• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I got into Fire Emblem almost immediately after trying out Ike in Brawl, back in early 2008. My first game was Path of Radiance, which was also one of the first strategy games I ever played. The only other strategy games I tried out before then were those real-time strategy Star Wars games on the PC, and my experiences with playing them were...less than stellar.

I actually knew about the Fire Emblem series's localization in the West sometime after FE7 was released, but I didn't get into it back then because I felt that the strategy genre was not my cup of tea (I was more of a traditional RPG/Action Adventure sort of gamer). But when I played as Ike for the first time in Brawl, it suddenly clicked to me that I hardly knew anything about the series and its characters that I enjoyed playing as, so I asked myself: why didn't I get into it before then?

At first, I was interested in trying out FE7 as my first Fire Emblem after hearing its critical praise, but when I had difficulty trying to locate a copy, I decided to go with Path of Radiance instead out of convenience. And then the magic happened: I fell in love with the intricate gameplay and vast amount of incredible characters (Mia <3) that I can control, and the music, the music, was so memorably amazing. It was one of the best decisions I ever made as a 14-15 year old kid.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
We talking about FE games yaaa. Speaking of which I beat FE6 a few days ago and holy crap I love Roy but he's a terrible lord lol. Had that mofo at lvl 20 for at least 10-12 levels before he promoted. At least I had a pretty good Lilina and Raigh.

EDIT: I didn't try out the FE games till like 2009 with the Sacred Stones which was my first FE. Afterwards it was Awakening.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I'd get around to playing the JP FE games if I wasn't terrified that it would threaten my chances of getting a job with required extensive background checks if said checks happened to find that I used emulators in the past.

Overreaction? Maybe. Still hesitant.
That's pretty cute, actually.

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
Went to a tournament and fought against some local top players with Robin and actually had some good fights despite the fact that they were using Diddy and Sheik. I could't reach a good spot in the tourney but I least I feel motivated to keep using Robin. Also I won a set with Elwind Spike and felt sooooooo good.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Went to a tournament and fought against some local top players with Robin and actually had some good fights despite the fact that they were using Diddy and Sheik. I could't reach a good spot in the tourney but I least I feel motivated to keep using Robin. Also I won a set with Elwind Spike and felt sooooooo good.
If you don't mind, could you please give some advice on how to handle the Diddy matchup?

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
If you don't mind, could you please give some advice on how to handle the Diddy matchup?
Well, actually the Diddy MU was the most difficult to me but I keep going with Robin anyway. You need to set up Arcfire with care because he's so small that is easy to miss it, don't do it to close because he can just run and grab you. Beware of his banana and grab. If you are grabbed the most probable thing (in fact always xD) they're going for Dthrow and follow with some aerial, I recommend to DI out and diagonal (if he grabbed you facing left, DI diagonal to the right) and you're going to escape some death combos in high %.

Try to keep the momentum and him in the air, yeah he has and excellent air game but if he's above you the only thing he can do is Dair that is somewhat laggy spike and you have your amazing Levin Uair and also Fair, punish and bait with that. If he's offstage don't fear going for the gimp, go with a Fair or a Nair gimp so he can't charge enough his recovery, after all it doesn't reach as far as in Brawl uncharged. Also Diddy tend to recover low that is the perfect situation for a Elwind spike, I took 2 stocks from him like this.

That's what I can think right now, is really difficult to keep momentum if he's grabbing you and hitting you, try to be creative. I don't know but I didn't used so much thunder because I didn't have much time to charge because he chased me like crazy, I charged some Arcthunders when I was high and offstage and sometimes spamed some Elthunders to mess his recovery.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
So how does FE7 compare to the rest of other FE games? I don't have much of a reference because I have only played Shadow Dragon and Awakening, lol.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So how does FE7 compare to the rest of other FE games? I don't have much of a reference because I have only played Shadow Dragon and Awakening, lol.
FE7 is by far the best GBA game, and is contender for the best English game in the series.

My personal top 3:

1. FE7
2. Radiant Dawn
3. Awakening

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Thought this was cute and figure I'd post this here because I know we have a few EarthBound-loving Tacticians:

@ Shaymikyu Shaymikyu @MaskO'Gears
That is cute. Poor Jeff, though. He's probably my favorite Mother 2/EarthBound character (though I do have a weird soft spot for Paula, and I don't know why).

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
FE7 is really good you should play it. I played it in timeline order so FE7 then FE6 and it was weird though.

D

Deleted member

Thought this was cute and figure I'd post this here because I know we have a few EarthBound-loving Tacticians:

@ Shaymikyu Shaymikyu @MaskO'Gears
I looked over that before, but, now that I've seen it, those were some pretty creative lyrics and I enjoyed the animation. It makes me sympathetic for Jeff.

Oh yeah, I should mention that I love EarthBound. It's one of my favorite RPGs.

FE7 is by far the best GBA game, and is contender for the best English game in the series.

My personal top 3:

1. FE7
2. Radiant Dawn
3. Awakening
FE7 is the first one that came to America, right? I should buy that game on the Wii U.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
My personal top 3:
1. FE7
2. Radiant Dawn
3. Awakening
FE7 is really good you should play it. I played it in timeline order so FE7 then FE6 and it was weird though.
Huh, I think I will do that then. Thanks my fellow tacticians.

Hong

The Strongest
I must be the anti-christ of Fire Emblem because FE7 is one of my least favourites. Out of the GBA games I would certainly recommend Sacred Stones over the others any day of the week, @ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal . The game would be so much better if you could select difficulty from the start and they didn't do the creepy, forced, and awkward strategist thing. Granted, since I didn't start with FE7, I have a bit of a negative bias because the tutorial and player character felt a bit alienating. A player character was not done right until Awakening, though they did make some strides with Kris in FE12.
That is cute. Poor Jeff, though. He's probably my favorite Mother 2/EarthBound character (though I do have a weird soft spot for Paula, and I don't know why).
It's sad, but you know that Jeff is one day going to wake up to the words that will one day send him off on the journey of a life time. A journey with strong, bright, courageous friends at his side, a journey where he can utilize his genius to the fullest (even in the dead of night), and a journey where he'll stand taller than any tree and fly further than any snowflake. Where there will be tears, there will also be smiles, and smiles and tears does a hero make.

I do indeed have an attachment to Jeff. He is my favourite of EarthBound's chosen 4. I like Paula as well. I don't know why I like her, either, but I just do. Something noble about how she would pray in the face of danger to overcome the incomprehensible evil that is Giygas.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I don't dislike FE7, but I certainly wouldn't say top 3 either. Maybe top 5, it kinda depends on what mood I'm in as to which I'd put at number 5 (between 7, 8, and 10)

My list would go something like
13 > 12 > 9 > 4 > ( 7 = 10 = 8 ) > 3 > 6 => 5 > 2 > 1 > 11

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Sacred Stones is a mixed bag.

The characters are great, branching promotions were awesome.

But the world map was not well executed, the game is way too easy, and the plot feels.... dry. There's a distinct lack of actual conflict, since there's not the involved 'people', it's just mostly monsters. Lyon is well done, but other than that the plot is distinctly lacking and Ephraim/Eirika are EXCEPTIONALLY bland as characters.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
On a different topic, i'm kinda baffled at how quickly the "Diddy kong is OP" bandwagon escalated, like seriously before the Wii U version came out (after the patch) i would use him and people would tell me things like "Good Diddy" or "Keep practicing your Diddy".
Now people are calling me a tierfag when i use him, like seriously he was always good, i don't see why suddenly everyone hates him.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
I must be the anti-christ of Fire Emblem because FE7 is one of my least favourites. Out of the GBA games I would certainly recommend Sacred Stones over the others any day of the week, @ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal . The game would be so much better if you could select difficulty from the start and they didn't do the creepy, forced, and awkward strategist thing. Granted, since I didn't start with FE7, I have a bit of a negative bias because the tutorial and player character felt a bit alienating. A player character was not done right until Awakening, though they did make some strides with Kris in FE12.
Well I am hoping with all the VC releases that eventually more FE games come out on the Wii U. There are many games I missed during the gba era, Golden Sun and FE games being some of them. By the way, what did you particularly liked about Sacred Stones? Story, characters, map levels, etc? I know a bit about FE7 already but next to nothing about Sacred Stones and the fact that Smash shows it basically no love doesn't help.

Edit: In regards to the Diddy hate bandwagon, I honestly saw it before the patch. I kind of assumed that the reason why people hate him even more now is because unlike other assumed top tier, he remained relatively unchanged after the patch. But hey, haters gonna hate so play whoever you want @ Weeman Weeman .

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I must be the anti-christ of Fire Emblem because FE7 is one of my least favourites. Out of the GBA games I would certainly recommend Sacred Stones over the others any day of the week, @ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal . The game would be so much better if you could select difficulty from the start and they didn't do the creepy, forced, and awkward strategist thing. Granted, since I didn't start with FE7, I have a bit of a negative bias because the tutorial and player character felt a bit alienating. A player character was not done right until Awakening, though they did make some strides with Kris in FE12.It's sad, but you know that Jeff is one day going to wake up to the words that will one day send him off on the journey of a life time. A journey with strong, bright, courageous friends at his side, a journey where he can utilize his genius to the fullest (even in the dead of night), and a journey where he'll stand taller than any tree and fly further than any snowflake. Where there will be tears, there will also be smiles, and smiles and tears does a hero make.

I do indeed have an attachment to Jeff. He is my favourite of EarthBound's chosen 4. I like Paula as well. I don't know why I like her, either, but I just do. Something noble about how she would pray in the face of danger to overcome the incomprehensible evil that is Giygas.
I have to admit, if there is one thing awkward so far about FE7, it's the breaking the fourth wall thing. You barely see Mark outside of a few moments, so it feels like Lyn is just talking to you, which is... Odd. At least Robin is a character in the story itself, and while s/he does represent the player, s/he still has her/his own personality, motives, and so forth, and even lines spoken. Plus, Robin gets to fight in combat.

I must have a thing for the glasses kids in EB. Jeff is my favorite in M2, and Lloyd is easily my favorite in M1 character.
Well I am hoping with all the VC releases that eventually more FE games come out on the Wii U. There are many games I missed during the gba era, Golden Sun and FE games being some of them. By the way, what did you particularly liked about Sacred Stones? Story, characters, map levels, etc? I know a bit about FE7 already but next to nothing about Sacred Stones and the fact that Smash shows it basically no love doesn't help.

Edit: In regards to the Diddy hate bandwagon, I honestly saw it before the patch. I kind of assumed that the reason why people hate him even more now is because unlike other assumed top tier, he remained relatively unchanged after the patch. But hey, haters gonna hate so play whoever you want @ Weeman Weeman .
I'm still hoping we'll get Gamecube games on Virtual Console eventually. It's about as old as the Gameboy Advance. Then I can play the other Pikmins I missed out on since the first one turned me away with its time limit (liked the rest of the game, though) and PoR and RD.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Gamecube games on Virtual Console eventually.
Probably not happening for a long time.

No GC adapter despite potentially being able to program the Pro Controller to work with them, and with the supposed discontinuation of the adapter as is...yeah.

Last edited:

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
I got into Fire Emblem almost immediately after trying out Ike in Brawl, back in early 2008. My first game was Path of Radiance, which was also one of the first strategy games I ever played. The only other strategy games I tried out before then were those real-time strategy Star Wars games on the PC, and my experiences with playing them were...less than stellar.

I actually knew about the Fire Emblem series's localization in the West sometime after FE7 was released, but I didn't get into it back then because I felt that the strategy genre was not my cup of tea (I was more of a traditional RPG/Action Adventure sort of gamer). But when I played as Ike for the first time in Brawl, it suddenly clicked to me that I hardly knew anything about the series and its characters that I enjoyed playing as, so I asked myself: why didn't I get into it before then?

At first, I was interested in trying out FE7 as my first Fire Emblem after hearing its critical praise, but when I had difficulty trying to locate a copy, I decided to go with Path of Radiance instead out of convenience. And then the magic happened: I fell in love with the intricate gameplay and vast amount of incredible characters (Mia <3) that I can control, and the music, the music, was so memorably amazing. It was one of the best decisions I ever made as a 14-15 year old kid.
Pretty much the same for me. I was aware of Fire Emblem with Marth and Roy in Melee, but it was Ike's inclusion in Brawl that pushed me to try out the games since he was my main. However, I had Radiant Dawn as my first game instead because it was the most accessible at the time, and it took a lot of searching to get the rest of the games, especially Path of Radiance. However, that search was well worth experiencing the games of my all-time favorite series. :)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Three Pranked users next to each other in that users list down there(for me at least)...:seuss:

Hong

The Strongest
Lyon is well done, but other than that the plot is distinctly lacking and Ephraim/Eirika are EXCEPTIONALLY bland as characters.
Going back over the whole series, I actually like Eirika. If I could summarize her character in one sentence, it would be "Don't make me kick your ass." She's even more naive than the typical lord and not at all aware of her combat prowess, but she would soon discover the gift for battle that lies within the blood of the Renais royal family.

Ephraim did lack substance. If it wasn't bad enough for Ephraim to have less exposure, his quest has less story involved as well. He has an unhealthy obsession with fighting, and I think they could have gotten some mileage out of it by having him do something he would regret.
By the way, what did you particularly liked about Sacred Stones? Story, characters, map levels, etc?.
The music, chapter design, the characters, the classes... did I mention chapter design?

It's also a lot of fun if you play the game straight through without going into the tower, ruins, or grinding off of the overworld enemies. Otherwise the difficulty is overly trivialized and it stops being engaging.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm starting to see a lot of Santa hats around here...
Join in! It's fun.

As for Fire Emblem, I've only played Awakening so far. I'd have played more, but money, time, and rarity keep getting in the way. :p I definitely want to play more though.

Hong

The Strongest
It's still an easy game even if you don't. >_>
No one said otherwise, but there is a difference between everyone being damned good and having Jeigans like Seth and Titania who can run the show themselves if they wanted, versus a game where you actually no longer make conscious decisions with the rest of your units. If easy games couldn't be fun, the majority of Nintendo's IPs would be in the bargain bin.

After you have figured out the first three chapters, even Awakening becomes a brainless experience for the main game before you've even reached ch10 after MU starts to pick up momentum. Think I had someone die to reinforcements in ch16 like once.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Completing one final last week and being exempt from another final next week means I have just two finals next week, Tuesday and Thursday, which I can spend the entire weekend + Monday preparing for.

And yet here I am just playing FE7.

D

Deleted member

Not to turn this into a hipster-battle (I like that Awakening has made the Fire Emblem series more popular, and dislike it when the, 'you're only a true fan of this series if you liked it at this point in time' claim is used), but who here has been playing the Fire Emblem games since FE7 came out in the west? I brought the game over 10 years ago, and am stoked that it has been re-released on Virtual console. Does anyone know if it comes with the content you could only get from that extra disc that came with Mario Kart Double Dash? I thought a few of the items you could get were neat, and to my knowledge you can't unlock all the songs in sound test without it.
Meee~

Am I the only one that didn't have a problem with Shadow Dragon?

:|

Last edited by a moderator:

Hong

The Strongest
Meee~

Functionally I like the game. It's the presentation that I didn't like.

Personally I loathe Masamune Shirow, his style, and his views, so having him handling my baby Marth was like a nightmare come to reality. I hate the art style for Shadow Dragon, especially after we had just came into it from the beautiful, mature, clean work they had done with Radiant Dawn. Of course the DS at the time couldn't have all those high res character portraits overlayed like that, but even the GBA's simple and cute art style would have sufficed.

And the music... oh goodness gracious it was handled so terribly.

How could any loving, caring, compassionate human being make the player listen to something like this. It's not only having to listen to this, but it's having to listen to the same six seconds all the time as you take on a hoard of enemies. Oh, you can turn battle animations off, sure, but tucking a bad song away doesn't make it less bad. Just makes it a reason why a player would ignore a feature.

With the sound track in general, even if they wanted to be true to the original, they could have done much better. In fact, the Famicom versions of the tracks are often better. It's certainly within the realm of possibility; FE12 had to work with old (granted, 16 bit) music and wasn't bad all things considered.

All that aside, the game is decent on a functional level.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink

My personal top 3:

1. FE7
2. Radiant Dawn
3. Awakening
You have excellent taste. I'd stick both the radiant games at 2 though.

Meee~

I don't have as big of a problem with it as others, but I didn't care for its story (though to be fair said story was from the NES/Famicom era), it lacked support conversations (and didn't have lots of awesome 'info' segments to make up for it like in Radiant Dawn), and I don't think it did class changing nearly as well as Awakening. Really, I think its biggest problem is simply that it's a remake of the first game, and was lacking a lot of the stuff the later games had that I found compelling. Although even then a lot of the stuff it added from the original Famicom title, like the music kind of sucked. And I'm not one to be too critical of art-styles, but I GREATLY prefer the character designs in the GBA, Gamecube, Wii, Famicom, and Super Famicom games to the one here (granted, I don't flat-out detest most of them, like say, Ike's Awakening redesign).

Despite that, I will say I saw it all the way through, I think it's better than the original Famicom title, and didn't really hate it, just found it more bland than the later games. Then again, the only FE title I haven't played is the 5th one, and I'm honestly not a huge fan of any of the other pre-FE6 entrants in the series.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
On a different topic, i'm kinda baffled at how quickly the "Diddy kong is OP" bandwagon escalated, like seriously before the Wii U version came out (after the patch) i would use him and people would tell me things like "Good Diddy" or "Keep practicing your Diddy".
Now people are calling me a tierfag when i use him, like seriously he was always good, i don't see why suddenly everyone hates him.
When you get hit by a banana>uthrow>usmash>0todeathed>JV-3Stocked with 2 stocks on (you get my gist) salt flows hard
it's the Little Mac scare again, you just have to wait till people learn how to deal with Diddy

Pikachewy99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PikachewySAC
3DS FC
4270-1328-9930
I headcanon male Robin as being a metagamer, and female Robin just choosing all the cute pokemon. And getting crazy hax to beat him every single time.
Long time no see everyone! what are you talking about pikachewy you've only been gone for two days

YOUR PICHU HAS WONDERGUARD?
YOU HAVE A HOOPA?
HOW DID YOU GET AZ'S FLOETTE?!
WHY DOES YOUR GLACEON HAVE SNOW WARNING?
ALL YOUR POKEMON ARE SHINY!
THERE'S NO WAY I CAN BEAT YOU!

And they call YOU a tactician?
How can you win smash bros if you can't win pokemon?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SNAP

….

:4robinf:: Ha, checkmate.
Robin's gonna need a burn heal. I'm so sorry M!Robin

He's just mad because he spent hours of his life IV breeding while his counterpart hacked her way to perfect mons.

Top Bottom