but it pretty much always gets striked. Similar with T&C, although I do avoid it against Rosalinas. In the end, it seems like SV is always the one left... although sometimes it's BF or T&C.

For counterpicks, if it's not banned I go Delfino. Halberd is also generally pretty good. If those are out or I'm confident I can outplay my opponent, then Dreamland or sometimes Battlefield.

Unfortunately the stage list near me is generally pretty conservative - Castle Siege, Delfino, and Halberd aren't on the CP list. This can sometimes screw me over since I might have won on a neutral like BF, and with Dave's stupid rule, and one ban like Dreamland, sometimes there's no 'good' counterpick. :'( I honestly feel like it's a noticeable disadvantage compared to my other local that has the same list legal that you posted.

Top Bottom