• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on short hopping consistently?

MattLib

Smash Rookie
I suck at short hopping.
Does anyone have any tips on how to short hop all the time? I keep full jumping by accident
:GCX::GCY:

:foxmelee::foxmelee::foxmelee:

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Just keep in mind that a shorthop has to do with how long you hold the jump button down, and nothing more.

Just try to tap X or Y as fast as you can, regardless or what you see on screen. Some people use the X button specifically so they can slide/flick their finger off the side of the controller for Fox, but I just practiced with Y and,like most people, I can do it no problem by simply pushing the button and releasing as soon as possible.

MattLib

Smash Rookie
Just keep in mind that a shorthop has to do with how long you hold the jump button down, and nothing more.

Just try to tap X or Y as fast as you can, regardless or what you see on screen. Some people use the X button specifically so they can slide/flick their finger off the side of the controller for Fox, but I just practiced with Y and,like most people, I can do it no problem by simply pushing the button and releasing as soon as possible.
Thank you! Focusing on tapping instead of sliding really helped. Time to go practise :)

Twitchy

Smash Cadet
I try and use X exclusively for short hopping and wavedashing, and Y for full jumps. It might just be me but it really helped get a feel for when I use the different jumps. My muscle memory puts my thump to X for SHL's and to Y for jump canceling a shine into a pillar

Last edited:

LotoSage

Smash Rookie
I sort of "sting" the edge of the button by flicking or sliding it with the edge of my thumb, the same as I do for wavedashing. It seems to work well for me a good amount of the time.

Hi EPsilon933 :D
love your youtube vids
Hahaa ♥♥♥♥

Also, do white controllers use a softer plastic? Doing my technique has caused a dent in mine and on my previous purple, black, and wavebird controllers, I can't remember getting any dents under the X button

Last edited:

foxfuta

Smash Rookie
A good way to practice tech in general is to overexaggerate your movements. Not only will you develop range of motion in your thumbs, but the large movements should highlight the small inconsistencies between each attempt. Start lifting your thumb way the hell up and really slapping it down on the jump button of your choice. It's not a bad idea to think of your controller as a musical instrument. Really get into it, put your whole body into that shorthop. I feel like I'm beating on a small set of DK bongos once I start hitting my groove.

Fox was my first character in melee, so developing consistent shorthops was both a curse and a blessing. Fox shorthops require you to release your jump button extremely quickly (meaning every other character will seem easy.) My shorthops became consistent almost overnight once I started relaxing my controller grip. Instead of "holding" your controller, think about resting it upon your pinky and ring fingers (and middle fingers if you hit triggers with pointer fingers.) You want your thumbs to have huge ranges of motion, but they must be relaxed in order to remain steady across those ranges. Your muscles can't relax if you're sandwiching the controller too hard between your hands -- let gravity help. You should be able to open your palms outward and look at them like a storybook without feeling like you'll drop anything.

If you're relaxed you should be able to hit shorthops using all sorts of weird motions -- you'll need several of them, even for a single character. As a fox main I tend to flick my thumb sideways off the left/bottom part of the Y button in such a way that I can continue moving my thumb left and shine using the knuckle-joint part of my thumb, or continue moving my thumb down into a c-stick aerial (dairs and bairs.) If I need to either nair, or bair while moving in the direction of the bair, I will flick the tip of my thumb upwards off the top of the Y button and hit A with the knuckle-joint.

Top Bottom