• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'd prefer to have the Black Knight be part of the game somehow as a villain.
I think an alternative pallet for Robin is far more likely than a new character model, though.

Although that does raise a question: All these Smash Run foes, but none from Fire Emblem? Give me some Risen to slay, at least!

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
Finding a good fan translation can be hard, no one blames you for that.

We blame you for not liking Lyn. Because Lyn is awesome. :)
I used to like her too! Give me some credit! xD I will say I like the way she fights, her growths are nice, mostly. She just seems bland to me, but Eliwood isn't super exciting either, but I like him c:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I want the Black Knight to be a playable character in Smash.

Get on my hopeless level.
Pfeh. Characters are only playable in Smash if there is some chance they'd lose.

Although know I really, really want to see the scene where we get a "Falcon Punch!" that just pops up with the "dink" sound and "Zero Damage" to the Black Knight.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I used to like her too! Give me some credit! xD I will say I like the way she fights, her growths are nice, mostly. She just seems bland to me, but Eliwood isn't super exciting either, but I like him c:
She is literally my favorite character in video gaming. I really like her personality, and I love the subtleties with her personal story that are never stated outright (for example, the implication that Lundgren paid the Talivar bandits to slaughter the Lorca).

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Radiant Dawn BK can easily lose though. His armor is no longer blessed.

Not that it matter if it was PoR BK since Smash doesn't care about canon.

Not that he has a hell's chance in getting in anyway.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
She is literally my favorite character in video gaming. I really like her personality, and I love the subtleties with her personal story that are never stated outright (for example, the implication that Lundgren paid the Talivar bandits to slaughter the Lorca).
Her backstory is great, I admit.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
FE 7 is like the stable for Fire Emblem for a lot of people xD
In terms of story and characters, I rate it the highest, with Awakening coming in next. In terms of gameplay mechanics, though, Awakening blows it away.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Radiant Dawn BK can easily lose though. His armor is no longer blessed.

Not that it matter if it was PoR BK since Smash doesn't care about canon.

Not that he has a hell's chance in getting in anyway.
Canon or not, you don't introduce a character like that unless he's a really imposing threat. I could see him being a boss type character (if they have those in Smash Run). But I can't see him being a playable character.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
In terms of story and characters, I rate it the highest, with Awakening coming in next. In terms of gameplay mechanics, though, Awakening blows it away.
I'll admit, I'm a Lucina fan. But most people are fans of her and marry her, I don't want to marry her, but she's my daughter.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
You can prevent them from breaking, though. Don't use the moves. I don't see why you need to make the tome recovery mechanic weaker just because it's going to break. You already know it's going to break going in. You have to prepare for it.
Come on, thats basically saying "Don't play the character how he is meant to be played or you will get punished!".

Two and a half months to go. Yay?
Well... Not yay for me because i plan on skipping the 3DS version ._.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Canon or not, you don't introduce a character like that unless he's a really imposing threat. I could see him being a boss type character (if they have those in Smash Run). But I can't see him being a playable character.
I'm surprised that no one has brought up that Dedede would annihilate Black Knight.
Because... y'know hammers are effective against heavily armored opponents?
Ok, I'll leave now.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'll admit, I'm a Lucina fan. But most people are fans of her and marry her, I don't want to marry her, but she's my daughter.
And she tries to kill you for it. You raised her well.

:)

And yet you still save her and your hubby from Captain Falcon.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Only chance for Fire Emblem Smash Run representation is if some FE figure is presented as a boss. FE enemies are too human or too humanoid to be used as common mooks in Smash without causing some kind of stir. It's probably why Redeads were absent in Brawl and seem to be absent now.

I guess they could use Laguz or Manaketes, but FE established multiple times that keeping them in their bestial forms permanently is a big no-no.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
From a gameplay standard, Awakening is my least fave of the FEs I have played. Still love it though.

Radiant Dawn is currently my fave in terms of gameplay, but from everything I have heard about FE7 I wouldn't be surprised if it replaced it.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
PoR has been my fav FE I've played. RD follows after that, then Awakening.

I did listen to the hype over FE7, but I still haven't beaten it fully after buying it 8 months ago. Eh.

I'd take a crack at Mystery of the Emblem, Gaiden, and Genealogy, but emulations and all that. :/

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Come on, thats basically saying "Don't play the character how he is meant to be played or you will get punished!".
I think this is the way the character is meant to be played. Incredibly powerful specials that you have to ration out and use strategically. If you spam them or overuse them, you get punished. You know they have a cooldown time once you use so many, and you have to determine when to factor that time into your fighting.

Well... Not yay for me because i plan on skipping the 3DS version ._.
That's ok. Everyone who's practicing will have finally gotten used to the differing control scheme on the 3DS, so they'll have to relearn Gamecube controls when they go back to face you on the Wii U version, which gives you a chance to learn.

Unless someone's foolish enough to go with a Classic Control, which shares the 3DS control scheme. In which case, they might well dominate for the first few days.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
From a gameplay standard, Awakening is my least fave of the FEs I have played. Still love it though.

Radiant Dawn is currently my fave in terms of gameplay, but from everything I have heard about FE7 I wouldn't be surprised if it replaced it.
Radiant Dawn is nice, just a displeasing story. I don't like the story, and some mechanics are just ugh

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

It ditches weapon weight, massively revamps Rescues to make them much more useful, and does away with the "only 5 Support conversation" limit from the earlier games. What is there not to like about Awakening's mechanics?

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
PoR has been my fav FE I've played. RD follows after that, then Awakening.

I did listen to the hype over FE7, but I still haven't beaten it fully after buying it 8 months ago. Eh.

I'd take a crack at Mystery of the Emblem, Gaiden, and Genealogy, but emulations and all that. :/
I wanna play some of those old games but they're all in Japanese.... I'm planning to take Japanese classes, (not just for that reason, to clarify) but it's upsetting.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Only chance for Fire Emblem Smash Run representation is if some FE figure is presented as a boss. FE enemies are too human or too humanoid to be used as common mooks in Smash without causing some kind of stir. It's probably why Redeads were absent in Brawl and seem to be absent now.

I guess they could use Laguz or Manaketes, but FE established multiple times that keeping them in their bestial forms permanently is a big no-no.
Well, Sacred Stones had skellies and spiders. Not as iconic, though. Maybe Entombed? You know, the mummy risen? They're still better than Redeads, and you could add in the whole "massive rewards for taking them down" thing, since they gave hugely boosted experience in Awakening.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It ditches weapon weight, massively revamps Rescues to make them much more useful, and does away with the "only 5 Support conversation" limit from the earlier games. What is there not to like about Awakening's mechanics?
Weapon weight kept speed relatively balanced and forced you to think before going with a stronger version of a weapon and make sure you could actually double attack with.

Pair Up is incredibly unbalanced and was poorly executed.

The support thing is good though.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
And she tries to kill you for it. You raised her well.

:)

And yet you still save her and your hubby from Captain Falcon.
Captain Falcon can **** right off xD, I hated seeing Lucina keep missing just for the glory of Falcon. And you know, if you say yes when you're her mother, she won't do it anyway, because she loves you. So yes, I did raise her well <3

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Weapon weight kept speed relatively balanced and forced you to think before going with a stronger version of a weapon and make sure you could actually double attack with.
Weapon weight absolutely crippled low constitution and low strength characters like Monks and Myrmidons, and made their power even more luck based than it already was. Basically, if you didn't get a strength boost (even though Mages wouldn't use Strength and thus had very low growth), you couldn't use any of the more powerful weapons. I am not sad to see it go.

Pair Up is incredibly unbalanced and was poorly executed.
Pair up is a fantastic idea with questionable execution, admittedly. I still vastly prefer it to Rescue, and, while there is still a ton of balancing to be done, Lunatic and Lunatic+ show that the game can still be easily built to counter the bonuses it gives you. Again, they didn't do a fantastic job of that, but given how many new features they had to try to balance in Awakening, I thought the result was really solid.

I do miss Fog of War and destructible terrain, though.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917

And I think that their iconicity, or lack thereof, is kind of a hit against them as well. Remember, we've still only had six localized Fire Emblem titles, compared to how many Mario/Kirby/Sonic/Megaman/Pokemon titles?

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
Weapon weight absolutely crippled low constitution and low strength characters like Monks and Myrmidons, and made their power even more luck based than it already was. Basically, if you didn't get a strength boost (even though Mages wouldn't use Strength and thus had very low growth), you couldn't use any of the more powerful weapons. I am not sad to see it go.

Pair up is a fantastic idea with questionable execution, admittedly. I still vastly prefer it to Rescue, and, while there is still a ton of balancing to be done, Lunatic and Lunatic+ show that the game can still be easily built to counter the bonuses it gives you. Again, they didn't do a fantastic job of that, but given how many new features they had to try to balance in Awakening, I thought the result was really solid.

I do miss Fog of War and destructible terrain, though.
I miss weather affects that acutally helped or hurt you, it was a fun twist, even if it was annoying.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
And I think that their iconicity, or lack thereof, is kind of a hit against them as well. Remember, we've still only had six localized Fire Emblem titles, compared to how many Mario/Kirby/Sonic/Megaman/Pokemon titles?
They've added in characters from Kid Icarus (two games, but Sakurai worked on them, so we'll let it pass), Pikmin (three games), and Dig Dug (one game. One admittedly awesome game, but still just one game).

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It did not cripple Myrmidons at all.

The only thing I would change about weight is that the weight of tomes use Mag instead of Str. It does a good job of keeping your characters and weapons in check.

If by solid you mean completely arbitrary and luck based.

Let's also not forget that the maps in Awakening are all huge with he same objectives with no variation aside from visuals. Strategy feels moot compared to other games, espically when brute forcing your way in is the best option 9/10 times.

It's basically just a dumbed down FE.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I think this is the way the character is meant to be played. Incredibly powerful specials that you have to ration out and use strategically. If you spam them or overuse them, you get punished. You know they have a cooldown time once you use so many, and you have to determine when to factor that time into your fighting.

That's ok. Everyone who's practicing will have finally gotten used to the differing control scheme on the 3DS, so they'll have to relearn Gamecube controls when they go back to face you on the Wii U version, which gives you a chance to learn.

Unless someone's foolish enough to go with a Classic Control, which shares the 3DS control scheme. In which case, they might well dominate for the first few days.
Actually it was more of a "I have to wait til winter? NOOOOO" kind of thing. And i would accept having to conserve specials... if a) not EVERY special was like that, essentially making half og the characters moveset go unused 90% of the game and b) the endlag wouldn't looks so ridiculously long that it alone would make for a decent punishment for the strenghs. Like seriously , the endlag on Arcfire looks so long you might not be able to combo out of it with a grab, and that with it looking like perfect set-up fodder... Oh well I need some sleep i had to edit this post like 10 times to get rid of all the spelling mistakes. L8er.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

The only thing I would change about weight is that the weight of tomes use Mag instead of Str. It does a good job of keeping your characters and weapons in check.
I agree to that change, if they kept the weight system.

I'm still glad it's gone though. :)

Early on, yes. They did definitely over-tune it. However, if you can gain just a level or two over the standard curve (which unfortunately pretty much requires DLC), it becomes an immensely satisfying experience.

Let's also not forget that the maps in Awakening are all huge with he same objectives with no variation aside from visuals. Strategy feels moot compared to other games, espically when brute forcing your way in is the best option 9/10 times.

I agree that the map design is vastly inferior, but that's a map/encounter design problem, not an issue with the mechanics.

Oh, um, right. On topic. Robin is THE BEST choice for inclusion into Smash Bros. Both Lucina and Chrom are not only sword users, they're characters with infinite use weapons (as was Ike with Ragnelle). Robin is the first main character in a while who cannot use an infinite use weapon (Armsthrift not withstanding). So he is the perfect opportunity to bring in that mechanic.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Well, Sacred Stones had skellies and spiders. Not as iconic, though. Maybe Entombed? You know, the mummy risen? They're still better than Redeads, and you could add in the whole "massive rewards for taking them down" thing, since they gave hugely boosted experience in Awakening.
Still has an issue with the mummy look.

They're distinctly humanoid, and an outsider looking in can even say that the head resembles the knit bag placed over convicts' heads just before they're executed by hanging or by firing squad. It's not an ideal enemy.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Still has an issue with the mummy look.

They're distinctly humanoid, and an outsider looking in can even say that the head resembles the knit bag placed over convicts' heads just before they're executed by hanging or by firing squad. It's not an ideal enemy.
But they're giant evil zombies that eat vegetables!

Maybe the super spiky ones from Roster Rescue?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Warning Received
In addition to my last comment, he's also a tome user, and the only real choice for a tome user to take the stage, since Micaiah is from an older game that didn't sell as well.

So he has two new huge things going for him. Epic win.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
Double Post

Fire emblem dating simulator in my opinion xD

In addition to my last comment, he's also a tome user, and the only real choice for a tome user to take the stage, since Micaiah is from an older game that didn't sell as well.

So he has two new huge things going for him. Epic win.
I just hope the tomes regenerate after time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Arcfire could have IASA frames. Or maybe the damage output is so high that it necessitates the endlag for balancing purposes.

D

Deleted member

If we're talking FE adventure mode bosses, Medeus could be an option, considering he turns into a Dark Dragon and fits the enemy thing:

Or maybe Ashera:

Since either of these options would fit the extremely powerful and evil idea for boss characters to have.

And I personally don't see much issue with them being considered since Tabuu (while obviously not an actual human) had a humanoid form.

On the topic of Medeus as a manakete being in dragon form, it would still be temporary since he could start the fight in his human form (as the players spawn in), and then immediately transform into his dark dragon form.

And also Grima.

In all seriousness given Grima's body type I feel like he would function too similarly to Rayquaza (obviously having different attacks, but still moving in a very similar fashion).

Just some ideas for FE boss characters that would be related to the playable characters we have in the game (namely Marth and Ike).

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom