• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I still think that it could be possible for Toad to end up both being a special for Peach, and a playable character. I mean we could have classic Toad as Peach's special, and Blue Toad as the playable Toad.

Regardless, I think if Toad does not get in this time, he is going to be one of the strongest contenders for a newcomer for Smash 5 due to Super Mario 3D World.
I would really be disappointed if the original, 'true' Toad was only represented by another character's move, while the generic blue Toad is somehow considered worthy of playable status.
I think that would be pretty demeaning to classic Toad, who is far more important and significant to the Mario franchise...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I would really be disappointed if the original, 'true' Toad was only represented by another character's move, while the generic blue Toad is somehow considered worthy of playable status.
I think that would be pretty demeaning to classic Toad, who is far more important and significant to the Mario franchise...

Well, wait, the original playable Toad is this guy:

While the red Toad is more iconic at this point, it is important to remember that the playble Blue Toad isn't some random recent creation to balance Mario's red and Luigi's green. He's been in the game from the get go, yo.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I haven't thought much about Toad but I know a lot of people think Toad won't make it in because one pic shows Peach using toad again. However, Sakurai said this in the main photo caption:

"Her moves may be refreshed by the time the games are released."

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If this does turn out to be right and we don't get Blue Toad or Peach's move gets altered(Sakurai's comment about movesets being not finalised yet is purposely vague as per usual), I honestly, and maybe selfishly, hope NO new Mario character gets in.

The top candidates; Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Geno, Doc and Paper Mario aren't as important to the Mario series as a whole(although Bowser Jr. is important, I'd simply argue he's slightly less important to the series than Toad). It'd be like adding Rambi before K. Rool or Dixie. Or in Geno's case like adding Kalypso first.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If this does turn out to be right and we don't get Blue Toad or Peach's move gets altered(Sakurai's comment about movesets being not finalised yet is purposely vague as per usual), I honestly, and maybe selfishly, hope NO new Mario character gets in.

The top candidates; Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Geno, Doc and Paper Mario aren't as important to the Mario series as a whole(although Bowser Jr. is important, I'd simply argue he's slightly less important to the series than Toad). It'd be like adding Rambi before K. Rool or Dixie. Or in Geno's case like adding Kalypso first.
Well, to be frank, I'd rather both of them get in and they just cut Pokemon Trainer for time reasons. Y'know, just to shake up the roster.

There's hope people! Just keep your fingers crossed. I care about all of you *pats everyone*.

Possbilities:
1) Blue Toad + Same color Toad for neutral B
2) Normal Toad + Changed color Toad for B
3) Both normal Toad (B and playable)
4) Lolnope

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ouch, I think this pic confirms this thread's worst fears.

Let the straw clutching commence!

The most Iconic Toad is the one with Red spots, just like the most iconic in Pikmin is Olimar.
Pretty much that. People are just want Blue Toad cause he's the one getting all the attention. I'm open for that possibility but.... Eh.

Alright guys, just grab on something (Not THAT part) and brace yourselves

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I said weeks ago in this thread, that "classic" Toad returning as a special, with Blue Toad as a playable character was a possibility.

It really makes me go "hmmm" that Sakurai has confirmed all of the Mario veterans very early on. If Sakurai wants a character to go with Super Mario 3D World, he will have no choice but to show off a newcomer, of which the most prominent potential newcomer associated with that game is Toad.

However, keep in mind we do get A Link Between Worlds that month, so we could end up getting Zelda for November instead.

This is not the first time Sakurai has shown a character in a non-playable role, yet still ended up being a playable character. ROBs were shown as enemies on the Dojo back in the last few months of 2007, yet ROB still ended up a playable fighter.

Personally, I am going to wait and see until November (or December if Super Mario 3D World's release date is December in Japan), before writing off Toad.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still think its suspicious that Peach was confirmed back-to-back next to Luigi.

I think it would really be nice to see screenshots on the Dojo showing all four of the main classic Mario protagonists side by side in time for the release for Super Mario 3D World.

However, the main thing keeping from a Mario newcomer happening in November is that A Link Between Worlds is also released that month (a good time to confirm Zelda).

I'm also curious whether we get a Pokemon veteran (Mewtwo included) or Sonic confirmed next month. Hopefully, if Sonic does not happen in October, people won't rush to say "Sonic confirmed not to return".

October in general though is going to be a big month. Nintendo typically has their second biggest Nintendo Direct of the year (or conferences) in October.

If not October, then during the last week of September (next week).

CalumG

Smash Lord
I'm as big a Toad supporter as any, but as far as I'm concerned, Toad's chances as a playable character are dead and buried. Sure, we could have Blue Toad, but what happens when you choose a red palette swap for Blue Toad? We get Red Toad with white spots? White Toad with red spots? Saying that there's different colours of Toad doesn't really clear Toad's name, especially not in a game with numerous palette swaps.

I'm sure there are ways they could make a playable Toad, but it seems counterintuitive to me that the only difference between Peach's Toad and playable Toad would be colour scheme. If they wanted to represent Toad as a character, I firmly believe they'd remove Peach's Toad (to clear up confusion) or replace it with Toadsworth, and make the 'main' Toad palette one of the palette's available to you when playing as him. I mean, it seems obvious to us - "how could you mix up a move with a character?" - but it'd be a poor design choice to have a move that's visually identical to a character, however you look at it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
A Toad with red spots, and a red jacket.

Also, we already have had a NPC and a playable version of a character in the same game: ROB.

I very much doubt players would be confused.

As I said, let's just wait and see (at least until December or whenever the Japanese release for Super Mario 3D World happens).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I still think its suspicious that Peach was confirmed back-to-back next to Luigi.

I think it would really be nice to see screenshots on the Dojo showing all four of the main classic Mario protagonists side by side in time for the release for Super Mario 3D World.

However, the main thing keeping from a Mario newcomer happening in November is that A Link Between Worlds is also released that month (a good time to confirm Zelda).

I'm also curious whether we get a Pokemon veteran (Mewtwo included) or Sonic confirmed next month. Hopefully, if Sonic does not happen in October, people won't rush to say "Sonic confirmed not to return".

October in general though is going to be a big month. Nintendo typically has their second biggest Nintendo Direct of the year (or conferences) in October.

If not October, then during the last week of September (next week).
On top of that a weird theory came to my head but i think newcomers and one 3rd party character might be added in packages. In other words my head is thinking mewtwo and sonic and 1 other character might be confirmed on the same day in october.

But i'm not concluding this i promise

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think at the very least sakurai is considering toad (hence the comment on miiverse) and we may yet see him but there is a chance he may not make the final but (like dixie in brawl)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
i think at the very least sakurai is considering toad (hence the comment on miiverse) and we may yet see him but there is a chance he may not make the final but (like dixie in brawl)
Sakurai has said he has already decided the roster. Its really basically down to whether Toad is on his planned list, and whether Toad will be a low priority newcomer or not (hence, being susceptible to being bumped out due to time constraints).

I am personally crossing my fingers that we get a Toad confirmation due to the release of Super Mario 3D World.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Of course there's the possibility of Blue Toad still being a character, but I don't think it's very high, and I've never thought that to be honest.

I'm not a Toad supporter personally, I hate his character, but still I say keep it up! There's never any reason to give up until a definite deconfirmation! It's actually comparable to Toon Link's background appearance in the Spirit Tracks stage. He was shown before we've had a confirmation on Toon Link, and Sakurai commented in June/July that no characters had been cut yet, which means that Toon Link's background appearance doesn't mean anything concerning his chances. The very same can be said for Toad, heck, for all we know Sakurai is just trying to keep Peach's moveset intact (or maybe not considering his comment, which might just lend an even bigger chance for Toad.) What I'm getting at here is that even if I hate Toad and certainly wouldn't enjoy playing as him, his chances are not dead.

If he's in then I'm not expecting him to be announced with Super Mario 3D World, I believe Zelda will take November and Diddy Kong will take December, and I don't think newcomers will get revealed randomly on the site, in fact I don't think that we'll even see another newcomer reveal for the rest of the year, I believe it was September or nothing. As I said at the beginning of this post, I have never been a big believer in Toad's chances, I'm not even a believer in any Mario newcomers' chances, but I want to repeat that his chances haven't dived to 0%, or even 5% or 10%.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Game time: If Toad was to get in as a modified clone (eg. Ganondorf to Captain Falcon) who would it be?

My current, off the cuff thought... a slow and strong Sonic the Hedgehog, making Toad freewheeling all around. He'd bounce off a mushroom for his recovery and... the rest doesn't really make sense, but neither does Ganondorf. :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If Sakurai confirms Mewtwo next month, I would say there is a decent shot we could get a Mario newcomer in November or December.

Really, I have been hyped for October since August. Even if we don't get Mewtwo or Sonic, having ANY Pokemon veteran confirmed would be a big deal, considering there are doubters for every Pokemon veteran.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Well, wait, the original playable Toad is this guy:

While the red Toad is more iconic at this point, it is important to remember that the playble Blue Toad isn't some random recent creation to balance Mario's red and Luigi's green. He's been in the game from the get go, yo.
The Toad I talk about and the Toad you talk about are the same Toad! Blue Toad wasn't in Super Mario Bros 2 - the original, true Toad was (or as you call him, 'red toad')!
Just look at this official art for Super Mario Bros 2:

I believe that he only appears blue in game due to graphical limitations.
My point is further proven by the updated sprite found in Super Mario Advance:

See? It's the same Toad as the one I was talking about!
Therefore your argument isn't valid.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The Toad I talk about and the Toad you talk about are the same Toad! Blue Toad wasn't in Super Mario Bros 2 - the original, true Toad was (or as you call him, 'red toad')!
Just look at this official art for Super Mario Bros 2:

I believe that he only appears blue in game due to graphical limitations.
My point is further proven by the updated sprite found in Super Mario Advance:

See? It's the same Toad as the one I was talking about!
Therefore your argument isn't valid.

I think it was probably less graphical limitations and more just them wanting each character to have a different color (which I assume is the same reason the newer Mario games have a blue and yellow Toad instead of the more recognizable red Toad).

In any case, I was aware that he was remade as Red in all-stars, but I still feel pretty comfortable saying that Toad's the original playable appearance was Blue. The concept art there also shows Toad being half of Peach's height, but that's just not how he was actually depicted. None of it really matters, though-- I think we can agree that he was first shown as a Blue Toad, even if he was probably meant to represent a Red.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Ouch, I think this pic confirms this thread's worst fears.

Let the straw clutching commence!
sad days for the toad parade.

there's also that miiverse post about Peach's moveset not being final.

However, I'm tamping down my own personal expectations at the moment. I doubt we will get a Super Mario rep before the end of the year (not including Yoshi, Wario, or any DK reps).

CalumG

Smash Lord
Game time: If Toad was to get in as a modified clone (eg. Ganondorf to Captain Falcon) who would it be?

My current, off the cuff thought... a slow and strong Sonic the Hedgehog, making Toad freewheeling all around. He'd bounce off a mushroom for his recovery and... the rest doesn't really make sense, but neither does Ganondorf. :p
Well, Toad historically has been playable in games where he's had near identical moves to the Mario Brothers. So, if he was to get in as a clone (although I currently think he's not getting in at all), I'd suggest he played like Mario did in Melee with his old down-B, had new moves for his standard and side-B moves, and a few of his physical attacks were more... "clumsy" than Mario's.

So I guess a kind of clone-hybrid of Mario and Luigi, but far lighter and with new side-B and standard-B. I'd prefer Toad to be unique if he did get in (which again I find unlikely), but if he were to be a clone of anybody, it'd have to be another semi-clone of the brothers Mario, who he has the most in common with.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
It's sad. Even though it's not a complete deconfirmation, I honestly think he's dropped into 4th place now for most likely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Stop giving me false hope Chrono. I have given up on Toad, which perhaps is too bad. But am not willing to go as far as to expect Blue Toad.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I originally would have liked to see Toad in but I can accept him not getting in.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Well, I nearly exploded when I saw Peach. Here's a bit of a mock-up:

"Doo-doo doo da doo, looking through Eurobricks, better check Smashboards but it's still down, off to the Smash Bros. site!"
-Sees Peach.

-Sees Toad picture.

-Has moment of self thought: If not Toad, then... who?

-Walks off neutrally.

In all reality, I truly hope that Sakurai means we'll be seeing Toad in some form and is just taunting us right now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't expect all the Mario characters to be revealed this early either. But am not sure what to expect as of now. If Toad is playable, that's awesome. But I've already prepared myself to think he won't be in, so.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Had a feeling he'd be shown when I saw peach was up. Thought he had the highest chances of the mario reps, even though he wasn't my favorite choice... not sure who to expect now.

I also don't see blue toad being the default choice.

DPSnumber1

Smash Rookie
I still support toad after all, there are enough signs to believe that he still has a chance.
1. The earlier confirmation of all the mario veterans
2. Sakurai´s coment in Miiverse
3. The important role that the blue toad and the yellow toad have gotten recently in the mario games

But if he becomes playable , maybe Sakurai would want to surprise us, for that reason I believe he will be unlockable.

also for the people who complain about toad's red palette swap if blue toad gets in, let's see these pictures.

Obviously he is not the same toad as peach's (because of his red vest), and can be used for his red palette swap.
Also if they implement this palette swap, the playable toad wont be called blue toad, i believe he will be called Warrior Toad, Brave Toad, Risky Toad or something similar because of the role of the yellow and blue toad in the recent mario games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The problem with Blue Toad lies... He will have a red costume to, which is Classic Toad. Which is the same Toad Peach carries with her.

So...

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Changes to moveset could be something as simple as getting rid of her golf club... replacing some moves with her emotions from super princess peach ect.

Its something to grasp onto, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom