• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for Practicing Tech?

CrabZ

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrabDragon
As a new player wanting to main Falco, I've been grinding out basic tech like WD and SHFFL. Any tips for naturally incorporating tech skill into your game other than grinding, or just any tips in general for practicing Falco?:falcomelee:

Last edited:

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
Well, if you haven't got the SHL down yet I would do that immediately. It's probably his most basic/useful tech. Once you have that I would try to do SHL while dashing and reverse SHL, both are great tools for approaching and retreating respectively. Also, this guide is amazing and has taken my falco game to the next level. I would check it out, especially the first and second volumes. http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-trials-by-hell.348188/

As for incorporating tech skill, shadowboxing and playing against level 6 or so computers (not to fight, just to practice tech against something that will react. But don't do level 9 or they will powershield everything) are both great.

Finally, tips in general: I would learn how to shorten Falco Phantasm and practice all the angles of Fire Bird.

Hope this helped!

PS: Welcome to smashboards! I see this is your first post.

CrabZ

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrabDragon
Well, if you haven't got the SHL down yet I would do that immediately. It's probably his most basic/useful tech. Once you have that I would try to do SHL while dashing and reverse SHL, both are great tools for approaching and retreating respectively. Also, this guide is amazing and has taken my falco game to the next level. I would check it out, especially the first and second volumes. http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-trials-by-hell.348188/

As for incorporating tech skill, shadowboxing and playing against level 6 or so computers (not to fight, just to practice tech against something that will react. But don't do level 9 or they will powershield everything) are both great.

Finally, tips in general: I would learn how to shorten Falco Phantasm and practice all the angles of Fire Bird.

Hope this helped!

PS: Welcome to smashboards! I see this is your first post.
Thank you so much, really appreciate it. I did forget to mention I've been working on my SHL as well as DD, but I have an easier time with those for the most part. I'll definitely take your advice and look into the guide.

Last edited:

yttik

i would recommend playing against a level 1 cpu on the 20XX pack, they will rarely hit you back and will randomly DI your attacks, it prevents a lot of bad habits that come from playing regular cpus.

as a new player, you probably won't have the best movement (movement is so important in melee and is what sets it apart from other fighting games and even other smash games with less movement options) so i would also recommend playing solo without a cpu and practicing your ledge game, wavelands and incorporating lasers into the mix. you should be able to feel "safe" on the ledge and know exactly what you need to do on autopilot to get from one part of the stage to the other as fast as possible. falco plays a good keep away game with lasers but to do it effectively you need good platform movement and how to smoothly mix up approaches on the ground etc.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Thank you so much, really appreciate it. I did forget to mention I've been working on my SHL as well as DD, but I have an easier time with those for the most part. I'll definitely take your advice and look into the guide.
I know that you may feel comfortable with DDing and SHLs, but I promise you that you're almost definitely not as good as you think. Standing, running, and retreating SHLs at almost every height nearly upon command should be your standard for those. Understanding DDing conceptually is something I'm still working on, but getting close to.

Top Bottom