• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad put to good use

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Been quite a while since I made a thread in here, Heh, well hello to all the Peach players that know me here and stuff. Now to my topic

Saturday I was Playing a Falco, And you know how good Falco players love to short hop-laser. And I notice that when Falco players do this, they move towards you while doing it. So I just decided to use Toad while he is comming up at me. And it works wonders, If Falco gets Close enough to you, you can use the toad and the spores or w/e it is comes out and it will hit him, funny thing is that toad move have more of a reach than I exppected. So when a Falco goes crazy with the laser and is moving in I can use toad to stop him. And maybe from there I can tech chase him or what ever option I have at that moment.

Another thing I discovered as well is useing toad while coming back to the stage. Like I was coming back and then my opponent did a Dsmash or some low attack. and I was not far from grabbing the edge so I used toad and it countered him. Then when Peach puts the toad away, she automaticly grabs the edge alone. I think you have to be in a certain angle of the Stage for this to work, and im not to sure if the toad will connect with all attacks. This is more of a mindgame. And it can be a safe way to grab the edge against a blood thirsty player. Im not all that sure about this one though. Thought I see if I can use this in my gameplay and if it is a useful thing to do.

Well I want your opinions on this. I want to know if it is something good to use in battle or not. Cause im not quite sure about this but it seems to work the few times I tried it.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Hmm, I like it, if you can get it off on the opponent then they will always watch for it, and then you can trick them into thinking it is coming....

But, Do not overuse this, if they are at the edge and you did that last time, they may start smashing, and you counter, but then they are charging and BOOM, you are dead from falcos charged Dsmash.

But it is a good thing to use every once in a while, nice find that she will grab the edge if used correctly.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I thought I was the only Peach player to use toad thank god... seriously though toads spores have all the range. I'll check out that toad edge grab thingy later it seems interesting to me...and only me

Sepph

Smash Rookie
I've used toad to fake out my opponents on recovery when they try to edge hog me, since Peach somehow stops falling when using toad (only the first time you use it, like luigi's tornado) and you are somehow protected from incoming attacks. However, spores are not very strong and do not stun if you did not "sweet spot" the toad, and due to the lag you'll be facing another threat.

As Phloat said, you screw up and you're done; but it's actually fun use toad on rare ocasions (plus it can deal 19% of damage!)

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
Use Toad when you're recovering to get a little slight bump upwards, and follow that up with a float. There. You have a higher float, congratulations.

Use it near the edge, bonk, you've grabbed the edge. (Only works if this is your first use of Toad in the air).

Toad is underestimated.
Now, about SSBB... what will happen to Peach's B move if Toad is a character?

Peach: Toad! Stop attacking me!
Toad: Why not?
Peach: Or else I'll use you as a shield!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I always get "what the f..." looks in tournaments when I use toad. Depending on the type of opponant you play against (aggresive versus reactionary), you can actually get much more use out of the toad by leading into the ledge upon recovery with him. If it is an aggressive opponant, he WILL attack, and he will hit the toad. If it is more of a reactionary opponant, well, your pretty much screwed.

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
I've got a question. Is it a good idea to pull out toad on a nair spamming falcon or Ganondorf? I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to competitive play, so I do whatever works for me at the moment, but I was just wondering if it would generally be a good idea.

The only other thing I could think of doing would be to try and upsmash out of shield, but sadly I don't have the timing for that down.

Flicksta

Smash Rookie
I've used the toad as a last ditch defense against attacks. The most common use is against edge guarding and Samus charged/ blue missile shot. I'll have to see if I can test the toad against enemy advances.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I uses toad for recovering similar to the way marth uses right-b. I least I'm trying to implement it right now. I saw wife or someone else use it in a video.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I've got a question. Is it a good idea to pull out toad on a nair spamming falcon or Ganondorf? I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to competitive play, so I do whatever works for me at the moment, but I was just wondering if it would generally be a good idea.

The only other thing I could think of doing would be to try and upsmash out of shield, but sadly I don't have the timing for that down.
You would be suprised on how Marth, Faclon, Gannon and a few others you can toad. I use it all the time, but that is because I know my enemy and I know when to strike. And even if I never play you, I can at times see a attack coming a mile away, so instead of shielding, I use toad. Im not reckless with it. Im smart with it. cause if you miss, your azz is done

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
You would be suprised on how Marth, Faclon, Gannon and a few others you can toad. I use it all the time, but that is because I know my enemy and I know when to strike. And even if I never place you, I can at times see a attack coming a mile away, so instead of shielding, I use toad. Im not reckless with it. Im smart with it. cause if you miss, your azz is done
Gannon-Banned. >_>

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Meh, thats your opinion so cant say much about this. This is how I feel and experience I have with catching people with it

Top Bottom