• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
Wait, is game play spoilers permitted? I thought story stuff was forbidden but gameplay stuff allowed.
My problem with most FE plots it's the same thing:

A hero of nobility with a legendary weapon must work with their friends and a rag tag bunch of recruits must defeat an evil madman terrorizing the Kingdom and sometimes continent with a dragon in there somewhere.

Only games that atleast try something different from that point was FE4 and FE9
I know I am going to be shot for this, but that's kinda the reason I liked Awakening's plot. It took the established formula and played against expectations. Like...
  • You have the obvious "Fire Emblem Hero" in Chrom, with the legendary weapon who must defeat and evil madman and kill a dragon, only for his roll as main character to diminish as the story goes on, until the very end where it has become Robin's story rather than his.
  • The plot playing out like the classic Fire Emblem story is what eventually led to the doomed Future. The heroes failed to stop the big evil threat originally.
  • The big damn hero and most important character ends up being the tactician, who was traditionally a faceless unimportant character, rather than the main Lord.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I know I am going to be shot for this, but that's kinda the reason I liked Awakening's plot. It took the established formula and played against expectations. Like...
  • You have the obvious "Fire Emblem Hero" in Chrom, with the legendary weapon who must defeat and evil madman and kill a dragon, only for his roll as main character to diminish as the story goes on, until the very end where it has become Robin's story rather than his.
  • The plot playing out like the classic Fire Emblem story is what eventually led to the doomed Future. The heroes failed to stop the big evil threat originally.
  • The big damn hero and most important character ends up being the tactician, who was traditionally a faceless unimportant character, rather than the main Lord.
I actually appreciate Awakening for that. Robin is the first time the faceless player tactician actually has a role in the plot instead of being there and useless.

Plus him actually having a good ending compared to most tacticians who got screwed over from so much hell. (Especially Mark)

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Wait, is game play spoilers permitted? I thought story stuff was forbidden but gameplay stuff allowed.
Honestly, I'd actually be on the fence about some gameplay stuff.
Supports, for example, while technicly being a gameplay thing are also one of the game's way of storytelling. So suddenly, how and which and how many characters you can support becomes kinda somewhat faintly similiar to a story spoiler.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
wait, does this apply for Nohr too? What happened to the multiple objectives?
I thought Nohr route was supposed to get more objectives. Are you sure you're not just looking at the Hoshido route?
They said diverse but I doubt it will be all that diverse. I bet there will be like 2 or 3 missions where the objective isn't to Route the Enemy or Kill the Leader. They're trying to make the game "accessible" despite them saying Nohr will harken back to old Fire Emblem games. They're not going to make Nohr totally different to Hoshido because they want to make money. Taking an approach akin to RD or PoR would alienate the Casual fans.

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
They said diverse but I doubt it will be all that diverse. I bet there will be like 2 or 3 missions where the objective isn't to Route the Enemy or Kill the Leader. They're trying to make the game "accessible" despite them saying Nohr will harken back to old Fire Emblem games. They're not going to make Nohr totally different to Hoshido because they want to make money. Taking an approach akin to RD or PoR would alienate the Casual fans.
That's what the easier difficulty option is for. To let the newer players still complete the Nohr story.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That's what the easier difficulty option is for. To let the newer players still complete the Nohr story.
That's not my point. Newer Fire Emblem fans are more akin to a more simple sort of game. They aren't going to go full out and make the Nohr side like the old Fire Emblem games because the Nohr side is still the same game. It's still Fire Emblem Fates.

This is my opinion, by the way, none of this should be considered as fact. I won't change my stance on this game because I see where it is going. It's trying to be something it's not and it's a damn shame...

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
And the derision to Fates is still less than everything Federation Force is getting.

How I envy it.

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
That's not my point. Newer Fire Emblem fans are more akin to a more simple sort of game. They aren't going to go full out and make the Nohr side like the old Fire Emblem games because the Nohr side is still the same game. It's still Fire Emblem Fates.

This is my opinion, by the way, none of this should be considered as fact. I won't change my stance on this game because I see where it is going. It's trying to be something it's not and it's a damn shame...
Well I for one am going to wait and see. Besides I can appreciate bother older style Fire Emblem and the newer ones (I started with Awakening but have been steadily making my way through the older games.)

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Hopefully we'll see through these streams how Nohr progresses, but I do agree we'll likely never see anything like PoR and RD again, which is a shame as they were fantastic games.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Looking at Fates spoilers like

These games sure are a whole lot of... something? My current headcanon is that IS is tired of making FE and they're staging a protest against Daddy Nintendo to reveal their one true desire: to develop hentai games. XP

Seriously though, wth are they thinking? Might as well have named the games FE: Polarization and FE: Censorship, 'cause the censors are gonna have a field day with these suckers during localization, and fans are already drawing lines in the sand. /sigh All I want is to have a fun yet serious adventure with my awesome F!Kamui and her cool army. Really hoping marriage, children, and My Castle stay safely optional.

On a more positive note, the avatar customization looks really good this time around.

Last edited:

Matsushi

True Blood
I'm so eager to see how the side of Nohr will be played, however I really want to remain unspoiled to experience the thrill when the game is officially released.
but I do agree we'll likely never see anything like PoR and RD again, which is a shame as they were fantastic games.
Indeed, PoR and RD were definitely my favorite games from the franchise. The world of Tellius was very intriguing, and it was generally a very fun game to play. :halfsheep:

On another note, I literally found the biggest representation of myself

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Hope I'm not advertising but I'm doing a group dedicated to fighting games. If you want an invite, just PM me

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Robin: Heyyyy, look at meee,I'm boringgg.

BANG BANG
SHOTS FIRED
:4greninja:: "Jaaaaaa, JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAAAA! ("I am not amused"):rotfl:

I wonder what the other DLC characters would say............
:4lucas:: "Ness! I'm back!" ~ I THINK ABOUT YOU! EVERY MOMENT EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE! ~
:4ryu:: "Did I just lose....... to a DOG and a DUCK?!!! That's it! I'm going back to Street Fighter where sh*t makes some sense."
:4feroy:: ~ BACKSTREETS BACK, ALL RIGHT!!!! ~ "Oh wow there's a lot more swordsmen around here than I remember."

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
:4greninja:: "Jaaaaaa, JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAAAA! ("I am not amused"):rotfl:

I wonder what the other DLC characters would say............
:4lucas:: "Ness! I'm back!" ~ I THINK ABOUT YOU! EVERY MOMENT EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE! ~
:4ryu:: "Did I just lose....... to a DOG and a DUCK?!!! That's it! I'm going back to Street Fighter where sh*t makes some sense."
:4feroy:: ~ BACKSTREETS BACK, ALL RIGHT!!!! ~ "Oh wow there's a lot more swordsmen around here than I remember."
I spit soda, I can't unsee it now.

Roy is boy-band material for sure though, that HAIR.
Go to 2:19 :')

BindingShield

Smash Journeyman
NNID
M2TheC
Roy, Ike, and Marth with Robin as the Master Manager?

Fund it!
Chrom will try out. And fail due to his daughter from the future bursting in out of nowhere and ruining his chances.

He'll have his chance... another day.

Troykv

Smash Master
Hahhahaha... Fire Emblem If... Fire Emblem Fates... How they thinks censor THIS? Hahahahaha xD

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
*Sees news about Fates*

Okay...That's really killed my enthusiasm. *Sigh*

I know. I think I'm the only one excited for Federation Forces...
I've given my own write-up in defense of the game. I understand those who are sad it isn't Metroid Prime 4, but think the outcry against Federation Force is a bit excessive.

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
So guys..umm... looks like the guess that the 3 most popular awakening first gens are going to return as expies as Hoshido 2ed gens.

For we now have Not!Gaius. They aren't even trying now.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Is it safe to enter? :scared:

As for the news I've heard, it's starting to alienate me. I was fine with the face poking, but stripping them and being able to S support siblings is too much.

I went into FE because it appealed to me as a Weird Japanese Thing, and now I feel left out because of how excessively WJT-ish it's getting. :ohwell:

You know how every long runner has a break somewhere which separates one group of fans from another? Awakening marks that break here.

:231:

TheWerdna

Smash Lord

As for the news I've heard, it's starting to alienate me. I was fine with the face poking, but stripping them and being able to S support siblings is too much.

I went into FE because it appealed to me as a Weird Japanese Thing, and now I feel left out because of how excessively WJT-ish it's getting. :ohwell:

You know how every long runner has a break somewhere which separates one group of fans from another? Awakening marks that break here.

Besides those japanesse WTF, I think the rest of the game looks great. I plan to just ignore them.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Ehh...No shot is stretching it a bit, I'd say. He has a shot at coming back, even if it's as a skin or something a la Lucina's original design. After all, right now they seem to be in their "Let's bring back all the characters!" (minus Snake) phase and he was a cut character. The problem is demand. He doesn't have a lot of it, from what I can tell, so Sakurai may or may not see the value in bringing him back.

Also, if he's in, that means Pichu's probably being brought back too (does anybody actually want him as a fighter?)
The reason they won't bring back snake is because apparently Sony is going to use him with there own Fighting game. I didn't main him, but Snake was a badass. So much fun playing with him from time to time.

@The Soulless One want to play?

BindingShield

Smash Journeyman
NNID
M2TheC
The Gameplay looks pretty solid. There have been a few interesting maps on the Hoshido Stream. (Only planning to get Nohr, so I'm not spoiling myself)

On a side note, Robin and Marth Amiibo Shipping orders for me have been confirmed. I hope I don't get a Morth or Rabon.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
So guys..umm... looks like the guess that the 3 most popular awakening first gens are going to return as expies as Hoshido 2ed gens.

I am really considering S-Supporting Harold/Arthur on the Nohr side instead of Zero...

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956

Ugh. Seriously? This stripping is bad enough, but S-Supporting Siblings? I was squicked enough when I saw that Owain could S-Support Lucina in Awakening. My interest in this game just fell quite a bit. The face touching I didn't really understand, but was ultimately "meh" on, but this? What's next? BioWare-eseque sex scenes?

Why don't we just slap the M on it and be done with it already.

I'm not opposed to marriage and sex-scenes and sexy shots of characters in video games, but I've always thought they had their places. Maybe I just wasn't expecting it out of Nintendo. I mean, look at Splatoon: notice what ink color(s) is(are) NOT there?
I'm thinking of two in particular.

Last edited:

Arc_Thunder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ichuchu

but guys he has gray hair this time! And likes salty chips:troll:

Top Bottom