• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 8 (max) Custom Sets For Link

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Official Standard Custom Moveset
Link :4link:

Critical Sets:

Supplemental Sets:

@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos ' reasoning
He wasn't too tough; his three criticals were very obvious based on the discussion while a bit of my own ideas had to go into the supplementals but not too much. Basically Meteor Bombs and Boomerang are strongly favored by Links and both neutral-1 and neutral-2 are seen as important. I wanted to make sure to include a Whirling Leap variant as there's always a crowd that values recovery as the top priority. I kinda wanted to include Shocking Spin too, but 2222 exists and honestly Ripping Boomerang is probably more likely to actually get picked than Shocking Spin.
As part of an ongoing project to push customs into the competitive scene, we're seeking the 8 most popular/competitive sets of each character to apply to every tournament wii u to streamline the custom character selection.

Please provide a set, an explanation of it, and any other comments you'd like to include.
Note: Sets dedicated to countering certain characters are more than welcome. Especially for characters who function differently, or poorly against certain characters who otherwise perform well under default specials. Gimmicky, glitchy, or combinations just otherwise worth mentioning are welcome as well.
If there are more than 8 sets posted, we will have a poll to determine their popularity. This is more about time constraints and not forcing too many people to upload their own customs, not just competitive viability.
It looks like team Link has beaten me to the punch and are already really narrowing down which of Link's many items to have at the ready. To clarify a bit, what we're looking for is up to three critical sets that cover Link's best options in a variety of match-ups and then to fill up to slot 6 with supplemental options that may cover less mainstream, team-centric, or more match-up specific moveset options for the hero. Slots 7 and 8 will be used for 2222 and 3333 so the less popular moves can be explored by all players easily, and of course 9 and 10 are left open for imports. I have little doubt you guys will get things done from here in prompt order; you seem to be doing well so far.
Please use this template for submitting sets at the top of your post:
1111 (A default set)
1231 (Custom set with default neutral special, and down special)

Link's customs (in order):
Neutral Special: Hero's Bow(1), Power Bow(2), Quickfire Bow(3)
Side Special: Gale Boomerang(1), Boomerang(2), Ripping Boomerang(3)
Up Special: Hero's Spin(1), Shocking Spin(2), Whirling Leap(3)
Down Special: Bomb(1), Giant Bomb(2), Meteor Bomb(3)

Powerstar9's Submission:
image.jpg

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'm only interested in 3 sets:

You should really re-evaluate your sets Powerstar. Having the Power bow in all of them is not a good idea since characters with reflectors will kill you with it. Remember that to really use the Power Bow is has to be completely drawn, that takes time and thus gives a lot of change for them to take our their reflect (specially Fox who can just have it out forever.) This isn't just a matter of "be more safe" since ONE reflected PB shot will kill you and that's not a nice gamble to make. So I think that for characters with reflectors it's better to just have the Hero's Bow on and spam as normal.

I think that the Boomerang is a must. It's superior to the Gale in ever sense, period. There are no downsides to it at all. Well, it doesn't travel as far, but that's it.

I love meteor bombs and would like them to be used always. They are great for extending combos, setting up kill moves, gimping, and to cover your landing or as a defensive barrier. When an enemy is hit by them they're left stading still and unable to act for half a second, enough to start a combo or put out a kill move. HOWEVER, there are certain MUs where it might be a bad idea since they do explode in 3 seconds and if you're hit with a bomb in your hand it will kill you. It could also save you since it cuts your horizontal momentum, but this is dependent on damage.

I don't see any upside to the giant bomb, though I haven't used it so far. Same with the QuickFire bow or the other UpBs.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
For singles: 1213 / 1233
For teams/f4a: 3312

For singles: Boomerang is more useful in a singles environment than any other side-b option because it can break combos and so on, much more easily than the other two options. Regular spin attack because of damage and lag balance. Meteor bomb because of obvious reasons. The alternate option is so that I don't need bomb in hand to have that great recovery. This way I want be needing to worry about gimping myself with the meteor bomb.

For teams/f4a: I want to be able to hit more than one person at a time if enemies decide to line up with each other. The quickfire bow and ripping boomerang are great for that line-of-sight hit while the giant bomb is great for a little extra AoE damage. Basically, I want my attacks to be that much harder to avoid, and I want the opponents to either keep apart or take stupid amounts of damage.

Edit: I don't really care much for the Power Bow because of the reasons that Elessar mentioned. It really just doesn't seem like it is reliable enough. I want something that I can safely punish my opponent with. Besides, I've gimped and out-right KOed enough people with the Hero's Bow so I don't see any need for the Power Bow.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I'm only interested in 3 sets:

You should really re-evaluate your sets Powerstar. Having the Power bow in all of them is not a good idea since characters with reflectors will kill you with it. Remember that to really use the Power Bow is has to be completely drawn, that takes time and thus gives a lot of change for them to take our their reflect (specially Fox who can just have it out forever.) This isn't just a matter of "be more safe" since ONE reflected PB shot will kill you and that's not a nice gamble to make. So I think that for characters with reflectors it's better to just have the Hero's Bow on and spam as normal.

I think that the Boomerang is a must. It's superior to the Gale in ever sense, period. There are no downsides to it at all. Well, it doesn't travel as far, but that's it.

I love meteor bombs and would like them to be used always. They are great for extending combos, setting up kill moves, gimping, and to cover your landing or as a defensive barrier. When an enemy is hit by them they're left stading still and unable to act for half a second, enough to start a combo or put out a kill move. HOWEVER, there are certain MUs where it might be a bad idea since they do explode in 3 seconds and if you're hit with a bomb in your hand it will kill you. It could also save you since it cuts your horizontal momentum, but this is dependent on damage.

I don't see any upside to the giant bomb, though I haven't used it so far. Same with the QuickFire bow or the other UpBs.
Lol, yeah, should've realized how predictable the power bow is against Human players. I was making the list late at night, mind you. The Giant Bomb is pretty intimidating to the other opponent. Deals a good chunk of damage and hitstun when taken out. Although it doesn't explode on contact, the opponent can easily end up picking it up and get caught in the large blast radius. Pretty good for offstage use. The only problem is that since it doesn't explode on contact, it can hurt Link. Just got to properly space with the giant bomb to get the most effect out of it.
Haven't really tested out the QuickFire bow myself. Any1 put it into practical use?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I tested it and didn't like it. It's just like Fox's laser int hat it has no knockback not hitstun at all. However, it has a stupidly short range, too short. If I remember correct it's just slightly longer than our Zair. Considering the hitlag that the bow has it seemed like suicidal to put it in use.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
I think it's worth mentioning that the Gale Boomerang can be used to gimp recovering characters when you throw it at the edge of the stage properly. It's a bit tricky to pull off, but it does have uses on characters whose recoveries aren't flipping insane.

Other than that, though, I agree. The greater projectile pressure that the regular boomerang gets over the Gale Boomerang due to chip damage and flinching on the return is probably a lot more useful.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
So from what i've seen, these are the most commonly used sets: 1211, 1213, 2213. Just like Elessar mentioned. You guys thinks these should be the standard customs to use/practice with or should we look into custom link a little more?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I feel that those are the best combinations possible. However, the idea of customs is also to customize the char to your game style. I'd say we need to experiment and test more. It would be stupid not to do so since we might be limiting the meta.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
That's true. There's like 50+ different combinations with so many different playstyles. Once we get Vanilla Link figured out, we can discuss Custom Link in the metagame thread (dang, that discussion will take a long time...).

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It looks like team Link has beaten me to the punch and are already really narrowing down which of Link's many items to have at the ready. To clarify a bit, what we're looking for is up to three critical sets that cover Link's best options in a variety of match-ups and then to fill up to slot 6 with supplemental options that may cover less mainstream, team-centric, or more match-up specific moveset options for the hero. Slots 7 and 8 will be used for 2222 and 3333 so the less popular moves can be explored by all players easily, and of course 9 and 10 are left open for imports. I have little doubt you guys will get things done from here in prompt order; you seem to be doing well so far.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I like using non custom Link. I guess once I've figured vanilla Link, I might start messing around with the meteor bombs.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I know that Pac-Man's apple has a meteor effect but does any other projectile have a meteor effect like the meteor bomb? I think that this thing brings Link's projectile spam to ridiculous levels. However, I'm probably one of the few Link mains who have really messed around with different projectiles. The ripping boomerang has a shorter range but has a combined gale boomerang and regular boomerang effect. As it rips through the opponent is pulls or pushes them slightly and is capable of dealing damage both ways. The shocking spin on the other hand is like Toon Link's up-b or Pikachu's down smash. It does the whole pull 'em in and knock 'em out thing. But it has a bit more ending lag and isn't so hot in the air. The giant bomb is just gimmicky and overwhelming in small spaces (though it also takes forever to pull out that monstrosity). And lastly there's the bows. I don't mind the quickfire bow in some situations but over all I just really don't see any reason to mess with the hero's bow if it's not needed. Power bow is too risky, IMO, and quickfire doesn't do much more than hit multiple targets if you happen to time it right. No knockback might come in handy once in a blue moon as well, but it's still less user friendly than the hero's bow.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
This is a video by NinjaLink where he showcases every custom special for Link so you can see the properties of each special even if you haven't unlocked them yet.

So, after personally testing the customs this is my opinion on each of them (I'll only talk about the customs, not vanilla specials, and all moves were tested on Mario in the middle of FD):

Neutral Special
Power Bow(2): I think this is a great custom since it gives Link an extra KO move but it comes with at a price (as most of Link's custom moves do). The arrow will only work as "an arrow" if fully drawn; if it's not fully drawn not only will the arrow be really slow but it also won't travel very far. In fact, if you simply tap the B button the arrow falls right at your feet. This means that Link has essentially lost one of his projectiles for his spam game, so if you're going to use the PB you need to be a lot more aggressive to compensate for that. However, the arrow still has quite a strong knockback even when not fully drawn, and yes, even when it falls at your feet (slightly more than the Gale I believe). So you can let it go before it's fully drawn and, if timed right or used appropriately you can hit your opponent with the arrow. Also, since the arrow falls tot he ground it could be used to hit opponent hanging from the ledge, but the knockback isn't that big and due to the hitlag of the PB it doesn't seem possible to capitalize on it.. This however is extremely situational and not to be counted on. There are other more effective and safer ways to attack hanging opponent.

The really interesting thing about this bow though is that if used to gimp someone, when fully drawn, that person is dead. The knockback is simply too big and if it doesn't kill them (so far every single gimp I've had with it ends in a KO) it should knock them back far enough as to make returning to the ledge impossible. The kill % is 90, so it is a very strong KO move.

As I said before though, this bow cannot be used against any character with a reflector, specially Fox (since he can just sit on his reflector indefinitely). The shot of the bow is extremely telegraphed and so your opponent will have enough time to reflect it in almost every case. I could still be used for mind games, but crippling our projectile game seems like too high a price to pay.

Quickfire Bow(3): This bow doesn't have a big range, but it goes through anything in it's path. So the shot only stops at a certain distance. In 1v1 this is important since, as NL's video shows, the arrow will cancel other projectiles and keep going. This could be good against some characters, but I don't see this strat working for long since the hitlag of putting the bow, while reduced, is still there which can lead to punishes. The damage is good at 8%, but it has no knockback nor it causes flinching so you are basically defenseless while spamming it. I usually say that it's just just like Fox's vanilla Laser, but worse due to the shorter range. I personally can't see any reason to use this bow since there just aren't enough perks to compensate for the downfalls. I do insist that we should keep testing this nonetheless since it could still be useful.

Side Special
Boomerang(2): This is the Smash 64 boomerang by all accounts. It has the same initial knockback as the Gale, but when it returns it has a single hitbox. This is great for extending combos, breaking combos, and setups since it's an extra hitbox out there that then opponent has to keep in mind even while attacking. It does more damage than the Gale (Gale does 6% - 7% and Boomerang does 8% - 9%). The knockback is ideal for follow up and setups since it seems to be a set knockback distance for damage ranges, and the angle is always horizontal at a nice height that allows for it to be comboed with a dash attack. This means that you can hit your opponent at blank range with the boomerang at 90% and follow with a tippered dash attack for an early kill. By comparison, the gale has a vertical knockback that even at early % becomes difficult to follow up with an aerial. When returning the boomerang has a jab like hitbox that causes 2% damage. It also has the exact same range or distance as the Gale.

This is a must, personally. The benefits of having this special over the Gale are simply too many and too big. I know that you can also setup with the gale and you have Gale guard, but they don't even compare to all the things you can get to do with this boomerang. It's simply that good.

Ripping Boomerang(3): This boomerang has extremely limited range and the throw doesn't seem to be possible to angle. It is an interesting choice nonetheless, but much like the Power Bow it forces you to not play campy defensive but rather aggro. This is because the range is really limited and so for the boomerang to be effective it can only be used at extremely close range. Again it seems that you can follow up the boomerang with a dash attack, which should be a guaranteed hit considering that your opponent is being locked by the ripping effect. This can be very very useful since a tippered dash attack can kill at 100% and so this combo becomes very interesting for a close up aggressive Link. The cost is again your camping game since due tot he limited range you can't keep the opponent away with it.

Personally, the Boomerang is the be all end all of the sideB, but I can see the use in this Ripping effect and as such I think that it just comes down more to personal taste and game style.

Up Special
Shocking Spin(2): This recovery comes with a heavy price. It has insane knockback and damage, but as a recovery it's just as bad or worse than Mac's vanilla upB. It could be considered as the Power Bow of the recoveries, since it gives you a very powerful hitbox on stage, but at a considerable price, our recovery. Even taking into account that this time around Link has an insanely long tether recovery, it's still not enough since the tether isn't that long (it's about 1/3 of FD) and it's again going back to Brawl days, where being thrown off stage meant basically a stock against top characters.

I honestly don't see the appeal nor the potential of this move at all. However, once again I do advocate the thorough testing of it since it could still be useful when combined with other customs, and also because I don't want us limiting the meta this early.

Whirling Leap(3): This recovery is simply amazing, but it works only as that, a recovery. I has no hitbox at all at any moment, so again this comes at a price for Link. The benefits are that we gain amazing air mobility with it and it travels a lot, so our recovery is quite boosted. How every, it doesn't sweetspot the ledge and since it has no hitbox we are basically defenseless while trying to recover with it. An opponent can easily gimp us in anyway he seems fit with this recovery if timed right.

I don't really see a reason to use this recovery considering that our standard recovery is quite decent this time around and it gives us the added benefit of a hitbox. Not only that, but at higher percentages it can even kill at 110% when done in the air. It warrants more testing as every other special, but I don't see much of a future for it.

Down Special
Giant Bomb(2): This bomb is intimidating due to it's size. It only explodes when its timer runs out or when hit by another explosion. This means that its uses are mostly setups and traps unless timed really well. The fuse is also short, it explodes at 3 seconds, and it doesn't travel much when thrown. It does 8% damage, doesn't have a big knockback, but it has a huge blast radius. This means that the bomb could be useful for stage control, but again not as a part of our spam game.

It would be really interesting to see decent use of this bomb, however to use it effectively would be to play a completely different Link from the one we're used to playing. We'd have to be less spammy, more aggro, and have stage control more than spacing/zoning in mind at all times.

Meteor Bomb(3): These bombs only explode upon contact with the opponent or after its timer has expired. It's fuse is of 2 seconds, so you don't have a lot of time to do anything once the bomb is out.This means that your spam game with this bomb has to be fast and dynamic. The bomb does 5% damage and the spike effect does start until at least 35% and even then it's not that strong. Even still, when it hit an opponent it has hitstun, even if it doesn't have knockback. This means that it can be used to extend combos, or as a defensive tool since it will stop any rushing opponent on its track. Add this to a follow up and you have a nice setup tool. At higher percentages, once the spike effect starts, the hitstun is increased considerably and thus it leaves the opponent open for more options of follow up. The downside is that you can't use the bomb to help you recover since it will spike you. This could be useful since it could spike you onto the stage, but it's not something to rely on by any means. One final notable characteristic is that the bomb loses all knockback properties if another active hitbox is out. So if you put out an Nair while the bomb explodes in your hand you'll receive the damage but not the spike effect.

I love this bomb and would use it over the other two bombs. It is however a risk since this bomb can kill you just as much as it can kill the opponent. Its short fuse however means that should the opponent be skillful enough to catch your bombs, he won't have enough time to throw it back at you and connect the hit.

Conclusion
I maintain my choice of 1213, 2213, and 1211 as the must custom setups. These seem to cover the strongest base options for every MU quite nicely since you always have a decent solid spam/camp game, extra kill moves, gimping options without really sacrificing anything major like recovery, defensive options, or losing hitboxes.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
And I still think the ripping boomerang and giant bomb are great when not play 1v1. By the way, the blast of the giant bomb could be used for recovery purposes to compensate for the weak recovery potential of the shocking spin. What do you think?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Actually if you check NL's video, towards the end of the first match (min 3:20) when he's showcasing the Shocking Spin he tests that and no, it's still not enough to make it to the ledge. The shocking spin just doesn't travel that far. For that to work you'd have to be really close tot he ledge, so it's extremely situational. You could test it with regular bombs, but Giant bombs just don't have enough knockback.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I like aggressive link so my style is different. In brawl I was always doing something crazy like following zair into dacus. Pm was all about Sex kick and jabs.

That said the ripping is really great for Me. I can combo this into a disaster for my opponent. I don't have shocking spin yet but I can combo this into a regular up b. The insanity of adding shocking would make link a disjointed monster.

I'm liking 1312 as a stage control aggro link. I can use the big bombs to force opponents to play away from certain parts of the stage and right into my disjointed combo game. It feels really different. A little it like a snake nade game with punishing disjointed hit boxes when they approach.

For match ups where I need more offstage nair presence I am going with 1233. Use that additional rang range to hit them once I get them offstage and the follow up with the nairs. Up b so good I can throw out 3 and still me it back

O I have to get this in. Why Nintendo why!!! Make one of the bomb specials a bombchu!!

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Updated the OP and refined my suggestions. Link costumes included!
image.jpg

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Updated the OP and refined my suggestions. Link costumes included!
View attachment 31339
Great way of stealing my submissions as your own. Also, screw you for now including any red Link. You'll always just be a tryhard for that, Coward Link.

Now, that does raise an interesting question. How about colors? If they predetermine sets, those come with costume color included, means we can't change them to our own colors.

I vote for all red...except crappy 3322, that can stay as craven Link.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I usually use Whirling Leap, Meteor Bombs (Bless them, they're amazing), Boomerang and Power Arrows

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Great way of stealing my submissions as your own. Also, screw you for now including any red Link. You'll always just be a tryhard for that, Coward Link.

Now, that does raise an interesting question. How about colors? If they predetermine sets, those come with costume color included, means we can't change them to our own colors.

I had some of these suggestions in mind anyways, even before this thread was created. So technically, I'm not "stealing." I left out Red because I want him to represent the best set. I'll take that as a compliment. :estatic:

It would help to distinguish each set from each other with different colors, but I think we can all agree on green Link for 1211 because it's the original. I want a Dark Link set, but idk what set Dark would go with. Probably something sinister/aggro...

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice

I can't imagine they'd prohibit changing to your preferred colour if they let us play against Meta Knight for years.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I can't imagine they'd prohibit changing to your preferred colour if they let us play against Meta Knight for years.
Thing is, when you transfer a custom set from a 3DS to a Wii U it gets transferred along with the costume color that set create with on the 3DS and I don't know if you can change it again on the Wii U. I haven't tried yet.

Besides the 3 I chose originally (before Powerscrub9 copied them to feed his ego) I'd like to also suggest:

These seem interesting for a very aggro Link. They still to be fully tested, but the idea is for a less spammy much more melee offensive Link based on locks and traps. It could result in a very interesting Link, but it demands an entirely different meta for it to be fully taken advantage of.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Found something pretty cool for ripping boomerang+meteor bomb (works at high%): if you take out a bomb and then immediately do rang>bombthrow on the opponent when they're close to the edge, it will take them offstage and kill them due to the combination of the "ripping" effect and the "meteor" effect. You gotta do it fast because the bomb has a short timer (2 seconds), and the ripping boomerang's startup pretty much shaves a full second off that time.

RRang+MBomb is pretty cool combination overall due to the many moves you can follow up with (grab, dash attack, etc.). Calling it the ripping meteor (RM).

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Found something pretty cool for ripping boomerang+meteor bomb (works at high%): if you take out a bomb and then immediately do rang>bombthrow on the opponent when they're close to the edge, it will take them offstage and kill them due to the combination of the "ripping" effect and the "meteor" effect. You gotta do it fast because the bomb has a short timer (2 seconds), and the ripping boomerang's startup pretty much shaves a full second off that time.

RRang+MBomb is pretty cool combination overall due to the many moves you can follow up with (grab, dash attack, etc.). Calling it the ripping meteor (RM).
That's a nice name actually. Also, it can see how that would work indeed nicely, it seems like a beautiful edge guard as well, specially since you can follow that ripping with an off stage tipped dash attack as well in case you don't have a bomb. I can see this working with a VERY aggro Link.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Are there any standards yet? In my area I'm hoping to convince TO's to run things with custom specials enabled. The real problem is with earning all the specials on each machine. Speaking of... is there any solution to this, maybe moving saved data from one console to another?

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Hmmm... Any1 think I should create a poll? If so, I'm thinking about putting up 8 or 10 sets in the poll and pick the top 3 from there, but I'm not sure what sets to put on there. Or should we decide this some other way?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Are there any standards yet? In my area I'm hoping to convince TO's to run things with custom specials enabled. The real problem is with earning all the specials on each machine. Speaking of... is there any solution to this, maybe moving saved data from one console to another?
There is a solution if people have a 3ds. You can copy your setups (as in, customized chars you've already created in the 3DS) to th eWii U and have them there. You don't copy the customs, so it's not like you'll have the customs unlocked to create new customized chars, but you can copy the customized chars from your 3DS. This way you really need just one 3DS with every custom unlocked and you'll be able to create and copy every custom set there.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I prefer this as my main set up.
Power Bow (2)
Spin Attack (1)
Returning Boomerang (3?)
Giant Bomb (2?)

Or this one...
Power Bow (2)
Spin Attack (1)
Ripping Boomerang (2)
Meteor Bomb (3)

Giant Bombs are used to set up traps, I can also kind of invincible bomb with the huge explosion while in the air dodge animation while running towards the opponent hoping he will get hit but the explosion, so then I can follow up with an Up-air combo at high % or dair or nair at low %.
And because the Giant Bombs are used as trapping tools along with the long distance from the returning boomerang, I find that my power arrow shots hit more often since they have to defend against the other projectiles that are kind of just hanging out there near by them. Power Shot is surprisingly effective at getting kills especially with this set up. I guess ripping boomerange can be used too.

I prefer the default Up+B. Its a good mix of recovery and power. I never really liked Shocking Spin attack, Link needs a good recovery, unless on a flat stage like Mario Galaxy. Whirling Spin Attack isn't really that good for recovery like you think it is. Yes, it has great distance but its hard to sweet spot the ledge with this, you usually get hit by an attack if you do try to get back up on stage. After playing around with it, I found that its probably Link's worst choice in Up+B. At least shocking Up+B is good on some for fun stages.
I actually love most of Link's customs. Quick Fire Bow and Whirling Spin attack just seems useless to me though.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
For EVO purposes, all 10 slots are going to be used, and we're all a few months wiser anyway. Here are Link's current sets in the project:

Do any Hylian heroes have thoughts about how these sets might need improved or about what else we should add? A giant bomb set seems like a common sense choice (like 1212), but that still leaves some room. Thoughts?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I stand by my choice of 1211. I am convinced that this is the best set up for Link.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
If 1211 means the Melee boomerang, I agree. His other specials are already good, or the alternatives don't have much to offer. Melee boomerang is all he needs. His current recovery is just fine, regular bombs are most useful (the fuse is short enough as it is, it makes you too predictable to have a 3 second fuse no matter how good the bombs are), and honestly his regular bow is much improved already. It does better damage over Brawl and his better mobility combined with the angles it shoots at now just work so much better. Power bow seems too situational and quickdraw bow has awful range and damage. And Melee boomerang is, and always has been, far superior to the gale boomerang.

Could maybe see 1213 (meaning meteor bomb?) having some uses but those are the only sets I see any value in honestly.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
The best sets are hands down 1211 (that's the rang) and 1213 (rang and meteor bomb). The only downside of meteor bombs is that you can't use them for recovery, but other than that they are awesome for combos. However, I have learnt to really abuse bombs for recovery and am not sure I want to sacrifice that.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Quick question about link and the meteor bombs, since dtilt bounces them up onstage, can't you use the item attack AT while holding a meteor bomb to pop them up with dtilt, throw the meteor bomb up at them immediately, and then upsmash since it brings them back down?

A bit situational, due to them needing to be so close... But it's a kill set-up in theory.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Quick question about link and the meteor bombs, since dtilt bounces them up onstage, can't you use the item attack AT while holding a meteor bomb to pop them up with dtilt, throw the meteor bomb up at them immediately, and then upsmash since it brings them back down?

A bit situational, due to them needing to be so close... But it's a kill set-up in theory.
Iirc, you can't dtilt while holding at item, just ftilt and fsmash. However, even if you could this scenario is improvable due to three factors:

1) Meteor bombs explode on 3 secs approx, which means that you don't have a lot of time to do it from the moment you pull the bomb out, and pulling out bombs has a lot of lag. Since most people would be able to react before you pull out the bomb, you need to be holding on to the bomb already. The timing would be strict and situational, but it could be possible to get the timing right.

2) Dtilt has a lot of ending lag, so I think that you won't be able to toss the bomb on time to hit the opponent at higher percentages due to the increased knockback. So this might be able to work only at a certain dmg range or up to a given dmg percentage. This should be tested out but I believe that it can't be done.

3) The meteor effect doesn't kick in until a certain percentage, so you need to see if this percentage overlaps with the knockback window that you're able to still hit the opponent with the bomb after the dtilt.

Also, I'd change for a tipped fsmash, dsmash, or even sweetspotted dair since those are kill moves while Usmash isn't a reliable kill move anymore (it requires too high % to enter kill %). This is in theory as well since I'm at work and thus can't test it. It's worth giving it a shot in training, but I really don't see this setup being viable.

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
The only problem I've had with link since release is the gale boomerang. With custom set 1211, link is absolutely perfect is all ways ;)

Meteor bombs are pretty fun too.
The other day I landed a super sick bomb slide up throw, under my opponent. The bomb spiked him down into an Usmash. It was really sexy.
However, I usually pull a bomb first thing when I get sent far (for recovery) and you can't do that with meteor bombs. So Ill just stick with 1211

Last edited:
Top Bottom