• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too many Mario Reps?

Gaminguy010

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gaminguy010
Is it me or is there way too much Mario Representation in Smash 4? We have Mario, Peach, Bowser, Luigi, Rosalina, Bowser Jr. and Doctor Mario. Seven characters from one series, (not counting Bowser Jr.'s Koopaling alts). I personally think Sakurai was pushing it with Rosalina, (at the time made 5). Also there seems to be a significant amount of Mario Items. Blue Shell, Bullet Bill, Fire Bar, POW Block, Super Leaf and this isn't even counting the old Mario Items. (Don't get me wrong I'm ecstatic Rosalina is in, and that The Doc is back. But seven?)

Last edited:

Trout

Smash Rookie
NNID
Troutx
3DS FC
2723-9284-0082
7 out of 48 characters for Nintendo's largest franchise by far. It is a little high, but I think it's pretty excusable considering how big that franchise is. Rosalina makes sense because she's from a recent installment of the franchise - much like Fire Emblem was updated with Ike in Brawl, and Robin/Lucina in 4. The only one that's a bit of a head-scratcher is Doc, but I won't complain since it means we have access to a version of Mario that doesn't have a sprinkler in one of his special slots

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
9 if you count Yoshi/Wario

6 if you don't count doc, because he's a clone, not a unique spot planned since early in development

6 for Mario, 5 for Zelda? Fits with how well they sell.

2 For Kid Icarus, 2 for Metroid and DK? Sakurai why

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
The choice of characters to represent the series is good, fortunately enough.
I think it's reasonable considering what exactly Mario is to Nintendo as a whole; the biggest franchise in their arsenal. Maybe someone may still find it to be too much, but it isn't anything new, as Mario has always been the most represented in Smash (correct me if I'm wrong).

TopSecretZone

Smash Cadet
As much as I like Koopalings I could do without them, was never a Bowser Jr. fan. Rosalina I don't care for either despite loving SMG. I'd probably mind it less if they looked actually fun to play since at the end of the day that's all I really care about, not who's popular or who "deserves" representation.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
18 total if you lump Yoshi, DK, Diddy Kong, and the Koopaling alts. 8 from Mario: Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, Wario, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. 2 from Donkey Kong: DK and Diddy Kong. 1 from Yoshi's Story: Yoshi. The 7 Koopaling alts: Larry, Morton, Wendy, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy, and Ludwig. If you count the Daisy outfit, then it's 19 characters. If you count Toad as a character and not a move, then 20. If you count the enemies and Assist Trophies... Yeah. We can make it seem like Mario is extremely "over-represented".

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
It's very high if you count Yoshi and Wario like I do, but Doc is more like a costume. I don't mind the amount, but compared to the amount that other series get its really absurd.

If Super Mario gets 8ish :4mario::4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4bowser:yoshi, wario, and jr, then
Pokemon should be 7 or 8
Zelda should be 6 (not counting T. Link)
Donkey Kong should have at least K. Rool and
Metroid should have at least one other rep (Ridley or Dark Samus).

It's fine to have Nintendo's biggest franchise with a lot of reps as long as all of them are important, but it's not fine when other big Nintendo franchises get 1/2 or even 1/4 the amount of reps.

gamer8

Smash Lord
There's no such thing as too much Mario representation. Without Mario we probably wouldn't have video games like these today. Or any at all. It's pretty much the biggest and most important gaming franchise ever, it makes sense it'd get so much love.

Last edited:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
people are still surprised that mario has the most representation? guys. why the **** would you NOT represent your biggest series. besides, not once have I felt that this was more of a mario game than anything. there's WAY too much of other Nintendo stuff to balance mario out. this isn't Nintendo monopoly. that was mario over representation. sakurai knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
All Mario and no DK makes Smash a dull game.... (kudos if you get the reference). It's not that I hate Bowser Jr, his moves look pretty cool, although I don't see anyone maining him competitively. I'm disappointed Jr. made the cut over Paper Mario or Kamek. Paper Mario's newcomer splash art writes itself. "PAPER MARIO Makes the cut!"

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
As long as they are unique I don't care. When they start adding clones to increase that amount I'll start getting salty. I hate clones. Sad that most of the clones are downright better than the originals.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
There also comes a point when we start running out of well known Nintendo characters or IP. Mario is KNOWN. Xenoblade.... eh who? That's why Mario has so many reps and Xenoblade is just now getting their first. If the roster increases exponentially in every game like it has so far, Nintendo's just gonna have to draw newcomer's names out of a hat.

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
I'm ok with it as it's the biggest franchise they own. As long as they are different enough as Bowser Jnr and Rosalina + Luma are makes it even better.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
I look at it this way: Mario's first game on a console is called Super Mario Brothers. The first Smash game is called Super Smash Brothers.

So looking at Smash as a spin off game, something the Mario series has plenty of, I think the amount of reps isn't too much. Doc is pushing it, but then again, it's not like Mario doesn't deserve a new character every game. Especially consistent ones like Jr. and Ros.

Personal feelings aside, Doc is...eh...questionable.

But if you look at Smash as a stand alone series then I would say the Mario series is Nintendo's flagship and the most successful gaming series of all time. They should have the most characters in Smash. Alts tied to one character's CSS spot doesn't take away anything so don't see a problem with the koopalings even though I don''t like them.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
There's no such thing as too much Mario representation. Without Mario we probably wouldn't have video games like these today. Or any at all. It's pretty much the biggest and most important gaming franchise ever, it makes sense it'd get so much love.
Not at the expense of other franchises. Smash Bros isn't solely a Mario game, it's a cross over of Nintendo games, so I don't think it needs to take up so many spots on the roster. This isn't to say that Rosalina and Bowser Jr aren't great additions, though, but I don't think its too much to ask for one more Pokemon representative (for example).

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
>Mario gets 3 more characters, making it 9 characters (Yes, Wario and Yoshi counts. Stop denying it)
>StarFox loses a character and is down to only 2 reps again.
>Mother loses a character and is down to ONE rep again.
>Still no new Zelda character.
>Still no new Donkey Kong character.
>Ice Climbers removed, their whole IP is out of representation in the roster.

Yep, Mario is dominating the roster alright. Hell, even Pokémon has less reps than it did in Brawl. Oh, and not to mention the damned unecessary third Kid Icarus character who is just filler anyway.

Last edited:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Not at the expense of other franchises. Smash Bros isn't solely a Mario game, it's a cross over of Nintendo games, so I don't think it needs to take up so many spots on the roster. This isn't to say that Rosalina and Bowser Jr aren't great additions, though, but I don't think its too much to ask for one more Pokemon representative (for example).
Did you not pay attention to what I just said? I specifically said the non-Mario references overpower the Mario references. I would honestly be pissed if Zelda or Pokemon started having more representation. I think it's good to have more representation for other series', but at the same time make sure Mario has the most, without disturbing the balance of other series'. Like I said, not once did I think this was a Mario dominated game. This is a Nintendo dominated game.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Mario gets + 3
Pokmeon gets -1

Pls add Mewtwo to fix.

Its not too bad, or wouldn't be if not for certain glaringly obvious commissions (see sig - although Ridley as stage boss is acceptable if the others weren't missing)

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Im not gonna be one of those Nintendo extremists and say that Mario is the "God of all Gaming" and "deserves" as many characters as humanly possible in a crossover, but the only reasonable excuse in my opinion is that the Mario series did not get any newcomers in Brawl and it got two newcomers in Melee, so it would seem fair to add to newcomers to make up for the lack of newcomers in Brawl. If anything, it's a pattern. Depending if Sakurai devides to keep this pattern and his roster direction doesn't change, we will see newcomers from the DK, Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby etc in future Smash titles

Super Smash Bros is first and foremost and will forever be a crossover about Nintendo. Not exclusively Mario.

Last edited:

pikafire

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2906-9493
Mario and Pokemon SHOULD have the most reps. Easily the most important franchises.

Donkey Kong should have a few more though, for sure.

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
I like the amount of Mario reps, but I'm biased towards the series. Realistically, maybe it should have like one less? I guess?

>Mario gets 3 more characters, making it 9 characters (Yes, Wario and Yoshi counts. Stop denying it)
> denying it's subjective

I don't count them. They are now the star of their own series, even if they originated in Mario, it's not as black and white as you make it sound.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
I don't think there are too many at all personally. Mario is featured in countless Nintendo games and so are all of his cohorts picked up over the years. And if you're asking me if I'd rather have Rosalina and Bowser Jr. over Wolf and Lucas (especially given that most if not all of their unique moves are available via customization) I'd definitely say yes. Give me characters that play completely differently over semi-clones.

Last edited:

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
It's there biggest series as everyone has stated. That's were it all started. DK and Yoshi are both sub-series from mario, so those count too. It's fair that it has that amount of characters, and I don't see why it should bother you. Although I do think Zelda needs more representatives (Two links, Two zeldas and ganon? That's only 3 characters. ) I could see Midna, Skull Kid, and Impa being three great additions to the roster, and that's only a few off the top of my head. But I should not go off topic. The moral of the story is, I don't think that's too many for there biggest franchise.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
It's there biggest series as everyone has stated. That's were it all started. DK and Yoshi are both sub-series from mario, so those count too. It's fair that it has that amount of characters, and I don't see why it should bother you. Although I do think Zelda needs more representatives (Two links, Two zeldas and ganon? That's only 3 characters. ) I could see Midna, Skull Kid, and Impa being three great additions to the roster, and that's only a few off the top of my head. But I should not go off topic. The moral of the story is, I don't think that's too many for there biggest franchise.
Link and Toon Link aren't the same hero. Hell, they aren't even in the same continuity. Impa should've been in there, surprised she was left out.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
Link and Toon Link aren't the same hero. Hell, they aren't even in the same continuity. Impa should've been in there, surprised she was left out.
Well yeah I realize every link is a different link in each game, so I guess those two are not really the same. Even if there movesets are basically the same, they are technically different people. Yeah Impa's cool In my opinion.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Just don't count the Koopalings as separate characters. That is like in Brawl you were counting the dark palette for Pit as a different charac... oh.
I find comprehensible that Mario gets that many reps of all of the Nintendo franchises. Still doesn't rule out the fact that other franchises feel too underrepresented.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I think the amount of Mario reps is accurate for how important the franchise is to Nintendo. But I do think that some other series should also get more representation in comparison as well. (Zelda, DK, Metroid)
also Dr. Mario really needs to be replaced by Paper Mario

Last edited:

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
I think the amount of Mario reps is accurate for how important the franchise is to Nintendo. But I do think that some other series should also get more representation in comparison as well. (Zelda, DK, Metroid)
also Dr. Mario really needs to be replaced by Paper Mario

We could just have dr mario and paper mario as alternates for mario.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Just don't count the Koopalings as separate characters. That is like in Brawl you were counting the dark palette for Pit as a different charac... oh.
I find comprehensible that Mario gets that many reps of all of the Nintendo franchises. Still doesn't rule out the fact that other franchises feel too underrepresented.
TECHNICALLY they're 7 different characters. While they are treated as colors, the announcer gives them name, and they even get unique artwork. Alph, Male Trainer, the various Villagers, and Female Robin can all be considered as pseudo-newcomers. I just hate how when Kirby copies one of those guys, the default character is represented, especially for Robin. Female Robin has her own artwork, yet she doesn't get her own Kirby Hat? And the Koopalings all share Bowser Jr.'s hat? Lame.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
While 7 reps is pretty high, Mario is pretty much the face of Nintendo, and one of the most recognizable mascots in human history.

As far as too many reps are concerned, the pretty obvious standout is easily Kid Icarus, with 2 representatives too many (and I say this as someone with the full intention of playing the hell out of Palutena).

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I always push for more reps from old underrepresented series' (Mother, F-Zero, Metroid, classic characters, etc), but I cannot deny that I am, for once, impressed with both of Mario's newcomers (Doc doesn't count, he was already my favorite Mario character in Melee).

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
I always push for more reps from old underrepresented series' (Mother, F-Zero, Metroid, classic characters, etc), but I cannot deny that I am, for once, impressed with both of Mario's newcomers (Doc doesn't count, he was already my favorite Mario character in Melee).
Out of all those you mentioned, Metroid needs it the most. Metroid's not dead yet, unlike Mother and F-Zero. If Star Fox can have 2 original characters in a period where it only got a remake, then Metroid can do the same and more.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
Out of all those you mentioned, Metroid needs it the most. Metroid's not dead yet, unlike Mother and F-Zero. If Star Fox can have 2 original characters in a period where it only got a remake, then Metroid can do the same and more.
R.I.P Mother. Metroid does not have many characters that would be cool in smash bros though. If I'm wrong, name a few other than Ridley. Also Mother has a lot of characters that would be cool. Ninten would be cool and so would any other playable character from mother 1, 2 or 3. Star fox deserves it's characters in my opinion.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Metroid also happens to be one of the most consistently critically acclaimed videogame series of all time (let us forget about Other M and Hunters). Really, it definitely deserves more attention than it's getting.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
Metroid also happens to be one of the most consistently critically acclaimed videogame series of all time (let us forget about Other M and Hunters). Really, it definitely deserves more attention than it's getting.
Sure, I believe you. But, what characters? o u o other than ridley? I don't think any of those generic humans from other m would be exciting. I doubt anyone cares about them.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
R.I.P Mother. Metroid does not have many characters that would be cool in smash bros though. If I'm wrong, name a few other than Ridley. Also Mother has a lot of characters that would be cool. Ninten would be cool and so would any other playable character from mother 1, 2 or 3. Star fox deserves it's characters in my opinion.
The only problem with Metroid is that Samus and Ridley are basically the only main characters. The Hunters appeared in only one game, Dark Samus appeared in a trilogy, Anthony and Adam appeared in one game, Kraid is waaaaaay too large, etc. Dark Samus was my last remanning hope for a Metroid rep, but no ****ing Assist Trophy like a bunch of the other highly requested characters.

Top Bottom