• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I agree, there is no reason to mock the Chrom fan-base. It is more ideal to mock the Roy fan-base! :4robinf:

But seriously though, it was a great victory and history is written by the conquerors. :4robinf:

If it makes you feel any better, I have yet to mock anyone who doubted Robin. I have been busy mocking everyone who believed the Gematsu leak. :4robinf:

I am going to stop and go read a strategy novel right about now. :4robinf:
But Gematsu leak outdated.

But correct predictions.

But Chrom scrapped.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Yay, it's fixed!

I wonder.. is Robin called "My Unit" for the Japanese version? To think, 1) that I never thought the character would make it and 2) that they'd call it "Avatar" or "Tactician."

I am very excited though!! I hope they have a similar customization thing to this character as they do for Miis! (Not sure how likely this is..)
The Japanese default name is Reflet I believe.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
We ain't supporters no more, silly Hong. The supporting part is over. :p
No.

We are Robin supporters because we support each other. :)
I wonder.. is Robin called "My Unit" for the Japanese version? To think, 1) that I never thought the character would make it and 2) that they'd call it "Avatar" or "Tactician."

I am very excited though!! I hope they have a similar customization thing to this character as they do for Miis! (Not sure how likely this is..)
Robin is "Ruflet" (Rufure) in the Japanese version by default. That is why her page is "/ruflet".

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I agree, there is no reason to mock the Chrom fan-base. It is more ideal to mock the Roy fan-base! :4robinf:

But seriously though, it was a great victory and history is written by the conquerors. :4robinf:

If it makes you feel any better, I have yet to mock anyone who doubted Robin. I have been busy mocking everyone who believed the Gematsu leak. :4robinf:
You should contain yourself to be ready to mock people who doubted Ridley :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
But Gematsu leak outdated.

But correct predictions.

But Chrom scrapped.
Probably incredibly outdated, at that. It's not like Lucina and Robin were last minute decisions (Maybe Lucina).

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
This is thread will eventually reach Shulk thread levels of craziness, it seems

:4robinf:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Probably incredibly outdated, at that. It's not like Lucina and Robin were last minute decisions (Maybe Lucina).
Sakurai even stated himself that the Roster was decided since development started. That's why everyone was suspicious to why the Gematsu Leaker said "Pokemon from X/Y" instead of "Greninja".

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Probably not. The FE series kind of likes to stay in its own sections per game. However there could be a sequel to Awakening.
I think he meant the idea rather than Robin himself. I think it's great idea to continue using it. Robin was, after all, and expanded upon version of the player character available in the Japan-only remake of New Mystery of the Emblem. So they've already used the idea more than once.

Not sure if that Avatar was also the group's Tactician though.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Here is just my two cents on the matter at marked grima hand

:GCB: Neutral idea one: Thunder Magic, In the trailer we saw that Robin cycled through many lighting magic from the game (Ex. Thorin and Thunder). My first thought on this is that the longer you hold down :GCB: then a different lighting attack will happen. Like say, you hold it down for half way you get either Arc or Elthunder. Hold it down for the full time and you get Thorin.

:GCB: Neutral Idea Two: all the thunder tomes are all custom moves :joyful:

Side :GCB: : Elfire! It just seems to be the most logical of choices for a side B

Down :GCB: : Nosferatu At first I thought it would be a grab move but from how Robin is standing in the trailer and how he uses the move it seems more likely that it will be Down :GCB: move instead.

Up :GCB:: Levian Sword Summon! Much like Roselina and Luma I think that Robin will just start out with a Bronze Sword and can just pull out the Levian Sword when the player wants to. It will still work with the theme of all of his :GCB: moves having their limits

Down Ariel :GCA:: Elwind!

:GCCL: and :GCCR: : Elwind Strike! During the trailer we saw Robin do a multi hit wind magic attack while still on the ground. My thoughts are that it has to be his Side smashes

Thats what I got! Sorry if anyone posted these ideas already I kinda just skimmed to the bottom to have my say~

Have a happy Robin day and tell me what you guys think of my ideas!

Farorae

Smash Ace
Never played a Fire Emblem game, however I'm really excited to play this character. The moveset looks really unique and I'm loving it so far, can't wait to get my hands on this character!

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
NOTE:
At 2:40, when Female Robin is shown, the fight clip opens with her using a Fire Tome. BUT, at 2:42, you see her stand upright, and a light quickly flashes where she is holding a tome. You can then see her attacking with a Thunder Tome. As such, I strongly feel now that Robin has a specific special move allocated to switching tomes (I feel it is her D-B, with her Nosferatu command grab I mentioned earlier being a S-B variant).
A good theory, however...

She seems to switch to quickly to just be a mapped move to switch specials, IMO. I just see that as impossible considering all the other past moves that have switched move sets.

:kirbymelee:Had to excecute a full taunt in order to regain his neutB

:zeldamelee:&:sheikmelee: have considerable lag on their transformations

:pt:Had lots of lag switching in between pokemon.

:samus2::zerosuitsamus: had to break a smash ball in order to switch between.

the point being the ability to switch between move sets that quickly seems very unlikely as it would be hard to punish and very easy to switch up your attacks to confuse your opponents.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Also guys.......I really want to see Kirby yell "Arcthunder!"....with the hat....

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yep I'd like a female hairstyle like my female Robin's was (in my sig)

Edit: Well I guess this comment doesn't really work anymore since I updated my sig...

I meant this one:

Though with hopefully better stats than that

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
This trailer ^ has certainly become my favorite newcomer trailer thus far.

Some Thoughts:
(Keep in mind that I'm writing my thoughts as I progress through the trailer, so things written earlier may be disproven things written later.)

I see some of you thinking that at 1:17ish Robin switches Tomes while rolliing from Wind to Fire. Well, I've been watching it repeatedly and he doesn't actually change tomes, slow the footage down when Robin is doing his D-Tilt on Captain Falcon and you can see that the Tome's binding is red, signifying it is a Fire Tome. The scene just before that where the camera flies over idle Robin (holding a Wind tome) is a completely different scene.

Neutral B is a Tome Charge move, given that Robin cycles through tomes I feel like each element may have different charge characteristics. For example, Robin's usage of Arc Fire at 1:36 could potentially be his fire tome neutral charge. You also see this Arc Fire animation again at 2:02 and 2:12, since Robin can perform this move in the air and seems to "pause" before releasing the fireball at 2:02, I feel that this move is the Fire Tome charge variation of Robin's Neutral B. This is further supported by the fact that if you closely observe the size of the Fireball that forms over Robin's head during the animation of Arcfire, you will notice that it is smaller at 2:02 than it is at 1:36, so the size changes with charge time, as far as I can tell. Elwind, at 1:36 seems like it is more than likely a special move considering the vertical distance Robin covers when using it, if it were a Dair it would make his recovery broken to say the least, it also has two different animations with different trajectories, but its complete characteristics have yet to be seen.

At 1:22 you can see Robin's grab animation on Diddy Kong, where he reaches out with the Bronze Sword in hand. This makes me think that the grab attack he performs with Nosferatu on Palutena at 1:38 is a command grab. Also, if you slow down the footage and watch Robin as he executes it, this move seems to be a Down B as he seems to be going into a crouch (and then stands back upright) right before the grab animation initiates here. Also, it seems that the Damage done by Nosferatu comes in short bursts, as you can see that the Darkness pulses for a second or two and then fades, and then after a pause, pulses again. Something I noted though was at the beginning of the move there was "gold flash" but the move doesn't seem to be a Down Smash as it seems you see that (or maybe the F-Smash) at 1:47, which Robin performs with the Levin Sword, I think the attack at 1:47 may be a down smash considering that the lightning extends to both sides of Robin, but it has yet to be seen what this move will look like without the Levin Sword (Robin was holding a thunder tome, so perhaps that is what caused the electricity on the ground, although I doubt it).

You can see variations of Robin's neutral combo string at 1:17 and 1:40, with a Fire tome and Wind tome, respectively. Fire tome seems to be the typical 3 hit combo while Wind has an infinite end similar to Fox's (the fact that it is a neutral combo infinite is supported by the "finisher" that you can see for the combo in the Wind Tome clip).

It seems that Robin will have to switch tomes on a regular basis, whether she auto drops them (akin to how they "break" after so many uses in the FE games) or the switch is player-controlled has yet to be seen (perhaps the tome stops functioning after a time and does have to be manually switched, signifying that it is "broken"). I hypothesize that maybe this switch is done with an execution of Neutral B (when the tome runs out), since it is the "charge" move of Robin's specials. Additionally, I feel like it is possible that Robin is "locked in" to a certain tome for a bit until it breaks, I'm assuming it will gradually wear down as specials are used and such, so players can spam special attacks in order to work to switch to a different tome. This is all just speculation of course.

A note, during Robin's final smash (2:33) it seems he first attacks with a Thunder Tome and then attacks with a Fire tome before reverting to Thunder, you can only the binding of a Thunder Tome, but I feel like he does switch tomes considering the different explosion animations (lightning, then fire).

NOTE:
At 2:40, when Female Robin is shown, the fight clip opens with her using a Fire Tome. BUT, at 2:42, you see her stand upright, and a light quickly flashes where she is holding a tome. You can then see her attacking with a Thunder Tome. As such, I strongly feel now that Robin has a specific special move allocated to switching tomes (I feel it is her D-B, with her Nosferatu command grab I mentioned earlier being a S-B variant).

On the topic of weapons "breaking" like in FE, some of you have noticed that Robin was seen with both a Levin Sword and a Bronze Sword. Since weapons "break" in FE, and Robin is shown using both swords at different times, I get the feeling that Robin may start the match with her Levin Sword, and that the Sword breaks after a certain number of attacks. After this, she switches to fighting with a Bronze Sword (a wise choice considering that Bronze Swords last much longer than the Levin Sword) at the (probable) cost of losing some attack power (since the Bronze Sword is weaker than the Levin Sword). As such, I hypothesize that Robin will start each of her stocks with the Levin Sword, and then eventually lose it as it "breaks" while she is fighting. When she is KOed, the Levin Sword will return and the cycle repeats itself.

Again these are just my thoughts, I cannot even begin to think of what her special move variations will be, considering the vast options she seems to have just in her default moveset.

I remind everyone that all of this is just speculation at this point, but I hope you enjoy reading and I look forward to your thoughts.

Thank you for reading. :)
You make very good points. Also, thank you for clearing that up at the beginning.

I just noticed something. The female Robin used Arc Thunder inastantly. It doesn't appear that she charged it up at all. What do you make of this?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Custom moves with Robin will probably end up being the most fun compared to any other character. No surprise there :p

Yes, I'm biased

Nightshade98

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nightshade98
3DS FC
0001-3439-1036
We ****ing did it, that's really all I have to say I've been hyping for hours now and I've watched that trailer so many times now. Today is a good day for Fire Emblem my friends

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am actually pleased with the default design, but having one variation for each of the two Robin's wouldn't hurt.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
A good theory, however...

She seems to switch to quickly to just be a mapped move to switch specials, IMO. I just see that as impossible considering all the other past moves that have switched move sets.

:kirbymelee:Had to excecute a full taunt in order to regain his neutB

:zeldamelee:&:sheikmelee: have considerable lag on their transformations

:pt:Had lots of lag switching in between pokemon.

:samus2::zerosuitsamus: had to break a smash ball in order to switch between.

the point being the ability to switch between move sets that quickly seems very unlikely as it would be hard to punish and very easy to switch up your attacks to confuse your opponents.
Sounds more realistic actually, Robin is a tactitian, and having it as an ability makes sense. Also we already have proof that you can switch tomes at will, Fem robin does jt in the middle of a roll

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
One thing we can conclude here is... Sakurai doesnt give a f&*k about balance

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I don't even think GameXplain can crack this coconut, Robin is impossible to figure out. Poor Derrick.....

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
We ****ing did it, that's really all I have to say I've been hyping for hours now and I've watched that trailer so many times now. Today is a good day for Fire Emblem my friends
What did we do exactly? Speculate in favor of her? Haha. I am honestly going to have to give this one to Sakurai and Intelligent Systems. It does feel like I did most of the work, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
It seems like Robin's biggest thing is conservation and strategizing with what you have, fitting considering the fact that he is a tactician and his job in the army was conserving and strategizing. Robin might be limited in the sense that he may be the new Pokemon Trainer (but as a single character). However, because he does not have to switch, you will only have to master a single character.

How do you even take that from any of this?

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I like the thought of the ground wind attack being a forward smash, as the last hit does seem to have pretty good knock back, and that generic sword thrust at 2:10 looks more like a forward tilt, which was what I though the wind was at first, and I don't think it being his jab makes sense because of how Robin seems to auto change tombs in the last scene with Female Robin.

I also don't think the switch took an input just because... well that would have taken some skill and quick execution, and those are generally not things shown off in trailers. (at least from my perspective)

EDIT: okay... maybe the ground based wind didnt have good knock back... but I still think it looks like a forward smash similar to zelda's multihit forward smash.

Last edited:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
I think charges may be stored individually for each book, because of the way arcthunder and arcfire were used in such close sucession.
It seems only his Thunder moves ( presumably neut b )
I don't see any stronger version of his ( presumed side b ) archfire move

If somebody else see's it please show. A chargeable PKF would make me main this character.

You make very good points. Also, thank you for clearing that up at the beginning.

I just noticed something. The female Robin used Arc Thunder inastantly. It doesn't appear that she charged it up at all. What do you make of this?
Charges can probably be stored similar to samus' and lucario's Neut b

Sounds more realistic actually, Robin is a tactitian, and having it as an ability makes sense. Also we already have proof that you can switch tomes at will, Fem robin does jt in the middle of a roll
It would make sense if the color of the tome would only change when you used a different move. For example the tome would be yellow using his ( presumed ) neut b but during his animation for his ( presumed ) side b it would turn red.

EDIT: I do support the idea of his jab ( and maybe some other normals like smash ) being different based on the tome he has currently equipped. ( presumably the last spell he used )

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Just because Robin is a spellsword doesn't mean we can already conclude Robin is broken...if that's what you're getting at. Trailers always make newcomers look good. Each newcomer shown up to this point always raise the OP flag and from the ones that we've seen in actual live gameplay, being OP is definitely not the case right now.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Wow... Robin's design looks absolutely exquisite in this game. Those clothes are just dashing.

Anyhow, it is absolutely great to see a Fire Emblem newcomer whom uses magick. I always thought that if we ever did get a Fire Emblem character whom was not a Lord, it would be either Anna, Soren, Micaiah, or Robin. Though Lucina was mine most wanted Fire Emblem newcomer (and thank the sun she got in!), I also really wanted someone from the franchise whom would bring something more to the banquet than close-quarters sword fighting.

I absolutely look forward to seeing how this character plays!

Last edited:

Chepish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chepish
3DS FC
2638-0438-3598
It's so funny to see how Chrom endded as part of Robin's final smash, that was the way most of us supporters wanted it to be and how it was the complete oposite of the expected.

What I can only say is: Plot twist, Sakurai is between us!

Blakexd9

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blakexd9
3DS FC
3566-1543-3794
I'm just hoping that all the alts feature different hair/face combinations
THIS. I would love different hair colors as well.

Assuming they use the same build for alts, my number one pick for female Robin would the bottom right. My second pick would be the bottom middle. I would go with brown hair for both. I could see #2 over #1 because of how different it looks visually.

Not many options here for this build of male Robin. My first pick would be the second to the farthest right on the bottom. I would go with black hair. Don't really have a second pick for this one.

Ooooooor Sakurai could go with the alts be the same exact hairstyle/face but with blue hair.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
It would be nice to have an alt that looks more like Morgan.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
Robin actually looks like a very balanced character to me. Probably will main him is ness isn't present/sucks in sm4sh

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026

Does anyone else think that this looks like the anima mage sprite from the old GBA games? Or just me?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Don't mind me if someone's already said this but..

So the books definitely don't have to be "switched out" like how some have speculated. At the part where they show the female Robin, she used a fire and a lightning attack consecutively and if you slow it down enough, you can see that the books change colors from red to yellow.

I do wonder though how the Levin Sword fits in. I mean we see the book being tossed, but that looks more like a taunt because every time they show him fighting with the Levin Sword he's holding a tome.

PS, The wind attacks seem to give him lifts? I could have sworn he was swooping up in that scene with Little Mac, and then getting pushed up again when using the wind attack that's aimed down.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I also just realized.....Lucina and F-Robin are "potentially" family members. Which means we have our first "Parent" in a game.

The only other family members I can think of is Mario and Luigi. (Nana and Popo don't count since we don't know if they are lovers or siblings.)

Anyway, it doesn't matter since MRobinxTharja is best ship.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Robin actually looks like a very balanced character to me.
I agree. I am an expert at discerning balance in the roster despite the notion that I do not know the entire roster. Even better yet, I have extensively played Robin against the entire cast for about a year now. You are correct, just so that you are aware. I would hate to keep you waiting because you seem a little hesitant.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
Don't mind me if someone's already said this but..

So the books definitely don't have to be "switched out" like how some have speculated. At the part where they show the female Robin, she used a fire and a lightning attack consecutively and if you slow it down enough, you can see that the books change colors from red to yellow.

I do wonder though how the Levin Sword fits in. I mean we see the book being tossed, but that looks more like a taunt because every time they show him fighting with the Levin Sword he's holding a tome.
I do believe we've basically figured his spells out. I think the Levin sword will have to be explained more by sakurai as we see no footage of him 'switching' between the levin and broze swords.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I agree!

Just look at Lucina!!!! Her attacks look way to fast and powerful to be considered balanced in Smash! Look at those disjointed hitboxes..... She's going to be so broken. What the hell was Sakurai thinking??

Top Bottom