• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tired of cocky players on FG...

puffypalutena

Smash Cadet
NNID
PuffyPalutena
3DS FC
1736-0501-7736
Every time I play in FG, I play with cocky players.... They taunt at the start or after a kill. Most of the time I would beat them. But when I mess up and lose, they taunt and proceed to leave. This makes me so mad that I proceed to play disrespectfully against the next player and taunting whenever I have the chance. I feel so guilty after that and I leave. This makes me feel so bad when playing FG!!! Please tell me I'm not the only one! >.<

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
I don't see taunting during the start of the match as being cocky. I see it as just being friendly.

Last edited:

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
That can be the case sometimes. But when they taunt every time they can, it gets aggravating.
Don't let it get to you. Just remember it's a game and you're playing to learn and have fun.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
I don't see taunting during the start of the match as being cocky. I see as just being friendly.
i taunt at the start of matches all the time. i see it as a way of saying "Good luck, have fun!"
Every time I play in FG, I play with cocky players.... They taunt at the start or after a kill. Most of the time I would beat them. But when I mess up and lose, they taunt and proceed to leave. This makes me so mad that I proceed to play disrespectfully against the next player and taunting whenever I have the chance. I feel so guilty after that and I leave. This makes me feel so bad when playing FG!!! Please tell me I'm not the only one! >.<
i feel ya. a lot of people who play for glory are very toxic. spamming taunts, going for disrespectful moves a lot, changing their name to something very mean. usually i just laugh it off and ignore it. even when people are disrepectful to me i remain as respectful as possible to show that im better than that.

Last edited:

puffypalutena

Smash Cadet
NNID
PuffyPalutena
3DS FC
1736-0501-7736
i taunt at the start of matches all the time. i see it as a way of saying "Good luck, have fun!"

i feel ya. a lot of people who play for glory are very toxic. spamming taunts, going for disrespectful moves a lot, changing their name to something very mean. usually i just laugh it off and ignore it. even when people are disrepectful to me i remain as respectful as possible to show that im better than that.

It's good you are able to have that mentality. I'm insecure so I get really upset and sad. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
No one can blame you for being annoyed over it.

Playing online gives the benefit of anonymity, so people tend to be more inclined to intentionally grief or sandbag people. Hence why so many would do it in For Glory, when they aren't face to face, and obviously/most likely won't run into you or anyone else ever again.

As said above, it's not a good idea to take things too seriously/to heart. The "glory" in For Glory isn't worth the salt.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't see taunting during the start of the match as being cocky. I see as just being friendly.
It just feels irritated whenever they taunt, if they are really a pro it is because their too good.
Don't feel guilty if you leave a game, I always leave a game when the opponent is too strong, or the online is too laggy (3DS).

I only do taunts in Friend matches of course.
It is just weird that they aren't banned, or did they?

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
if it bothers you so much...you can always join a smash skype group and play with people there. they tend to be better and very respectful. or you could play with me since im not very good and am very respectful :) lol

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
No one can blame you for being annoyed over it.

Playing online gives the benefit of anonymity, so people tend to be more inclined to intentionally grief or sandbag people. Hence why so many would do it in For Glory, when they aren't face to face, and obviously/most likely won't run into you or anyone else ever again.

As said above, it's not a good idea to take things too seriously/to heart. The "glory" in For Glory isn't worth the salt.
This is why I don't play 1 on 1 that much. Playing 4 player match or team match can prevent taunting.

Last edited:

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
if it bothers you so much...you can always join a smash skype group and play with people there. they tend to be better and very respectful. or you could play with me since im not very good and am very respectful :) lol
Or find people around here and on smash ladder. You'll find better people than when going on FG.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Or find people around here and on smash ladder. You'll find better people than when going on FG.
I noticed that on the 3DS version, if you play with some who is really far away, the input will be very laggy.

Last edited:

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
It just feels irritated whenever they taunt, if they are really a pro it is because their too good.
Don't feel guilty if you leave a game, I always leave a game when the opponent is too strong, or the online is too laggy (3DS).
I stay when I see they're better than me, because that helps me to see flaws and helps me improve faster. I'd rather lose to someone far better than me and gain more out of it than win a match with someone who doesn't know what to do and learn nothing.

I noticed that on the 3DS version, if you play with some who is really far away, the input will be very laggy.
I've noticed this as well. I usually leave after one match if that happens.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I've noticed this as well. I usually leave after one match if that happens.
I remember I had a match with a user call Falkoopa, and the match wasn't good, game input is just too laggy, it always takes a bit of time to do the move I want.
Sometimes it may be my Wifi is too slow but in some cases, real distance matters.
I stay when I see they're better than me, because that helps me to see flaws and helps me improve faster. I'd rather lose to someone far better than me and gain more out of it than win a match with someone who doesn't know what to do and learn nothing.
You don't really need to "train" yourself that long, I have quite a bad temper when losing, so I guess I need to adjust a bit.
And...no Double post please...

Last edited:

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
I remember I had a match with a user call Falkoopa, and the match wasn't good, game input is just too laggy, it always takes a bit of time to do the move I want.
Sometimes it may be my Wifi is too slow but in some cases, real distance matters.
Input lag can mess up precision, timing, and make you mess up recoveries that you'd otherwise in an offline wouldn't

You don't really need to "train" yourself that long, I have quite a bad temper when losing, so I guess I need to adjust a bit.
And...no Double post please...
I only stay as long if I have the time for it.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Why Taunting at both start and finish is cocky? Maybe they are just trying to be friendly. I, as a player who taunts at every win and loss, and also do the Crouch dance, never want to make the other player salty. Taunt is not even meant to be a annoyance. If there are people who use it to get you in tight humor, then they are doing it right. When we play with patience, we always end up winning and showing our moves to the other player.
:4ness: OH-KAAAY?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ MatrixNexus MatrixNexus be wary of double posts as they are against the Terms and Service of Smashboards. I merged your posts. Use the edit button next time you need to add information.

:227:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Input lag can mess up precision, timing, and make you mess up recoveries that you'd otherwise in an offline wouldn't

I only stay as long if I have the time for it.
True, how true...

Well, I don't play Smash too long, cuz I easily lose my temper when losing...
Why Taunting at both start and finish is cocky? Maybe they are just trying to be friendly. I, as a player who taunts at every win and loss, and also do the Crouch dance, never want to make the other player salty. Taunt is not even meant to be a annoyance. If there are people who use it to get you in tight humor, then they are doing it right. When we play with patience, we always end up winning and showing our moves to the other player.
:4ness: OH-KAAAY?
Yes, but it feels irritated, I don't taunt in 1 on 1 match.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
:4falcon:
Yes, but it feels irritated, I don't taunt in 1 on 1 match.[/quote
That's my point. Since they notice that you don't like Taunting, they will appeal to the "weak point". What I am trying to say is that, taunting is just a animation of 60fps. Don't care about their "annoyance", and keep a good feeling in any battle, a 1-on-1, Team Battle, or 8-Player Smash. You will see that taunts are little things that don't make the game any different. :4falcon: Show me your moves.
Edit: Ignore this, I've made a quite dumb mistake!

True, how true...

Well, I don't play Smash too long, cuz I easily lose my temper when losing...

Yes, but it feels irritated, I don't taunt in 1 on 1 match.
That's my point. Since they notice that you don't like Taunting, they will appeal to the "weak point". What I am trying to say is that, taunting is just a animation of 60fps. Don't care about their "annoyance", and keep a good feeling in any battle, a 1-on-1, Team Battle, or 8-Player Smash. You will see that taunts are little things that don't make the game any different. :4falcon: Show me your moves.

Solo Popo

Smash Cadet
You need to change your perspective I think. There are limited means of communication in FG. A start of the game taunt is more of a hello than insult. If you are attacking players while they are saying hello, do not expect a sportsman-like reaction.

The only time taunts frustrate me are SD taunts. If the player taunts after a kill that was just a mistake on the opponent's part, that bothers me. But that just reveals that they are desperate for kills, and probably easy to beat. Just remember that the frustrated player is the losing player a good portion of the time. If you are thinking about what's making you angry, you aren't thinking about what your opponent will do next.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Okay... I'll try...
And hello? No double posting! If you made mistakes on a post, just reedit it.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I taunt a lot and I have a win ratio higher than 90% so I guess if there are many players like you I really leave a trail of raging noobs behind.
I do rarely D/C after one match against someone though , but many of my opponents do. But I do not mind, because whether I own the same person again or own the next noob, I do not care.

I am quite cocky though (offcourse since I am the best ) and I often save my opponents by jumping after them and knocking them back on stage, spare them by using another throw than Upthrow even if I know Upthrow prolly would have killed them, and refusing to use kill moves and instead just damage racking. I like to think that all noobs who D/C against me do so becaus eI am the best. One time I actually had a noob D/C and later he got paired up against me again. He D/Ced before the match started. I guess I am getting a reputation for being the best ? Well at least he knew it. Do you? If not, let me say it to you:

MESS WITH THE BEST , GET OWNED LIKE THE REST

Last edited:

puffypalutena

Smash Cadet
NNID
PuffyPalutena
3DS FC
1736-0501-7736
You need to change your perspective I think. There are limited means of communication in FG. A start of the game taunt is more of a hello than insult. If you are attacking players while they are saying hello, do not expect a sportsman-like reaction.

The only time taunts frustrate me are SD taunts. If the player taunts after a kill that was just a mistake on the opponent's part, that bothers me. But that just reveals that they are desperate for kills, and probably easy to beat. Just remember that the frustrated player is the losing player a good portion of the time. If you are thinking about what's making you angry, you aren't thinking about what your opponent will do next.
Maybe I have mistaken those who taunt at the start. I don't interrupt them unless they taunt again after a kill.

I taunt a lot and I have a win ratio higher than 90% so I guess if there are many players like you I really leave a trail of raging noobs behind.
I do rarely D/C after one match against someone though , but many of my opponents do. But I do not mind, because whether I own the same person again or own the next noob, I do not care.

I am quite cocky though (offcourse since I am the best ) and I often save my opponents by jumping after them and knocking them back on stage, spare them by using another throw than Upthrow even if I know Upthrow prolly would have killed them, and refusing to use kill moves and instead just damage racking. I like to think that all noobs who D/C against me do so becaus eI am the best. One time I actually had a noob D/C and later he got paired up against me again. He D/Ced before the match started. I guess I am getting a reputation for being the best ? Well at least he knew it. Do you? If not, let me say it to you:

MESS WITH THE BEST , GET OWNED LIKE THE REST
Well, you are in some ways nice. (Not being sarcastic):kirby:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Maybe I have mistaken those who taunt at the start. I don't interrupt them unless they taunt again after a kill.
I taunt them back by sniping them with the laser.

Even though I start the game by mashing B and thus the laser is not because of the taunting, I would do it for the taunting too if I had the chance. I rarely hesitate to punish people while they are taunting.

Last edited:

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
NOT getting mad is something I have to work on specifically while playing online. It's noticeable that every time I start getting irritated, I lose faster. Once I take a deep breath and remind myself to be cool, I usually start winning again. It helps me to detatch myself from the game - I find that if my intention is to learn rather than to win, I'll end up winning more often.
Try it. Play a few games with the intentional mindset of NOT getting mad, and see how much better you play.

LinkHarper

Smash Rookie
Taunts annoy or me whatever, but what people on FG do to piss me off is whenever I beat whoever they were using the first time, they pull out a Dark Link or Dark Toon Link every time.

The ultimate disrespect imo..

Drippy

Smash Ace
I want to share my For Glory story since I used to hate For Glory because of spammers / taunters and overall cocky players who use cheap tactics to win and think they're good. For those reasons I refused to play For Glory and it actually made me quit Sm4sh for a few months, a little bit of a overreaction but I didn't want to play Sm4sh 3DS because I was convinced it was the crappy controller layout and I wanted to wait until I got a Wii U. Then I finally got a Wii U and Sm4sh but was still very scared to play For Glory, I didn't want another 20% win rate like I did on the 3DS, finally one day (like a month after) I decided to play For Glory and it wasn't actually that bad. A lot of it has to do with your own mindset and overall just having a thick skin (which may not apply for everyone). I've accumulated around over 150 For Glory games within like less in a week (I think 6 ~ 7 hours of play time in it overall?) which is something I never imagined myself doing because of my ladder anxiety.

As I said it has a lot to do with mindset and that day I decided to play For Glory, I just told myself, "Alright man, just remember this is a game. Just have fun." and I did exactly that. In addition that was during the time I felt like quitting the game yet again, not because of For Glory (I wasn't even playing it at the time) but because I felt like I sucked. I was stuck at a plateau as if I wasn't improving and I was very angry at myself because of that, and I realized that it was no ones else fault but my own because I refused to play on Anther's Ladder and For Glory just because of some numbers on the screen that tell me my win-rate. At that point I told myself as well to stop caring about winning or losing, and to focus on losing and fixing my mistakes / problems and trying to improve my game-play. After I did that, I just became happier overall, I was just happy because I stopped caring about these numbers and could play the game without a care in the world, and then this lead to me meeting a lot of great players as well. As soon as every game ended, I would change my tag to "Good game!" and the opponent would do the same, and if they didn't then I'd just leave unless they were really good and I felt like I had something to learn from that.

Just from a simple, "Good game!" I formed a mutual friendship with a lot of For Glory players. When I SDed, they would SD for me and I did the same in return. Additionally we felt comfortable around each other and didn't have to try so hard so we'd just pull out secondaries, random characters, do dittoes and just mess around. Also it was hilarious taunting each other because we knew we meant no harm and were just doing it for fun. Overall I'm glad I changed my mindset and now For Glory taunters don't bother me as much anymore, like believe me I still find it disrespectful to taunt after a kill / SD (it's like they're laughing in my face) and they don't bother with the good sportsmanship like doing good game in such but overall I stopped caring about taunters and just have fun with the game now. Okay actually I would be lying when I say that, I still get very mad sometimes on For Glory but it's more of at myself and not the opponent and also record doesn't absolutely mean nothing to me but that's because it's not something you can just do right away, and it takes time. Overall my mindset has improved but I'm still working on it, and it's also important to know to blame yourself and not your enemy. Sure the enemy is "spamming" but if it's working then it works, you shouldn't judge a player for using a tactic they deem reliable if they are constantly beating you with it and take it as a opportunity to learn and adapt.

Earthboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Teabag
Um, guys, what is a double post? I read the rules but I doesn't mention anything about it.... Sorry
Posting two replies to a thread in succession of each other. I guess if you had made a mistake in your first post, or wanted to add something else, you could simply edit the original post without having to create a whole new one.

Just from a simple, "Good game!" I formed a mutual friendship with a lot of For Glory players. When I SDed, they would SD for me and I did the same in return.
I find this happens a lot actually. If you change your name to 'GG' after a solid match, mutual respect is bound to happen.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
If you change your name to 'GG' after a solid match, mutual respect is bound to happen.
Not always.
e.g. 2 minutes before, a Falcon taunted when I SD'd, he later lost the match because of an SD, called me spammer, reported me and said "GG" like it meant something.

Earthboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Teabag
Not always.
e.g. 2 minutes before, a Falcon taunted when I SD'd, he later lost the match because of an SD, called me spammer, reported me and said "GG" like it meant something.
That doesn't sound nice haha, but I did specify a solid match.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Though I personally don't taunt at all unless I play as Little Mac (his side taunt at the start of a match), Shulk ("This is the Monado's power" at the start of a match and "I'm really feeling it!" after a kill), Lucina ("Come at me!" at the start of a match) and Ganondorf (his up taunt after a kill and side taunt at the start of a match), I don't have a problem with people taunting after a kill or whatever. If people are so bothered by other people taunting them that they decide to spill :shaker: on the table, that's their own fault for letting them go through their heads like that. This is suppose to be just two people having a friendly match no matter what happens and who wins or loses, not throwing unnecessary salt in your face and take the fun away as a result.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Though I personally don't taunt at all unless I play as Little Mac (his side taunt at the start of a match), Shulk ("This is the Monado's power" at the start of a match and "I'm really feeling it!" after a kill), Lucina ("Come at me!" at the start of a match) and Ganondorf (his up taunt after a kill and side taunt at the start of a match), I don't have a problem with people taunting after a kill or whatever. If people are so bothered by other people taunting them that they decide to spill :shaker: on the table, that's their own fault for letting them go through their heads like that. This is suppose to be just two people having a friendly match no matter what happens and who wins or loses, not throwing unnecessary salt in your face and take the fun away as a result.
I have no problem with people taunting at the beginning of a match and I will do the same if the opponent does it because I see it as if we're saying hello to each other and then from than on I don't really care when they taunt because I know it's just a friendly gesture. In general I know not everyone who taunts in For Glory after a kill is doing it to be mean, but as I said before, I think when the person doesn't bother to say "GG" or even something friendly like a taunt at the beginning of the match, you don't really have that mutual trust with the person and taunts just seem like a laugh in the face after they kill you or you SD or something and it can be disheartening for many people.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I have no problem with people taunting at the beginning of a match and I will do the same if the opponent does it because I see it as if we're saying hello to each other and then from than on I don't really care when they taunt because I know it's just a friendly gesture. In general I know not everyone who taunts in For Glory after a kill is doing it to be mean, but as I said before, I think when the person doesn't bother to say "GG" or even something friendly like a taunt at the beginning of the match, you don't really have that mutual trust with the person and taunts just seem like a laugh in the face after they kill you or you SD or something and it can be disheartening for many people.
There's no way of knowing if the person you're playing against is, in fact, friendly or an ass unless they changed their tags to something that says he wants to shake your hand as a sign of respect or something that slaps you across the face. Trust does, of course, play a role in **** like this especially in For Glory.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I normally start the match off by lasering them. Does that count as a greeting?

Top Bottom