• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Timing for a tech online?

King9191

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing teching a lot. I side tilt Falcon in training, grab the ledge, and drop off the ledge right when the hitbox on his Up-B comes out. I tech the knockback perfectly. Did the same thing with Ness to adjust to delayed knockback and stuff like that.

So when a Falcon command grabs me just under the ledge in For Glory, I was fully prepared. I lean forward in my seat, wait for the knockback, time it perfectly... and I go flying into the abyss.

Before anyone says I just didn't time it right, my timing was perfect. I did a little experiment and found that there was a miniscule amount of lag, which I had not noticed before at all.

So... is there a specific timing for teching online and there's almost unnoticeable lag? 10, 15, 20 frames early?

derpcube

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion teching in smash 4 is the hardest due to lag, there has been hundreds of times where I lose matches due to missing my tech in lag.
Lag can't really be controlled and is random so luck will help you tech online.

King9191

Smash Rookie
Thanks. I just can't wait to get into the tournament scene. Then there will be no delay, obviously, and I can tech with ease if I expect an attempted stage spike.

D

Deleted member 269706

Just do your best when playing online...Generally it's not too far off from offline play as long as the lag isn't too much, but still challenging nonetheless, especially at higher percentages. Maybe you just messed up that time. Keep with it, but don't rely on it, especially when playing online.

King9191

Smash Rookie
I attempted techs an eighth of a second earlier than I normally would when I was playing today, and I never missed one of them. I even got it after getting hit by Mario's multi-hit Up-B under the ledge.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I'm uncertain of the amount of lag in FG and have distance from my opponent, I tap the R button to see how much it delays. Over multiple matches with opponents from various regions, I've found the lag to be (usually) somewhere from 15-35 frames. Anything more than 20 feels noticeable without testing it.

Top Bottom