• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 Newcomer Trailers!

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
SOOOOO MANY NEWCOMERS

So if you're a big smash fan you've probably watched every single trailer by now...
Give me your top 5 trailers and why they're good...

Mine are:
1. :4littlemac:That music, the jogging theme... The one we (should) all know and love, when I heard that music I almost exploded, I was soo excited for playing as him

2. :rosalina:What a surprise! Rosalina was a really good character for Smash Bros. and I was more than excited for her, and I knew she was going to be in... That trailer was amazing! showing that she's in smash AND mario kart 8 blew everyones mind. (Also dat kirby and luma dance :3)

3.:4lucina::4robinm:I've played through FE: Awakening and it was amazing! Seeing those characters in the game was awesome, because we finally got 4 FE reps, and I'm also glad the art style was the same as FE:A cutscenes (:4falcon:Looks amazing, too)

4.:4pacman:Pac-Man was one of the most requested characters, and I'm glad he's in... I'm also really glad that sakurai chose that design for Pac-Man and not the Ghostly Adventures one... When we saw that yellow we all knew that it was Pac-Man :3

5.:4greninja:I know you think I'm crazy for putting him on 5th... But I just don't know who Greninja is... Sooo yeah >.>
(His trailer was awesome though :3:4charizard:)

What are your top 5 char. trailers?

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
1. Mega Man
2-5. It doesn't matter because Mega Man's trailer was perfect. Absolutely friggen perfect. It's exactly how you do a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV5nH1kToa8

1. At the end of the trailer showcasing old favorites in your new game, have a warning appear to showcase a newcomer.
2. Have the fighters look on in the distance as a shadowy figure with an ambiguous shape stands far above them. Make sure we can't see who it is by their shape alone (sorry Mewtwo fans, this wouldn't have worked for you guys).
3. Zoom in on them enough that they're distinguishable from the background, then activate something that makes them so iconic there is absolutely no way anyone could miss it- Mega Man putting his helmet on.
4. Finish up with the reveal and his badass intro music playing before showing the character in full light with his title card.
5. Showcase his moveset. Make sure he's beating up everyone present in number 2. Zoom in on him to show off his movements, if for nothing else to boast your level of detail.
6. This is a split. Either you have a ton more fighters enter the scene and he has to take the kid gloves off, or show him getting pounded on because he's not using his full power. Either way, showcase the second most iconic thing about the character- their unique powers. In the case of Mega Man, the power to have all the powers. Make sure you have him curbstomping multiple opponents at the same time. Cutscenes are usually best to do this, but don't shirk gameplay footage- show us WE can do that too.
7. Ensure you play the most badass music you can think of from the character's game series during this scene to get someone hyped. You want people playing this character. He's the shiny new hotness. We love shiny new hotness.

Mega Man and Sonic are two characters who 100% needed to be in the game, regardless of other third-party characters or old favorites from our childhood. Sonic is Mario's Rival, and Mega Man has a legacy to match either of them. They are the Big Three. I know they hinted at Mega Man's addition before the trailer, but the reveal was one of the most memorable in recent history. Mega Man's trailer is exactly how they should do reveal trailers. They got close with Greninja's trailer and Pac Man's trailer, but Mega Man's was the pinnacle.

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
1. Megaman - For all the above reasons^^

2. Mii Fighters - Does this count? This totally counts, the Reggie/Iwata faceoff was freaking badass aahhhahahah

3. Pac-Man - I must've been lucky first seeing it, I woke up, found out there was a Smash trailer for "Something" and blindly clicked it, I didn't know it was Pac-Man but aahrhhff it was so exciting seeing him in the game, if not just to rub it in some friend's's faces who didn't believe he'd be in.

4. Robin - This was so weirdly surprising to see, it broke ground and confused everybody who once believed the Gematsu Leak and made the future foggy. It wasn't the trailer itself which did that, more the circumstances, but the hype was real and it sparked a lot of interest.

5. Shulk - I ain't no Xenoblade player, but finding out "The underdog of all the leaks" was confirmed to be in the game made me giddy, and his playstyle looked so cool and everything in it looked so different and interesting, it was exciting to see him in the game.

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
1 - Robin/Lucina (absolute hype)
2 - Little Mac (a buttload of hype)
3 - Shulk (it all looked cool)
4 - Greninja (he looks really nice to play as)
5 - Palutena (seriously, animated Link goodness, how awesome is that? ... Also a sweet moveset display)

Raijinken

Smash Master
1 - Robin. Best ever, no others come close. Fire Emblem is my favorite game series, and while I was suckered into expecting Shulk from that trailer, I'd been hoping for Robin for months.
2 - Shulk (in Japanese, didn't sound right in English since all of my Xenoblade play was with Japanese voicing)
3 - Megaman. Knowing all the moves and references made me so hype.
4 - Little Mac. Punch Out fan, nice to see him here.
5 - Palutena. Pre-Robin, I considered maining her since I was wanting a magic user that wasn't Zelda.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
1. :4littlemac: The build-up, music, and the gameplay section all outdoes everyone else's trailers. Like, we know it's Little Mac the second we see the shadow, but after that it still manages to build a lot of hype. The gameplay section also clearly shows us that Mac is incredible on the ground, but weak as **** in the air. Heck, we all knew Little Mac was in this game the second it was announced, but this trailer still made it so exciting, even as someone who wasn't a fan of him previously.
2. :4robinm::4lucina::4falcon: If not for killing Gematsu, then for confirming two newcomers and a veteran, and if not for even that then because Captain Falcon blocked Lucina's sword with his fist. That and the FE cinematic artstyle looked great.
3. :4greninja::4charizard: Mostly the Charizard portion of it honestly, he was incredibly cool in it. I like Pokémon a lot though, so it was just neat in itself.
4. :4megaman: Because it's Mega Man. Seriously though, it's insanely hype when he throws that Metal Blade at Mario and Link.
5. :4shulk: I'm really feeling it! I had no idea what was going on since I'm not a Xenoblade fan, but laser swords are cool, so I was totally game at that point.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't really have a Top 5, but the most enjoyable ones to me were Robin/Lucina and Rosalina. Well, first of all because of Lucina, but secondly because both trailers were set up to majorly mislead us on what was going on.

The Greninja trailer kind of did that, too... But the rest of them were straightforward and for the most part didn't really introduce any character I'm interested in.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
1. Robin / Lucina - Absolute hype. Two characters I never knew I wanted alongside my old pal himself. I cried that day. I cried all of the tears.

2. Palutena - Gorgeous anime presentations and the glorious debut of my most-wanted newcomer. Good times were had by all.

3. Pac-Man - Gloriously simple, but totally effective. The crowd's reaction is what made it for me.

4. Shulk - I'm not even a Xenoblade fan and this made me giggle with unadulterated delight. It really does represent a new frontier for Smash and endles potential for Nintendo as a whole.

5. Greninja - A beautiful shout-out to Pokémon and its infinite variety. The fight scenes are also top-drawer.

And honorable mention goes to Rosalina. I've seldom seen my little brother as happy.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
1 - Of course I'm gonna talk about the return of the most Smashing guy around. :4falcon:
...oh wait there were newcomers there too.. I almost forgot because the entire trailer was completely demolished by the sheer visual of Captain Falcon basically toying with Lucina.

2 - :4megaman:!!! My most wanted Newcomer from Melee finally made it in. And man at the time he was announced he looked absolutely STUNNING. I am in love with Megaman's trailer and I watch it every so often just to reminisce about that fateful E3.

3 - :4littlemac: LITTLE ****ING MAC BABY!!!!!!!! As a fan of the original Punch Out!! this trailer blew me out of the damn water. I absolutely FLIPPED when I saw that pink sweat jacket and those green gloves. AND THE JOGGING THEME. OH BABY THE JOGGING THEME.

4 - :4pacman: PACMAN!! I hate, HATE the new design for Pacman, so when I read on Nintendo's twitter that the Pac was in, I was so upset. I thought they had used his terrible redesign with the ugly teeth and eyes. Then I saw the trailer and OH MY GOD. So hype not to mention the mere mention of the ultimate Smash Staple :4gaw:

(EDITED) 5 - :4palutena: OK so. I'm a pretty pathetic dude. I fawn over fictional girls in my free time (which is a lot of time) and Palutena is one of those virtual vixens. The anime trailer looked FANTASTIC and the fan service was just enough. The little exchange at the end between Palutena and Viridi made the trailer THAT MUCH more hype educing.

Last edited:

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
1. Robin & Lucina
Still can't believe both Robin and Lucina are in. I get chills every time.

2. Greninja
Never saw this coming.

3. Mega Man
I've never played a Mega Man game but you can tell there was a ton of love put into the character.

4. Palutena
That Boss Fight music though...

5. Pac-man
Pretty epic trailer for a character I never realized I wanted.

Xerneas

Smash Cadet
1. :4littlemac:- Mac isn't a character I really cared for before his announcement since I've never played his games, but his trailer was just perfect. The animation, music, everything, plus it made me excited for a character I didn't care about, he looks like a lot of fun to play as

2.:4palutena:- Palutena was the one newcomer I wanted that got in (although I'm excited for most of the newcomers even though I didn't want them at first) and I loved her, Pit's, and Viridi's commentary, it's just like how it was in Uprising. The fight scene with Link was cool too, and I really liked the music and animation. Palutena looks like a really fun character to play as although I was a bit disappointed that every one of her moves are Pit's from Uprising, since some like Autoreticle, Explosive Flame, Rocket Jump, and Black Hole don't seem like something a goddess of light would be using

3. :4greninja:- Not for Greninja though, I was actually disappointed about Greninja being in because I don't like Greninja at all and would have rather had any other gen 6 pokemon as the gen 6 rep, but whatever. Pokemon is my favorite series in Smash and Charizard and all the other pokemon were awesome in it, so that makes up for the ugly and boring newcomer

4. :4wiifit:- The trailer was funny and Wii Fit Trainer was the only shocking/really unexpected newcomer, I loved people's reactions and she seems like a lot of fun to play

5.:rosalina:- Kirby and Luma were adorable, DK was funny, the animation was pretty. It wasn't anything special but it was nice to look at

Didn't care much for :4robinm:/:4lucina:, :4shulk:, and :4megaman:'s, the quality of the animation was nice but they aren't characters I care about and they didn't make me excited to play as them unlike Little Mac's

:4pacman:'s was disappointing, I love that he's in Smash and he looks like a lot of fun to play as, but his trailer could have been so much better

:4villager:'s was funny but he wasn't there for most of it

:4mii:'s was okay, the Miis look like a lot of fun but their trailer didn't excite me and it's disappointing that they can't be used online

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll probably say...

1. Rosalina: I like how the trailer was handled, especially with the Kirby and Luma interaction.
  2. Greninja: Pretty amusing how Greninja interfered with the fight between Mario and Charizard.
  3. Little Mac: Seeing the size comparison between Samus and Little Mac was a good laugh.
  4. Shulk: While I don't really know Shulk nor his franchise, parts of his trailer had some amusing moments, such as Bowser looking at an insect flying by.
  5. Mega Man: An exciting moment when Mega Man tossed saw blades at Mario and Link.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
5. Rosalina & Luma- I just saw Rosalina on the site, and watched the trailer and enjoyed it really. Nothing in particular, I just liked it.
4. Villager- Technically it's his trailer, right? It's the first trailer they showed, how could I NOT include it?
3. Lucina/Robin- Expected Shulk, got Robin. A very nice turnout IMO
2. Little Mac- I knew from pretty much the first 5 seconds who it was, but it was just nice to see such a cool retro character get in.
1. Mega Man- I actually screamed his name a couple times and hummed along to the Wily Castle music enthusiastically the first time I saw it. I absolutely love the part where Mario dodges the Metal Blade and he drops coins.

Last edited:

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
5. :4palutena:They gave it away in the beginning, which was annoying, but I LOVE the animation.
4. :4robinm:Captain Falcon gets this one bonus points, but I mostly like this one because it was a legitimate surprise to see Gematsu killed and the art style was awesome.
3. :4mii:This one was just entertaining. Very different, but in a good way, and it did surprise me when I found out it was Smash Bros.
2. :4littlemac:Loses points because it was obvious in the first few seconds who it was, but I love the music and the animation.
1. :4greninja: This one still gives me goosebumps. It had everything you could want in a reveal trailer. SUPER intense music, excellent animation, and it honestly was a huge surprise. I was sure it was Mewtwo.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
1. :4megaman: The Super Fighting Robot himself
Let's face it, this trailer was the coal for the hype train. It induced so my hype it's ridiculous, At first I was, "Oh yeah, a new Smash Bros!" Then it after the Megaman trailer it left my jaw wide open. I don't even plan on maining Megaman, but I appreciate his trailer. It's still glorious when I go back to it.

2. :4robinm:/:4robinf:/:4lucina:/:4falcon: Fanservice at it's best
Okay, I've never played a Fire Emblem game in my life. In fact, I didn't know it was Fire Emblem until the music started playing. All I knew was Captain Falcon was back and he was still wrecking souls. In fact, when I saw Robin the first thing I thought was he was ghetto Roxas from Kingdom Hearts. I still call him that for giggles. Without knowing the series, I didn't appreciate the trailer as much as others did, but I like all the memes spawned from it. This one in particular:

3. :4pacman:The feels
The trailer wasn't that great, to be honest. Just the feeling of having all big 4 companies of the 80s/90s era was amazing enough. However, the tidbit at the end with Game and Watch was cute

4. :4littlemac:Who stole my bike?
Just from the music in the beginning, I didn't need anymore. I was straight up fanboying the hell out of this trailer. The art was great, hearing Doc Louis was great, and the gameplay was jaw dropping.

5.:4shulk:Leak Confirmed
Sadly enough, this trailer doesn't get enough praise because of the leak. It was nice to see that it was real but because of the leak this one didn't rank as high as the other ones because of it. It lost what the other ones had which was the surprise factor. Amazing CGI nonetheless and the spawn of the Shulk memes was nice too.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
5th
Mega Man
The only thing that did it for me, literally, was the MM2 remix medley that played. Otherwise, meh.

EDIT: I take it back. Pac-Man ranks number 5. Mega Man's doesn't even chart.

5th Pac-Man
A bizarrely fun trailer. The only trailer that actually left me confused about what the hell is this character doing?

4th
Little Mac
Fun trailer, loved the animated parts, and Doc commentating.

3rd
Robin
Animation reminiscent of Awakening, I've always loved the voice acting in that game and those voices were used here, and just a enticing trailer.

2nd
Greninja
The absolute highlight of the Smadh Direct. Showed off three awesome Pokèmon, generally got me excited (finally) for this game.

1st
Rosalina
So fu***** adorable. Mario Kart reference, Kirby interacting with the Luma was gold, Donkey Kong interacting with Kirby was gold, Mario Galaxy music playing was gold.

Last edited:

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
1.) :4greninja:/:4charizard:- My favorite Water Pokemon and my favorite Fire Pokemon in 1 trailer :D One of the reasons why I joined here

2.) :4pacman:- Pac Man is y childhood and he looks absolutely amazing.

3.) :4lucina:/:4robinm:/:4falcon:- Did not expect Lucina or Robin at all. I was predicting Chrom but they work too c: Also good ol Cap'n is back ^.^

4.) :4littlemac:- Awesome trailer

5.) :4palutena:- Smash Bros in anime form. God yes

Laikue

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thatguylaikue
3DS FC
4356-1192-5913
1.:4falcon::4lucina::4robinm: - Undoubtedly the best, the feigning reveal of Chrom, the sleek animation, the epicness of the Captain Falcon-Lucina fight, and the ultimate reveal of Robin were all just amazing. (My only complaint is the Music they used during gameplay, I really don't like the Fire Emblem theme from Melee)
2.:4mii::4miif: :yeahboi:- Close Second, I absolutely loved this one, Reggie and Iwata were just amazing in it. Plus, it finally confirmed Reggie :lick:
3.:4greninja::4charizard: - Okay, so, Pokemon is my favorite series outside of Super Smash Bros. and honestly, I am upset that Pokemon Trainer was cut, since it cut my favorite non-main chracter from Brawl, Ivyasau. But enough going off-topic, this trailer was freaking awesome, Charizard acts like a total badass all throughout it, and I like how they made it more about all the Pokemon in Smash rather than just Greninja (sans :4jigglypuff:).
4.:4palutena::4darkpit: - I don't care that they spoiled it at he beginning, mostly because we'd known about her for months in advance and would've saw it coming from a mile away the second we saw it was uprising themed. But either way, the animation was gorgeous, the gameplay portion was the best of all the trailers imo, and the back and forth between her and Viridi was the icing on the cake. Oh and Dark Pit was there, but no one gave a ****.
5.:4wiifit: - I just found this one waaaaay too hilarious. It's freaking gold.this trailer, so....
Dead-Last out of all trailers: :4sonic:, for obvious reasons.

BlastState

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlastState
3DS FC
0946-2825-3438
1. :4megaman:: This trailer is what got me hyped for Smash4. Most-wanted character confirmed, awesome remixes, and the CG scenes were masterful.
2. :4greninja:: The Charizard vs Mario and crew was amazing; Greninja also made an awesome entrance. His gameplay also inspired me to give some serious consideration to maining him.
3. :4palutena:: This reveal had me essentially screaming with delight during the E3 stream. 2nd most-wanted character confirmed, amazing anime style, and the infamous Dark Pit tease to boot.
4. :4shulk:: Very underrated trailer. Beautiful CG, great gameplay preview, hilarious memes, and it did well to showcase Shulk in a nutshell. 4th most wanted character confirmed, and Metal Face as a potential boss.
5. :4robinm::4robinf::4lucina:: Art-style was an awesome homage. Two newcomers (especially Robin) were a pleasant surprise. Robin's gameplay was league's better than I imagined it to be. 5th most wanted newcomer (Robin) confirmed.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
5.:4palutena: I took quite a liking to her character in KI:U, and was one of those characters I wanted in Smash 4. The trailer itself was pretty nice looking too, with the anime touch and stuff.
4.:4littlemac:While not a big fan of his games, Little Mac's trailer was one that got me pretty hyped. The artstyle, the music, the voices, the gameplay footage, everything was done at a great pace. It suckered me in.
3.:4greninja::4charizard:Another great trailer. Pretty much the above, but with Ninja action on top. Niiiice.
2.:4megaman:Great one! The first part ending, leaving you thinking "What!? There's got to be more" and then that blinking red message, a stranger on top of a cliff, and then..."Vfwimp!" that classic sound and helmet, with the reveal of the world's most anticipated Smash newcomer, Mega Man! And then the video proceeds to Mega Man gameplay with vivid music. Niiiiiiice!!
1.:4robinf::4robinm:YES!!!
I was thinking we'd get Shulk that day, with the retweet and all. So imagine my suprise when I saw Arena Ferox. Then cue footage of Lucina made me go "WTF!?" and then reveal of everybody's favorite veteran, Captain Falcon. But I knew there had to be more, and soon enough, there was a spell of sorts coming in. I grasped my PC screen, in desperate hope that it's him... And when the dust cleared...Robin was there, with his spell book and Levin Sword. I nearly screeched. And he came down, took the hood off, and...
BAM. "ROBIN BRINGS THE THUNDER!"
BEST.TRAILER.EVER.

Personally I was hoping for fRobin to be main, but meh. mRobin's Robin as well, so it dosen't matter much.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I just watched through 30 minutes of trailers, chills, oh god the chills :4littlemac:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
1. :4robinm: :4lucina: :4falcon: - I remember my heart pounding so hard throughout the trailer because of all the suspense. Almost right away, the best part of FE:A's main theme was playing (the part with the choir). Chrom was lying on the ground, and in my mind I was screaming, "Chrom, get up! I want you to be confirmed so bad!" I was then genuinely shocked to see Lucina did end up joining the roster in the end somehow. Then, you got the short, EPIC duel b/w Lucina and Captain Falcon; right when Captain Falcon kicks up her sword and is about to Falcon Punch her, I remember thinking, "Yep, she's done for. No one can withstand the Falcon Punch." But then, out of nowhere, you had those green blasts reach the ground, and when that happened, I thought it was Shulk. I mean, throughout the trailer, I thought there would be a curveball with Shulk appearing, especially since Chrom was just lying on the ground when it should've been his big reveal, the fact Lucina wouldn't be the only star in the trailer, and the whole "Monado Monday" hype leading up to that very moment. When I saw it was Robin who launched those green blasts, I was shocked. B/w him, Lucina, and Chrom, he was the least likely to join the roster, so seeing him actually get confirmed was a shocker. I then remember how crushed I felt when Chrom said, "I suppose I'll get my chance another day..." Chrom was one of my most anticipated newcomers, along with Professor Layton, so seeing him get deconfirmed like that was just brutal. While it did warm my heart to see him end up in Robin's final smash, I was still in denial for like a good three weeks b/c of what happened to Chrom. If there was any trailer that really played with my emotions, this was definitely the one to do so.

2. :4greninja: :4charizard: - Boy do I remember fondly this trailer. When the X/Y trainer battle music started to kick in as Charizard flew straight down from the sky, I knew this was going to be one of the best Smash Bros trailers out there. Then, you have what looks Mewtwo charging up some kind of an energy ball. When I saw that, I was pretty convinced it was Mewtwo b/c of the fingers, but unlike other people who reacted to the trailer, I wasn't that enthusiastic when I saw this part. I thought, "Well, looks Mewtwo is back. Great. Seems like we aren't going to get a Pokemon newcomer." But then, things got even more epic. Charizard dodging everyone's projectiles, "Mewtwo" charging up his energy ball even more, Mario acting like a pure boss as he goes in for the fire punch, Charizard coming straight for Mario with fire in his mouth, the X/Y trainer battle music reaching the best part as Mario and Charizard are about to duke it out, when all of a sudden... a shuriken intercepts them. I remember thinking at this point, "Wait, that's not Mewtwo. Who can it possible be now?" Then, I heard the ninja sound. The scene changes to the camera zooming in on a shadow to reveal... Greninja! When I saw Greninja in the distance, I was shocked and super happy. One of my favorite from X/Y (just barely behind Aegislash), as one of my top ten favorite Pokemon overall, got in! I then remember the best part of the X/Y trainer battle music playing as Greninja launched himself upward. Seeing Greninja's gameplay after that was just flat out fun to watch, and things got even better when the music really kicked in as they showcased Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja's final smashes. Looking back, I fondly remember this trailer not only for its epicness but also because it gave my first newcomer that I truly looked forward to.

3. :4shulk: - Prior to this trailer, I wasn't all that supportive for Shulk. I mean, I thought Shulk was a cool character after seeing a bunch of gameplay from Xenoblade, but I didn't anticipate him as much compared to others. When I watched his reveal trailer, however, things changed. I thought it was pretty cool how Sakurai handled the trailer; it was not what you expected for an average Shulk trailer. Normally, you would've expected a group of fighters trying to take down a Mechon or ROB (because he is a mechanical being just like the Mechon) and then the vision segment playing before Shulk appears and reveals himself. Nope, you have a much different approach. Instead, you have Shulk beating up a normal creature (Bowser) and then the vision segment happening AFTER Shulk's reveal card is shown rather than before it. Plus, rather than the vision segment involving mechanical creatures beating up the fighters, you have two famous Smash swordsmen, Mark and Link, beating up Shulk instead. How Shulk takes them down after the vision was also pretty epic to watch. Then, when the gameplay started to kick in, I remember the part when the Monado Arts were shown. It was at that moment that I became excited for Shulk as a newcomer, b/c I saw how easily he could change his play style during battle. Thus, this was the second trailer to give me a second newcomer that I truly looked forward to, practically to the point I was no longer hurt with Chrom's deconfirmation and knowing that Professor Layton probably wouldn't end up in the roster at this point.

4. :4palutena: - While I knew this was going to be her reveal the moment her lower portion of her face was shown right in the beginning, I still fondly remember this trailer nonetheless. The best part definitely had to be the duel b/w Pit and Link. Goodness that battle was fun to watch. The music was just EPIC during that segment, and Pit and Link were definitely duking it out. Things got suspenseful when Link used his hookshot at Pit... only for Pit to slash himself free, but then things got even more EPIC when Pit was about to be KOd by Link's Gale Boomerang as the music really started to kick in... only for Palutena to save him. I even loved her sense of humor that was shown shortly before and after her reveal card was shown. Oh yeah, I also got love the fact they used the KI:U's boss theme during her gameplay segment, and that montage of all the fighters revealed at this point towards the end was definitely a nice touch when you consider E3 was going on. The Dark Pit segment in the end also surprised me. When I saw it, I thought, "Well, no surprise he's going to be in, but he probably be an alt for Pit at best." Of course, little did I know that this "tease" was hinting at him getting an actual slot in the roster. Nonetheless, this was still a great trailer.

5. :4megaman: - Back when I was a kid, I thought it would be pretty cool if he ended up in Smash Bros. I felt a bit disappointed when he didn't end up in Brawl's roster, and when I saw Zero replacing him in MvC3 and Megaman Legends 3 getting cancelled, I thought, "Welp, looks like Megaman is dying. No way will he get into the next Smash now." The closest Capcom rep I could see getting in at that point was Zero purely b/c of his inclusion in MvC3, but boy was I shocked the day Smash Bros 4 was first shown at E3. The way his trailer was set up was really cool. You had the siren playing as the "Challenger Approaching" screen was shown; Mario, Link, DK, and Kirby look up into a cliff to see a figure by the moon... only to be revealed as Megaman as he puts on his helmet. The music kicked in, and I remember my draw dropped. I couldn't believe it, Megaman actually joined the Smash roster. Seeing him with this kind of treatment made me smile. It was so nice to see that Megaman wasn't entirely abandoned by the video game developers. Then, I remember when Megaman threw his Gears at the fighters; boy was that INTENSE. Mario barely dodging it as the coins come out of his packet with his hat falling off, the music REALLY kicking in, the gear scraping Link's shield, you knew things got real. Watching all of Megaman's power ups from the series being showcased for Smash Bros was just pure bliss to watch, and seeing him use his down smash to finish all of the fighters in the end definitely ended the trailer on a fantastic note. The Yellow Devil segment was a bit random, but still, this was definitely one of the most memorable trailers out there for me. Unfortuntately, Megaman is not one of my most anticipated newcomers at this point, but I still think he was a great addition to the roster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom