• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier Placement

Cook

Smash Master
What do you guys think will happen to Olimar when the next tier list comes out? I think that based on his moveset he definitely deserves to be somewhere in high tier. The only problem is that it doesn't seem like he's done too well in tournaments, which is actually kinda surprising.

Me and Fino will get first and second in a tournament this weekend, so that will help. JLO, you should use just Olimar and we'll take the top three spots. :laugh:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It doesn't really matter. The SBR takes tournament placings too far into account for me to care about the tier list.

All they see is Olimars not winning very often= not very good, but still good. I see that the Olimars that actually enter tourneys are ALWAYS placing relatively high=very good. It helps prove that popularity isn't taken into account in the tier list. Quite frankly, Olimar just isn't popular for how good he is. It's sad.

I mean, look at this recent tourney:

Atlantic North, $5 entry
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204261

Singles:
1: Mew2King (Meat Knight)
2: Inui (Snake/Akuma Knight)
3: Atomsk (Olimar/Dedede)
4: BlackWaltz (Olimar)
5: Pierce7d (Marth)
5: Umbra (Mega Knight/Wolf)
7: Vex (Game and Watch/Bowser)
7: rhyme (Samus)
9: Blue (Sonic/Meta Knight)
9: Xzax (Meta Knight)
9: Izumi (Meta Knight/Toon Link)
9: Ether (Snake)
13: Bleachigo (Meta Knight/Snake)
13: Diem (Meta Knight/Captain Falcon)
13: NinjaEdd (Falco/Diddy Kong)
13: bschung (Dedede)
17: UltimaScout (Donkey Kong)
17: Mrdc (Toon Link)
17: Chill (Diddy Kong)
17: CDT (Zero Suit Samus)
17: MIKE
17: JT706
17: Doom (Lucario/Meta Knight)
You see 2 of the top 4 using Olimar. I don't see any other Olis that entered the tourney, do you?

Fino

Smash Master
Really, it help with soul crushing. lol. zomg, I gotz beat'ded by a midz teir!!?!?!?! :O
I think his mid/low high tier, and I never see him going further than that for the time being.

~Fino

Aztec Avenger

Smash Journeyman
I say Olimar is high-high tier, because there really isn't anyone who PWNS him. Even MKs, they don't PWN Olimars, but the reason he isn't top is because of his very gimpable self.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think once people realize just how campy an Olimar can be, and how hard it really is to get past his range for more than half of the cast, I think people will give him more credit. IMO the poor priority the Pikmin have is a bigger weakness than his recovery, I think people grossly displace him on tier lists because of his recovery.

Wattage

Smash Rookie
I'm going to agree with Fino. I'm a big Oli fan but until he develops a bit more and becomes more popular I see him sitting at the low end of high tier at best unfortunately.

EDIT: I cantz speel.

Ignatious

Smash Cadet
Honestly, popularity DOES NOT affect how good a character is. I personally love Olimar, and how good he (secretly) is. Realistically, I don't see him ever hitting top tier or even the high end of high tier, due solely to gimpability.

Iron Asian

Smash Rookie
I can see him as high tier but nothing more. Personally I'm happy he's not ranked high because then more people would use him and Oli players would get less credit for being good.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Oli is a mid tier character...period...the fact that he is gimpable changes your gameplay making him very challenging for people to use...high tier characters have something that is unstopable...oli was unfortunately balanced :D

RichBrown

Smash Master
A good olimar should hardly get gimped. he should know how every character can gimp him, and how to get around it. I hardly get gimped anymore these days. I almost always save my double jump, that way I can fall for a while and line up the Uair, and then get back on the stage. If they try to attack me off the stage, WAC. I think most people don't have the patience to deal with his difficult recovery, considering almost every other character in the game can recover very easily.

While I personally want Olimar to be bottom tier so it feels better when I whoop high/top tier characters, but the fact of the matter is Olimar is a high tier character, and eventually people are gonna recognize that.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
A good olimar should hardly get gimped. he should know how every character can gimp him, and how to get around it. I hardly get gimped anymore these days. I almost always save my double jump, that way I can fall for a while and line up the Uair, and then get back on the stage. If they try to attack me off the stage, WAC. I think most people don't have the patience to deal with his difficult recovery, considering almost every other character in the game can recover very easily.

While I personally want Olimar to be bottom tier so it feels better when I whoop high/top tier characters, but the fact of the matter is Olimar is a high tier character, and eventually people are gonna recognize that.
^^^ This. Seriously he is really good, definitely not mid tier lol.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
After playing Jigglypuff for months, I switched to Olimar two weeks before my first tourny. Given it was local and only thirty people were there, I placed 6th. I played again at another local tourny with 25 people and got 3rd. I'm still surprised that Olimar is midtier, but it makes sense to people that don't use Olimar.

He isn't popular, so people haven't had matches with him. Just looking at him, he looks mid tier. Bad recovery, dying pikmen, bad recovery, low priority, bad recovery... These are things that stopped affecting me after awhile. Olimar attacks have such good hitboxes that overcoming his priority becomes second nature. His recovery doesn't feel terrible once you take into account it can be devastating onstage (But that doesn't mean it isn't bad. It's one of the worst recoveries in the game).

Fino

Smash Master
Oli is a mid tier character...period...the fact that he is gimpable changes your gameplay making him very challenging for people to use...high tier characters have something that is unstopable...oli was unfortunately balanced :D

Just because a character is 'challenging' to use, has nothing to do with a tier list. Just because you can gay with a character when you first pick him up, does not at ALL mean he's top tier.

Smash is about 2 things: Ability to KO, and ability to recover. Olimar's recovery isn't that great; however, you look at his range and its pretty hard for a LOT of the cast to get their KO moves on him. Look at his counter picks. Marth for instance, can legit kill olimar with his kill moves, due to his range and priority (tipper ftw). DDD can do **** on him though. MK has a hard time doing stuff on him, really... the ROB match up needs to be re-evaluated, because even ROB has trouble KO'ing olimar (learn to whistle). G&W does meh on him. That pretty much covers the 'best' characters in the game. Olimar's range (and size) helps him with not having to need to recover. Though is recovery is bad nonetheless.
As for KO potential... it's probably one of the best in the game. Olimar racks damage like none other, and a TON of his moves are KO moves. He doesn't have to worry about keeping them fresh (although I save usmash for 90% kills :D). He can easily take someone 0-80 in a matter of seconds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEWVGiLCLcI).

~Fino

Top Bottom