• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
Problem with that is that we will end up with an even more polarized character that gets 0 deathed by literally every character on a single mistake now but can still 0 death everyone else just fine

CORY

wut
BRoomer
fox's weaknesses: doesn't have a sword. recovery moves don't put him center stage with no end lag. shine lost invulnerability. can't literally autocombo.

didds

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who thinks sheik would be a problem if people understood how dumb her neutral game actually is?

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
Problem with that is that we will end up with an even more polarized character that gets 0 deathed by literally every character on a single mistake now but can still 0 death everyone else just fine
Sounds likes a glass cannon to me. And I definitely think people are exaggerating these polarizations just a little bit. Anyone getting "0 to death"ed as often as I hear about them need to check their DI.

Last edited:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
is the general consensus around here that sheiks neutral is nothing special?
What you're missing is that Sheik is faster than a nice chunk of the cast. In some match ups, just moving puts you in a punishment situation against Sheik. It's barely neutral at all.

didds

Smash Lord
The problem must be that lazy non thinkers are drawn to sheik so no one fights what sheik should be, we've been coaxed into false security friends! Heed my words, the ninja is not to be trusted!

Edit: in case it's unclear I don't think sheik has a bad neutral and agree with the speed statement in general

Last edited:

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
The problem must be that lazy non thinkers are drawn to sheik so no one fights what sheik should be, we've been coaxed into false security friends! Heed my words, the ninja is not to be trusted!

Edit: in case it's unclear I don't think sheik has a bad neutral and agree with the speed statement in general
I don't think she has a bad neutral but I also don't think it's crazy or anything. But I've played against her a lot in Melee.

didds

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm watching too many plup videos, but lately I've been reevaluating what sheik play should look like

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
I've been talking with my local's primary Sheik main about this for a while.

The big thing about Sheik is that while she can't zero-death low tiers with down throw anymore, her new throws are a substantial buff where the space animal matchups are concerned, which was her Achilles' heel in Melee. If Fox ever gets serious nerfs (hahahahahaha) she could easily turn into the best character in PM. The tricky thing about playing her for me is the lack of a powerful dashdance, and actual Sheik players seem to do just fine without it, so...

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I really think like half of the problems with Spacies would be gone if shine couldn't be jumped out of either on whiff, on shield, or while standing. Illogical but that would take so much defensive pressure off. When they get the hit, it just keeps on giving. You could optionally have all three and give them a chance to break their shine in exchange for taking some damage and a flinch to help avoid punishment.

I had some things to say about Sheik's place in PM but the edit didn't save it. Oh well!

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I don't think people are going to be happy with 3.6 ROB at all for real though

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
This just in:

Sheik still loses to spacies. Her punish game continue to be expounded, but she still loses neutral vs their stronger neutral and their punish games are still considered superior.

Some Marth players in Melee feel the same way about her.

Also, imo play floaties. It's a hard MU, Sheik vs floaties.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Can't you do weird crawl shenanigans and try to cut off space? You can "completely" avoid lasers and slowly take up more of the stage. From there spacies can only run up shine. This can be dash danced but they still have to be pretty close to do shine, this lets you grab/F-Tilt/something on reaction.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Sheik and Samus crawl are tools that have not been fully exploited yet. Samus in particular

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Squirtle's crawl is amazing, especially change spacing after a wave dash. I subconsciously use it so much that I try to do it with Sheik in melee...

MLGF

Smash Lord
Idk, I doubt any character will change too drastically in 3.6.

I can totally see a more easy to combo weight being really unsettling

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Correction then. I am not happy with how they handled Rob. You don't know how they handled him based on my opinion of him

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Oli felt even worse to me, but hey I only got to play a couple games as him

PoTheDragonSlayer

Smash Cadet
Correction then. I am not happy with how they handled Rob. You don't know how they handled him based on my opinion of him
Well, sometimes change, even if it's for the greater good, is received unhappily at first, as it's easy to jump to conclusions. I don't think we will know for sure until he's been tested by lots of people and have learned to adjust to the changes. How much have you tested the new ROB Ripple?

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Players who are granted the privilege of playtesting the development build, if they like that privilege, should probably keep any information they learn to themselves (being vague does not accomplish this), including the fact that they were allowed to playtest it at all. Keep Tier List Discussion on the current public build and leave speculation on the next version in the dedicated 3.6 thread please.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, you should probably shut the **** up ripple

next thing you know, someone will leak Sasuke Uchihas final smash (btw its super busted)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Tfw you ask the thread to get back on topic and the next two responses are further derailment.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
It's already leaked bruh. Kills at -30%. Broke.

It'll get there eventually sb

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
But what if I play Ripple in 3.5?

........anyway.

Thoughts on Charizard? I've been playing him more lately, seems pretty okay. Has issues with Fox and a couple others, which is something of a setback, but not so much that he can't be successful at a local/regional level I think.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
But what if I play Ripple in 3.5?
Don't.

Thoughts on Charizard? I've been playing him more lately, seems pretty okay. Has issues with Fox and a couple others, which is something of a setback, but not so much that he can't be successful at a local/regional level I think.
Zard is highly underrated IMO. His Nair was stupidly abusable in 3.0, but still very useful despite range / speed nerfs in 3.5. Tilts & jab set up great combos on spacies and keep them at bay. He ledge guards spacies easily with Nair, heat wave, flamethrower, and tilts.

If his throws were faster and/or set up for combos, he'd be better. As is, only Fthrow & Bthrow combo, but require holding in. Down throw being that Zard is large in size & slow in movement mean that he gets hit by get-up attack or they can roll away. Only flame thrower can jab reset and it has high startup. Jab can be CCd then escaped from the knockdown. Similar startup issues for Dsmash, but at least that will yield followups.

Uthrow almost always will send you offstage or at least yield positional advantage.

His range is pretty meaty and can beat out a number of characters. He's probably a solid mid-tier

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
zard is faster than marth. even when not refering to run speed, zard is pretty fast when not nairing

Last edited:

.alizarin

Smash Apprentice
-This list shows from fastest to slowest characters' top running speeds. I have not included acceleration differences. So certain characters who have the same speed may accelerate to that speed faster than another character.

1)Sonic [4.0]
2) C. Falcon [2.3]
3) Fox [2.2]
4) MK [2.1]
5) Charizard [2.07]

-This list shows from fastest to slowest characters' top walking speeds. I have not included acceleration differences. So certain characters who have the same speed may accelerate to that speed faster than another character.

1-38) everyone else
39-40) Charizard/Jigglypuff [0.7]
41) Bowser [0.65]
for future reference cause this thing is really cool: http://smashboards.com/threads/pm-3-5-stats-list-still-wip-wavedash-ranks-added.335019/

also air mobility, running jump air speed, max air speed and fast-falling speed are all faster than marth's (by varying degrees obv), jumpsquat is the same as marth's, but charizard is floatier than marth. it's in the same thread, i just don't want to copy paste and quote it all.

also i'm just using marth as a point of comparison, listing the numbers doesnt mean anything unless you know everyone else's

also lol sonic 4.0

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
Yeah, Zard is actually deceptively fast in terms of movement. He lacks somewhat for true combos but can abuse positional advantage very well due to his reach. Uthrow does 15% raw off a grab if nothing else, while the others have solid if not guaranteed followup potential.

He can waveland out of every SH aerial except nair, including horizontal wavelands (dair has to be on the first frame, fair/bair have to be on the first two frames) so getting that timing down could serve Zard players well. Nair is already kind of infamous from the 3.02 days, but bair and fair are also very strong aerials; dair has serious followup potential, comboing into everything from sideB for a whopping 42% to upB to kill people at like 100 (varies a lot by matchup of course) to another dair for ~33% and a techchase.

As for Zard's techchasing: I haven't gone full 20GX on Zard's techchasing yet, but dthrow is actually surprisingly mediocre compared to something like GnW dthrow due to substantial endlag. If the opponent falls fast enough (I don't know how fast is fast enough), bthrow might be a better option than dthrow, since you'll have the possibility of getting a true combo if they miss the DI, and the stage positioning at the tech could be more favorable.

Zard also has a kind of cool mixup on bthrow sometimes where if he goes for bthrow fair every time and the opponent is conditioned to jump out of it, he can place the fair above them and they'll jump into it. An opponent without a double jump against Zard is in a pretty scary spot.

Everyone's favorite non-Dragon dragon has some potential; I'm pretty optimistic about him.

Top Bottom