• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I corrected my post I stated that the Elwind/Arcwind could very well be his aerial down-b as it seems as if his specials are his tomes.
Could be, but I doubt it. Fits better as a dair, imo.

Watch at around 2:42 and you can see the special animation Robin has for switching between tomes.
I saw it, but I believe the tombs switch automatically when a different imput is put in. Here, that's here using her thunder charge and having to press the b button twice.
As for the swords I agree that she'll break the Levin Sword (which she spawns with) and afterwards will take out the Bronze Sword, which will not break (because Bronze Swords last forever in Awakening) while also dealing lower damage, this cycle repeating upon her being KOed.
I think that's the safest bet. Hopefully it doesn't break that easily, though. That would cause a lot of problems.

Nosferatu wouldn't make that much sense as a down throw because for that clip you can see Robin doing the grab and then the Nosferatu damage, and earlier in the trailer you can see what is Robin's normal grab animation (when he B-Throws Diddy Kong) where he grabs with his Sword hand. I attribute this difference in grab animation to the fact that the Nosferatu thing is a command grab, perhaps each element will have its own unique command grab characteristics with this move?
Thank you. I missed that.

I doubt each element has its own command grab characteristics. I suspect it's like Mewtwo's confusion in that it grabs and holds the opponent in place while doing damage.[/quote][/quote]

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Honestly I think it depends on if you can store the magic attacks.
Which I bet you would be able to unless it's like Little Mac's neutral B.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
@Hokori Got some more gifs for the thread. Working on Taunts, Fire spells and Final Smash.

Jab Combo

Down Tilt

Up tilt (?)

Thunder

El Thunder

Thoron

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@Hokori Got some more gifs for the thread. Working on Taunts, Fire spells and Final Smash.

Jab Combo
[/collpse]
Down Tilt

Up tilr

Thunder

El Thunder

Thoron

I feel that what you have marked as a U-Tilt may just be the neutral combo variation Robin has with the wind tome, considering that he does a Sword strike and then transitions into the Wind Slashes. I feel that the wind functions as an "infinite" neutral combo akin to Fox's/Sheik's and that the final slash slightly above Robin is the "finisher" that infinites have now (it also makes sense because Robin stands with the tome open as the wind slashes and then crosses his arms and closes the tome as if to say that the infinite is ending/he is knocking them away).

Just trying to clear up confusion.

Random Spoiler Glitch is random, :glare: sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chepish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chepish
3DS FC
2638-0438-3598
Okay, I just saw the video over and over and here are my conclusions.

First, let's go to the ending of the video which fRobin starts with a wind tome, then uses Arcfire, and right before the atack there are flames that surround Robin. Then she uses Arcthunder, and again, right before the atack there are sparks that surround her.

In the middle of the video, when mRobin starts the sequence of Thunder, Elthunder, Arcthunder and Thoron with a thunder tome, there are no sparks before the atacks at all.

So I think, we can rapidly change between tomes, and I really think this is done by neutral B, and while every magic atacks we have seen so far are foward B, and the wind slices we have seen are actually down B. Plus I think, if we run out of tomes (if we stick with only one magic and don't change it) Robin will perform the animation which he throws away the tome, and it looks completly vunerable and highly punishible.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'm feeling a whole lot of things right now, so while I start to really comprehend what just happened in the last few hours, I think I'll just paste something I said elsewhere:

Wow, I'm late to the party.

Even though it seemed really likely that Shulk was getting revealed, I still got hyped despite my best judgment. I still had trouble sleeping (also because my neck got bad, but yeah >_>), holding on to some thread of hope that something would finally go our way. I even took my time getting out of bed and turning my computer on, afraid of what I might see.

My first reaction was before the video even loaded. I moused over it on the SSB4 homepage, saw the name, and went "...Wait." Then the video's still shot loaded, unmistakeably Robin. I said "...No way."

Then it started playing, Robin descended to Lucina's aid, and he said "It's going to be all right."

I started cheering so loud the rest of my family wondered what the hell was going on.

And now, after all this discussing and speculating and fighting off the Gematsu zealots, we've been vindicated. After the leak hanging ominously overhead all the character threads but a select few, it is once and for all proven to not be the final word, just as we'd all been thinking. And who better to dispel it with than the character who surmounted fate and impossible odds over and over again?

It's finally happened. The scales have been tipped!

D

Deleted member

I must say, I'm pretty damn hyped for Robin. I recently beat Awakening (my second favorite 3DS game) and I am currently replaying it; the timing couldn't have been so perfect to be honest. I also like their interesting Tome mechanic where they can use them for a limited amount of times; I hope that there can be some strategy involved with using these.

The trailer just makes me smile. From Robin coming out saying "Time to tip the scales!" to seeing Chrom lie on the ground while everyone else beats the crap out of each other.

It's just... strange. I guess I didn't realize how much I wanted them until yesterday. I dunno if I'll main them, though.

Oh! But they better fix up their's and Lucina's facial expressions. They look pretty awful in my opinion...
I'm just upset that I was unable to join in on the fun until very late yesterday...

D

Deleted member

I saw it, but I believe the tombs switch automatically when a different imput is put in. Here, that's here using her thunder charge and having to press the b button twice.

I think that's the safest bet. Hopefully it doesn't break that easily, though. That would cause a lot of problems.

Thank you. I missed that.

I doubt each element has its own command grab characteristics. I suspect it's like Mewtwo's confusion in that it grabs and holds the opponent in place while doing damage.
[/quote][/quote]
Perhaps each element has the same animation with different damage characteristics?

Nosferatu heals Robin, Fire does something else, etc.

Morbi

Scavenger
I must say, I'm pretty damn hyped for Robin. I recently beat Awakening (my second favorite 3DS game) and I am currently replaying it; the timing couldn't have been so perfect to be honest. I also like their interesting Tome mechanic where they can use them for a limited amount of times; I hope that there can be some strategy involved with using these.

The trailer just makes me smile. From Robin coming out saying "Time to tip the scales!" to seeing Chrom lie on the ground while everyone else beats the crap out of each other.

It's just... strange. I guess I didn't realize how much I wanted them until yesterday. I dunno if I'll main them, though.

Oh! But they better fix up their's and Lucina's facial expressions. They look pretty awful in my opinion...
I'm just upset that I was unable to join in on the fun until very late yesterday...
Honestly, after Palutena, Robin's model is a god-send. Of course, that is just my opinion. But I was impressed for the most part.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Actually, I think Robin's normals change depending on what tome is equipped.
That's an interesting concept. If I'm right and the tomes change fluidly without the use of a specific move (since all the specials are taken), then you would have to use certain moves to perform certain attacks.
Honestly I think it depends on if you can store the magic attacks.
Which I bet you would be able to unless it's like Little Mac's neutral B.
Possible, definitely.
Okay, I just saw the video over and over and here are my conclusions.

First, let's go to the ending of the video which fRobin starts with a wind tome, then uses Arcfire, and right before the atack there are flames that surround Robin. Then she uses Arcthunder, and again, right before the atack there are sparks that surround her.

In the middle of the video, when mRobin starts the sequence of Thunder, Elthunder, Arcthunder and Thoron with a thunder tome, there are no sparks before the atacks at all.

So I think, we can rapidly change between tomes, and I really think this is done by neutral B, and while every magic atacks we have seen so far are foward B, and the wind slices we have seen are actually down B. Plus I think, if we run out of tomes (if we stick with only one magic and don't change it) Robin will perform the animation which he throws away the tome, and it looks completly vunerable and highly punishible.
I don't think they'd put that much work into Robin. That, and we already have a possible moveset with no overlaps without a changing move.

Perhaps each element has the same animation with different damage characteristics?

Nosferatu heals Robin, Fire does something else, etc.
I'm just not convinced that you can switch between tomes and elements. The special moves fit perfectly without a changing move.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I feel that what you have marked as a U-Tilt may just be the neutral combo variation Robin has with the wind tome, considering that he does a Sword strike and then transitions into the Wind Slashes. I feel that the wind functions as an "infinite" neutral combo akin to Fox's/Sheik's and that the final slash slightly above Robin is the "finisher" that infinites have now (it also makes sense because Robin stands with the tome open as the wind slashes and then crosses her arms and closes the tome as if to say that the infinite is ending/he is knocking them away).

Also Arc Thunder is listed as El Thunder.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Oh, I am quite aware you and I have something in common for having a semblance of critical thinking to know the leak is fraudulent.

That is enough reason to celebrate Robin, the champion of character speculation. :)
I never really had my doubts that the leak was fraudulent, there were far too many inconsistencies.

But I'm here now and VERY VERY happy. I hope to get an S-Rank Support with all you future Robin mains. <33

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
tl;dr, Robin is Platinum.

So you folks better learn the ropes on how to adapt to the tools provided for you, because you'll hardly have control what you'll get next.
Good thing I main Platinum (yay Platinum).

I'm thinking that Elwind is his Up+B. The upward momentum he gains from it is just too great for it to be anything else, in my opinion. I don't think it's a jump as it lacks the double jump animation beneath him.

I have no idea how the Levin Sword works. Halp.

I can't exactly tell, but it looks like the symbol on the book when he tosses it away is different from the symbol on the book when he casts Thoron, can anyone confirm this or tell me I need (better) glasses?

I'm hoping that his normals differ slightly based on which tome he last used, that would be amazing.

I'm guessing that his tomes are sort of like PT's exhaustion mechanic, but that it refreshes with each life. When one tome runs out, you get the Levin Sword to replace that special (like some others have commented).

I think his thunder tomes are his neutral B, and thunder is the only tome which charges. We see him use thunder (and only thunder) twice in a row, which implies that his thunder tome holds a charge (like Samus), and it can then be used to cast a more powerful thunder spell. If Sakurai follows the mechanic all the way through, I would imagine that each level of thunder uses up a different amount of durability on the tome (thunder: 1; elthunder: 2; arcthunder: 3; Thoron: 4).

Arcthunder appears to have properties similar to ZSS's Paralyzer.

Morbi

Scavenger
I never really had my doubts that the leak was fraudulent, there were far too many inconsistencies.

But I'm here now and VERY VERY happy. I hope to get an S-Rank Support with all you future Robin mains. <33
You can only S-Rank with one person. Choose wisely. As you are a tactician, you can choose between pretty much anyone that is not already S-Ranked to another.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I feel that what you have marked as a U-Tilt may just be the neutral combo variation Robin has with the wind tome, considering that he does a Sword strike and then transitions into the Wind Slashes. I feel that the wind functions as an "infinite" neutral combo akin to Fox's/Sheik's and that the final slash slightly above Robin is the "finisher" that infinites have now (it also makes sense because Robin stands with the tome open as the wind slashes and then crosses her arms and closes the tome as if to say that the infinite is ending/he is knocking them away).

If she had a different jab combo for all 4 of her tombs, that might be a little... to much diversity? As the tomb she has out seems to just be based on the last tomb she used. Don't get me wrong I think that would be awesome, but I don't think we will get so lucky. I think its much more likely what he has labeled as up-tilt is forward-tilt, forward smash, or as he said, uptilt, and some of Robin's special moves just also use different tombs.

That said, there isnt really a way to know for now.... So we will just have to wait and see.

Hong

The Strongest
I admire your dedication for those who are trying to decipher what the **** that just was in the trailer.

As for me? I'm not even going to try. Hopefully this week we'll get some information on any of the three fighters shown today. :)
You can only S-Rank with one person. Choose wisely. As you are a tactician, you can choose between pretty much anyone that is not already S-Ranked to another.
Then I must be breaking the rules because I've made an S support with practically everyone here.

All these Morgans...

Morbi

Scavenger
I admire your dedication for those who are trying to decipher what the **** that just was in the trailer.

As for me? I'm not even going to try. Hopefully this week we'll get some information on any of the three fighters shown today. :)
Then I must be breaking the rules because I've made an S support with practically everyone here.

All these Morgans...
You are not alone, I am going to wait for Sakurai to spoon feed me the information.

Have we S-Ranked without my consent?! :4robinf:

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya

All these Morgans...
You still haven't paid me my 600G child support. Morgan is growing up to be a fine young Tactician and I can't feed that hungry mouth all by myself.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Dont know if this was mentioned yet, but I got this theory on how Robin's tomes will work.

My guess is Robin will have a special that summons the books to allow him to use spell based attacks, and that he can toss the books like a generic item when ever he wants. I think this because during the trailer, when he threw the book behind him, it made the same generic item dropped sound effect. It would also make sense, since hes wielding two weapons, he'd need one that he could drop when ever in order to pick up regular items, like the beam sword or something.

D

Deleted member

I would go for an S-Support with @ Hong Hong but he/she's (I still don't know) already decided to make Morgans with @Drakonis :c

@ Hong Hong Senpai why don't you love meeeeeeeeeeeeee????????? :sadeyes:

Since I guess we're incompatible...

@ False Sense False Sense WILL BE MINE.

or @ Pacack Pacack

I don't know yet.

I CAN'T DECIDE.

Where's Hubba when you need him...

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Did no one else notice how his aerial Elwind gives him a jump boost?

MrThatkidalex24

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrThatKidAlex24
The way I see it
Standard Special: Change Book
Side Special: Fire/Thunder
Side Special Barely Charged: Elfire/thunder
Side Special Charged Even More: Arcfire/thunder
Side Special fully charged: Thoron
up Special: Elwind (can be used multiple times in the air)
Down Special: Nosferatu
Standard A attack: Levin sword
Final Smash: Robin and Chrom

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Dont know if this was mentioned yet, but I got this theory on how Robin's tomes will work.

My guess is Robin will have a special that summons the books to allow him to use spell based attacks, and that he can toss the books like a generic item when ever he wants. I think this because during the trailer, when he threw the book behind him, it made the same generic item dropped sound effect. It would also make sense, since hes wielding two weapons, he'd need one that he could drop when ever in order to pick up regular items, like the beam sword or something.
The question then is how he grabs while holding the book? which it does appear happens in the trailer. You are definatly right about the noise though... maybe throwing away the book is one of his taunts? (similar to kirby...) And the book is just magically whatever color with whatever cover it should be for the spell you are casting. Once used up "reload" with one of your taunts. (just more ideas)

D

Deleted member

@ Moon Monkey Moon Monkey would it be possible for you to make a GIF of the supposed Tome Switch move that Robin does at around 2:42 (after rolling to the left) in the trailer?

Thank you in advance. :colorful:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
These are awesome @ Moon Monkey Moon Monkey - did you do Nosferatu yet? :)
Yeah check the OP @Hokori should have in there with the first batch of gifs.
Forward Smash

El Fire

Arc Fire

Final Smash (Quality is a bit ugly had to compress to be a reasonable file size)

Taunt

Taunt 2

Taunt 3

That should be everything

Morbi

Scavenger
Now I HAVE to finish awakening. Any recommendations for pairings?
I would highly recommend pairing Robin with someone.
Wait, what?

So, I've unfortunately been busy most of the day. Can someone catch me up on anything that's been going on around here regarding Robin and how AMAZING he/she is?
Robin happened... nothing else really. Did you want something else to happen? We got these, if that counts: :4robinm::4robinf:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Oh, one more thing I wanted to point out is that it looks like Robin has a pretty good grab range. Grab hype.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Yeah check the OP @Hokori should have in there with the first batch of gifs.
Forward Smash

El Fire

Arc Fire

Final Smash (Quality is a bit ugly had to compress to be a reasonable file size)

Taunt

Taunt 2

Taunt 3

That should be everything
So much beautiful gif making!, one thing though, what you have listed as el fire is arc fire (or at least thats whats said when she casts it in the trailer)

Top Bottom