• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I guess Toad is deconfirmed now.

Yes, Sakurai did say Peach's moves are not finalized yet and her moveset "may be refreshed" by the time SSB4 comes out... but what does that mean?

Does that mean if Sakurai has enough development time to add Toad, then Peach gets a new B move... if Sakurai doesn't have enough development time to add Toad, then Peach keeps her old B move?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All I'm thinking of now is her having slightly different aerials. Her butt ram Back Air seems to have been removed for a Forward Air clone attack though, like how Zelda does it.

I'm not expecting anything radical as changing her Specials.

I'll miss supporting the little guy, but guess I gotta move on to Paper Mario now. Shamefully.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meh, I am not desperate for a fifth Mario character that I would settle for Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., Waluigi, etc. if Toad is deconfirmed. I want Toad because he complements SMB2 (retro)/SM3DW (modern) heroes and the Mario Big 8 before the exclusive Mario All-Stars club lowered its standards as to include the likes of Waluigi, Toadette, and Baby Daisy. That, and Toad was awesome in Mario Kart games and I liked playing as the Toads in NSMB games! If Toad is deconfirmed, then there's nothing else I want from the Mario series in Smash other than items and stages.

As much as I hate to give people false hope, it's best to keep an open mind on certain matters. So....

1) Toad is actually in the game but Sakurai may refresh the color palette because it's awkward as hell for him
2) (Color) Toad is in. Don't know what Nintendo's deal is with the normal colored Toad
3) He's probably gonna change some unchanged moves which are the following : Toad, forward air, dash attack, up tilt, forward air and b-throw. We don't know which one he'll change but ehhhhh
4) Toad's not in. GG

There's no way Sakurai can just develop Toad out of no where unless he's that good or that fast but I doubt it. He'll only change the palette swap if Toad is actually in the game already.

Toad isn't deconfirmed but then again, he's near that territory (Unless some miracle happens).

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The problem with Blue Toad lies... He will have a red costume to, which is Classic Toad. Which is the same Toad Peach carries with her.

So...
Uh, no it wouldn't be.
He'd most likely have a red vest, not a blue one.

Uh, no it wouldn't be.
He'd most likely have a red vest, not a blue one.
I'm fine with anything really. Gonna make a long-ass write up on Toad. I don't care about Ridley. He's hopeless because of the inescapable fact............ that he's big

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm fine with anything really. Gonna make a long-*** write up on Toad. I don't care about Ridley. He's hopeless because of the inescapable fact............ that he'sbig
no cats for smash cuz link is allergic
his tunic is made of cats because all he says is HIYAH-chu

Honestly though, I do think "the" Toad should be the one playable. Not some recolor that was created for the sake of having different colors being applied to different characters.

New OP update and intentional double post. Important for supporters.

*dun* *dun* *dun* *daaaaaaaaaaaaawn*
Toad has been revealed

As........................................................ a moveset

Disappointed? So you're probably gonna go of and be like, "It's hopeless". It's not but it's dim. Time to dive into the very quote that sparked the ray of hope foundation. Here's what I, brigade captain Berserkersomeguy, can take from this message. Note that I'll classify whether what I'm saying is probably captain obvious true or lolnopemaybewrong. So here we go!

Here's the quote of Sakurai that only appeared in Peach's photos as caption

"Peach's moves may be refreshed or changed (Or something)"
So what can we make out of this... HM.....

1st possibility : Toad could be made last minute via quick decision

Likeliness : 15%

This is something that desperate toad supporters would think of but it's simply unlikely. Sure it may be possible but what are the odds of that? Would Sakurai go through so much just to add Toad despite the roster being finalized? I think not.

2nd possibility : Toad is in the game and Sakurai is feeling awkward about having the Toad special move having the same palette as Toad (If playable)
Likeliness : 35%

Possible. Sakurai is pretty known for being a joker (poker). This is definitely possible, however may be unlikely not because it's illogical (What the ****). It's because well..... He's been presented as a moveset but it should be noted that there's more than one toad with the same color. But, there's that picture with Toad (Or not).

3rd possibility : Same as #2 but with Blue Toad as then new playable character except addressed as Toad
Likeliness : 34.9%

There's a big difference with Ridley and Toad when it comes to this. For one, "Blue" Toad has appeared in several games already such as New Super Mario Bros Wii U, Wii and most importantly Super Mario 3D World but that's probably cause they wanted it to match the SMB2 aura with Blue Toad being blue. Oh wait, Peach doesn't have brown hair. Never mind. Problem still remains the same.

4th possibility : Surprise, it's Toad (Surprise reveal)
Likeliness : 31%

Hear me out in this one, it's possible this can happen. Nintendo is pretty good when it comes to surprising their fans. Problem is............. It's too.... Situational? Don't know the word but it's not that likely. (To be continued, weird post gap. Can't go down)

5th possibility (Bad ending) : Nope
Likeliness : 50% / 56%

Sakurai confirms that Ridley is too big and Toad is better than him.

The worst possible way for this speculation and support to end which is the rejection. Unfortunately, this is the most likely outcome........ As of now due to the given information. These arbitrary percentages are subject to change through out the hype.

Important things to know:

1) Don't jump the gun yet on Toad. It's not over until it's over. This picture does NOT DECONFIRM TOAD but it's a bad sign. That's for sure but remember : DO NOT GET YOUR HOPES UP AND KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED.

2) The same colored Toad argument is a fairly strong argument. The only thing that matters is what Sakurai thinks of Toad which hasn't been said yet. Rumors state that Sakurai thinks that a moveset fits Toad well but there's no solid evidence of that so screw it. If you see anyone use this then mark it as pure bull****. If they try to say, Sakurai clearly thought of Toad as a moveset as clearly seen. Toad was put as a moveset. Tell 'em, "So you're telling me Sakurai sees Ridley as a boss fight?"

3) Blue Toad is pretty much possible. No doubt about it. meh.

4) Anything can happen. Surprises? Anything really. No matter how anyone sees how this message, it's still weird that it was only posted for PEACH and it DID NOT APPLY FOR EVERY OTHER CHARACTER. No implications please. Thank you.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I guess Toad is deconfirmed now.

Yes, Sakurai did say Peach's moves are not finalized yet and her moveset "may be refreshed" by the time SSB4 comes out... but what does that mean?

Does that mean if Sakurai has enough development time to add Toad, then Peach gets a new B move... if Sakurai doesn't have enough development time to add Toad, then Peach keeps her old B move?
Read what I said on the previous page. I don't think Toad is completely de-confirmed.

However, if both Ridley and Toad are de-confirmed, I am really starting to questions Sakurai's roster decisions with this game, especially considering those two are probably the most iconic characters from veteran Nintendo franchises that are not yet playable.

No doubt we will get a punch of tools that will say Ridley and Toad were not even worthy enough to be playable to begin with. I have a feeling if those two are indeed de-confirmed, the situation is going to look very grim in terms of newcomers on at least the veteran franchises side of things.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I have a feeling if those two are indeed de-confirmed, the situation is going to look very grim in terms of newcomers on at least the veteran franchises side of things.
Am I like the only person who actually doesn't mind this? Granted, it'd be disappointing, and I'd love for supporting characters to be added to almost every franchise, but I've kind-of come to expect this.

Also such a shame, I'm starting to grow a liking for the idea of a playable Toad. All hope definitely isn't lost, especially since any other time they said "Tweaking a moveset" they meant the B moves, but I'd definitely not expect it.

Watch him be confirmed in 3D World and all the other reveals are Diddy Kong and Yoshi, angering everybody.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would love for Toad to be confirmed as a playable character on December when Super Mario 3D World comes out but I am not holding my breath for that. We are probably getting a Pokemon veteran, Zelda, and Diddy Kong for October, November, and December respectively.

Anyone else notice that Sakurai seems to be teasing a lot of fans when it comes to logical newcomers... showing a new stage based on Fire Emblem: Awakening but not showing Chrom as a playable character... showing a Punch-Out!! stage but not showing Little Mac as a playable character... showing a stage where the Ridley boss fight took place in but not showing Ridley as a playable character or stage hazard... showing Toad still part of Peach's moveset but telling us that Peach's moveset is not finalized yet...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Anyone else notice that Sakurai seems to be teasing a lot of fans when it comes to logical newcomers... showing a new stage based on Fire Emblem: Awakening but not showing Chrom as a playable character... showing a Punch-Out!! stage but not showing Little Mac as a playable character... showing a stage where the Ridley boss fight took place in but not showing Ridley as a playable character or stage hazard... showing Toad still part of Peach's moveset but telling us that Peach's moveset is not finalized yet...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person that noticed this. That Sakurai, eh?

Best solution for me would be they model a moustache(and bow tie/waistcoat) on Peach's B and give it a colour swap. Highly unlikely, but it wouldn't take a lot of effort to model a stache if Sakurai and the team wanted and a colour palette swap is a pretty simple fix.

Do I expect it? Nope. But it'd be perfect.

I'm preparing for the worst as I have been doing since Melee, but hoping for the best. I've had this attitude since Brawl 4 was announced, but this time with so few iconic Nintendo characters left I really thought the mushroom man may have stood a chance. In a way having a blow like this so early on is going to mentally prepare the Toad Parade should Toad fail again to get in Smash.

(I still can't see anyone more instantly recognisable than Toad that's been left out of Smash thus far though. Not even Ridley or K. Rool are as well known/recognised on a global scale. This is just fact; even non gamers recognise Toad.)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I've given up hope. This combined with Pyrosphere is making me seriously doubt whether or not Sakurai should be in charge of this series anymore. Toad and Ridley need to be in, and it appears that neither will be.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I've given up hope. This combined with Pyrosphere is making me seriously doubt whether or not Sakurai should be in charge of this series anymore. Toad and Ridley need to be in, and it appears that neither will be.
I very much disagree with this idea. Super Smash Bros first and foremost needs a strong gameplay element. That's what Sakurai brings. Sakurai repeatedly said in interviews the he wants to get from the character based focus and focus on gameplay. The series should not be defined by the characters it adds, but the type of game it is.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I very much disagree with this idea. Super Smash Bros first and foremost needs a strong gameplay element. That's what Sakurai brings. Sakurai repeatedly said in interviews the he wants to get from the character based focus and focus on gameplay. The series should not be defined by the characters it adds, but the type of game it is.
That's nice and all but I doubt Smash would have a fourth game, let alone a second game, if it was Dragon King.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Actually, some good news on possible hope for a possible confirmation in November. Apparently, Zelda 3DS does not get released until 2014 in Japan.

If Sakurai is as Japanese-centric as he has been in the past (very Japanese-centric), he may not show Zelda in November. Keep in mind he showed Olimar in July because Pikmin 3 was released in July in Japan (and August everywhere else).

If Super Mario 3D Land is the only major Nintendo release in Japan for the month of November, there is definitely some hope for a newcomer then.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Smash is a Nintendo all stars crossover. That is it's raison d'etre. Gameplay is secondary to Nintendo representation, primarily characters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
That's nice and all but I doubt Smash would have a fourth game, let alone a second game, if it was Dragon King.
Yeah, I always scratch my head when people say "the newcomers that are added don't matter, lol".

As it stands, there is definitely less hype this time around than there was for Brawl for example.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Toad will be in (although I am not saying he is disconfirmed), but I would be pleasantly surprised to see THE Toad as a playable character and Sakurai saying "refreshed" move set to mean that he's going to change the Toad in Peach's move set to a different color (most likely blue).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am still going to wait until November or December before writing off Toad.

Even just next month is going to be incredibly interesting as to what veteran Sakurai decides to choose to confirm.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Toad won't be in enjoy your false hope
Toad won't be in enjoy your false hope
As much as I hate to give people false hope, it's best to keep an open mind on certain matters. So....

1) Toad is actually in the game but Sakurai may refresh the color palette because it's awkward as hell for him
2) (Color) Toad is in. Don't know what Nintendo's deal is with the normal colored Toad
3) He's probably gonna change some unchanged moves which are the following : Toad, forward air, dash attack, up tilt, forward air and b-throw. We don't know which one he'll change but ehhhhh
4) Toad's not in. GG

There's no way Sakurai can just develop Toad out of no where unless he's that good or that fast but I doubt it. He'll only change the palette swap if Toad is actually in the game already.

Toad isn't deconfirmed but then again, he's near that territory (Unless some miracle happens).
I'm really enjoying the false hope! Thanks everyone!!!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One thing I should point out. Sakurai's quote.

Pic of the day. Peach joins the battle! We've added 10 new pictures of her on the website, but keep in mind that the game is still in development. Her moves may be refreshed by the time the games are released.

It's interesting that he mentions that at all. Not to say Toad will or wont be in, but it is very strange that he said that. He hasn't made any similar remarks for Olimar or Luigi.

I said weeks ago in this thread, that "classic" Toad returning as a special, with Blue Toad as a playable character was a possibility.

It really makes me go "hmmm" that Sakurai has confirmed all of the Mario veterans very early on. If Sakurai wants a character to go with Super Mario 3D World, he will have no choice but to show off a newcomer, of which the most prominent potential newcomer associated with that game is Toad.

However, keep in mind we do get A Link Between Worlds that month, so we could end up getting Zelda for November instead.

This is not the first time Sakurai has shown a character in a non-playable role, yet still ended up being a playable character. ROBs were shown as enemies on the Dojo back in the last few months of 2007, yet ROB still ended up a playable fighter.

Personally, I am going to wait and see until November (or December if Super Mario 3D World's release date is December in Japan), before writing off Toad.
I think you are thinking to much into it. Afterall, Peach was shown without a game attached to her.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One thing I should point out. Sakurai's quote.

Pic of the day. Peach joins the battle! We've added 10 new pictures of her on the website, but keep in mind that the game is still in development. Her moves may be refreshed by the time the games are released.

It's interesting that he mentions that at all. Not to say Toad will or wont be in, but it is very strange that he said that. He hasn't made any similar remarks for Olimar or Luigi.

I said weeks ago in this thread, that "classic" Toad returning as a special, with Blue Toad as a playable character was a possibility.

It really makes me go "hmmm" that Sakurai has confirmed all of the Mario veterans very early on. If Sakurai wants a character to go with Super Mario 3D World, he will have no choice but to show off a newcomer, of which the most prominent potential newcomer associated with that game is Toad.

However, keep in mind we do get A Link Between Worlds that month, so we could end up getting Zelda for November instead.

This is not the first time Sakurai has shown a character in a non-playable role, yet still ended up being a playable character. ROBs were shown as enemies on the Dojo back in the last few months of 2007, yet ROB still ended up a playable fighter.

Personally, I am going to wait and see until November (or December if Super Mario 3D World's release date is December in Japan), before writing off Toad.
I think you are thinking to much into it. Afterall, Peach was shown without a game attached to her.

@everyone k then

Oh right, whoever voted for....

The first 3 toad votes - Still believes. Nothing against that. I don't want anyone dissing their hope tagging it as false whether its true or not. Just don't

Ridley is cool - Because purple is cool

But he's too big - Ridley's too big amirite?

Chocolate milk - I voted for this because I liek choclit and you should too

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If Super Mario 3D Land is the only major Nintendo release in Japan for the month of November, there is definitely some hope for a newcomer then.
Unless of course they pull a Peach and use November to celebrate another series anniversary.

Probably Falcon; looks like F-Zero was released in November originally. It's a possibility since F-Zero isn't getting a new game anytime soon. Or ever looking at the way the series is treated.

I want to remain a Toad believer(so I will; it's my choice), but just because Peach came out before 3D world unfortunately doesn't necessarily increase my biggest want's chances.

It also doesn't increase Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Geno or Waluigi's chances either which people seemed to latch onto very quickly with glee when they saw the Toad shot.

(be great if we're all proven wrong though and Toad IS in. Other than a B move I mean.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom