• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I had this idea, What if robin would be able to read the rosters of the fighters he's fighting like snake's codec calls?
Interesting idea. I can imagine something like that happening in a trailer...

After the smash logo fades, the screen shows a hooded figure in the shadows, watching Link and Ike fight it out on the Arena Ferox stage. The figure then looks at the two rosters listing various stats in their hands. The stranger smiles, eyes hidden beneath their cowl. "Hmph...Let's see how they handle this." There's a sound of a sword being unsheathed and the cackling of electricity fills the air. Sparks begin to gather in the person's palm, lighting up their face for the briefest of seconds. Brown eyes narrow calculatingly and then they fire their attack into the melee. Link and Ike scatter, stunned as the hooded figure steps into the light. When the stranger finally moves after a long pause, they remove their hood, revealing a familiar white haired tactician. A woman. The song Purpose begins to play.

Robin fires in!

Then there's a bunch of gameplay with Robin, showing her various taunts and attacks with her weapons in hand. Male Robin also makes a brief appearance. At one point she hits the Smash Ball. Then you see Robin fall to her knees on the battlefield, a dark aura cloaking her. She stands, eyes now red as the dragon Grima forms into the background, and attacks with dark magic at the other characters on the stage. The dragon breathes its horrible breath down onto the victims, racking up a decent amount of damage. As the battlefield erupts into Chaos, Grima! Robin faces the screen, a smile on her face as she fires thunder magic at it. Then the screen fades to black.

andimidna

Smash Master
I support.
I'm almost sure Chrom is in, and I've lost a lot of hope in having 4 FE characters.
But Robin is just so much better.
If I could have made the FE roster... I'd have made it Marth, Robin, Anna, Tiki
I guess I'll have to settle for the 3 lords though. Oh well. I'd like to be put on the support list.
And wow, last time I was here was April 18th, and there have been almost 60 pages since then.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I support.
I'm almost sure Chrom is in, and I've lost a lot of hope in having 4 FE characters.
But Robin is just so much better.
If I could have made the FE roster... I'd have made it Marth, Robin, Anna, Tiki
I guess I'll have to settle for the 3 lords though. Oh well. I'd like to be put on the support list.
And wow, last time I was here was April 18th, and there have been almost 60 pages since then.
That roster would be perfect. Shame it's not happening.

Espio264

Smash Ace
My thoughts on a Fire Emblem Robin are almost the exact opposite of my thoughts on a Batman Robin.

In Batman, a girl Robin is gimmicky and unnecessary. She becomes the "trying too hard" part of an otherwise amazing story. *Cough* *Cough* *Dark Knight Returns* *Cough*

But in Fire Emblem, a girl Robin makes it awesome. You better believe that if she/he makes it in Smash as playable, Girl Robin is the only option. Cute, little, white haired, cloaked badass sorcerer knight.

Same goes for Man fit trainer. Won't be seeing much of him on my tv.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Hope will never die, guys. Something could still happen. Sal's source might've only heard a character from Awakening was in and assumed it was Chrom. Maybe Chrom and Robin are both in.

And if they are making character DLC, and they do decide to make them newcomers...Robin would still be the best choice for a Fire Emblem character. As a character with an inherently unique playstyle that represents aspects of the series its other reps don't cover, and comes from a massively popular game, I'd really be scratching my head if they went with anyone else.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Again, I apologize for not being active in this thread anymore. >~< No, I don't at all care about the Gematsu leak, so it's not like I have lost hope.

This is sort of off-topic, but I thought I'd share this anyway. I went to the Best Buy Smash Fest thing in Winnipeg last Wednesday. Someone behind me in the line shouted "ROBIN!" at me and I acknowledged them, but there was no way I was going to walk out of line or shout back since I had been there for half an hour with another hour to go.

Well, not sure if you will read this, but from one tactician to another, thank you for being so bold to recognize me and call me out, and thanks for supporting our hero.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
You were cosplaying?

That's pretty damn awesome. There wasn't anyone in costume at the Best Buy I went to.

IronFish

Smash Ace
You were cosplaying?

That's pretty damn awesome. There wasn't anyone in costume at the Best Buy I went to.
There was a little kid in a Luigi outfit in Lynwood... Did you (Hong) get any pictures of yourself cosplaying?
Edit: never mind

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
You were cosplaying?

Nah. But I did post in the meet and greet threads both here and reddit with my visual likeness.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Several people in line at the Best Buy I went to voiced their disappointment that Chrom was the most likely Fire Emblem newcomer for SSB4. They wanted to see either Robin or Lucina be chosen instead.

Hearing stuff like that warmed my heart./sincerity

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
You know, Sakurai said at the round table that some characters are still being discussed.

I think that bodes better for Lucina than Robin, however. if they wanted to replace Chrom with Lucina, the character balance, ideas, and moveset could remain the same. For the most part it would be only visual work that would have to change. Robin however is something they would have had to change their mind on ages ago.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
But I don't think Lucina would show up in any other form than as Masked Marth for an alternate Marth costume, since her very existence in the story is a spoiler for a game that's barely been out a year for most of the world. Not knocking her, though, she's a fan favorite for a reason.

I wonder if by some fluke, Robin is one of these characters "still being discussed"? Maybe since Awakening had only been out a few months, Sakurai and the devs decided to go with Chrom at first in order to use the most well known character for a game with a small sample size of success. Now that Awakening has become a smash hit, could they be considering switching him with the other main character, who would still be recognized due to Awakening's success and would have the unique niche they'd struggle to give Chrom or Lucina?

I hope I'm not reaching out of confirmation bias. Not always easy to realize you're doing that, you know? More realistically, these characters "still being considered" could be preliminary DLC talk.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
You know, as the days go by, I'm actually having more and more confidence that Robin will straight up be a playable character from the jump and we don't have to pray to the DLC Gods to get what we want.

Call me crazy.

Hong

The Strongest
But I don't think Lucina would show up in any other form than as Masked Marth for an alternate Marth costume, since her very existence in the story is a spoiler for a game that's barely been out a year for most of the world. Not knocking her, though, she's a fan favorite for a reason.
I think the spoilers are irrelevant, especially the most of the world part, given that Little Mac is the first time a bone has been thrown to international fans, where as someone like Lucas was completely exclusive to a region.

Melee was revealed precisely 3 years after Ocarina of Time, but Sheik and Zelda were revealed together in the summer of 2001. I don't think having Lucina, a character who is unmasked in... chapter 6 was it? is really a big deal, as it will be over 2 years since the game has been out in Japan. What is more is Lucina is one of the first characters conceived for Awakening, back in the days where they had considered having her as the star of the game back when it was going to take place on MARS! Granted, Chrom would have been carrying the Awakening banner around the same time Smash 4 began development.

If I were to partition the chances for the Awakening trio in 3, I would say 20/30/50 for Robin/Lucina/Chrom respectively. I would say if Intelligent Systems asked for their favourite character to show up again, they would ask for Lucina, and Robin would be chosen if Lucina were rejected due to lack of diverse appeal.

Just my feelings on it, anyway.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I find the "spoiler" argument rather irrelevant. Awakening was my first FE game and without any sort of spoiler it was pretty obvious from Lucina's first masked appearance that she was a woman. It of course wasn't completely clear that she was Chrom's daughter beyond their similar appearances but removing the mask and putting her in smash isn't really going to spoil that. The game has also been out for a fair length of time and as Hong pointed out they "spoiled" Zelda/Sheik with melee.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Robin is one of my favorite Awakening characters, so I definitely hope s/he gets in. (Lucina is my most wanted newcomer, but Robin is fine as well!)

...Nah would be great too, but the possibility of it happening is like -100/10. :c

Hong

The Strongest
Robin is one of my favorite Awakening characters, so I definitely hope s/he gets in. (Lucina is my most wanted newcomer, but Robin is fine as well!)

...Nah would be great too, but the possibility of it happening is like -100/10. :c
Believe. ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

At least a 2/10, come on. T~T

IronFish

Smash Ace
If its any consolation, if Chrom DOES end up getting in, he most likely will be a clone of Marth (at least a Luigi/Lucas) and be one of the first cuts come Smash 5.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
If its any consolation, if Chrom DOES end up getting in, he most likely will be a clone of Marth (at least a Luigi/Lucas) and be one of the first cuts come Smash 5.
Which gives more reason Robin is simply a better choice, they are more timeless/unique. Chrom CAN be made with a somewhat unique moveset but he is still cut from the same cloth.

Hong

The Strongest
I doubt it. Don't know why people think Chrom would be at all clonish when even a dunce like me can think of a myriad of fresh movesets and fighting styles.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Which gives more reason Robin is simply a better choice, they are more timeless/unique. Chrom CAN be made with a somewhat unique moveset but he is still cut from the same cloth.
I agree! Robin definitely seems to have a lot more options than Chrom.

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
I find the "spoiler" argument rather irrelevant. Awakening was my first FE game and without any sort of spoiler it was pretty obvious from Lucina's first masked appearance that she was a woman. It of course wasn't completely clear that she was Chrom's daughter beyond their similar appearances but removing the mask and putting her in smash isn't really going to spoil that. The game has also been out for a fair length of time and as Hong pointed out they "spoiled" Zelda/Sheik with melee.
And as a more recent example, the Palutena outright spoilt part of the second act of Kid Icarus Uprising and it's been barely 2 years. And this is outright, not mere inferences that could be made from a characters appearance, so Lucina still has a chance~

But on topic, I fully support Robin (also Lucina). After FEs popularity rise in the west as well, I feel like a third rep would be a great idea. Sure Chrom is the more obvious choice but c'mon, we already have 2 blue haired, sword wielding lords. At least try and show that FE has more than swords in it (Hell, giving Chrom a lance weilding attack if he HAD to be in would be nice)

Might be spoilt after getting Palutena but hey, more magic users would be great. So I'm definately pro Robin!

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I wonder if by some fluke, Robin is one of these characters "still being discussed"? Maybe since Awakening had only been out a few months, Sakurai and the devs decided to go with Chrom at first in order to use the most well known character for a game with a small sample size of success. Now that Awakening has become a smash hit, could they be considering switching him with the other main character, who would still be recognized due to Awakening's success and would have the unique niche they'd struggle to give Chrom or Lucina?
I want to make an addendum to this.

According to the Gematsu leak, Chrom is likely to be revealed as a "secret" character. If we have no more newcomers, he'd be amongst the last three kept under wraps. Brawl had four newcomers they attempted to keep hidden until the release (although Lucario got leaked), and there was backlash about there being so few and of two of them being half-clones of existing characters. The developers for SSB4 have to be aware of this.

So then...why keep Chrom a secret? Not only could they run into the same issues as they did with Toon Link and Wolf, a majority of the fans practically expected Chrom to be in; he wasn't even questioned until Ike was revealed! He wouldn't be much of a "secret" at all! They'd have been better off revealing Chrom earlier, then having Ike with his updated design be one of the hidden ones!

Unless...Chrom was a placeholder.

While Awakening was selling like crazy in Japan for the few months around the start of development, they didn't want to assume it'd be popular worldwide. So they put the most recognizable character for non-FE fans on the roster for the time being, and made working on him lower priority to see how Awakening sold outside of Japan. If it didn't sell well, Chrom could still work as a character because of his recognition, even though there'd be less variety between him, Marth, and Ike.

But if it did sell...they could decide to replace Chrom with another character from Awakening that'd have a more unique moveset--which is still a priority for them, if they picked out Greninja when most of the Kalosmons were still being conceptualized--and would still have recognition because of how popular Awakening had become. They could debate potentially scrapping Chrom for this other character without losing much progress, and still have time to get the character ready in time for release.

If there really are characters still being discussed...we may be in business.

Also, holy crap, we overtook the Shulk and Isaac threads. o_O

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
My issue with Chrom is that he'd be so similar to Ike. He even has Aether in game. Robin would be a much fresher concept.

Support

Hong

The Strongest
If Chrom is not revealed, it will probably be because they were deliberately trickling out newcomers as a publicity strategy to keep people talking about Smash Bros. But if that is the case, why Little Mac and not Chrom? Contrary to what some may think on SmashBoards, he was not actually a hotly anticipated newcomer at all.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Let's hunt for the K.rool and Ridley threads next!

I kinda wonder how they could handle Robins colour skins. You can customize him/her in Awakening so I wonder if they will give him/her diffrent hair moddels or something like that instead of just the recolours.

Hong

The Strongest
Let's hunt for the K.rool and Ridley threads next!

I kinda wonder how they could handle Robins colour skins. You can customize him/her in Awakening so I wonder if they will give him/her diffrent hair moddels or something like that instead of just the recolours.
Yeah, basically. Will be handled just like the Villager, sans the different outfit patterns (just colour and gender).

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Think? More like KNOW.
Would? It WILL be.

The scales shall be tipped!

Is the this the poster for some bizarre Awakening musical?

Watch, live, as your favorite Awakening characters dance and sing to such instant classics as, "I don't want to slay Dragons, I want to dance!" and "Down, jazz hands!"

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
It shuts down all other support groups. Represents the motto, includes Robin, and it's a giffffffff

We win.

Would be nice to include in the OP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom