• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Tool] Knockback, Launch Speed, Hitstun, Hitlag & Shieldstun Calculation v1.11

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Download

Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet
Open Office Spreadsheet
Google Docs for anything else (File -> Download As)

What's this do?

Using this tool, you can calculate exactly how many frames of hitstun a particular hitbox will cause against any character, NTSC or PAL, based on just about every possible variable. No longer do you have to boot up debug mode and painstakingly count frames in frame advance to check if something is a "true combo," you can now simply calculate it. This is HUGE for Smash theory.
Do keep in mind that your character might still have to position themselves for the next attack to hit, however.

Features

-Fully-functional Stale Move Queue
-Displays Stale Damage Multiplier and Staled Damage based on said queue.
-NTSC/PAL setting for differing character weights
-Calculates Knockback, Launch Speed, Hitstun, Hitlag & Shieldstun based on just about any variable possible including:
Hitbox Damage
Knockback values
Hitbox Element
Victim (Weight)
Victim Damage
Whether or not victim is Crouch Canceling
Whether or not victim is charging a smash attack
Throw or Regular attack

How to Use

First, get MasterHand (Melee Character File Viewer). You won't really be able to figure out knockback values without it.
Next, find a move you want to calculate stuff for. Then find a hitbox and put in the values. Pay attention to the comments in the spreadsheet, they'll let you know if there's anything not obvious.

TO CALCULATE THROWS! In MasterHand, there are two hitboxes displayed for each throw. The one you want is labeled "Throw [Throw]." Input the data from that one, and make sure you put Yes under "Throw?" or the output will be wrong.

Credits & Changelog

Spreadsheet and extensive testing by Strong Bad
All formulas from Magus420
Testing by standardtoaster

Changelog:

v1.11
-Bowser's PAL weight (118) added, he was always 117 regardless of which version was selected.

v1.1
-Smash Charge renamed to Interrupted Smash Charge to better reflect its purpose.
-Staled damage no longer floored (artifact of a beta spreadsheet), leading to incorrect staled & post hit damage, which of course leads to incorrect values in most cases of staled hitbox calculation.
-Stale Multiplier display fixed; it would always display 1 before. Didn't affect calculations though.

v1.0
-Initial build. About as solid as possible for a first build. Lemme know if anything's off or you feel needs clarification!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Formulas

Knockback, Hitstun & Launch Speed

For set knockback it's:
{{[(WDSK * 10 * 0.05) + 1] * VictimKBMultB * 1.4 * [200 / (Weight + 100)] + 18} * (KBG * 0.01)} + BKB

For normal KB it's:
{{[(Total Damage * 0.1) + (Damage * Total Damage * 0.05)] * VictimKBMultB * 1.4 * [200 / (Weight + 100)] + 18} * (KBG * 0.01)} + BKB

These are multipliers that are read from the Victim's data near the formula:
VictimKBMultA - Unknown. Multiplier on hitbox damage before main KB Formula
VictimKBMultB - Unknown. Multiplier Mid KB Formula
VictimKBMultC - Hit During Smash Charge (1.2). Applied at the same time as Damage Ratio and MultiMan(?) Mult after the result of the main KB formula

VictimKBMultA or VictimKBMultB haven't been seen as anything besides 1.

Hitstun (hitlag counts as 1) = Knockback * 0.4
Velocity = Knockback * 0.03

Shieldstun

floor{[(4.45 + Damage) / 2.235]}

Damage = Staled damage
floor means to round down

Hitlag

Hitlag = floor{floor{floor{(Damage * 0.3333334 + 3)} * Electric} * CC}

Electric = 1.5 if the attack is of electric element. 1.0 at all times for attacker, however.

CC = 2/3rd for victim only if victim is currently Crouch Canceling.

Damage is, again, staled damage.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Updated with formulas, and made the Google Doc's sheet public. Sorry about that!

phish-it

Smash Champion
Oh? Oho? I've been waiting for this.... This is big.

Wait, you get sent farther if you get hit while charging a smash? Interesting.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Indeed. For proof, shine Sheik with Fox while she's charging a smash. She'll get knocked down, when she doesn't regularly. This is because the knockback (and therefore hitstun) she suffers is then above the tumble-threshold of 31 frames of hitstun, when it isn't before.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there should be a dropdown bro. click on the cell, and then an arrow shows up to the right of that cell.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Thanks a lot for this! One question, though: If you're charging a smash and you get hit by a multi-hit move, would only the first hit send you flying farther?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Not sure, but I'd assume so.

Updated with v1.1. Check OP for changelog.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Awesome stuff.

I been thought of doing this but never got around to it.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Could unknown A and B be for either moves that do not have knowckback (So the reserved input of 1 could be replaced with a 0 should the KB need to be made 0) perhaps so moves without KB by default (pummels, 1st frame of Doc's Down-B, Fox lasers, Roy Up-B, etc.) or victims with a status inhibiting them from receiving KB (victim in grab or Yoshi's Egg from neutral B)

Might also be used to form stage effects (being shot from barrel with hitstun but no damage) or Great Fox's lasers.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but this interests me. . . :\

Feel free to ignore my ramblings. . . unless they seem interesting.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Updated with v1.11, fixed a minor booboo:
Bowser's PAL weight (118) added, he was always 117 regardless of which version was selected.

If I ever update this again I'll try to include smash charge for the attacker. Will take a bit of research, however.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Tried it out, and it's really neat. It took me a minute to figure out how to work some things like the stale move queue (after looking up a Magus post on how stale moves works it now makes sense and is straightforward).

Anyway, this is really good work, someone with too much time on their hands could set up the spread sheet where the data is select-able without having to look it up. I know for mine at least I'll save some key ones in a new sheet for quick reference.

Its too bad this is kinda limited in its usefulness though in all reality because DI and positioning has so much to do with combos.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
This is a beautiful piece of work, why didn't I find this earlier?

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
Hey man I tried to google docs because I dont have office (microsoft sux and open office is cancer) but the dropdown menus didnt work for me. I'm on Firefox atm.

Meru

Smash Cadet
Where can we find what the WDSK of a move is? And if there isn't some sort of list in place, how can we find out what it is for use in the set knockback equation?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It'll display in Master Hand if it's WDSK. WDSK > 0 means it uses weight dependent set knockback.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So I found the byte that can toggle metal textures on at anytime. Doing so does not change the character's weight or other attributes like the effect of getting a metal box item, but the character DOES suffer less knockback/hitstun.

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-melee-texture-hack-thread.361190/page-14#post-17941686

Could this be something involved with VictimKBMultB? Do you or Magus know where the knockback equation gets calculated in the game's code?

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Never mind. I just looked into it. If a player is Metal, then 30 is subtracted from the knockback they are about to receive. It's in the same function that checks to see if the player is crouching, or if they are charging a smash attack.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Indeed. For proof, shine Sheik with Fox while she's charging a smash. She'll get knocked down, when she doesn't regularly. This is because the knockback (and therefore hitstun) she suffers is then above the tumble-threshold of 31 frames of hitstun, when it isn't before.
Is tumble hitstun greater-than 31 or greater-than-or-equal-to 31?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Is tumble hitstun greater-than 31 or greater-than-or-equal-to 31?
Kb is the determining factor (hitstun is rounded). 80 is the threshold, so it's at least 32 frames of hitstun for tumble. I'm not sure whether precisely 80 kb results in tumble or not, but I think it does.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
80 KB converts to 32 frames of hitstun (1 of which is when both the attacker and victim are suffering hitlag) and does cause tumble.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I think I figured out what VictimKBMultA is... When Ice Climbers' neutral+B or down+B are staled, the hitbox damage is replaced by staled damage, rounded down, before calculating knockback (it affects the knockback calculation but not the actual damage dealt). This basically makes staled Ice Moves take a lot longer to freeze the opponent, since freezing happens if knockback exceeds 52.5. I don't know if this mechanic is present for any other moves though.

Top Bottom