• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

toon link's approach tactics?

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
i can spam projectiles pretty decently but i have no idea how to approach in terms of comboing and killing. i dont even know how to space appropriately.

nopants

Smash Apprentice
i can spam projectiles pretty decently but i have no idea how to approach in terms of comboing and killing. i dont even know how to space appropriately.
It sounds like you already know what you need to learn. Practicing spacing is easy, but actually learning it takes a while, so don't get impatient. All you need to do is practice your moves on a standing opponent to learn the limits of the hitboxes. When you feel comfortable, practice your spacing on a slow moving opponent, then a faster opponent. What you need to learn is which parts of each hitboxes give you the most distance from your opponent, and also how each part of each hitbox influences knockback. Easy, right?

Learning proper spacing will improve your game more than you can imagine. Approaching is a lot harder to explain. Nobody can tell you how to straight-up approach somebody, because you need to find out what works for every situation. The key to approaching is to be adaptable, if something doesn't work, don't do it. Try different things until you start getting through.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
yeah, sounds easy enough.

however, what's after that?

and also, for curiosity purposes, what are the advantages besides shield-grabs?

nopants

Smash Apprentice
You should clarify, because I have no idea what you're talking about.

After spacing, you should try to master control of the character. Perfect excecution is what you should strive for. If you don't mess up, you can't be punished, right? As for approaching, just about anything is an acceptable approach method, the one thing I say to avoid is just running straight for the opponent. That's when the game changes from Smash Brothers to Baseball. Instead, you need to make your approach fuzzy. Almost anything will work as long as it leaves the opponent unsure of what your next move is. You could pretend like you're going to rush the opponent down, only to hang back at the last moment and continue to projectile spam.

Also, learn hitstun. You need to know if you have time to run up and Usmash after that bomb connects or if you should hang back and wait for a better opportunity.

This one is super important, but only for Toon Link and Link. Keep track at your boomerang. I throw my boomerang at an angle most of the time, so keeping track of it becomes even more important. There's nothing better than getting saved by that weak return hit, and countering with an Fsmash.

Robostrike

Smash Cadet
In consideration to trying to master TL, you should get use to his flaws. One of them is the delay for doing DAir. Once executed and landing on the ground, it has a couple of frames of retrieving the sword, meaning that the opponent has that time to attack you. However, if you have missed and you are close to someone, they get a blow back from the sword. This is pretty useful when opponents charge and then realize they are blown back and miss. As well, just consider perfecting aerial moves as 'nopants' mentions. A lot of TL's moves have a bit of delay lag in between attacks, so make each attack count!

Ezafox

Smash Rookie
If you can time it right, Short jump and grab. Instead of lagg after using it on ground, while in air its totally gone if used correctly. It's what I used to approach people when they get in range.

AThousandTimesOver

Smash Rookie
I reccomend you abuse the short hop fair (whoracle) and bair. I also reccomend that you only use the dair as a way of spacing (ie avoiding air games you can't win) unless you're pretty sure you're going to hit the mark. Once you do knock your opp off the stage go after them and keep using bair and fair because you will make it to the stage even if your opp tries to ledge ***** you. (dair will spike, but it's impossible to come back from a miss, so I wouldn't reccomend it)

Robostrike

Smash Cadet
I truly agree with you, AThousandTimesOver. I'm playing as TL and just using aerials against Lvl9 CPU's can get the better of you, especially if the CPU's are TLs. They can predict how fast you're falling so they can USmash before your DAir lands. Same goes for doing an UAir on a DAir. Using aerials for only midair tactics such as FAir and BAir. Don't jump too high too often or then you lose returning jump when you really need it. One jump for TL is enough to cover just about all the ground you need to land good hits and what not.

Top Bottom