• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Toad's gay, he'll be like a crappy Pichu (at least Pichu's cute).
I think it's better to leave him as Peach's B-attack, and running around in Mushroom kingdom in adventure mode.

.......later

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Toad would be neat to have in. I'd want to see him in, but the guy would have like, Pichu range. :/

Torilla

Smash Cadet
Toad's ridiculous body proportions may give difficulties in designing moves for him, but it all requires creativity.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Off the top of my head a B move list for Toad

B - headbutt similar to rollout except a straight charge
B ^ his head inflates causing a parachut effect
B V pulls out one of the little fellows from Wario's woods each colour and style does different damage
B > throws a bomb from Wario's woods again different colour different damage

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
AHHH Toad had better be in SSBB or else Nintendo can eat it. :laugh:

Seriously, though, he'd better be there. Here's a Toad wishlist/moveset I came up with a while back:

-General-
Name: Toad
Description: Everyone's favorite mushroom is back! Ever since appearing in the original Super Mario Bros., he has almost always been there. Unfortunately, he rarely has had the limelight, save Wario's Woods, all incarnations of Super Mario Bros. 2, and the Mario Kart games. He’s through with tennis; now he can show off his strength in full force!
Debut Game/System: NPC: Super Mario Bros. - NES
Playable: Super Mario Bros. 2 (US) - NES

-Stats-
Size: 2/5
Weight: 2.5/5 (haha, it could go either way, 2 or 3)
Power: 4/5
Speed: 5/5
Jump: 1/5
Stats Note: I wanted his stats to stay true to his SMB2 roots, while also trying to keep it contemporary; thus, his size is diminished. His weight should probably be a 2, but a 3 would be more useful so he wouldn’t get smacked so far that he would die immediately due to pitiful jumps.

-Attacks-

A: Shroom Head - A noggin bump – 5-7%
A2: (see above) – 2-3%
A3: (see above) – 2-3%
AI: n/a

Dash A: Leaping Shroom – Toad leaps headfirst into the opponent. 9-14%

U Tilt: Cheer – Toad does a spinning hop with both hands up to damage; good for juggling – 10-13%
D Tilt: Toad Trip – An outstretched, crouch kick that trips the opponent – 11-14%
F Tilt: Shroom Swipe – Toad swings his head horizontally – 8-14%
U Smash: Toadflip – Toad does a backflip kick – 18-22%
(note: knockback depends on Toad’s position; feet up, knockback up, etc.)
D Smash: Toadstool Dance – Toad spins on his shroom head and breakdances – 23-26%
F Smash: Head Drill - Toad lunges with his head at the opponent in a drilling motion for four hits, the last being the strongest – 24-29% total

N Air: Toad Twirl – Toad spins in the air, arms outstretched; similar to Peach/Ness – 8-14%
U Air: Aerial Cheer – Same as Toad’s U Tilt, but in the air – 7-10%
D Air: Spore Stomp – Toad does a spiking stomp-kick while emitting spores – 9-18% kick, 2-3% if only hit with spores
F Air: Lunge Punch – Toad thrusts forward, punching with his mighty fist; similar to Jiggly’s Pound attack – 7-11%
B Air: Reverse Drill – Toad does a backwards drill kick – 8-12% total

Attacks Note: Toad has been rarely playable, so we know little of his options. Thus, we make use of what we know he has: a big shroom head! It’s all muscle, too.

-Throws-
Grab: Grab Rush – Toad reaches out with both hands to grab the opponent – 0%
Grab Attack: Shroom Head – A noggin bump – 1-2%
U Throw: Fling – Toad winds up, then flings the opponent skyward – 9-10%
D Throw: Tantrum – Toad throws a stomping tantrum on the opponent – 10-11%
F Throw: Spinning Toss – Toad spins around a few times, then launches the opponent – 10-11%
B Throw: Backwards Spin – (see above) – 9-10%

Throws Note: I was quite happy with his D Throw. =) Hate to steal Mario’s F/B Throws, but nothing else really fits.

-Specials-
B: Poison Spore - Expels spores like when Peach uses Toad as a counter, but all around Toad; gives a Poison effect to anyone who is hit by them (similar to the Lip’s Stick) – 1-3% (each spore)
Smash B: Star Throw – Toad tosses a star; similar to using the Star Rod (chargeable); aimable when fully charged – 5-12%
Down B: Turnip Toss – Toad pulls a turnip from the ground; same as Peach’s Down B, but faster; throw turnips in any direction, etc. – add 1-2% to Peach’s Down B damage; Toad pulls dot-eye turnips 2x as often, and sick turnips 1.5x as often as Peach (still rare)
Up B: Surprise! - Toad leaps out of a bag (SMB, a la Super Mario All-Stars) in an explosion of confetti; similar to Fox/Falco's Up B attack, but goes farther (since he’s lighter) – 9-13%

Specials Note: Star Throw came from the Mario Party series, since he’s in charge of the stars in the original few. Turnip Toss was Toad’s specialty in SMB2, he was the fastest, and threw those veggies the strongest. Surprise! is Toad’s only really good recovery, since his jumping sucks. It was a stretch, but one that I’m proud of.

-Bonus-

Movement: Toad runs frantically, much like you see him do at the end of Mushroom Kingdom in Adventure Mode. Kind of like Kirby, for example, but seemingly more hectic. His jumping looks similar to Ness’ style, but certainly doesn’t go as far. You can tell that Toad is struggling to get anywhere in the air.

Kirby Hat: Kirby gains Toad’s mushroom noggin. Kirby can now use Toad’s Star Throw.

Costumes:
Default – Red dots on his mushroom head, blue jacket
Others – Pink dots & jacket, Blue dots & jacket, Green dots & orange jacket, Brown dots & purple jacket (Toadsworth =P)

Trophy 1: Toad standing with a "V" victory pose
Trophy 2: Toad tossing a star into the air
Trophy 3: Toad doing a handstand-breakdance move

Taunt: Toad laughs while winking and doing the "V" victory pose

Victory 1: "I'm the best!" (Same motions as taunt)
Victory 2: (Toad holds up a star with a look of amazement)
Victory 3: "Yeah - Hahaha!" (Toad jumps for joy, similar to U Tilt)

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Toad needs a Mariokart move, and maybe when he picks he can pull out different kinds of Turnips. (No stichfaces, but he has a chance of pulling out Shyguys or Snifits)

xianfeng

Smash Hero
dotdotdot! said:
Toad needs a Mariokart move, and maybe when he picks he can pull out different kinds of Turnips. (No stichfaces, but he has a chance of pulling out Shyguys or Snifits)
he should pull out the little guys from wario's woods or the bombs from Wario's woods

Ember Joe

Smash Cadet
I think Toad's UpB recovery should be based on the MK:DD fire mushroom: he would pull one out and eat it (very quickly) before clenching fists and being engulfed in flames, then firing forward with great speed. (much like Fox/Falco with greater distance and less damage)

Perhaps the difference between this and Fox/Falcos could also come from MK:DD. Instead of charging it all the way then firing, he could do a slight charge then thrust, and pressing UpB again would thrust again (tap B up to 3x perhaps for max boost) Using them together in unison would create smaller save but the damage would rank up, allowing them all to be used at the end of the previous would minimise damage, maximise range.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I like the idea of pulling up Shyguys and Snifits...might as well throw in pumpkins, mushroom blocks and POW blocks. =)

Ixplis

Smash Rookie
What was Toadsworth's role in super mario sunshine? Wasn't he kind of Peach's guardian/mentor, or something like that? I dunno, it's been a while. If that is the case, I would imagine he'd be her neuter b, thus freeing toad for his own appearance in the game.

Falco101

Smash Journeyman
i think toad should be able to pull poison mushrooms from the ground (same chance to do it that peach has of pulling a bomb)

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Falco101 said:
i think toad should be able to pull poison mushrooms from the ground (same chance to do it that peach has of pulling a bomb)
I have never seen Peach pull out a bomb before.

Toad needs a move from Wario's Woods

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
xianfeng said:
I have never seen Peach pull out a bomb before.

Toad needs a move from Wario's Woods
Yup, it's close to the same percentage of pulling out a stitchface or a Beam saber. I main Peach, so I've seen all of those.

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
I could see him in the game....

The way I see him, he'd be rather comparible to pichu. A bouncing (vegatable) attack... quick and small...

He seems a rather likely character, if they can think of a full moveset.

-edit- Didn't he use a spear somewhere? or maybe that was one of the guards...

ßruK

Smash Apprentice
TOTALLY Agree with the Wario's Woods thingie. The only game I LOVED and had Toad as a protagonic character was that one.

Shark X

Smash Lord
I'd rather have Toad than Peach or Wario. Hell, I'd rather replace both Peach and Wario for Toad, but that would disappoint alot of Wario fans. And all the Peach fans as well, both of them XD

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Toad is my favorite video game character ever.
If/When they put him in brawl, i don't care if doc is still in it, i'm maining toad in any tourney(unless he's low tier, which isn't doubtful, lol), in which case he'll be a 2ndaryish :p

i made toad's movesets(as well as like..20 others a long time ago)

I had toad's "spore attack" similar to yours, but it was a charge-move like DK's Gianst Punch. I prefer that it would simply rack up damage like Wheezing(longer charge longer sustaintion)

turnip, downB, agreed. about the greater luck than peach though...i'll pass on that. I'd prefer instead of death turnips and items, he'd occasionally pull out a monster from Wario Woods.

as his UpB..i think he should use his charged jump from Mario 2. He glows for a second, (not moving much in midair) then shoots upward, that can slightly be influenced left/right.

and his smashB...i had thought of him maybe rolling forward into his hat as a yoshi-egg-esque move.
But i'll agree he'll need help on a 4th move, and the Star shoot isn't too bad either for making one up.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Aeris said:
-Stats-
Weight: 2.5/5 (haha, it could go either way, 2 or 3)
Power: 4/5
Speed: 5/5
Jump: 1/5
I think his stats are a little weird... Toad being as strong like Captain Falcon? O.o Really do YOU want that? Lemme try to fix it... :)

Weight: 2/5
Power: 3/5
Speed: 4/5
Jump: 2/5

I think 2 for weight is far more then enough. I think he'd be just a lil bit lighter then Pikachu.
Power was way too high, 4 is like Captain Falcon or Link. Toad isn't really a powerhouse... Infact I think if Super MArio World 2 was made in this age Toad would probarly be replaced by Wario with the same stats. Speed was a lil bit high to... He isn't that fast and in Super Mario World 2 he was the slowest of the 4 so... :p

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I dunno, I kinda like the idea of Toad being a surprisingly strong little guy. I think it would be funny if he could pick up the big items (Like the Barrel and Box) and carry them around easily, like DK could, except Mario2 style. If your scared of his strength breaking him, you could easily lower his speed (4 or 5 speed is much too high for a high strength character) or make it so that he has no recovery (Jumping was always his weakness)

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
yeah i would like toad a lot and i dont think its a good idea that no recovery thingy, bcause his jumps would b short as you sayd jumping was his weakness

magar

Banned via Administration
Y34HDUD3!!! said:
yeah i would like toad a lot and i dont think its a good idea that no recovery thingy, bcause his jumps would b short as you sayd jumping was his weakness
qft Y34HDUD3!!! ;)

nomis

Smash Journeyman
Dude, why is everyone so psyched about Toad.

You guys should pay your respects for Pacman or Little Mac. When they cough blood, you know they've been eating little children.

Whereas Toad is named after toadstool. Notice that the second half is 'stool,' which is what he is - and I'm not referring to the chair, either. Look at how lowly he is... he's a mere B-move for Peach:

But seriously, if they had to add Toad he would have a totally new look. And since I redesign characters to fit in the SSBB world (like how I did with Pacman, Sonic, and soon, Little Mac), it seemed fitting that I do one for Toad as well:

You're thinking, wait, that's not Toad... But let's look closer, shall we?

You can obviously develop a moveset with this image:
B - Run.
>B - Run faster.
^B - Beg Pac-man.
vB - Brace self.

NOTE: By the way, I'm kidding about Toad. I DO want him to be in the next SSB.

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
Toad has always been my favourite Nintendo character. But, for the love of God, don't make him a clone. I don't even see how you can begin to think he would make a good Peach clone. I can see him being light, very fast and slippery too, and almost similar in some moves to Mario.

Besides Metaknight, Toad was the character I wanted in the most. If he's in Brawl, I would be unimaginatively happy. You wouldn't even believe how happy I would be. Seriously. I'd be bouncing off the walls, into buckets of clams and whatnot.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
Toad's chance of making it are about as slim as a twig, nomis has a good point about toad being a mere b move for peach. The pac man thing is getting a little off topic though

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
They are not slim as a twig. I would have put him at a better chance than pit or Metaknight before that trailer. He's a playable character, he has a name, he has a voice, he has a fanbase, he has places to draw moves from, he's a mario character, and he is in almost every Mario party and sport game. He has great odds.

Falco101

Smash Journeyman
Gerbality said:
Toad's chance of making it are about as slim as a twig, nomis has a good point about toad being a mere b move for peach. The pac man thing is getting a little off topic though
you're dumb

Shark X

Smash Lord
Supreme Pie Ninja said:
If he's in Brawl, I would be unimaginatively happy. You wouldn't even believe how happy I would be. Seriously. I'd be bouncing off the walls, into buckets of clams and whatnot.
You mean like what I did when Meta-Knight was announced?

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
Taunt: Our princess is in another castle!

XD

Although him as a fighter does seem a little odd, it could be done. Also, he's fairly important to the mario series. I'd say he has good chances.

Top Bottom