• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS TILT, not SMASH. Circle pad pls =(

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
I know the 3DS version is just supposed to keep us at bay until the Wii U version is out, but trying to play seriously with the circle pad is infuriating at times. Dash into up smash and tilting are frequently being inputted incorrectly, I can't seem to help it no matter how carefully I input them. Is anyone else having issues with particular maneuvers? I haven't missed my Gamecube pad more than I do now :'[

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
I find it worse when the circle pad is not fully at the center yet and I end up doing a totally different move that I did not want. Use up tilt then try and charge aura sphere? Nope! Gonna be extreme speed instead and I end up darting off the stage.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I know the 3DS version is just supposed to keep us at bay until the Wii U version is out[
lol

The fact there are people who actually believe this is hilarious (and quite sad, too).

Last edited:

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Yeah I know the feeling. I use Ness and when I attempt to start an aerial combo with his dash attack, I sometimes awkwardly side smash quite the distance from my opponent and I lose the set up I had going. This is one of the many reasons I am ready for the Wii U version.

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
well my 3ds is brand new so i'm not having issues at all. maybe your circle pad is just worn down?

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Ya I have the same problem I have to delay my actions just to use a up tilt. Also throw megamans metal blades anywhere u want is harder then u wold expect.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
I feel like I'm having the opposite problem. I keep tilting when I'm trying to SMASH instead.

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
Haha, the title of the thread is exactly what I say a lot of the time while playing..

Also, "SMASH!! Not TILT!! You, stupid thing!! >.<"

Last edited:

Cho

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2392-8423
Sounds familiar
I'm having massive problems with pivot tilting/smashing... 90% of the time its a tilt - I somehow can't figure out how to controle which one I want to use - any advice on that?

pinkhairedprotagonist

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0103-9004-1386
I got the opposite problem, I have a lot of trouble doing smashes and dashes and can only tilt reliably

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Drives me crazy when I'm Marth/Lucina and I manage to break my opponent's shield and then Ftilt comes out instead of an Fsmash. It's also difficult to punish rolling too.

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
It's almost like you have to wait a second before you input anything crucial to make sure you input it very accurately. Obviously the controls are smooth on the 3DS but for particular combos and follow ups, the circle pad gets clumped up.

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
I have this issue, and online, it's even worse. I can handle a little bit of lag, and I can handle the circle pad not doing what I want, but the combination of the two is rather frustrating. And when I'm playing my Robin, I find precision to be both difficult and necessary.

Like... seriously, don't get me started on aerial smashes. I wanted to electrifry them, not awkwardly bonk them.

Rahfal

Smash Rookie
Yeah, its very frustrating because I have a hard time doing forward smashes, they usually turn out as forward tilts. Even if I purposefully push hard on it, it simply is a tilt sometimes.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
lol

The fact there are people who actually believe this is hilarious (and quite sad, too).
The fact that people are in denial that all the best tournament players will be wanting to use a real controller are the ones in denial. Nobody who is good at the game will want to play with the 3DS controller when they have an option of using a Gamecube one. If you don't notice the ridiculous gap between how well you can control the game with GC vs 3DS controller, then I hate to say it, you just aren't playing at a high level.

Yeah it's "so" sad that people want to control their characters in a competitive fighting game with a high degree of precision when money is on the line.

Even Nintendo doesn't think it will take off in tournaments. Wii U will have a gamecube adaptor, but they didn't make one for 3DS. That tells it all. Hell the Wii U one will have a GC controller BUNDLE, but the 3DS one can't be half assed to support just the circle pad pro.

Last edited:

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I agree the 3ds is not the best way to play smash, but... It gets the job done well a good chunk of the time, I actually haven't had many issues with it.

Tubbers09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tubbers09
3DS FC
4811-7028-1398
Switch FC
5712-1549-9596
I know the feeling. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 3ds version but it just makes me want the Wii U version more for the GCN controller. Congrats Nintendo your marketing plan worked!

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I often have the reverse problem, I try to do a smash attack but because I'm trying not to break my 3DS it comes out as a tilt. Honestly, they probably should have included an alternate control scheme for the 3DS version that uses 3 attack buttons, separating tilts and smashes onto separate buttons. The circle pad just isn't precise enough for this game.

Last edited:

RedbeardMetroid

Smash Rookie
Haha Same! I do it all the time!
Same here. I have a hard time pulling off Smash attacks consistently. The tilts are no problem at all. I don't want to break my circle pad so I am hesitant to slam the pad around like you can do with the Gamecube controller.

shinegreymon

Smash Rookie
Same here. I have a hard time pulling off Smash attacks consistently. The tilts are no problem at all. I don't want to break my circle pad so I am hesitant to slam the pad around like you can do with the Gamecube controller.
what I love about game cube controllers :)

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
It's obvious that the 3DS's Circle Pad isn't the most precise thing when it comes to games like Smash Bros. The only thing we can do is grit our teeth and bear with it until Smash U hits the scene.

I've gotten used to the circle pad, so I usually don't mess up anymore. On occasion I might Ftilt instead of Fsmash, but it's not near as common as it was Day 1.

CrazyChaos

Smash Cadet
The only notable problem that I experience is performing side-specials when I intend to perform up-specials. Sometimes happens with down-specials as well. And there was one notably bothersome case of performing a neutral-special when attempting to perform an up-special.
I think I just get too caught up in the game to fully realize what it is that I am actually doing, but I figured if that were the problem then I would be over it long after the demo. It is certainly less frequent now though, I suppose it probably is just me. Everything else seems fine to me though.

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I always smash when I am wanting to up tilt. It is annoying, especially since I am a Falcon player, and those smashes leave completely open to my back.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I always smash when I am wanting to up tilt. It is annoying, especially since I am a Falcon player, and those smashes leave completely open to my back.
Captain plz.

But yeah, sometimes I can't Smash consistently because I'm still learning and want to be kind to my Circle Pad

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
This has only recently started happening to me. I don't know what it is but this didn't happen to me during the demo or even when I first got the game. It could be that my circle pad is loose or something. IDK

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
This has only recently started happening to me. I don't know what it is but this didn't happen to me during the demo or even when I first got the game. It could be that my circle pad is loose or something. IDK
Could be out of alignment, have you tried recalibrating the circle pad?

Last edited:

Renanri

Smash Cadet
NNID
RuriAri
3DS FC
1049-1229-2048
lol

^
Thank you. Thank you so much.
On to the topic at hand, yeah... The circle pad can be a jerk sometimes... I HATE when you just want to tilt and then you'll smash and vice-versa, or when you don't even walk when you're trying to run. When you have very minute input lag, it gets FRUSTRATING.

Top Bottom