• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Top Tier vs Low Tiers ( and a few others ) Crew Battle event at apex

Do you want this event at apex

• Yes

Votes: 57 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
Hello guys I am one of the smashers from the community of Puerto Rico that have been attending majors in the US some times I'm friends with HDL who IMO is the best link in melee

The reason I write this is the following. Last year at Apex there was a mini event which Involved Many Link players vs Low tier characters.. The event was cool but did not gathered the attention of many smashers until HDL came and made people wow for a brief moment. I have an Idea for a mini event/showcase of skill that should not consume a lot of time for planning or of the schedule of apex. But this could benefit the community, create hype for the stream etc etc.

After the event ( Link vs Stinks ) ended I spoke to some low tier players HDL and recently with Vman in his stream and asked him what he thought about participating in a real event where real skill is showcased by Pro playes using low tiers.. Both liked the Idea as I know other pro players will agree to participate. And people will actualy watch this and get hyped if the idea is well promoted prior to the event

The Idea proposal

What if we create a mini even to showcase skillfull low tier players, fighting the top community players!
This would be awesome and will not only get people hyped if they manage to win some matches, but most of the people would be rooting for the low tiers once they begin to watch upsets which they could happen ;)

The benefit
for the community would be that it could encourage character variety in tournaments, ( because a dedicated player pulled it off some wins vs top tier character and players. It would also help those in need of certain direction of how to use the lesser know character. And the best i think, it will expose those Low tiers character and players to the stream, that most of the time since the dont get top 8, they dont get all the coverage they really need.

Logistics:
The event would consist of a crew battle between the low tiers and top tiers each player having to fight everyone participating. They would be awarded 1 point for each match win.

Depending of time constraints It could be either best of 3 meaning they get awarded 1 point for each win 2-0 or 2-1 meaning player who won gets 2 points and loser gets 0 or 1 if he won a match

Or it could be done only one match awarding the winner 1 point.

Now I mentioned everyone from one crew will fight the other crew since I know viewers would like to see the 5 pro low tier players face each of the top tiers character

For example

Low tier crew
1- Player A
2- Player B
3- Placer C

Top Tier Crew
1- Player D
2- Player E
3- Player F

The low tier would have the slight commodity of facing all opponets at once:
Player A fights ( players: D,E,F ) Points are awared
Player B Fights ( Players: D,E,F ) I think you get the point :)
If you want to understand the logistic better here is an example of a SSFIV international exibition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAuRH0js73E&list=PLE5402F4BE37E2E0D

Rules are simple

Only neutral stages allowed and loser bans a stage.
No character changes allowed.

if for a reason its decided only 1 match to be played. An idea would be to do stage striking or Have the top tier character player to ban a stage and the Low tier player then picks a stage from the remaining neutral.

Your feed back on this would be greatly appreciated. After we get this officialy on the schedule
-------------------------

List of the ideal crew participants. I have 5 in mind for each crew but maybe we could add up to 7 players. I dont want to have a lot of participants because it will take more time and it just doesnt work.. Also I want quality in the low tier crew 0 risk that we could get a sloppy players that would imbalance the outcome.

Pro Low tier Character Players (Heroes)

HDL ( Best Link )
Axe (Best Pika)
VMan (Best Yoshi
Abate (Luigi)
Plup (Samus)
Taj (Best Mewtwo)
DJ Nintendo: ( Bowser )
---------------------------- optionals/backup
Kage (Ganon)
Negi (He is a extremely great DK player from PR)
Shroomed (Best Doc)

VS.
Pro Top Tier Character players ( Bad Guys )** New Updated Roaster

SFAT Fox
WestBallz Falco
Kirby Caze Sheik ( or any other sheik that is good )
S2J Falcon
Pew Pew U Marth
Hbox Jiggs
Armada or Vanz Peach

----------------------- Original Participants
Mango Fox
Dr Pee Pee Falco
M2K Sheik
Hbox Jiggs
Armada Peach
Pew Pew U marth
Hax Captn Falcon

I spoke to Alex about this and he wants to know what the community thinks and if this get people hyped it could get a greenlight and it would be included in the official schedule :)
Also PLEASE for the moment we dont want to concentrate in debating logistics or which character makes the cut, this is an invitational event of course. What we want from the community is to know if they support this and want this mini event to take place in the biggest tournament of smash :)

Many thanks for your time.
Also sorry for my english it is not my main language.

Regard

Fox Hater

Corona

Smash Apprentice
Abate/Eddy Mexico Luigi? Strong Bad DK? This could be pretty cool, even if it isn't the upper echelon of top tier players that play. If I go to Apex, I would be pumped to see this.

strawhats

Smash Master
I fully support this, just so I can see things like aMSa/Vman (inb4 conflicting viewpoints on who's the best Yoshi main atm) vs someone like PP/PPU. Hyped to see this move forward.

Wonder if Strong Bad will even agree to be a part of this, since he says he's done with melee...moving on to p:M

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I'd watch this even if I bet it would be a blow up by the top players.

Corona

Smash Apprentice
Wonder if Strong Bad will even agree to be a part of this, since he says he's done with melee...moving on to p:M
Maybe. I know he was in Links v. Stinks last year, so he might be an option for this. There are a bunch of DK's out there, though. I just wonder if Doc is too high for the "low tier" group.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
Is there a way to tag people like in FB here in smash boards??
Also would be great to get strong bad in this if he promises to practice for this

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Sounds fun but a bit one-sided. The top tier players you listed could probably win without their mains O_o

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the support it will be interesting to see how these players approach the match ups and heres to hoping to watch some upsets :) it will be a great experience for everyone watching

crush

Smash Master
low tier heros would get absolutely destroyed lol. doc/ganon/pika arent even low tier. this would be terrible, more one-sided than usa vs the world. mods please lock.

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
Top players should use the low tiers (Mario, Ylink?, Ness, Roy/M2?, whoever PP can play), and A tier players should play their mains.

Corona

Smash Apprentice
I think some people are missing the point here. The point here really is NOT for the low tier mains to win this thing. That would obviously not happen, not even close. But, what if for one gleaming moment, HDL lands a flash D-Air to take out Hungrybox's last stock? Or Vman pulls a major upset on PPU? Taj has a fair chance to win one of these as well. We all heard about aSMa taking a match against Mew2King a million times, why not showcase these possibilities? If this ends up being a 5x5, and the low tiers take 2 or 3 matches of the 25, I would go home happy. People like upsets. The ones that don't just don't understand the life of a low tier main...

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be more interesting to see if the top tier players can beat the low tier heroes while using low tiers themselves. Are they really all that or is it just their top tier characters? Of course we know they're all great no matter who they use but will it be enough to beat people who main low tiers?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Abate/Eddy Mexico Luigi? Strong Bad DK? This could be pretty cool, even if it isn't the upper echelon of top tier players that play. If I go to Apex, I would be pumped to see this.
Also would be great to get strong bad in this if he promises to practice for this
I have no intention of participating in this or any Melee event. If it occurs day 2 or 3, however, I would be willing to commentate.

Corona

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be more interesting to see if the top tier players can beat the low tier heroes while using low tiers themselves. Are they really all that or is it just their top tier characters? Of course we know they're all great no matter who they use but will it be enough to beat people who main low tiers?
That's not a bad idea, either. Mew2King is legit with just about any character, his all encompassing knowledge of the game is incredible, and I would like to see the low tier choice of PP or HBox. With that being said, though, I would like to see the Fox Hater idea first. As long as he doesn't commentate haha.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
hahahaha If I were to commentate it would be on spanish, although my english has gotten better, but I would not like to commentate, maybe say a few words but I will leave that to experts :)

Again for those that have supported the Idea many thanks I hope there is a chance to get this showcase happening at apex.

Fish Link thanks for your support, you actually get the point, this is not about winning is about showcasing variety of character and expose that skill to all watching the event.
I think these low tiers player have more chance of winning that the first international crew that happened in Genesis 1 lol

Also edited the first post, another possible candidate for playing with low tiers : DJ Nintendo Bowser ;)

BTW: HDL played Mango at apex it went 0-2 in favor of mango but both matches went to the last stock high percentage and in one of the matches HDL missed the gimp to win.

Im not trying to say they will win or that my friend is awesom for getting mango to last stock fox vs link. But just like he did many can also too and I know for a fact stuff like that will get people hyped!

Keep it up so far everyone here except for one person has liked the idea! :)

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Look, nobody here is saying that it isn't a good idea and we're not missing the point. But I think most people would agree that a low tier crew battle between high tier wielding top players and the low tier heroes would be more interesting. Maybe we can do both but it's really up to what these players want to do. If you want, we can make a separate topic for this.

Corona

Smash Apprentice
hahahaha If I were to commentate it would be on spanish, although my english has gotten better, but I would not like to commentate, maybe say a few words but I will leave that to experts :)

Again for those that have supported the Idea many thanks I hope there is a chance to get this showcase happening at apex.

Fish Link thanks for your support, you actually get the point, this is not about winning is about showcasing variety of character and expose that skill to all watching the event.
I think these low tiers player have more chance of winning that the first international crew that happened in Genesis 1 lol

Also edited the first post, another possible candidate for playing with low tiers : DJ Nintendo Bowser ;)

BTW: HDL played Mango at apex it went 0-2 in favor of mango but both matches went to the last stock high percentage and in one of the matches HDL missed the gimp to win.

Im not trying to say they will win or that my friend is awesom for getting mango to last stock fox vs link. But just like he did many can also too and I know for a fact stuff like that will get people hyped!

Keep it up so far everyone here except for one person has liked the idea! :)
Yep, no problem. I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can if it's needed. I want this to happen.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I think that it is good idea to have some sort of exhibition to highlight character diversity and potential in melee. Low tier vs high tier crew battle is not the right way to do it (if anything that would highlight imbalance in melee). One event that I've always wanted to see is a round-robin of the best representatives of mid-tier characters. This gives an opportunity to see unique match-ups that we rarely get to see at the highest level. I think a round robin of:

Pika (Axe)
Luigi (Eddy Mex [prob wont be there], or Abate, or Vudu)
Ganon (Kage)
Samus (Plup)
ICs (Fly) [unless wobbles is still willing to do exhibitions and such]
Doc (Shroomed)

would be awsome!

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
aMSa > vectorman sorry

easily easily easily best yoshi (except maybe leffen. not sure. leffen's yoshi was really good)

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu is not low tier. Don't be delusional.

And neither is Doc.
Are we really calling Ganon low tier too?

I'll say it again, a real low tier crew battle would be really cool. Take the top players in the world and force them to use whatever low tier secondaries they have in order to play the best people who actually main low tiers. Mew2King's Mewtwo takes on HDL's Link. Hungrybox's Ness takes on aMSa's Yoshi. Mango wields the mighty Kirby against DJ Nintendo's Bowser.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion

I agree with both Toph, and shiny Mewtwo... (though not to the extent of "easily") most my sets aren't recorded, so people don't know or understand, how good my Yoshi actually is or can be.. (which is understandable) due to recent results though (EVO) aMSa, is that Yoshi! <3
In terms of opponents beaten, we've both beaten the same people (for the most part) his have just been recorded... He's beat m2k, "recorded" I have also "not recorded" and many with many other players while his have been recorded... all my videos barely have any views, from my tourneys since noone watches them, so nobody actually knows..

it's ok though most of you here, don't ACTUALLY know what you're saying or how good my Yoshi actually is, and that's understandable, I didn't perform when I needed to (EVO) and I'm quite used to it... so it's all good ^^ I'll just have to do something about it (AGAIN)... and no I'm not upset or mad at anyone.. Most Yoshi's are better than me atm... Like usual though, I don't think most realize how good I actually am, again which is understandable..

but yeah aMSa > Leffen (when he plays him) > other Yoshis > me..

I <3 aMSa, he's one of the coolest people i've ever met ^^; so respectful n n;

I'm pretty confident aMSa will be attending Apex... We talk alot, and if he can't I'm going to "assist" him in getting to Apex anyway.. I love watching him play.. so if this happens, I do want him participating in this... if there are room for 2 Yoshi's then I'll gladly be the backup! :)

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
VMan I saw you play against my friend HDL at apex you rock! man, You should not feed the trolls. It is someone's perspective to say X player is better than Y player. Unless it is pretty straight forward that Y players sucks. Which in your case it is not. The again my only advice to you ( after watching Evo matches ) is that you should play a little more conservative in the edge, and not use tools that are not necesary at the moment cause then you'll SD. U had that sheik at evo but you SD too much. Play safe sometimes in the Edge and execute correctly. you are an amazing player and u deserve this spot.

To the rest of the people, again thanks for supporting the idea, lets not focus right now on which charater is low or not ( actually the event is call Low tiers and a few others ) so yeah ganon and Doc are not low. But they are not close to being top tier either. And these are characters that only these guys maximizes their potetial, that is why they are here. No one plays pika or doc like Axe and shroomed. I dont want to place in this crew a ness player just because Mofo plays a good ness. Because he ( as a player ) still lacks the complexity others have like HDL, Vman, Taj, DJ Nintendo, Axe, The Luigi Player etc. I want this to be an event everyone enjoys.

Links vs Stinks suffered because The Link players only had one who play at a High Lvl. We dont want that here or it will be extremly free.

Please lets focus right now on getting this event at the greatest tournament of smash APEX 2014 Get Hype!!

we can discus later the characters we get

Regard

Fox Hater

The Business

Smash Journeyman
id rather have the top 5 players play their low-tier secondaries against a bunch of good high tier char players. in the format suggested, the top players would just junk the other team and wouldn't be that great to watch imo.

shuall

Smash Apprentice
Another vote for top players with low-tier secondaries vs top low-tier mains.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a lot of people supporting this via this thread, inbox or FB but some are concerned that the pro players I've selected for the top tier characters are too much andthis would be imbalanced. I dont think that is the case but still to cater those who think that way I've changed the roaster of the players from the top tier side, Let me know what you think, they are still great players.

Also I replaced Kage and Shroomed now as back ups for the Low tier crew and placed Plup (Samus) and Abate (Luigi) instead

Please remember to vote and support this event. Let me know what you think about this changes. Many thanks for the Feedback

Also to address those who have ask the best of the USA to use low tiers and face the Low tier heroe, come on people want to see a great link beat or give a hard time to a Fox. Not low tier mirror matches. What are you suggesting that the Best in the USA are better low tier player than the Pro Low tiers I selected?... No? If they aren't then why would we want to see a match where one of the playes drops his skill of playing and sandbags by playing a character he obviously is not the best with... I dont see the logic in that. Still thanks for the feedback :)

Keep Voting please

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a lot of people supporting this via this thread, inbox or FB but some are concerned that the pro players I've selected for the top tier characters are too much andthis would be imbalanced. I dont think that is the case but still to cater those who think that way I've changed the roaster of the players from the top tier side, Let me know what you think, they are still great players.

Also I replaced Kage and Shroomed now as back ups for the Low tier crew and placed Plup (Samus) and Abate (Luigi) instead

Please remember to vote and support this event. Let me know what you think about this changes. Many thanks for the Feedback

Also to address those who have ask the best of the USA to use low tiers and face the Low tier heroe, come on people want to see a great link beat or give a hard time to a Fox. Not low tier mirror matches. What are you suggesting that the Best in the USA are better low tier player than the Pro Low tiers I selected?... No? If they aren't then why would we want to see a match where one of the playes drops his skill of playing and sandbags by playing a character he obviously is not the best with... I dont see the logic in that. Still thanks for the feedback :)

Keep Voting please
I don't think you should be worrying about the vote. You're going to get people who would like to see this happen. Hell, I'd like to see it happen. But should I vote "no" since I'd rather see the format changed? You've seen the posts here split between your idea and another idea so wouldn't it be better to have asked which idea people liked better? The way this poll is set up, you're just asking for what you want to hear.

Also, yes. I was suggesting that the best players in the world who happen to main top tiers could be evenly matched against the best low tier mains. They might even win. (That's my bet despite rooting for the low tier heroes.) Ask yourself the question, "Does the player make the character, or does the character make the player?" I think we'd all agree that the people who have risen to the Top 8 of the World are amazing regardless of who they use. Obviously they wouldn't look amazing if they tried to play one of themselves while using a low tier. But somebody who is a couple rungs down the ladder in the Top 64 (32?) of the World? Somebody who would have no chance of beating M2K's Sheik? Yeah, I'd like to see if they can stand up to M2K's Mewtwo. And low tier mirror matches? I don't think we're going to see all the top players picking the same character. We'll get more variety then that.

So take the top people favored to win the tournament who aren't low tier mains (it'd be pretty interesting if any of them are good enough to break into the top 8). Then bring out the top low tier players and make them fight a low tier crew battle. Instant amazing.

But hey, I can't be the only one to be thinking, why can't we do both? And as I said before, the players are going to be the ones to decide. Not us.

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
Strong Bad is moving to P:M? That makes me sad :(

Everyone who plays P:M should play Melee too. Melee it's great.

I support this even though I thought this was a crew battle.

Also, play Smash 64, guys, it's a great game too and you can play with Game Cube controllers and even play online! :D

Corona

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you should be worrying about the vote. You're going to get people who would like to see this happen. Hell, I'd like to see it happen. But should I vote "no" since I'd rather see the format changed? You've seen the posts here split between your idea and another idea so wouldn't it be better to have asked which idea people liked better? The way this poll is set up, you're just asking for what you want to hear.

Also, yes. I was suggesting that the best players in the world who happen to main top tiers could be evenly matched against the best low tier mains. They might even win. (That's my bet despite rooting for the low tier heroes.) Ask yourself the question, "Does the player make the character, or does the character make the player?" I think we'd all agree that the people who have risen to the Top 8 of the World are amazing regardless of who they use. Obviously they wouldn't look amazing if they tried to play one of themselves while using a low tier. But somebody who is a couple rungs down the ladder in the Top 64 (32?) of the World? Somebody who would have no chance of beating M2K's Sheik? Yeah, I'd like to see if they can stand up to M2K's Mewtwo. And low tier mirror matches? I don't think we're going to see all the top players picking the same character. We'll get more variety then that.

So take the top people favored to win the tournament who aren't low tier mains (it'd be pretty interesting if any of them are good enough to break into the top 8). Then bring out the top low tier players and make them fight a low tier crew battle. Instant amazing.

But hey, I can't be the only one to be thinking, why can't we do both? And as I said before, the players are going to be the ones to decide. Not us.
I posted a new thread to have this debate in. Both of these ideas are great; lets see what the people want. http://smashboards.com/threads/lets-settle-this-which-would-you-rather-see.339628/

*Risen*

Smash Cadet
I love this idea. High tier list needs at least one iceies. Just my opinion. Anyway, that doesn't matter, what matters is that the idea for this event would be great, and I'd love to sit and watch it myself. It would provide the low tier using champions to shine instead of get smacked out of the top eight in most melee tournaments. I hope that this goes through!

Top Bottom