• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Does TL's dash attack have a set 'chance' of tripping or is it dependant on what frame you hit with it or if the enemy is running or something else?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Set chance that varies with percentages.

I wish it was the other one, though. =/

Bluehedgehog

Smash Cadet
Hey, uh what's the best controller layout for Toon link?
One thread said to use R as jump, is there anything else that should be changed to make things easier?

Also is there a way to tell if you did quick draw properly, I know sometimes Tlink shoots the bow with his shield still armed; does that happen when you do QD properly, or are there sometimes when that doesnt happen but you still did a quick draw?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Use whatever scheme works for you.

If there is no startup lag, he Quickdrawed.

Bluehedgehog

Smash Cadet
Thanks, should I use z air as more closer to the ground? I have noticed that it takes awhile for the hook-shot to retract, so if I miss it I could get punished unless I touch the ground.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
^ Yep. when you SH wait til you're about at the height of your SH before Zairing. Practically comboes into a Nair :)

I usually SH Air-dodge and press A to Zair, for safety.

Heavy Metal KiLLeR

Smash Cadet
I have doubts about how to use the ''pogo'' (is that the name?)in the dair after the first hit....When is the right time to do it?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I have doubts about how to use the ''pogo'' (is that the name?)in the dair after the first hit....When is the right time to do it?
Right after you hit the 1st hit?
I think it can be punished easily though, depending on how you're positioned.

Also, I have a question.
I'm able to pull off SH B-Air ~> FF Quick Draw/Reverse Quick Draw VERY easily, but I can't seem to do SHFF Quick Draw.
Which one is more important in gameplay?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I was wondering which of the Toon Link guides are the best. There's like 6 or so guides and I don't know which one to devote my time to reading. :confused:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I was wondering which of the Toon Link guides are the best. There's like 6 or so guides and I don't know which one to devote my time to reading. :confused:
You shouldn't rely on guides to improve your gameplay, rather go to tourneys &/or play as many different people as you can & learn the ATs. Experience ftw.

Guides help, just don't be too lenient of them.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
You shouldn't rely on guides to improve your gameplay, rather go to tourneys &/or play as many different people as you can & learn the ATs. Experience ftw.

Guides help, just don't be too lenient of them.
Ah yes that would help...If only I lived in a place with a big smash scene :laugh:

Ah well, thanks anyways.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Use the General Discussion thread for Social stuff.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I'm able to pull off SH B-Air ~> FF Quick Draw/Reverse Quick Draw VERY easily, but I can't seem to do SHFF Quick Draw.
Which one is more important in gameplay?

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
The first one, Kaffei. SHFF Quick Draw doesn't make much of an impact as it is with the b-air because with the b-air you may actually space yourself from the opponent to initiate the quick draw unexpectedly. If you just SHFF Quick Draw all you're doing majority of the time is shooting an arrow as your opponent may be approaching you or camping in which case they would just power shield and possibly even punish you at a given range.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
The first one, Kaffei. SHFF Quick Draw doesn't make much of an impact as it is with the b-air because with the b-air you may actually space yourself from the opponent to initiate the quick draw unexpectedly. If you just SHFF Quick Draw all you're doing majority of the time is shooting an arrow as your opponent may be approaching you or camping in which case they would just power shield and possibly even punish you at a given range.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I don't find it useful. Maybe just me...
Lol, cause its pretty much common sense.

But anypoo, Do you guys think we should actually use yoshi's island as a CP for certain characters so we can use the stage to help us spike?

Didnt feel this deserved its own thread, and im not in the backroom anymore, so this seems like the best place to ask.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Nah, bro. I was talking about the technique itself. I hate arrows as it is, but I honestly don't feel this technique helps. At the point that we are bairing, we're probably too close to shoot an arrow.
If the bair hit, I'd rather pull a bomb or rang.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
How can I learn to judge my own DI? IDK if it's good or bad : / Also, how can I perfect my arrow cancels (more of a problem online than off, after I use a SH Aerial or if I Bomb pull or fast fall and try to arrow cancel, it usually comes out too late. Maybe it's just me, or the lag.?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
How do u judge ur DI? If u go diagonal up when hit by a horizontal move and bair fast fall DJ. Lets say: MK down smashes and u go in \ trayectory that means u did it right. But if dsmash hits u like this ---- that means u didnt DI. Remember: Horizontal kill moves-DI up, bair fast fall DJ (u can also DJ dair), Vertical Kill moves- DI to the side and bair fast fall as soon as possible (dont DJ lol).

NeoTLkid

Smash Cadet
would a boost-pivit to u-tilt be useful as a approach or only as a mix-up,
Also how do you do a sliding dsmash?

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
If a little blue falco bird man is sitting there jabbing me to death and then going for a grab, how do I avoid the grab? Seriously, every time I get jabbed by this bird he gets a grab in which is a free ~50%

Sasuke, you have a broken link because of an HTML fail.

Q: Brawl + Toon Link!!
A: http://<font color="Red">http://www....=240068</font>

Just erase the first http:// and it will be good.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If a little blue falco bird man is sitting there jabbing me to death and then going for a grab, how do I avoid the grab? Seriously, every time I get jabbed by this bird he gets a grab in which is a free ~50%
Run away and spam until you have 40%

TheJerm

Smash Champion
No. listen to sasuke. Run away throw stuff. Use arials when you are sure they'll hit. Only recieve arial damage. The chain grab shouldnt be too much of a problem. Falco cant kill, use that to your advantage.

Top Bottom