• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too many movable stages?

TomH

Smash Journeyman
I think far too many of the stages are way too dynamic. Poke floats and Rainbow cruise were fun from time to time for a silly game, but when it comes to tournament play, id much rather have something like battlefield. Obviously battlefield is in this one, but i was hoping that i would have more than 6 or 7 options for stages in the next smash. It seems to me that stages such as Castle Siege or Skyworld could be really cool, but far too much junk was piled into the levels.

A possible solution would be to allow options for stages. For example, if you choose Castle Siege, you could choose either "Roof" "Castle" "Underground" or "Mobile" where mobile is the normal version where it breaks thru the floor and everything. This could also be used for Delfino Plaza, or Bridge of Eldin. Also an option of turning each individual event on and off would allow for you to customize your experience even further. Hopefully you could even set up the random level generator to randomize other things. For example, if you had all levels on random, it would randomly choose between levels, and then lets say it chooses Castle Siege. Then lets say that you have "Roof" "Castle" and "Underground" all checked for random but not "Mobile", then it would randomly choose between those 3. Also you could either set events (like "asteroid field" to "on" "off" or "random"), which means you wouldnt even know how the events work going into the fight if you want.

I can tell you one thing, if i had the option of turning off that stupid cloud in the yoshi level (or whatever level it is...i dont remember), i wouldve...

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I don't see why people are complaining about these hazards. They are not what bans stages from tournaments, unfair exploitations do. If you can't handle the hazards, then how will you handle another player? It's easy enough to deal with the tricks of a stage with practice, it truly is. And plus, without those things, the stages become bland, so more power to the hazards. Of course some times you don't want to fight with distractions, so there are stages like Battlefield, so just enjoy those. If you could turn off hazards though, every stage would become just like Battlefield, which would defeat the purpose.

Conker1

Smash Ace
Actually there aren't enough moving stages. VARIETY!

7-8 of the stages confirmed don't move(I say 7-8 because I don't know if the Mario Kart level moves)

That leaves only 3 moving stages. I'm hoping for Big Blue to return though.

Afro Boy2000

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why people are complaining about these hazards. They are not what bans stages from tournaments, unfair exploitations do. If you can't handle the hazards, then how will you handle another player? It's easy enough to deal with the tricks of a stage with practice, it truly is. And plus, without those things, the stages become bland, so more power to the hazards. Of course some times you don't want to fight with distractions, so there are stages like Battlefield, so just enjoy those. If you could turn off hazards though, every stage would become just like Battlefield, which would defeat the purpose.
It's About options. I like castle siege and skyworld but I would love if they didn't have hazards, everyone one would be happy with the option of keeping or removing the hazards.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
It's pointless though, aside from a visual standpoint. I'd rather them not waste all that time and effort on something solely for that purpose. Especially as it demeans the hard work that was put into the stage in the first place.

Plus, it's not like items, which are random. They don't take away from a fight, unless your just not good enough to cope (or it's to extreme, like Icicle Mountain, but their's no helping that stage)

SehkmetCLS

Smash Cadet
Ok not bad, choosing wether or not you're using the stage hazards and effects.

I just know Bridge of Eldin makes a nice stage, even better if we could turn off the breaking bridge and stuff...We'll see where this is heading.

SuperAce

Smash Journeyman
Get rid of stage hazards? Good idea. Here's another. Let's cut the matches down to two people, and give them health bars, then add in complex combinations, and remove the story aspect of it, and get rid of the items entirely, no mini-games, no target tests and no trophies. Oh and let's loose the new super moves too.
By now you should be able to tell that I'm writing in sarcasm. I know some of those are options already in melee, but I think taking off the stage's hazards make them generic and takes away from the nostalgiac flair that the series is all about. What's the point of rolling in Kanto when it plays the same way as Hyrule. None at all. Battlefield is a nice, straight stage. Final Destination is a straight stage. That's all we need. Let Smash Bros have it's FLAVOR! Please!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Okay, you've got Battlefield, and Smashville, and I'm sure there's more to come like that.

Some of us want variety, though. Just because a stage isn't going to work as well for the competitive Smashers doesn't mean it shouldn't be in. As I said there'll be plenty of those one huge platform stages with one or two smaller ones above it.

Castle Siege looks perfect the way it is, it looks like one of the few diverse worth playing on stages shown so far.

pdk

Smash Lord
i just love this logic

"we have stage picks, that adds depth now; go back to your flat-staged street fighter!"
"we can't have so much stuff moving around UUUUUUGH now where's the FD and 5 variations of the 3 platform template" (now i know stuff like touching the floor being almost instant death in big blue is an issue for some, but good lord people)

Talendime

Smash Ace
So far there's only been 3 moving stages. Melee had like 6 and they (IMO) only added to the intensity of the fight.
Stage hazards are good.. They keep your senses sharp..

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
I would have to agree that removing the stage hazards would take away from the stage's essence. I quite enjoy learning to adapt and overcome the stage and my opponent.

However if they were to throw in options to toggle hazards and what not, then i wouldn't complain really, although I strongly believe it's part of the challenge and contributes to your level of skill - afterall you and your opponent(s) are both playing on the same stage so it's pretty fair.
Obviously an exception to that is when a character can exploit a stage i.e. Fox laser camping Hyrule Temple, or the stage has random hazards that can kill you, or Icicle Mountain Full Stop :laugh:

Cheers,

Dave

IllidR

Smash Champion
Who said anything about tournament bans? We're saying we'd just like to enjoy the stage without it moving.. some people just like to play that way.

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
Only a handful of stages have been announced out of a potentially large group of them.
As time goes on i'm sure we'll see more stages suited to each players tastes (thats the best we can hope for anyway).

I'm sure there will be at least a few simple stages (with those awesome backgrounds of course ;)) but I think the current stages are fine as they are. Although like I said before if they do add some custom options for stages, then that shouldn't be a problem for anyone - only enhances the games for others.

Cheers,

Dave

Florida

イーグランツ
Turning off stage hazards is probably the most ridiculous concept I've seen around here (not really, but one of them). Play Smash for what it is, fun. We have only been given a taste of the amount of stages that will appear in Brawl, and we can already tell that stationary stages will get their fair share in the game. Let's not be tournament wh*res here, m'kay?

I actually like the motion stages, Lylat Cruise looks especially awesome.
I'm sure that Brawl will end up being balanced with how many motion and stationary stages are included.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Motion stages are cool, but can be annoying some of the times. Haven't you ever wished you could play just on the beginning flying ship of Rainbow Cruise for a whole match. That is what this is suggesting.. not because people are tournament wh*res as you've suggested, but because they play smash for what they think is fun.

Florida

イーグランツ
Motion stages are cool, but can be annoying some of the times. Haven't you ever wished you could play just on the beginning flying ship of Rainbow Cruise for a whole match. That is what this is suggesting.. not because people are tournament wh*res as you've suggested, but because they play smash for what they think is fun.
You're impying that the extra platforms and carpets on Rainbow Cruise, were stage hazzards? Of course people have thoughts of what they like about a certain stage, but turning hazzards off is just stupid. It's what makes that specific stage whole.

I bet a lot of you here loved stages such as Big Blue, Pokefloats, etc., but when you joined here your views were changed just because you wanted to have the same opinions of the majority. That's what I was getting out of tournament wh*res ;)

IllidR

Smash Champion
You're impying that the extra platforms and carpets on Rainbow Cruise, were stage hazzards? Of course people have thoughts of what they like about a certain stage, but turning hazzards off is just stupid. It's what makes that specific stage whole.

I bet a lot of you here loved stages such as Big Blue, Pokefloats, etc., but when you joined here your views were changed just because you wanted to have the same opinions of the majority. That's what I was getting out of tournament wh*res ;)
Acutally the original post implied both the hazards and fighting at set parts of the stage I.E. the boat in Rainbow Cruise. He's not saying you HAVE to play at just the one part of the stage but can set it if you want to. So it's an I enjoy playing one way, you enjoy another sort of thing.

That's what the whole game is about, you like playing your own way, that's why there's so much customization involved. I personally never liked playing on Big Blue or Pokefloats, getting dragged down by the cars would infuriate me and once that happens.. ILLIDR smash1:mad: But hey, that's just me.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
I love moving stages. They make the game more fun, challenging and unpredictable.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I agree with IllidR, there should be an OPTION(read it: option) for taking out hazards, and just playing in certain parts of stages...because it adds variety...to those people that say ''but people wont play the stages like they were meant to be played if there was such a feature".....your complaining...so you'll obviously want to play it on default....

I personally hate Big Blue...but love PokeFloats and Mute City...Rainbow Cruise is ok....and Infinite Glacier is just annoying...more jumping than fighting...

I'm not saying that I want every stage to be Final Destination/Battlefield type stages, nor would I play like that if there was an option to alter the stages to your liking....I'm just saying that once in awhile someone might want to relax and kick some A on top of Onix only, or Venusaur only, or just on the Rainbow Cruise ship, or maybe we can even speed up the effects of the stage so the blocks in Whispy Woods fall alot faster or Big Blue goes at Hyper Speed or we can play Rainbow Cruise really fast or maybe even add hazards to something like Final Destination....

All Im saying is that we should have options....because it pleases everyone and it adds to the fun...IMHO

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I agree that maybe Sakurai should infact not get to carried away with putting "too much" of these moving stages, don't get me wrong I love moving stages, because they add the challenge of having to stay on while smashing at the same time

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
true but loser like the gay below me will complain about it

vv LOSER vv

WHO?AreYou

Smash Journeyman
Well I think it's safe to say that what we're seeing now in the updates is not a fair representation of the stages that will be in Brawl.
Think about it (think think about it):
Sakurai is updating to add to the hype. Why would he show a "boring" non-moving stage when he can show a stage where something "exciting happens". We're seeing a lot of moving stages now, because to the casual gamer a plain stage isn't exciting. If Sakurai were posting updates for Melee would he be showing FD? No he'd be showing Icicle Mountain and Rainbow Cruise. Not because those stages are better, but because they are "exciting"
I have no worries. I'm sure with all these movable stages will be as many if not more standard non-moving stages.
And I think destroyable stages are a great idea. Personally, I'll be playing Skyworld first.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
I like this idea a lot. The castle siege idea is very good and should be applied to all levels like that. I can totally see myself preferring one section of that level, so it'd be nice if they gave a lot of options. I don't think they'll actually go to that length in the game though. At best they'll make it so environmental hazards can be turned off.

monty06

Smash Ace
i agree that there should be less moving stages because there wont be alot of tournament levels by the look of it so far

Sanjuinuthus

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we have too many moving stages (then again, that is my favorite type of level to play on). I'm just worried that we have too many miniscule stages. Bring back the greatness of SSB 64!

Conker1

Smash Ace
Well I think it's safe to say that what we're seeing now in the updates is not a fair representation of the stages that will be in Brawl.
Think about it (think think about it):
Sakurai is updating to add to the hype. Why would he show a "boring" non-moving stage when he can show a stage where something "exciting happens". We're seeing a lot of moving stages now, because to the casual gamer a plain stage isn't exciting. If Sakurai were posting updates for Melee would he be showing FD? No he'd be showing Icicle Mountain and Rainbow Cruise. Not because those stages are better, but because they are "exciting"
I have no worries. I'm sure with all these movable stages will be as many if not more standard non-moving stages.
And I think destroyable stages are a great idea. Personally, I'll be playing Skyworld first.
Casual Gamer != Non-Tourney Smash Players.

Casual gamers play Bejeweled and those kinds of games. Just because we don't play by tourney rules doesn't mena we are casual gamers, thank you.

monty06

Smash Ace
Casual Gamer != Non-Tourney Smash Players.

Casual gamers play Bejeweled and those kinds of games. Just because we don't play by tourney rules doesn't mena we are casual gamers, thank you.

i agree totally

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
I agree with IllidR, there should be an OPTION(read it: option) for taking out hazards, and just playing in certain parts of stages...because it adds variety...to those people that say ''but people wont play the stages like they were meant to be played if there was such a feature".....your complaining...so you'll obviously want to play it on default....

I personally hate Big Blue...but love PokeFloats and Mute City...Rainbow Cruise is ok....and Infinite Glacier is just annoying...more jumping than fighting...

I'm not saying that I want every stage to be Final Destination/Battlefield type stages, nor would I play like that if there was an option to alter the stages to your liking....I'm just saying that once in awhile someone might want to relax and kick some A on top of Onix only, or Venusaur only, or just on the Rainbow Cruise ship, or maybe we can even speed up the effects of the stage so the blocks in Whispy Woods fall alot faster or Big Blue goes at Hyper Speed or we can play Rainbow Cruise really fast or maybe even add hazards to something like Final Destination....

All Im saying is that we should have options....because it pleases everyone and it adds to the fun...IMHO
I 100% agree with you and IllidR, there's no reason not to have those options. I mean I'd enjoy playing certain parts of the moving stages and it'd be nice to be given the oppurtunity even if everyone might not take advantage of it. I'm not saying this so there will be more levels available for tournaments, I'm saying this because I would enjoy certain levels more without the hazards or movement. I don't play proffesionally, but that doesn't stop my friends and I from playing without items. Think of it this way... how many times have you gotten really pissed off cause you got hit with a blue turtle shell in Mario Kart? Sometimes in smash I find it's annoying to die for reasons out of my control, so I prefer to play with as little luck as possible incorporated. It's more satisying winning or losing based on skill rather than luck IMO. That's just what makes the game fun for me. I understand how some people prefer to have those aspects of luck, but I enjoy the game more without it, and I don't see why there's any reason we can't be given the options to cater to both types of players desires.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Delfino Plaza is the perfect stage (in theory for balance and interaction)

Yes, it IS more interactive than FD and Battlefield. But the only true interaction, is that the base platforms change slightly. It's still a stationary, static stage. It's an FD when the main platform is in the air, and it gets an addition platform or two when it lands. Nothing too far out there (castle siege) but not too uninteresting.

So far, actually even with all stages revealed, I would still think Delfino Plaza will be one of the favorite stages, both casual and tourny.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Refreshing stages that add variety to the stages included within Brawl must be the priority so that there is something for everyone.

As long as the moving stages are unique and not too monotonous I won't complain.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Stages that do anything that can kill you are awfull. stationary stages with optional moving or non moving platforms that dont change are ideal.

Top Bottom