• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I thought Pac Man was hard to figure out. Then I met Robin. Seriously, this guy has so many theories and options surrounding him.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
It seems only his Thunder moves ( presumably neut b )
I don't see any stronger version of his ( presumed side b ) archfire move

If somebody else see's it please show. A chargeable PKF would make me main this character.

Charges can probably be stored similar to samus' and lucario's Neut b

It would make sense if the color of the tome would only change when you used a different move. For example the tome would be yellow using his ( presumed ) neut b but during his animation for his ( presumed ) side b it would turn red.

EDIT: I do support the idea of his jab ( and maybe some other normals like smash ) being different based on the tome he has currently equipped. ( presumably the last spell he used )
He has a stronger fire move at the end when all four FE characters are shown, also the fire attacks have been seen in multiple sizes

Also changing whenever is better, it allows more more mixups in approach

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
WFT and Villager seems to only have one Amiibo each wich i would okey with.

But it would be wrong to only have 1 Robin Amiibo.

Still awesome tho

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Oh god......

Lucina can be your daughter and your lover depending on your gender....

Does anyone else find that extremely unsettling? That's why It didn't even cross my mind to marry Lucina in my game....because that's weird and I'm like her uncle.....

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Looking back at the trailer I wonder if the stronger versions of spells are based on how long you charge an attack.

Thunder is cast practically instantly while with Thoron you see Robin charging an ability briefly before it displays the attack. This can add HUGE diversity to Robin's ability pool a long with the different tomes which is still unclear how they work. I personally presume it is like Olimar's pikmin where they rotate between the tomes in a set order when you run out (short cast to grab a new one) so you have to plan accordingly.

I could not have asked for anything better from Sakurai.

EDIT: Still have no idea how the Levin sword versus bronze sword change works.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I'm just glad I never gave up hope on four Fire Emblem characters that weren't Chrom. I got my wish, and am now willing to buy this game, even if Pac and Mii are in it.

While I did find it improbable. (I actually changed my roster last min to have Micaiah, Ike, and Marth only) I'm glad I never gave in to Gematsu and Female Robin and Lucina are playable.

Last edited:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
He has a stronger fire move at the end when all four FE characters are shown, also the fire attacks have been seen in multiple sizes

Also changing whenever is better, it allows more more mixups in approach
I guess I'll have to rewatch and look for that specifically, thanks.

EDIT: I've rewatched and all the arcfire moves seem to be the same size, the one at the end is just earlier in the animation than we've seen. I do believe they are all the same move and it is unchargeable

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't really care amiibos, so whatevis. Though it would be unfair for Female Robin to not get her own figurine.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
I still find myself smiling for no reason after this reeveal.

Seriously, it feels good to be on the winning team for a change. I really wanted a new FE rep. In the end I got two, and one of them is the favorite.

Today os a good day, not only for us, but for everyone, today we won two new characters to play with.

I would be happy if Chrom joined as well, but the situation he was was deversing.

Not that Chrom don't deserve to be in the game, but Gematsu placed him a position that, there, in the floor, defeated, he gave us a stronger message that he would ever give : Take everything with a grain of salt.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
One thing we can conclude here is... Sakurai doesnt give a f&*k about balance
I agree!

Just look at Lucina!!!! Her attacks look way to fast and powerful to be considered balanced in Smash! Look at those disjointed hitboxes..... She's going to be so broken. What the hell was Sakurai thinking??
Hm, I don't know. That's jumping the gun a bit. I mean, we really won't know until we play them, right? We barely saw what Robin's capable of, let alone Lucina. Let's not jump to conclusions.

D

Deleted member

You make very good points. Also, thank you for clearing that up at the beginning.

I just noticed something. The female Robin used Arc Thunder inastantly. It doesn't appear that she charged it up at all. What do you make of this?
As @ PlateProp PlateProp said, I think that each tome will hold an individual charge as you switch between them.

I think charges may be stored individually for each book, because of the way arcthunder and arcfire were used in such close sucession.

Or, perhaps charging will charge all 3 tomes, and you can use each "charge" subsequently as you switch between them (I feel the Arcfire at 2:40 may have been charged but am unsure), but this idea seems a bit broken, tbh.

A good theory, however...

She seems to switch to quickly to just be a mapped move to switch specials, IMO. I just see that as impossible considering all the other past moves that have switched move sets.

:kirbymelee:Had to excecute a full taunt in order to regain his neutB

:zeldamelee:&:sheikmelee: have considerable lag on their transformations

:pt:Had lots of lag switching in between pokemon.

:samus2::zerosuitsamus: had to break a smash ball in order to switch between.

the point being the ability to switch between move sets that quickly seems very unlikely as it would be hard to punish and very easy to switch up your attacks to confuse your opponents.
Well, if not a specific move, what else could it be? If you watch at 2:42, she does a specific animation and there is a flash of light as the tome switches, so it is highly unlikely that this could be anything but a specific (probably special) move.

Also, with the exception of Kirby, all of those transformations took place between completely different characters, and as we all know such full-character transformations have been eliminated for this game, so those are irrelevant.

On that note, Kirby needs to execute a taunt, yes, but that taunt really doesn't last that long. While this Tome-Switch move seems even faster than that, I feel like it will be balanced in the final game so that it is punishable in some way.

If you watch Robin execute these charged moves, they seem to carry some very long ending lag, especially as the charge increases. So the move could be balanced such that it doesn't take long to cycle through the tomes but the tome attacks themselves are fairly punishable.

In thinking about it again, at 2:42 when Robin switches to the Thunder tome, it seems that she executes Arcthunder immediately after switching tomes, so it is possible that the Tome Switch is a part of her N-B, since she doesn't revert to an idle stance before using the attack. But of course, some special input will likely be used to switch tomes so the player doesn't switch tomes before they want/need to. It is possible that Robin will immediately attack with the tome she switches to, but her N-B characteristics have yet to be seen in full.

I remind you all that we are all just speculating, and that my or anyone else's thoughts may be completely wrong.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I've wanted Robin FOREVER! I just didn't show up here because I thought he/she didn't have a chance because of gematsu, and thinking about it just made me depressed becuase Robin is SO much better than Chrom. Now that gematsu is dead and Robin is in, I've come to celebrate!

Hong

The Strongest
Guys

They said it

"Time to tip the scales!"

TWICE!

Who do you think it is? Robin♀ sounds like Wendee Lee, while Robin♂ may not be the same VA... Could be Grant George?

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I am just going to post what I stated in the general Robin thread... (since this thread is more appropriate)
Apologies for the re-post in advanced.

Looking back at the trailer I wonder if the stronger versions of spells are based on how long you charge an attack.

Thunder is cast practically instantly while with Thoron you see Robin charging an ability briefly before it displays the attack. This can add HUGE diversity to Robin's ability pool a long with the different tomes which is still unclear how they work. I personally presume it is like Olimar's pikmin where they rotate between the tomes in a set order when you run out (short cast to grab a new one) so you have to plan accordingly.

I could not have asked for anything better from Sakurai.

EDIT: Still have no idea how the Levin sword versus bronze sword change works.

Nvm, the end with Robin (F) shows two different types of magic being cast one after the other. /shrug

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Oh and with all the hype I almost forgot to do this:

Note: Because I said we might have more than one FE newcomer and one of them being Robin. Not meant as Chrom supporter hate, that kind of behavior is just mean and uncalled for. Leak supporters however... :4robinm:

EDIT: @ Hong Hong I'm not sure, but the "Time to tip the scales!" didn't sound very off to me, while the voice itself did a little.
Might have been the intonations and the fact that Robin never had many voiced lines in Awakening though.

Last edited:

Chepish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chepish
3DS FC
2638-0438-3598
Oh, and looks like now I don't have any doubt of which amiibo I'll be getting. hahaha

kylexv

Smash Master
Nice to see Robin confirmed. Wanted a FE rep that WASNT a blue-haired swordsman (or woman :4lucina:)

My reaction:

Trailer starts
First second: CHROM
A few seconds later: Wait, LUCINA!?!
A few more seconds later: YES! About time we see Captain Falcon!
The segment before Robin: "I WANNA SEE AN HD FALCON PUNCH NAO" and "Wait, does that mean Gematsu's DEAD?!"
Robin shows up: Oh look, it's the Tactician! Gematsu really IS DEAD!
Intro screen for Robin appears: Oh, he's called Robin.
Gameplay: Was to blind from the hype to comprehend anything except Robin is a magic user and Lucina is a sword user
Chrom segment: Wait, WHAT? 5 FE reps is too much, so must be an alt of Lucina.
Female Robin: Oh look, another female alt.

I later find out Chrom is part of Robin's final smash. GEMATSU IS DEAD.

SAKURAI, THE ULTIMATE DESTROYER OF LEAKS, SAVES THE DAY YET AGAIN!

I need my Ridley.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
they seem to be going a different rout with Robin as far as artwork, so we may get an amiibo with both Robins on it.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Hm, I don't know. That's jumping the gun a bit. I mean, we really won't know until we play them, right? We barely saw what Robin's capable of, let alone Lucina. Let's not jump to conclusions.
Was my post not blatantly satirical enough?

Everything we've seen of her moveset is pulled directly from Marths. I was being sarcastic. Of course we can't know if a character is overpowered or not yet.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Moveset Idea V.2:
Robin is a ranged fighter that has traps. For close range he uses a Levin Sword that hurts enemies with lightning magic. His close game is good, but not as good as Marth or Ike's. You are better off peppering your enemy with far range attacks.

Note: Because the English language is so dumb, I'm going to use male pronouns.

Stats:

Weight: 96
Falling Speed: 1.45
Air Speed: 0.9588
Dashing Speed: 1.553
Walking Speed: 1.2

Normals:
Jab: Robin swings his L-Sword at a downward angle. (4%)
Jab Combo: Robin does a horizontal swing now filled with lightning magic. (6%)
F-Tilt: Robin stabs his sword forward then twists it dealing electric damage. (4%, 4%)
D-Tilt: Robin does a horizontal slash close to the ground. (5%)
U-Tilt: Robin swings his sword overhead. (4%)

Smashs:
F-Smash: Robin does a big horizontal swing that deals electric damage from his Levin Sword. (5%, 3 x 2%)
U-Smash: Robin stabs multiple times upwards dealing electric damage. (4 x 3%)
D-Smash: Robin concentrates and the Levin Sword creates a small shockwave around him. (13%)

Aerials:
Nair: Robin swings his Levin Sword around him dealing electric damage. (3 x 3%)
Fair: Robin creates a small fireball in his palm and pushes his hand forward. (9%)
Dair: Robin extends his arm downwards and creates a small blast of electricity. (5 x 3%)
Bair: Robin swings his elbow backwards dealing frost damage. (12%)
Uair: Robin reaches upwards and causes a small blast of wind that cuts enemies. (6 x 2%)

Grabs:
Pummel: Robin shocks the enemy. (2%)
F-Throw: Robin blasts the enemy forward with wind. (11%)
B-Throw: Robin kicks the enemy backwards. (8%)
U-Throw: Robin sends the enemy flying with a fire blast. (14%)
D-Throw: Robin stomps on the enemy dealing frost damage. (3 x 4%)

Taunts:

Up-Taunt: Robin looks at his tome and says, "Time to start building up some experience!"

Side-Taunt: Robin thinks while putting his hand on his chin, then moves his arm away. "Hmm, Predictable." or "Stay Calm."

Down-Taunt: Robin creates a small fire ball that explodes. "Here's how it's done!"

Specials:
Neutral Special: Bolganone

Robin places a spell seal in front of him. Whenever an enemy gets close to this, it will explode. Robin can create up to 3 of these at a time, and their lifespans are infinite. However the earliest one will explode if you try and make a 4th marker. (16% on Explode)

Side Special: Thoron
Robin fires a beam of lightning from his hand. This goes full screen and travels though targets and walls. It damages the enemy multiple times with electricity. However it can be blocked and doesn't have high knockback. It has a small lag at the start of it, about a bit shorter than the lag of Falcon Punch. This is to prevent spamming. (4 x 3%)

Down Special: Counter

Kind of like a tradition, all Fire Emblem characters must have counter as their down special. However Robin's counter is unique. When you counter, you force the enemy back with a gust of wind. This damages them and sends them a good distance away from you. However the damage is very weak. (4%)

Up Special: Forseti
Robin sends a tunnel of wind magic downwards that is very cold. This sends Robin upwards, and deals minimal damage to enemies under him. However it is a pseudo Meteor Smash because the cold wind sends the enemy downwards pretty fast. (7 x 1%)

Final Smash: Rally

Robin says his signature catchphrase, "Time to Tip the Scales!" and calls in Frederick, Lissa, and Tharja. Frederick rides around on his horse while stabbing enemies with his lance. Tharja fires Dark Magic at the enemies. While Lissa heals you to 0%. This effect lasts for around 10 seconds, until everyone leaves and Robin says "That's Strategy!"
I'm surprised on how close I got it. From the Levin Sword to the Final Smash calling in somebody. Just never thought it would be Chrom!

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
Welp. I suppose it's time to replay FE:A for the fourth time.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
Guys

They said it

TWICE!

Who do you think it is? Robin♀ sounds like Wendee Lee, while Robin♂ may not be the same VA... Could be Grant George?
According to the Fire Emblem Wiki, both Avatars have the same voice actors. Male Robin will be voiced by David Vincent and Female Robin will be voiced by Michelle Ruff.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
I'll definitely be picking up a Robin Amiibo to take advantage of the sweet NFC features, but I too reeeeaaaally hope they have both Robins available. Just wouldn't feel quite as right carrying around a Robin M figure, attractive though he may be.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I do believe we've basically figured his spells out. I think the Levin sword will have to be explained more by sakurai as we see no footage of him 'switching' between the levin and broze swords.
So the Levin Sword, in the part where he was striking at Fox, as someone mentioned already has both electric and dark effects in the form of purple/black electricity as he's holding a dark magic tome. Maybe if he switches to the Levin Sword, he can't use ranged magic, but he can still use the tomes to influence the secondary magical effect that the Levin Sword has (as in lighting + dark, lighting + fire, lightning + air, etc.) Perhaps the Levin Sword is his "melee mode" that he can enter.

Was my post not blatantly satirical enough?

Everything we've seen of her moveset is pulled directly from Marths. I was being sarcastic. Of course we can't know if a character is overpowered or not yet.
Nope, sarcasm is hard to translate over the interwebs.

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Guys

They said it

TWICE!

Yeah male Robin sounded a little off to me but I'm not entirely sure of it.

Also where are those Gifs/Pics you said you were going to post? xD I was ready for a good laugh.

EDIT: Both are original VAs apparently.

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
The Soulless One makes a good point, Thoron does seem to have huge ending lag, presumably that magic telecenetic sword spinning thing that happens right after. Hopefully the longer end lag means that the charging time is lower. Plus it does seem pretty clear to me that at least the thunder moves (n-b?) can store a charge (To be clear, I mean like samus's n-b, I am not talking about whatever kind of... tomb braking after use thing is going on)

Chepish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chepish
3DS FC
2638-0438-3598
Which one? :4robinm: or :4robinf:? Or perhaps even both? But seriously, I am probably going to get the Robin Amiibo against my better judgment.
I'll be sticking with :4robinm: since this is my favorite male haistyle. And since I'm sure these things will be costing a piece of me in Brazil I'll probably won't be owning both of them. :(

@ Hong Hong Thanks, I couldn't be any happier!

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah male Robin sounded a little off to me but I'm not entirely sure of it.

Also where are those Gifs/Pics you said you were going to post? xD I was ready for a good laugh.

EDIT: Both are original VAs apparently.
I did not notice that his voice was off, mostly because I have only ever about a chapter's worth of his dialogue.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah male Robin sounded a little off to me but I'm not entirely sure on it.

Well, I thought about it for a while, and I felt it would be more mature and level-headed to celebrate the announcement of Robin instead of the failure of Chrom...

BUT SINCE YOU ASKED:
FIRST THING IS FIRST

I saw Lucina in battle and was like

Then magic came down and I KNEW who it was

And for the HERETIC GEMATSU CULT

For anyone who told me how wrong I was because they will take anything Sal Romano brings to you as gospel and are looking for an excuse:

Reading over the positive responses:

As for Chrom:

My sympathy

Top Bottom