• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Links worst Matchups

QUIVO

Smash Master
If the only reason why anyone would do poorly against someone with a reflector solely because of that (or seem to get reflected alot) is because they're being predictable...

MelodiousNocturne

Smash Rookie
Honestly, the reflectors are not that big of a deal. Wolf is pretty simple as long as you don't always approach with the double arrows. Olimar on the other hand calls for a completely new strategy and is easily the bigges TL counter.

SD14

Smash Cadet
the only person i have real troubles with is a camping pit most annoying thing ever

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Heh, weird. Most people on the Olimar-board seem to agree TL is great against Olimar. lawl. I myself have no problems beating a TL, at least not lots of them >.<

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
Toon Link players who are heavy on their projectile game can ben completely rocked by an Olimar who's strategizing well enough -- flying pikmin make shields against TL's projectiles, and if there's even one on him, TL can't throw his bombs. Closer-quarters combat seems like the way to go, but it's still tricky because of the hitboxes and such... he's very hard to predict. I've easily had more trouble with Olimar than anyone else so far.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
I have good trouble against good players. Bad players are kind of easy to beat.
Completely agree all characters are impossible to beat as long as the person playing *** them is really good. But as far as characters go the hardest person I have ever had to face is BLUEGANKY when he is using his sonic.

DragnSlayr

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to use Toon Link at the moment, but my timing with his attacks is thrown off due to the fact that I'm used to Maining Meta Knight and Marth.

As far as trouble with characters go, I have the most trouble with Zelda and Wolf when I'm toon link. I haven't had a match against Olimar yet.

Smashless

Smash Apprentice
Zelda has a SLIGHT advantage on the projectile game- not because she has a better projectile, but all of toon link's projectiles are mad slow, and nayru's love, while a mediocre reflector at best, does well in situations where you have time to predict. Against the likes of wolf or falco, she has a little more trouble

I definitely have trouble with Wolf and Olimar. Falco poses some problems as well, but TL can still mix it up to combat him

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Perhaps I'm just not that good but i faced a good pikachu who 2 stocked me out of 5. His approach was almost flawless to the way i played. Stupid super high thundershocks

iphaded

Smash Rookie
I have trouble vs. Zelda... not because of Din's Fire but just the way a friend of mine plays with the b-airs, u-tilt, reflector, and u-smashes is annoying... especially because of how strong those moves are. I have to have very good spacing to beat his game.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
Gotta give G&W a mention here. Priority attacks, a longer range in his box thing and turtle, and a Dsmash that KOs at 80%? Not to mention the fact that the Game & Watch strategy is to put pressure on an opponent, while the TL is to get away and spam projectiles. His Uair can screw up a lot of Toon Link recovery strategies (bombs, Dair), and while we may be familiar with a Dair that travels straight down, G&W's is actually controllable.

Beware, fellow TL players. This Mr. Game & Watch is a threat and must be neutralized.

Zummbot

Smash Rookie
Olimar is definitely a problem.

One potent tactic against Olimar to keep in mind is he's much easier to edge guard than most characters. If you're hanging off the edge while Olimar is trying to recover, his Up-B can't knock you off the edge unless he has a purple pikman next in line. So next time you get him off the stage hang off the edge if you know he's going to have to use his Up-B to get back, because if he doesn't have a purple pikman to throw at you it's death every time. The percentage of Olimar pulling a purple pikman is small too (I think around 15%) so the odds are in your favor even if you're not sure which pikman he has next in line.

Nelroks

Smash Rookie
Gotta give G&W a mention here. Priority attacks, a longer range in his box thing and turtle, and a Dsmash that KOs at 80%? Not to mention the fact that the Game & Watch strategy is to put pressure on an opponent, while the TL is to get away and spam projectiles. His Uair can screw up a lot of Toon Link recovery strategies (bombs, Dair), and while we may be familiar with a Dair that travels straight down, G&W's is actually controllable.

Beware, fellow TL players. This Mr. Game & Watch is a threat and must be neutralized.
i agree. g&w is hard...but i dont try to run and spam b moves. i just look at what they usually do after they miss a certain move like dair or fair which give some openings when missed.

Raiko

Smash Rookie
I really don't think MK is a baaaad matchup.

First of all, Toon Link is one of the only chars that may cancel MK Uair combo easily, with his dair.
Metaknight is awesome at Edgeguarding but making good use of projectiles helps a lot while recovering. Preventing MK from coming back is really hard but well, it is hard for all characters xD

TL Dsmash is awesome against MK, TL is an awesome air fighter and again, his projectiles help a lot.

IMO it is a fair matchup, MK is just, MK. Everyone will have a hard match against a good MK.
Maybe a low matchup? But one of the worst, I wouldnt say so.

soresu

Smash Rookie
Snake is a tough matchup. Difficult to get around the ftilt. His dash attack is not easily punished. The only decent part is that once you get snake off the edge, you have a much easier time but it is still difficult when the snake has some mindgames.

RuskiSmasher

Smash Rookie
I see the problem with fighting wolf, or even falco... but against Olimar? TL's projectiles should be able to rack enough damage on Olimar without him getting close, and then a bomb or boomerang to stun Olimar should give TL enough time to jump in for a hit and send him flying. It's not that big a threat.

nukethemall73

Smash Cadet
MK
my friends plays a good meta knight, and his ability to chase you off the stage is insane, sure, you can chuck in a boomerang or bomb for a bit of %, but ultimately, youre only hope of returning is to out manouvre him (go above him, or fast fall and upB back to ledge, altho if youre gna do that, watch out for his upB while youre on the edge, cos its gonna send you FLYING.) and sometimes i get a lucky Fair in or something. and chasing him off the edge is just rediculous, just doesnt happen, his aerials are too good. easiest way to kill him is save the up smash and just hit him with that out of a run or something, and uptilt is a good kill move against him too.

NoriakiZ

Smash Cadet
I dunno, I guess Meta Knight?

I'm good with TL, but against Meta Knight?

No way.

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
My friend as falco. I can't beat him, and i need help, can someone help me?

deletedmember

Smash Cadet
Yeah Falco can be real tough. His shine is like.. faster than instant, and it basically nullifies all of your projectiles. But he's not that bad I guess. I would just say to not try to many projectiles, unless you're above him to throw bombs or something like that. Rely on approaching with fast arials, (the bair and the nair) and use more tilts and smash attacks than usual, since Falco is not that great on the ground.

G&W is pretty annoying too, but he's pretty much annoying to fight no matter who you are. (He's broken as ****. I said it!)

And Olimar is AWFUL. Whenever a pikmin is on you, and you throw a bomb, it seems to explode on you. Your boomerang doesn't make it through his pikmin, and your arrows sure as hell don't. So basically he makes all of your projectiles worthless, so you have to approach, and you can't approach Olimar because of his ****ing range.

I have yet to fight a very good Wolf, but I hate his laser, so I can imagine it's very irritating to fight him.

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
G+W because of everything looking like it's going to stop but it doesn't (chunky movements)

Pit: BECAUSE HE'S JUST PLAIN STUPID

Mushy

Smash Cadet
uhhhh
I skipped the last three pages out of boredom.
TL does pretty **** well against Wolf I thought, I never get to play humans but well timed Fairs basically kill his fsmash. Olimar is hard but beatable.
and Marth....
Let's just say he crushes TL slightly less than he crushes Ness. For those of you who don't (for some stupid reason?) know, this is pretty **** bad. For the same reason he crushes Ness.

Top Bottom