• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tilt

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
For those of you who are still new-ish to competitive play, you are probably familiar with the feedback loop that comes from losing - losing makes you so upset you play worse. This is called tilt, and it is the bane of all competiive players at anything.

So what brings me here is, how do I deal with Tilt? I can't always stop playing - what if I got tilted during a tournament?

Raijinken

Smash Master
You can always stop playing. It's a matter of which will bother you more personally. The idea of giving up, or the idea of losing because you knowingly didn't play well. There are ways to rationalize both sides.

If you quit early, you save yourself the stress of trying to fight against your own mental state. Versus, you gave up because you thought you were doing badly.

If you keep going and lose, at least you tried. As opposed to being stubborn and grasping at something you probably weren't going to get anyway.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I usually find that jab beats tilt for most characters.

I'm so sorry...

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Some people play better while on tilt. If you're the kind of person that gets tunnel vision when on tilt then there's really only one thing to do , git gud.

Boomstick720

Smash Rookie
It depends on who you are playing as. Whenever I play as Ganon for example, tilt rarely affects how I play, but when I'm playing as Shulk, it completely destroys my game.

As for dealing with it, step back, give yourself a minute to think, and then resume. Diving right back in when your pissed can be a recipe for disaster.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Some people play better while on tilt. If you're the kind of person that gets tunnel vision when on tilt then there's really only one thing to do , git gud.
downvote. "Git gud" makes me livid beyond all reason.

Last edited:

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
Back when I played For Glory a lot (the 3DS days), I was extremely susceptible to tilt. I would get angry when a Little Mac or Falcon beat me, and I would start throwing random stuff out, and doing really punishable stuff. I've gotten a little better at it since then.

A good mindset to have is that if the other person beat you, they beat you with skill. They didn't "get lucky" or "cheat". They beat you fair and square. If you think of it this way, you are more likely to think about why you lost, instead of just attributing your loss to "luck".

Also, you will need to force down that feeling that the person is using and "overpowered character". If you can't beat them, you need to adapt! Figure out a better strategy, practice against that character, or maybe even pick up a new character that counters them. As of now, I only have one character I think is "overpowered" (being Rosalina). I'm still working on that... :)

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

noboruplaysgames

Smash Cadet
Back when I played For Glory a lot (the 3DS days), I was extremely susceptible to tilt. I would get angry when a Little Mac or Falcon beat me, and I would start throwing random stuff out, and doing really punishable stuff. I've gotten a little better at it since then.

A good mindset to have is that if the other person beat you, they beat you with skill. They didn't "get lucky" or "cheat". They beat you fair and square. If you think of it this way, you are more likely to think about why you lost, instead of just attributing your loss to "luck".

Also, you will need to force down that feeling that the person is using and "overpowered character". If you can't beat them, you need to adapt! Figure out a better strategy, practice against that character, or maybe even pick up a new character that counters them. As of now, I only have one character I think is "overpowered" (being Rosalina). I'm still working on that... :)

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Being on tilt really sucks. I find that when I play people in person, random elements like lag are removed so when i lose it feels a lot more fair. On for glory is where being on tilt happens pretty frequently. What I usually try to do Is listen to music or just focus on adapting as much as possible. I agree though when certain characters beat you, when you know they wouldn't in person is really frustrating lol :p.

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
Being on tilt really sucks. I find that when I play people in person, random elements like lag are removed so when i lose it feels a lot more fair. On for glory is where being on tilt happens pretty frequently. What I usually try to do Is listen to music or just focus on adapting as much as possible. I agree though when certain characters beat you, when you know they wouldn't in person is really frustrating lol :p.
I'm actually a lot better at handling tilt in person. I have almost a "fear" of offending people. That really keeps my anger down, since I don't want to offend them by yelling at them or insulting them. (That sounds kinda weird now that I type it out, lol). Over the internet however, it's so easy to rage after a match that I thought was dumb. The other person can't hear my screams. xD

Maybe it's because I mostly only play with friends (I have no easy way to get to any tournaments atm), but I seem to handle it much better in person than when I play online.

Last edited:

noboruplaysgames

Smash Cadet
I'm actually a lot better at handling tilt in person. I have almost a "fear" of offending people. That really keeps my anger down, since I don't want to offend them by yelling at them or insulting them. (That sounds kinda weird now that I type it out, lol). Over the internet however, it's so easy to rage after a match that I thought was dumb. The other person can't hear my screams. xD

Maybe it's because I mostly only play with friends (I have no easy way to get to any tournaments atm), but I seem to handle it much better in person than when I play online.
Yup I agree lol although I find myself not getting angry in general when im with others. Unless I get mad at myself for being sloppy of course lol.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Expectations are premeditated resentments.

If you expect to beat people and you don't, regardless of the reason (lag, controller, skill, etc), then you've got resentment towards yourself.

Resentment can greatly increase tilt.

I used to play FG and would get major tilt. I would play worse and get even more tilt and finally quit and claim I was never going to play again... Until the next day and I would do it all over again.

I recently joined Anther's Ladder (like 3 days ago) and I decided to change my expectations. I go in expecting to LOSE every single match, but to try and learn something new.

If I do lose, not a big deal because I was expecting it, and if I win, no tilt. I'm happy and I find myself playing better.

My 2 cents.

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
I recently joined Anther's Ladder (like 3 days ago) and I decided to change my expectations. I go in expecting to LOSE every single match, but to try and learn something new.

If I do lose, not a big deal because I was expecting it, and if I win, no tilt. I'm happy and I find myself playing better.
Everyone says Anther's is so good, but I can't even try it out...
I get lag of ~40ms online, even with a wired connection. It really throws me off. :(

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Everyone says Anther's is so good, but I can't even try it out...
I get lag of ~40ms online, even with a wired connection. It really throws me off. :(
Yeah, I've got a buddy that has a wired and has tried, but tends to have lag.

The few I've played, there was minimal lag. It was totally worth it, even after getting completely destroyed.

Top Bottom