• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Okay, just so we can get this out of the way. Just say him/her to your preference. I will say "him" because I played as a male character. You are not offending anyone by saying the opposite gender that someone else doesn't prefer.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Dark Tomes in Fire Emblem tend to be where all the special effects go. Fire may be consistent, Thunder may be powerful, Wind may be accurate anti-air, but Dark (at least in Awakening, and I do believe the GBA series does this as well) give each ranked spell a different purpose like leeching life, maximum crit chance, 2-hit attack, siege tome, etc... but the lowest and highest ranked dark magic spells usually tend to do more base damage than even Thunder spells.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah I personally don't think that will be the case for his dark tome spells in Smash. Unless they spent THAT much time on him, and I doubt one character has more priority than the other development-wise. Who knows though, anything's possible. His dark tome grab, at least, doesn't seem to be healing him.

Folt

Smash Ace
Ah, gotcha. Yeah I personally don't think that will be the case for his dark tome spells in Smash. Unless they spent THAT much time on him, and I doubt one character has more priority than the other development-wise. Who knows though, anything's possible. His dark tome grab, at least, doesn't seem to be healing him.
I really don't think any attack outside of Nosferatu will heal Robin since Nosferatu is FE's answer to the Drain spell and other healing comes through fortresses, items, or staves, neither of which I've seen him use.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
My hope for Levin Sword is that, rather than a strong/slow start theory, it's more of a cycle. You start with Bronze Sword and the 4 tomes, and when you exhaust a tome (by jabbing/using specials), you discard it (as shown in the video). Upon discarding a tome, press that tome's input again to regenerate the tome (or it will automatically regenerate). Additionally, exhausting a tome will cause your Bronze Sword to turn into the Levin Sword until it is exhausted. Exhausting a tome while Levin Sword is equipped would put the sword back to full durability.

Tristan_win

Not dead.

Having more moves involving the Dark Tome just keeps the possibilities endless with this character.
Does anyone else find it strange how female Robin sword is glowing like crazy? Maybe one of Tome's could be used to buff your sword strikes.

Last edited:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else find it strange how female Robin sword is glowing like crazy? Maybe one of Tome's could be used to buff your sword strikes.
I noticed that too but didn't have any ideas behind it. That buffing up idea would support @ F Folt 's Ideas

Dark Tomes in Fire Emblem tend to be where all the special effects go. Fire may be consistent, Thunder may be powerful, Wind may be accurate anti-air, but Dark (at least in Awakening, and I do believe the GBA series does this as well) give each ranked spell a different purpose like leeching life, maximum crit chance, 2-hit attack, siege tome, etc... but the lowest and highest ranked dark magic spells usually tend to do more base damage than even Thunder spells.
I don't seem this as extremely likely, it's probably just glowing because she is going to start a spell or something. But this kind of buff mechanic would be super cool.

Last edited:

Chepish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chepish
3DS FC
2638-0438-3598
I just found out about Hated you from hello - Downplay, and with all the things that happened today, I was reading the lyrics and imagining the story about Chrom and Robin... I'm just laughing too hard!!!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You have easily the best avatar of them all by far, IMO.

Aww, shucks... I thought it was really cute and figured that it would go well with my easy-going nature. I was planning on keeping it for about a week before reverting back to Charizard, but now I'll keep it for a little while longer.

Anyways, on-topic mode: Am I the only person who noticed that Robin seems to be quite short in this game? If you looked at the original game and compared the models' heights with the other characters, they seemed to be about the same height as the other men and women. But here, male!Robin is actually shorter than Marth and Ike, and female!Robin seems to be quite shorter than Lucina. If Robin is at the same height in both genders, then this could mean that Lucina is actually taller than male!Robin!

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
My hope for Levin Sword is that, rather than a strong/slow start theory, it's more of a cycle. You start with Bronze Sword and the 4 tomes, and when you exhaust a tome (by jabbing/using specials), you discard it (as shown in the video). Upon discarding a tome, press that tome's input again to regenerate the tome (or it will automatically regenerate). Additionally, exhausting a tome will cause your Bronze Sword to turn into the Levin Sword until it is exhausted. Exhausting a tome while Levin Sword is equipped would put the sword back to full durability.
I think that's way too complicated to be honest haha. Nothing against it and I'm not saying it's wrong, but I just think he can switch between "tome attack mode" to "Levin Sword attack mode".

When in Levin Sword mode, you still have the tomes, but you can't use their spells. Instead, the tomes are more of a prop, and each attack using the Levin Sword is themed accordingly to one of the four tomes, so you don't necessarily have to "switch" out tomes, you just attack normally as if you have a sword. Like for example, a side B attack would be the dark tome-Levin Sword slash he used on Fox, and the up B would be an air tome-Levin Sword attack. I think that's simpler than the idea of micromanaging tomes.

The scene where he throws the tome away could just be that you have to release a tome before you pick up an item. /shrug/ Just speculating. The thing is, during gameplay, even with the Levin Sword, he's never shown without his tomes.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
So has anyone compared Chrom in the screenshot gallery to Chrom from the "leak" a few months back with a screenshot of him.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I think that's way too complicated to be honest haha. Nothing against it and I'm not saying it's wrong, but I just think he can switch between "tome attack mode" to "Levin Sword attack mode".

When in Levin Sword mode, you still have the tomes, but you can't use their spells. Instead, the tomes are more of a prop, and each attack using the Levin Sword is themed accordingly to one of the four tomes, so you don't necessarily have to "switch" out tomes, you just attack normally as if you have a sword. Like for example, a side B attack would be the dark tome-Levin Sword slash he used on Fox, and the up B would be an air tome-Levin Sword attack. I think that's simpler than the idea of micromanaging tomes.

The scene where he throws the tome away could just be that you have to release a tome before you pick up an item. /shrug/ Just speculating. The thing is, during gameplay, even with the Levin Sword, he's never shown without his tomes.
As much as I would love having to micromanage tomes in the way I suggested, I would love being able to freely switch between sword mode and tome mode, but for once I don't think Sakurai is trying to trick us with the tome throw-away scene.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I'll share my conclusions and guesses. I read the first 3 pages of the topic, forgive me if I've missed somthing.

---What I think is for sure...

-Each time a Special move is cast, the tome on Robin's hand changes and will remain in his/her hand until a new Special move is used or the tome is depleted.

-Jab changes depending of the tome Robin is holding. It can be seen against CFalcon and Kirby. With Falcon, Robin uses Elfire tome to do a 3 jab combo. But with Kirby he uses (after the second jab that can be seen clearly here) a jab combo with a jab finisher at the end.

-Neutral B is a chargeable lightning tome that "evolves" the more you charge it and can be stored like Samus's Charge shot of WFT's Sun Salutation. You can see Female Robin cast Arcfire then a stored Arcthunder at the trailer.

-Arcfire is side B. It traps like Ness' PK Fire and got a downward angle... Could be very good to edgeguard.

-Elwind is Up B. Cannot be DAir because it could be easily spammed to stall off stage (at first I thought that Robin got height because he landed Elwind on Little Mac, but watching it at slowmo seems like he is send upwards before Elwind hits Mac, so yeah must be Up B).

-Nosferatu is Down B, looks like a grab or a move you can keep doing if you hold the button. Maybe you can DI out of it like Charizard's Flamethrower.

-Robin should be able to recover his/her tomes. 2 options I can think off: After you get KOed or after time.

---Things that could be...

-Maybe the tomes don't have the same durability. If Nosferatu's healing is kind of good, then it should deplete faster. Thunder and it's "evolutions" should be more durable... Assuming that charging the move will deplete the tome faster than casting uncharged Thunders.

-Tomes could be discarded. In the vid Robin discards a tome, BUT I think is more possible that he just depleted it after casting it's last Thunder (and on the vid we only got his tome disposal animation).

-As he says, he got his Levin Sword because the tome's use is limited. So I think, as has being said, that if you use a "tomeless" move you'll gain access to Levin, not only replacing the move but the Bronce Sword as well. Possibly Robin will drop Levin if he/she gets KOed.

Well, thats all I got by now ;)

M@v

Subarashii!
For those asking about the 2 Swords, here's some background on them and how they work in Fire Emblem Awakening, NOT SMASH:

The Zig Zag one is the Levin Sword. In Awakening, the wielder doesn't physically attack the opponent with it. Instead, it boosts your attack based on that units magic level, and they attack by calling a thunder bolt down on the opponent by raising the sword. It was also one of the few swords that could attack a target more than one space away. So it was a really good weapon to use with people who could wield both swords and tomes or staves. Robin is one of those characters in the game (which is likely why they picked that sword). Someone like Anna (An FE character who can use both swords and staves [healing magic]) is another good choice, and its who I equip it to in my playthroughs.

The other sword is the Bronze Sword, and that's simply the entry level sword in the game. Weakest stats; but it has the most uses before it expires (It has 50 uses before it breaks, compared to the 30 or 20 of most other swords).

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Here is Derrick Bidner's Analysis. He brings up some stuff I didn't think of before. Like how that Elwind he used on the ground could be his Up-B when on ground.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
For those asking about the 2 Swords, here's some background on them and how they work in Fire Emblem Awakening, NOT SMASH:

The Zig Zag one is the Levin Sword. In Awakening, the wielder doesn't physically attack the opponent with it. Instead, it boosts your attack based on that units magic level, and they attack by calling a thunder bolt down on the opponent by raising the sword. It was also one of the few swords that could attack a target more than one space away. So it was a really good weapon to use with people who could wield both swords and tomes or staves. Robin is one of those characters in the game (which is likely why they picked that sword). Someone like Anna (An FE character who can use both swords and staves [healing magic]) is another good choice, and its who I equip it to in my playthroughs.

The other sword is the Bronze Sword, and that's simply the entry level sword in the game. Weakest stats; but it has the most uses before it expires (It has 50 uses before it breaks, compared to the 30 or 20 of most other swords).
Actually, @ Hokori Hokori could we put a brief explanation of this and FE durability in the first post for people who are unfamiliar with FE?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727

Here is Derrick Bidner's Analysis. He brings up some stuff I didn't think of before. Like how that Elwind he used on the ground could be his Up-B when on ground.
Ooo, I love nerding out with Gamexplain. Gotta watch this soon. Though I thought it was obvious that he started levitating in that scene with Little Mac.. First!

Just kidding.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice

I don't think Robin will have to discard a special move in order to pick up and item. He has telekinesis for that ;D

-Arcfire is side B. It traps like Ness' PK Fire and got a downward angle... Could be very good to edgeguard.
could be it only gains an angle when used in the air, very similar to ness's pkf, and as a ness main I can assure you I've never used pkf as an edgegaurding move bc it traps then in the same location and allows them to recover again., plus very hard to aim.

Hong

The Strongest
So has anyone compared Chrom in the screenshot gallery to Chrom from the "leak" a few months back with a screenshot of him.
I don't know how to tell you this, but Chrom is in a lot of "leaked" images.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I don't think Robin will have to discard a special move in order to pick up and item. He has telekinesis for that ;D
True.. That would be pretty awesome actually. Very Mewtwo-like. In that sense I definitely don't understand why he's able to let go of a tome unless it's a taunt. Clearly he doesn't have to switch tomes to perform different elemental attacks.. so.. Gahhhd we need some official descriptions soon! Head hurts.

Hong

The Strongest
Anyone find it strange how we haven't woken up yet?

Does that mean that this was all real?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
*Looks at current mains list. Throws out Greninja/WFT*

Sorry, I just found one of my new mains.

Anyone else want a hooded alt though? I'd love one, since the Robin in this game doesn't look like my gigantic blonde mohawk scarred face/green buzzcut Robin. It was be a fair compromise to envision my true Robin more.

Little nitpick though, I'm ecstatic Robin is in over Chrom.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Actually, @ Hokori Hokori could we put a brief explanation of this and FE durability in the first post for people who are unfamiliar with FE?
I'll include his post in a general background portion. I'll also be throwing in Derrick Bidner's Analysis in the OP as well.

Give me a while.

True.. That would be pretty awesome actually. Very Mewtwo-like. In that sense I definitely don't understand why he's able to let go of a tome unless it's a taunt. Clearly he doesn't have to switch tomes to perform different elemental attacks.. so.. Gahhhd we need some official descriptions soon! Head hurts.
Don't fret! Newcomers tend to get some love within the days after their reveal. I'm expecting major clarification on how Robin's mechanics work in the next couple of days.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I'll include his post in a general background portion. I'll also be throwing in Derrick Bidner's Analysis in the OP as well.

Give me a while.

Don't fret! Newcomers tend to get some love within the days after their reveal. I'm expecting major clarification on how Robin's mechanics work in the next couple of days.
Sure! Take your time! I really appreciate that you're maintaining this thread. Thank you!

I definitely can't wait for the clarifications.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Gonna drop a few thoughts here too..

-If Nosferatu's healing effect is based on damage dealt like in FE and the move doesn't deal much damage to begin with, it would likely be balanced by Stale Move Negation. Miniscule damage = miniscule/no healing effect. (Assuming that you doubt the move will be balanced in the first place haha.)

-I know we're mostly talking about individual moves and not Robin's overall style, but has anyone considered just how godlike Robin's edgeguarding abilities seem? Disjoint via sword and at least three different projctiles (which are fired in different directions to cover all bases). Honestly if Robin is able to float (that's a pretty big "if" IMO) he'd have an edgeguarding trifecta that very well could put even the Villager to shame.

-Storable Thoron plz

Last edited:

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
At 1:21 in the trailer look at Robin's book when he is charging the symbol on the book changes. This could indicate the different levels of his spells. Though the last symbol shown is also the same symbol of when he uses Thron later in the trailer maybe to indicate that it is ready to use.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice

-If Nosferatu's healing effect is based on damage dealt like in FE and the move doesn't deal much damage to begin with, it would likely be balanced by Stale Move Negation. Miniscule damage = miniscule/no healing effect. (Assuming that you doubt the move will be balanced in the first place haha.)

-I know we're mostly talking about individual moves and not Robin's overall style, but has any considered just how godlike Robin's edgeguarding abilities seem? Disjoint via sword and at least three different projctiles (which are fired in different directions to cover all bases). Honestly if Robin is able to float (that's a pretty big "if" IMO) he'd have an edgeguarding trifecta that very well could put even the Villager to shame.

-Storable Thoron plz
Pretty sure Thoron is storable just like all the others seem to be.

Hokori

Great King of Evil

-I know we're mostly talking about individual moves and not Robin's overall style, but has any considered just how godlike Robin's edgeguarding abilities seem? Disjoint via sword and at least three different projctiles (which are fired in different directions to cover all bases). Honestly if Robin is able to float (that's a pretty big "if" IMO) he'd have an edgeguarding trifecta that very well could put even the Villager to shame.

-Storable Thoron plz
I'll consider editing the thread title to feature initial impressions (includes Robin's possible pros/cons).

I also wish we got to see more aerials to speculate more on how Robin will fare in the air and how the moves could potentially serve as OoS options.

Robin seems like s/he'd fare well in neutral and solid ground game overall.

D

Deleted member

Anyone find it strange how we haven't woken up yet?

Does that mean that this was all real?
"Pic of the Day. You all thought I revealed Robin and Lucina in yesterday's trailer and that Chrom is a part of Robin's Final Smash. Well, Surprise! Chrom is the one that's actually playable! When he fights he simply takes control of Robin and Lucina's bodies from afar!"

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
"Pic of the Day. You all thought I revealed Robin and Lucina in yesterday's trailer and that Chrom is a part of Robin's Final Smash. Well, Surprise! Chrom is the one that's actually playable! When he fights he simply takes control of Robin and Lucina's bodies from afar!"
Chromémon Trainer confirmed

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
For the male Robin, they could give him Validar's outfit,
since they're related
it would make a lot of sense.

Also they could give him Henry and Tharja's outfits for male/female dark mage (which I think would look amazing!)

And finally because he's so bad-ass, why not the dread fighter outfit? Since this class can also use swords and tomes :)

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Could be it only gains an angle when used in the air, very similar to ness's pkf, and as a ness main I can assure you I've never used pkf as an edgegaurding move bc it traps then in the same location and allows them to recover again., plus very hard to aim.
In the trailer, Robin uses Elfire on ground against Sheik and on air against Bowser. Same trayectory on ground and on air. The angle is different from Ness' PK Fire. It seems like a 220º (left)/340º (right) degrees (It travels more forward than downward). Elfire seems to trap Bowser and rise him in the air with each hit... I think Robin could follow up Elfires off stage with a Thunder/Elthunder/etc.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
This is so wrong, but i still have hope for Shulk, anyway #TacticianTuesday approaching :troll:
original.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Id just like to say you guys are all doing a good job. Also shoutouts to @ Hokori Hokori for putting this much work in the OP, it's awesome.

Robin to me seems to generally be a mid range character to me, not excelling at long or melee combat, but able to do both well. His mid screen control however looks very very good.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Well guys...it happened. Robin was confirmed, despite the odds, and I couldn't be happier. That reveal trailer was wicked. I've lost track of the number of times I've watched it. lol I'm so very happy right now. :love:

Top Bottom