• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Time to give up my main?

EarthwormSnad

Smash Rookie
NNID
will270
Hi all, first time poster here so sorry if this is in the wrong subforum or whatever.

Anyways, I came here to ask you guys if I should give up my main, at least even for a just a while. I main Mac since when I first got Smash 4, he was pretty much the only character for me that just clicked and playing aggressive with Mac is just damned fun. Lately though, it just sucks to play him. I used to have his recovery pretty much nailed down (at least as much as you can do with Mac), but over the last few weeks I have messed up so many times it's getting depressing to actually play. Not only that, but the amount of crap I get from playing as Mac is getting me down as well and it's just not fun to play the game right now. Is this because I've peaked with Mac and it's time to move on? Or just experiment with other characters? Or just time to just take a break from Smash for a bit? It'd be great to get a second opinion.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Hi all, first time poster here so sorry if this is in the wrong subforum or whatever.

Anyways, I came here to ask you guys if I should give up my main, at least even for a just a while. I main Mac since when I first got Smash 4, he was pretty much the only character for me that just clicked and playing aggressive with Mac is just damned fun. Lately though, it just sucks to play him. I used to have his recovery pretty much nailed down (at least as much as you can do with Mac), but over the last few weeks I have messed up so many times it's getting depressing to actually play. Not only that, but the amount of crap I get from playing as Mac is getting me down as well and it's just not fun to play the game right now. Is this because I've peaked with Mac and it's time to move on? Or just experiment with other characters? Or just time to just take a break from Smash for a bit? It'd be great to get a second opinion.
Really its up to you.

I was basically in the same boat as you, but I kinda moved over to play Ganon and Mac as my mains.

Also, whoever is talking smack about you because you play Mac are pure idiots. The only exception is if you are truly a scrub, which by the sounds of it, you aren't.

But its up to you. I personally recommend experimenting with another character and main that character you like + Mac.

b2jammer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
b2jammer
I feel your pain. I mained Little Mac for a while at school, but the stigma around him definitely left an impact, going so far as to people 3v1ing me in a free for all once. I wouldn't let all that crap get to you, but like CHP said, definitely pick another character to use at least as a secondary.

Also, welcome to Smashboards!

salaboB

Smash Champion
I feel your pain. I mained Little Mac for a while at school, but the stigma around him definitely left an impact, going so far as to people 3v1ing me in a free for all once. I wouldn't let all that crap get to you, but like CHP said, definitely pick another character to use at least as a secondary.

Also, welcome to Smashboards!
I can kinda understand that -- Mac in an FFA is just terrifying because of how hard he'll hit you out of nowhere.

1v1 he's definitely manageable (And I wouldn't expect people to be upset about that, unless they're just awful players that can't adapt)

EarthwormSnad

Smash Rookie
NNID
will270
Thanks for the replies, glad to know I'm not the only one who's been in this situation before. I'll try out all the other character for a while and see who I get a feel for. A lot of the character on Smash 4 feel pretty slow and clunky to me when I first tried but fingers crossed it'll start feeling more natural with practice.

And I live in the middle of nowhere, so the only people I play with on Smash are the ones on FG, but there's a good amount of hate on that anyways. Though it's not as bad as having a 3v1 against you for it, sounds painful.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Little Mac is pretty nasty while he's on the ground, but having the worst aerial game, along with one of the worst recoveries in the game, does put him at a disadvantage on stages that require him to jump around a lot. Also, let's not forget that even Little Mac isn't immune to shield-grabs.

EarthwormSnad

Smash Rookie
NNID
will270
Little Mac is pretty nasty while he's on the ground, but having the worst aerial game, along with one of the worst recoveries in the game, does put him at a disadvantage on stages that require him to jump around a lot. Also, let's not forget that even Little Mac isn't immune to shield-grabs.
This. My aerial game across all Smash games is usually pretty bad so it suits me pretty well, but guess it's time to learn how to get good.

b2jammer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
b2jammer
This. My aerial game across all Smash games is usually pretty bad so it suits me pretty well, but guess it's time to learn how to get good.
Same with my cousin. When I taught him how to play in Brawl, he would use Marth, a great aerial character, but he would almost never jump on his own, which led to Mac being a good fit for him in Sm4sh.
On the flip side, I did manage to beat two buffed Lvl. 50 amiibos with an uncustomized Mac (both in 1v1s, of course), and I'm willing to put up a YT video if anyone cares for proof.

YourFaithfulStudent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PortalSage51

Welcome to the boards EarthwormSnad!

First of all, if your not having fun you HAVE to take a break. You want to play games for FUN no matter the reason.
Maybe watch some smash (look at other characters) or pick up a game at Nintendo Club! (i just got earthbound)
You should never feel bad playing a game or feel "depressed"

But that doesn't mean give up "NEVER GIVE UP!!". It sound to me you haven't played much of the cast and put in some time and matches in, and you should! There is so much diversity! So much to study! If you ever do find one that is "ok" or "i like it" look up some guides! There are so many well made guides, ESPECIALLY smash 4 guides. To name a few of my favorites.
Lady Palutena's Guidance
*UPDATE 2* Pikmin management and more! A SSB4 guide to Olimar.

Captain Falcon: A Gentleman's Guide to Serving Justice
(and there will be more, trust me! (you might like Falcon now that i think about it)

On to people making you feel bad for playing a character, Ignore it, i know its not that easy to do that though but the best way to fight that "feeling bad" is to have fun. Fun and love for a game will over come that stuff, easy as that. Plus the guys doing this are *******s so who cares.

And my last point, if u should give up your main. It goes to my first point but let me make a 180.
Look up guides for Mac, look up combos, look up videos of professional players playing as Mac, watch some people play as Mac in ForGlory. Look for ones that talk out loud to hear the mindsets of pro mac.
(Jtails is a good ForGlory player) Go in Training and look for combos yourself. You can always improve your play and pick up some tricks!
(if you want to keep him though.)
I WOULD suggest to play other characters and really try to use them.)

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Welcome to the boards EarthwormSnad!

First off if your not having fun you HAVE to ad-least take a break. You want to play games for FUN no matter the reason.
Maybe watch some smash (look at other characters) or pick up a game at Nintendo Club! (i just got earthbound)
You should never feel bad playing a game or feel "depressed"

But that doesn't mean give up "NEVER GIVE UP!!". It sound to me you haven't played much of the cast and put in some time and games that you should! There is so much diversity! So much to study! If you ever do find one that is "ok" or "i like it"
look up some guides! There are so many well made guides, ESPECIALLY smash 4 guides. To name a few of my favorites.
Lady Palutena's Guidance
*UPDATE 2* Pikmin management and more! A SSB4 guide to Olimar.

Captain Falcon: A Gentleman's Guide to Serving Justice
(and there will be more, trust me! (you might like Falcon now that i think about it)

On to people making you feel bad for playing a character, Ignore, i know its not that easy to do that tho but the best way to fight that "feeling bad" is to have fun. Fun and love for a game will over come that stuff, easy as that. Plus the guys doing this are *******s so how cares.

And my last point, if u should give up your main. It goes to my first point but let me make a 180.
Look up guides for Mac, look up combos, look up videos of professional players playing as Mac, watch some people play as Mac in ForGlory. Look for ones that talk out loud to hear the mindsets of pro macs.
(Jtails is a good ForGlory player) Go in Training and look for combos yourself.
(if you want to keep him, but i WOULD sedgiest to play other characters and really try to use them tho)
Spotting dem spelling mistakes tho lol :p

IntriguedGamer

Smash Cadet
I would say switch to either Captain Falcon or an aggressive Mario build. Mario has good KO options and is versatile and has an ok air game and is also just a good all around choice if you want to change things up. Captain Falcon is just straight aggro and can easily destroy an unsuspecting opponent with his knee of justice and his other power moves. Just don't think you get super armor on any of his moves like Mac does. These are just some things but if you just take a break, cool down and start back again with fresh eyes you may be hitting Mac's potential (and yours) once again!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Nothing is more fun than getting crap from someone about who you play as and then beating the crap out of them with that character. I like to do that with Zelda in Smash 4 because people wrongly say she's terrible, I like to show them that they're wrong, lol.

But yeah, if you're not having fun playing as Mac, change it up. You probably just need a break. I'm taking a break from Greninja for a while (Though I probably just have to admit that I'm better with him on 3DS than Wii U).

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
I say, unless you play tournaments for money, you shouldn't drop your main. But it wouldn't hurt to learn someone else, I just recently started trying Zelda, and while she isn't exactly a great character, I'm having a lot of fun playing her.

Nem

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4264-9955-3401
Hate to just regurgitate what everyone else is saying, but I guess it can't be said enough that you should just play what you like. This is something we do for fun after all. If I feel like trying new characters out, I just pick Random and have fun. So far, I've figured out I quite like playing Falco and Sheik this way. If it's still not fun, as many have already said, take a break. Play some Virtual Console or some Mario. Always works for me. Of course, I'm just as new here as you, but have been playing casual Smash this way for years.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to tell you my honest opinion. Drop him. You might be starting to develop bad habits, and taking a long break from him can benefit you in the long run. That way when you come back to him he will be a blank slate again, augmented by your (hopefully) improved skills.

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
As someone who painfully gave up my main, it's worth it. Learn a new main and then come back to Mac and you will be a better player.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Well personally I feel like Little Mac is the "Ike" of this game. Everyone thought he was OP in the early days but he really struggles in higher level play. He's still good, but it doesn't take a whole lot to kill him. Stick with him if you like him though. I still play Roy in Melee at my locals, and Mac certainly doesn't struggle as much as he does.

Raijinken

Smash Master
He has some major recovery issues, but it's really up to you. If he's your favorite, there's no reason to drop him, but it may be worthwhile to get some secondaries.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Not only that, but the amount of crap I get from playing as Mac is getting me down as well and it's just not fun to play the game right now.
Sounds like you're playing with some really lousy players. Also, if you hate getting flack for your character choice, at least you're not a :4diddy: main. Those players (such as myself) get a lot of flack from using that character.

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
Mac's not a perfect character but he can't be reliable to be your only character, still have him but I suggest as a second option. The recovery is Mac's major problem but don't give up on him :). Just like there was a Mac in apex, have a second character. ;)

Top Bottom