• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 4 For Smash 4

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
What are the top 4 things you want to be in Smash 4? This can include characters, mechanics, stages, modes, etc.

My top 4

1. Melee air dodge. This makes combos more feasible, requires the input to be used more intelligently, and allows for wavedashing (of course).
2. Automatic l-canceling. That way casuals can't complain that it's too hard, but moves are safer.
4. Dash-dancing. Approaching shouldn't be such a dangerous commitment, and it just feels good to do.
3. Recoveries to not snap the edge like they did in Brawl. I want them to finish their animation like in Melee and PM. This makes recoveries much less safe so people aren't always living.

Everything else, I'm fine with. I LOVE the new characters, and it's the decision I trust Sakurai most with. We'll limit the stages as much as we need to for tournaments, so I'm not too worried about that. Graphics are beautiful. Other modes are fine, but as long as it has an amazing VS mode and decent online, the dev team can do what they want. I am somewhat concerned with the new ledge mechanic, but it's hard for me to hate it without having tried it or seen it developed.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
- Ridley
- K. Rool
- Great musics
- Lots of stages (like 50 or so)

I'd rather not have those pointlessly complicated mechanics like dash-dancing in the game, tbh.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
- Ridley
- K. Rool
- Great musics

I'd rather not have those pointlessly complicated mechanics like dash-dancing in the game, tbh.
Pointlessly complicated? Ignorance at its best.

Just so I don't get in trouble, here's my top 4.

1) Faster falling and ground speed
2) A more equal balance in fighters than Brawl had
3) Mario RPG rep in some capacity (stage, assist trophy, music, Geno, whatever)
4) Mike Jones (selfish because I loved Startropics as a kid, but hey, one can dream...)

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Top 4

1) Ability to alter gravity for that Melee and (or) Brawl experience (Special Melee: Light, Medium, Heavy).
2) No Hit lag/freeze
3) No incredibly imbalanced characters, and as an extension: No projectile spam/camp meta.

4) Character altering palette swaps with different VAs/animations. Dr. Mario, Daisy, and personally (a man can dream) Metal Sonic.

Last edited:

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
- Ridley
- K. Rool
- Great musics

lol pointlessly complicated.... guys pressing left to right at the right time is to difficult for me, please just make the game move the character for me sakurai thx. Seriously though executing a dash dance can be learned consistently in a couple minutes, using it in battle succesfully will take some time.

D

Deleted member

-A game that people don't hate you for playing
-Faster than Brawl
-Lucas
-PictoChat as a past stage for the 3DS version

Ryan.

Smash Lord
1. Bowser Jr.
2. Mewtwo
3. Lucas
4. A reworked stage builder

I would have also mentioned Ness but I'm pretty sure he's in anyway, and I didn't want my Top 4 to be all characters haha. I really want to see a new stage builder with terrain, water, lava, etc. Of course so far you can't swim anymore, I hope they change that as well, I liked being able to swim like in Pirate Ship.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
- Competitive stuff so that the community can get together peacefully

- Fire Emblem Awakening rep other than Chrom (Someome unique, Tharja, Cordelia, Anna, Nowi etc.)

- Alternate Costumes for everyone (DLC)

- New, competitively feasible, modes. (SkullGirls/MvsC type game mode)

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
1.Mewtwo as a playable character
2..Less Landing lag on all moves automatically.
3.A balanced roster(I get it won't be 100% balanced but something better than the last 3).
4.More stage builder options.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Top 4

1) Ability to alter gravity for that Melee and (or) Brawl experience (Special Melee: Light, Medium, Heavy).
2) No Hitstun
3) No incredibly imbalanced characters, and as an extension: No projectile spam/camp meta.

4) Character altering palette swaps with different VAs/animations. Dr. Mario, Daisy, and personally (a man can dream) Metal Sonic.
No hitstun? You'd constantly be punished for landing a hit on someone if there was no hitstun. Maybe you mean hit lag/stop/freeze, because I think it's a bit much in the current builds.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
1. The Fan-Favorite Characters (Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo)
2. Zelda Newcomer
3. Ideas from Brawl expanded on (Alts., Stage Builder, etc.)
4. Overall fun game (stage, characters, etc.)

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
Remade 64 stages would be pretty cool. Give them the MK8 retro courses treatment.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
-I want Bowser to be high tier. Not top tier though so majority people don't play him.

-I want Lloyd Irving in. Pac Man is butt.

-New revolutionizing exploits, lets be honest, exploits are the only thing that keeps any Smash scene alive.

-A mix of characters that focus on hyper offense and defense.

Why not 5? 4 is a weird number in this situation.

-Movement options.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
-Ridley
-Decent balance
-Less landing lag
-Grab follow-ups

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Lol at the original poster, its actually pretty funny how everyone here is so blunt about being anti-brawl XD

Anyway,

1. Online For Glory mode on Battlefield
2. Ridley as a playable character
3. Stage Builder with adjustable blast zones
4. The pirate ship stage from brawl

Last edited:

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
1. Jigglypuff.
2. Automatic landing lag cancel. Ideally on the level of Smash 64 Z-cancelling, which blows Melee L-cancelling out of the water, but I'll accept a Melee level.
3. Melee ground-to-air momentum so Captain Falcon will actually be playable again.
4. Daisy.

I'm assuming there'll be at least some level of hitstun. If not, then swap out 3 or 4.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
1. Lucina, Robin, Mewtwo, Sceptile. (all would be unlikely but I'll be happy with even one)
2. More balanced characters.
3. Faster paced than Brawl. (Don't get me wrong, I love Brawl, but I do agree that it is a bit on the slower side)
4. Stages from 64 that weren't in the other Smash games would be neat.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
1. A decent Ganondorf
2. Option for Melee or Brawl air dodge
3. Complete Blood Falcon alt for Capt Falcon
4. Battlefield in For Glory mode

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Keep in mind that what I want and what's fair to expect are two different things. Likely none of this will be in.

1. Daisy, based on the moveset I have linked in my sig. She'd totally be my main.
2. Adding platforms to a fair portion of the "For Glory" stages. All FD designs gives unfair permanent advantages.
3. All veterans to return except Pichu, G&W, Ice Climbers and Wolf. Never cared for them. Ever.
4. More substantial costumes. I hate color swaps. Nearly every character has some meaningful costume possibility. Use it!

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
1. A competitively viable Ganondorf who reminds you so little of Captain Falcon you always immediately forget that Captain Falcon is even in the game while playing him.

That alone would make me not only buy the game (which I will do already) but throw my wallet at Sakurai. But if I really have to come up with four more.

2. Ridley or K. Rool. Pick at least one. We need more villains people.

3. Game modes. Lot's and lots of interesting and unique game modes. Nothing big and epic like SSE, but more like how from SSB to Melee you got a crap ton more game modes. I want to feel that same sort of rush again. I want to have things to have plenty of single player stuff to get me back in practice so my friends don't have to see how rusty I am. Also sometimes I just want to play by myself.

4. Pay better tribute to the franchise represented. I know this is a daring thing to ask since Smash does so much towards this end already, but I'm greedy. I'm not entirely sure what I want for this, but it's what masterpeices tried and failed to acheive. The demos were just too short to be effective. I don't expect them to put the full games on there and let you have at it, but there was a good idea buried in the concept of masterpeices somewhere; I just haven't figured out how to make it work.

Alternatively if you want a more tangible number 4. Better event matches.

That is all.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
1 - Online trading for Trophies and/or whatever else is in the game, like Brawl's Stickers.
2 - Battlefield versions of Stages in For Glory Mode, but I think this is a stretch at this point.
3 - Ridley as Playable
4 - An Exclusive Mode for Wii U

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
1. Movement Options, I don't think smash 4 needs wavedashing to become competitive but in its current state it encourages defensive play far too much similar to brawl. Dash dancing and other techs would really make this game shine and help encourage aggressive play.

2. Quality DLC, by this I mean DLC made after the game is released that is worth the buy I think Mario golf did it pretty well with the whole character + set of courses. For smash I see it is a character + a stage + some trophies. Not sure about the price

3. Most veterans to return, I think ivysaur, squirtle, snake, pichu, doc mario, young link and possibly a star fox rep should not make it back but I'd love to see the rest of the cast return especially if mewtwo and roy got a join trailer.

4. Platforms in For Glory/Good Online play. I think someone already said this but having strictly FD stages in for glory is going to give some major advantages which sucks as I think this is going to be my preferred online mode. I love to see some platforms added where in the form of some stages getting BF alt instead of an FD.

I could see the stage choosing process being similar to mk8 it would give a random selection of 4 stages. (2 fd and bf) the 4 players would choose which they wanted to vote for and then a roulete would choose which one is played on (I put /good online play because if the online is crap like brawl then this wouldn't matter in the first place)

Maresch

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maresch
1. No input delay (apparently Brawl had a hard-coded RNG 0-2 frames of input delay) and less buffer (Brawl had a 10 frame buffer which is too much for me, Project M has an OPTIONAL 3 frame buffer which I think is perfect) for an overall less laggy-feeling game.

2. Gameplay where I won't be at a natural disadvantage for wanting to use an offensive play style. Brawl was way too defensive. I see a lot of other people are already stating this as Movement Options. I agree 100% with them. I don't mean I want wave dashing, L-canceling or dash dancing back. Really any kind of movement that makes approaching more possible without getting punished would be great.

3. Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo all playable.

4. I actually don't mind clones. Falco and Young/Toon Link being close to their counterparts fits, considering how they are in the games they come from. That being said,
Ganondorf shouldn't be anything like Captain Falcon. I don't want to (and shouldn't need to) elaborate. Ganondorf needs his own moveset. I don't care if it's with his sword or not.

5. (If I may :D) cooler alternate costumes.

Renji64

Smash Lord
1. Movement options
2. Less Landing Lag or Auto L-canceling
3. a game where offensive/defensive are equal similar to melee.
4. I want smash to be fun to watch and have smooth online play.
I just want a good game.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
1. The ability to cancel dashes with crouch. Would allow for characters to use ground moves out of dash.

2. The ability to fast fall any point during your jump. Can potentially be used for platform follow ups.

3. 64 platforms (you can't fast fall through them). Combine with my 2nd want and platform follow ups can be used.

4. No landing lag from aerials.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
1. A mixture of the Brawl air dodge and the Melee air dodge (not a fan of wavedashing it just looks dumb when someone is doing it)
2. L-Cancel or lower landing lag
3. More movement choices
4. No more footstool jumping

Last edited:

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
1. Less landing lag on aerials
2. Mewtwo
3. Fountain of Dreams
4. Good online play

Even without any of these, this game will be fantastic and I can't wait to wreck you all as the Villager. :awesome:

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
1.Phoenix Wright
2.King K. Rool
3.A good amount of combos
4.Some sort of interesting game mode for the Wii U version. I know Sakurai has said something about not doing SSE again, but something like that would be awesome. I'll even take some expanded form of smash run.

Top Bottom