• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for keeping confident?

silkys

Smash Cadet
Lately I haven't really been confident in my game. Haven't really been doing well against my training buddies and it's been rubbing off in my play. I can't seem to keep my head in the game sometimes. Any tips for me or others to help get over these feelings and stay focused?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
"Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death." ~ Uesugi Kenshin (1530-1578)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's hard to stay confident in something if you're not actually good at it. I know that sounds kinda mean, but hear me out, all it takes it patience with improving and accepting the fact that right now, you're not at that level. Just stick to it and try not to get frustrated, confidence comes from actually having faith In your ability, which you can't really develop if you're not very good.

Just keep working hard and you'll reach your goals

Soupy

Sage of Wind
What you need to realize is that it's just a game and the people playing it are ultimately just doing so to have fun/pass the time. Smash wasn't made to get stressed out/depressed over!

If you want to get better, set up some practice time for yourself. Lab some combos and things like that with your character and come out swingin' the next time you play your friends! You'll be surprised at how much practicing by yourself can do.

Also, if it comes down to it, talk it out with your friends. Maybe you all can find a different game to play whenever you're not feeling Smash. Personally, I do that with my friend whenever we play EVOLVE. We cool down with something like FORCED or Ibb and Obb because he gets frustrated easily.

FaptastiCamel

Banned via Warnings
NNID
FaptastiCamel
3DS FC
4098-4885-5057
pick up diddy kong, it'll be the best decision you will have ever made

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
pick up diddy kong, it'll be the best decision you will have ever made
This is an obvious first of course.

Next, do things that give you fullfillment and make you feel proud of yourself. Up to you to decide what that is. Also, don't asociate with assholes too much.

Derpiology

Smash Cadet
NNID
Derpiology
3DS FC
4742-6421-0146
Just play for fun, then you don't even need confidence!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Remember that the likes of Mew2King, Mango, and Dabuz got their a**es handed to them before they got better. As the saying goes, "practice makes perfect".

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There's an old saying: "Fall down seven times, get up eight."

Everything is subject to improvement over time, no matter how small or insignificant those improvements may seem at the time. This is true of any discipline or activity, be it vidya, tennis, reading or writing.

I am always shocked to look back at my previous excursions into any activity I partake in, because I marvel at just how far I've come and how much I've improved. I can look back at poetry I wrote a year ago and remark on how much my use of language and syntax has been refined since then, and I am always excited by how much better I can become in future.

It's not an easy process to improve, and confidence will only come if you believe that you're deserving of it. Thing with confidence is, it's all in your head: if you don't feel like you're improving or that you're absurdly outmatched from the get-go, you'll get discouraged and psyche yourself out. So as you train, be critical of your performance and understand exactly what needs to be worked on. Simultaneously, focus on areas where you have noticeably performed better, and let that inspire you to train harder and get better results.

The satisfaction you get at doing a job well and realising your improvements is a wonderful feeling, and if you bear in mind that you can and always will improve, your confidence will start to improve with it. Just do your best and always strive to be better. When you start to think that you're getting better and you can play at a higher level than before, your confidence will follow suit, and you'll be able to do even better next time for sure!

Top Bottom