• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tomafia 4: Game Over - Mafia Wins!

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
It's somehow been two years since I posted on SWF. Even longer since I played a mafia game, other than a brief in person post-D&D game of Werewolf.

Day one is always the worst.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just woke up a couple minutes ago and heard the news. I'll be sure to send a ham to Tom's widow as is customary.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
It's somehow been two years since I posted on SWF. Even longer since I played a mafia game, other than a brief in person post-D&D game of Werewolf.

Day one is always the worst.
Yeah Day One is usually annoying. In my last game I did an obviously fake claim as "day cop with a guilty result" to spice it up, with mixed results.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I believe you can tag the moderator and ask to be sure, but the linked wiki for 2d3 is pretty clear. There is no 3rd party like serial killer etc, there are exactly 2 mafia (At least one Goon, and the other is random between the 3 possible Mafia roles) and 7 townies no matter how the dice rolls.
Yeah it's pretty neat. I guess the limit of only one power role to scum is for balance? Tbh I kinda like it. Power roles are fun, but games with tons of them get pretty tricky later in terms of believing claims.

--- --- Aight let's get this Day rolling. Vote: --- .

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Woah... very quick Werekill. I dont even think half of us posted yet. We have 3 days before we need to actually vote. Maybe we can slow down just a smidge? We are running on zero information, yeah its day one, but I at least want to get a feel on everyone.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Alright which one of you killed Tom. Be honest now.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Being voted for straight out of the gate? I guess that makes sense, I like chocolate better too.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Woah... very quick Werekill. I dont even think half of us posted yet. We have 3 days before we need to actually vote. Maybe we can slow down just a smidge? We are running on zero information, yeah its day one, but I at least want to get a feel on everyone.
It's almost as if this is how the game is played, and voting is the single way to get reads/reactions day 1.

Why are you opposed to early voting? How can you get a feel on people with zero information?

Being voted for straight out of the gate? I guess that makes sense, I like chocolate better too.
Yup, voted for straight out of the gate.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
It’s almost always going to be 0 information on d1.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Um... just saying everyone hasn't introduced themselves again.
I'd much rather people come in to active discussion instead of mere intro fluff, no offense.

Tom Tom Mind confirming on whether a hammer is a thing in this game or not? Current DGame culture makes it unclear, and it'd also be important to point out to new players like Tewn.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah do we need 5/9 or is it majority at the end of the night? Assuming 5/9 since 2d3 is based on it.

Frankly, <π seems either inexperienced at Mafia, scum, or both. Discussing things rapidly on D1 is critical for town, not only because it influences D1 lynch but because as the game state changes we can reference how D1 discussion went with the context of role reveals of dead players. If you're pro-town, you should be trying to discuss things, not delay discussion. Even though we have little information to go off for a lynch, votes at this point in time are likely to give Town information and highly unlikely to actually result in a lynch out the gate.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Really want to hear from CK and Rockin. Really want non-contributors who have posted to start joining in. TriHy's reply to his vote was a non-starter which isn't necessarily indicative of anything since I don't know how he plays.

--- --- do you have anything to say about Werekill's vote? I like chocolate as well but I'm not sure how it's applicable here.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'll Vote: --- to add pressure and hasten things but I don't have a read on him yet.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Yeah do we need 5/9 or is it majority at the end of the night? Assuming 5/9 since 2d3 is based on it.

Frankly, <π seems either inexperienced at Mafia, scum, or both. Discussing things rapidly on D1 is critical for town, not only because it influences D1 lynch but because as the game state changes we can reference how D1 discussion went with the context of role reveals of dead players. If you're pro-town, you should be trying to discuss things, not delay discussion. Even though we have little information to go off for a lynch, votes at this point in time are likely to give Town information and highly unlikely to actually result in a lynch out the gate.
I'm leaning towards general hesitancy since <pi has a point; not everyone has even posted yet. I just think it's an invalid point.

Definitely noting his behavior for later though, to be reevaluated after further posts and/or flips.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Really want to hear from CK and Rockin. Really want non-contributors who have posted to start joining in. TriHy's reply to his vote was a non-starter which isn't necessarily indicative of anything since I don't know how he plays.

--- --- do you have anything to say about Werekill's vote? I like chocolate as well but I'm not sure how it's applicable here.
CK got replaced by Medi, it seems.

I'll Vote: --- to add pressure and hasten things but I don't have a read on him yet.
Aw yes, that sweet pressure. Welcome to the cool kids table. We've been waiting for you.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Oh **** okay, so it's just Rockin that hasn't posted yet. My bad. Thanks for that correction.

Re: lessthanpi, I want to call out hesitancy right out the gate with this group since I have 0 idea how you all play. Hesitancy, lurking, inactivity etc all benefit scum too much. I know we have til Friday but that's really not that much time when you consider there will be swatches of time of folks at work unable to post. Plus you know BRoomer posting activity... we have to light fires or we'll never do admissions again.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Actually good find SB, it looks like most people HAVE posted. Rockin was active yesterday afternoon, so it's probably safe to assume that he will post later.

I'll be real here and say that I don't really care too much about meta. It's too easily misleading.

But <pi's behavior definitely could reek given further posts from him, and I want to see how the rest of his stuff looks before I decide how I feel about his hesitancy.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
<pi's behavior definitely could reek given further posts from him, and I want to see how the rest of his stuff looks before I decide how I feel about his hesitancy.
But if he's inexperienced, wouldn't he be falling into the typical scum traps as well? Which would look like..hesitancy...invalid points...etc?

At what point does <pi look scummier than --- to you?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's Day One, so not much. Someone has to start the bandwagon. Based on your vote I can tell you like strawberry.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
But if he's inexperienced, wouldn't he be falling into the typical scum traps as well? Which would look like..hesitancy...invalid points...etc?

This is also true tbh.

--- wagon has no substance but got the ball rolling on reactions, as intended. Unvote, Vote: <pi

This vote is for pressure to get answers on the hesitancy. <pi, why were you hesitant to make any pushes this early? Most people had posted, as SB pointed out.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Tom Tom Mind confirming on whether a hammer is a thing in this game or not? Current DGame culture makes it unclear, and it'd also be important to point out to new players like Tewn.
Per the note at the end of the vote counts, hammer is a thing.

Vote Count [5/9 to lynch]:
--- --- (1): Strong Badam Strong Badam
<π (1): Lore Lore
Not voting (7): <π , TewnLeenk TewnLeenk , Pythag Pythag , Rockin Rockin , @Matunas, --- --- , Mediocre Mediocre

Day 1 will end without a lynch on Friday, March 29 at 5:30 CST, or when a player reaches 5/9 votes.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

Well frankly he does look scummier than Trihy already but it's not really a good read atm since almost everyone hasn't voted and nearly half the players aren't actually participating even if they have posted. If <pi starts participating in the discussion more then he starts seeming less scummy to me but like I said I don't have a strong scumread on him anyway, most of the original point was to pressure him to talk which is good for town regardless of his alignment.

For all we know folks like Rockin, Matunas, TewnLeenk (basically people who have posted very little and also nothing of substance) are scum. I just need people to discuss the votes, how they seem, and why.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well frankly he does look scummier than Trihy already but it's not really a good read atm since almost everyone hasn't voted and nearly half the players aren't actually participating even if they have posted. If <pi starts participating in the discussion more then he starts seeming less scummy to me but like I said I don't have a strong scumread on him anyway, most of the original point was to pressure him to talk which is good for town regardless of his alignment.

For all we know folks like Rockin, Matunas, TewnLeenk (basically people who have posted very little and also nothing of substance) are scum. I just need people to discuss the votes, how they seem, and why.
This is mostly why I moved my vote. I'd rather put pressure on someone with legitimate questions to answer rather than ---, who can just shrug the votes as being without substance. Which, of course, was the intention of the ---: to gather info and new pressure targets.

For the inactive people, I'd like to give them a pass for today since it hasn't been 24 hours since game start. After that? It's on.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi

I'm leaning towards general hesitancy since <pi has a point; not everyone has even posted yet. I just think it's an invalid point.

Definitely noting his behavior for later though, to be reevaluated after further posts and/or flips.
Oh **** okay, so it's just Rockin that hasn't posted yet. My bad. Thanks for that correction.

Re: lessthanpi, I want to call out hesitancy right out the gate with this group since I have 0 idea how you all play. Hesitancy, lurking, inactivity etc all benefit scum too much. I know we have til Friday but that's really not that much time when you consider there will be swatches of time of folks at work unable to post. Plus you know BRoomer posting activity... we have to light fires or we'll never do admissions again.
How does "hesitancy" equate to scum behavior? I'm genuinely curious.

I feel like the opposite is true; rushing to vote people off without getting feelers out seems like a waste of a day for us, even day one.

We want to get as much evidence out of the day as possible. With a 7 in 9 chance of hitting town I guarantee you mafia won't get voted out day one. Good mafia players are going to try and steer any true threats of being voted out early. I feel like if we pay attention and don't just bandwagon on votes we might be able to see those connections more clearly.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
posting to avoide inactivity prod (damn, game started litterally when I was at work... LOL)

I'll do a read up now and catch up

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer

I feel like the opposite is true; rushing to vote people off without getting feelers out seems like a waste of a day for us, even day one.

We want to get as much evidence out of the day as possible. With a 7 in 9 chance of hitting town I guarantee you mafia won't get voted out day one. Good mafia players are going to try and steer any true threats of being voted out early. I feel like if we pay attention and don't just bandwagon on votes we might be able to see those connections more clearly.
Then how do you suggest we do anything D1? We have nothing to go on besides votes.

If you're going to push for a no lynch, hoo boy. That's a no.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
This is mostly why I moved my vote. I'd rather put pressure on someone with legitimate questions to answer rather than ---, who can just shrug the votes as being without substance. Which, of course, was the intention of the ---: to gather info and new pressure targets.

For the inactive people, I'd like to give them a pass for today since it hasn't been 24 hours since game start. After that? It's on.

True...

Random Idea: Instead of shooting at random. Yall want to talk about previous mafia games you've played and how you won or loss wether you were town or mafia? Maybe that will give us some insight into each others play styles as a way to kind of look for tells?

Last mafia game I remember was a smash themed mafia game. (I'm just going from memory don't fact check me too hard)
I was "nana" the boss of the Mafia so I got kill power. I was paired with a townie "popo" and was able to talk with him privately at any time. But if he didn't know my alignment he thought I was town, if popo died at all I would as well.
Mafia won that game because I took a leadership role really commanded the actions of my popo guy to help drive votes. I let someone else plant a seed of suspicion in the group of a non mafia player and just kind of killed off people who spoke against that person and tried to play everyone off of each other. I wasn't against being an early voter on a fellow mafia and losing one of my own to "appear town".
I was also way more senior than the people I was playing with and had a green name tag, I really tried to subconsciously use that to kind of slide into that leadership role as well.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I'm pretty against using meta/playstyle as a defense or reason to vote for someone. You can always change your playstyle between games or intentionally misrepresent how your meta used to be.

Also why are you bringing up a game where you played as mafia in detail? Then more or less bragging about how you won?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I didn't even really think of that as an option... 2/9 to hit is better than 0.

Then why even bring up the 7 in 9 chance in the second post I quoted here?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah, meta isn't going to get us anywhere. Let's not waste time on that.

<π You're asking us to discuss meta and aren't even linking to the game you describe. It's even kind of weird that you bring it up by responding to a post you've already replied to.

Re: hesitancy, it's not scummy behavior. Scum/town behavior isn't really objective anyway particularly D1 since players think/play differently. What I was communicating is that hesitancy on the part of Town is conducive to their loss. If we **** around because we perceive that we have time and all of the sudden we dont have a lynch vote and Night begins, Town is at a huge disadvantage. All of 2 people have even dropped a vote, and day 1 even if a player is at L-1 it's pretty unlikely they will be hammered early by scum unless scum is ****ty. Werekill and I are attempting to provoke discussion during the random voting phase, not actually drive a lynch with over 48 hours remaining. Please stop introducing friction in response to a very common means of acquiring information.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I hear of discussion and whatnot, but all I see are just light wifom at metagaming and baseless votes.

Yeah I wasn't expecting the scum number to be hinted at in the opening flavor, isn't that kinda rare?
I haven't played in quite awhile, but back when I was a bit active, this wasn't the norm. we get our players and guess what the roles are throughout the Night results/day results. I actually welcome this change because this means we don't have to deal with any silly wifom or try to guess what the hell happened at night (well, as many guesses/questions that normally happens). I dunno how hard it is to understand it, especially since your role PM would match it.

Discussing INFORMATIVE information (or at least, as informative as it gets)rapidly is crucial to town. Rapid discussions with little to no base/value can lead to mislynches and possible lack of info to go on for the next upcoming Days, and I rather we take as much time as need to calmly discuss who we want to lynch and why.

Calling someone inexperienced at mafia/scum is rude on both accounts, in a way. Whether that may be we don't know for quite certain, but even if they don't have the experience, we can at least give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll provide info or we'll assume they're not worth having around (which shouldn't be the case. every townie, vet or not, are valued)

It's Day One, so not much. Someone has to start the bandwagon.
I guess, but again, I just don't see the value in the bandwagon.

Top Bottom