• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

steelguttey

mei is bei
yea ss is crazy good.

is he on smashboards? i think he can provide some insight considering hes probably the best oli rn

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
If you ask SS how to play Olimar he will litterally just say
"Pivot grab and up/dthrow, upsmash OoS and finish your combos."

He also has wins over OkamiBW, Machiavelli, Westballz, Probably Tai (@zman804 confirm that) and other Socal players.

Olimar has too many solid fundamental tools to use to be bad.

1FD

Smash Ace
The bottom 3 are pretty much agreed to be Jiggs, Ice Climbers, and Ganon.
The very first list I ever saw
From the player I listen to over all others
Had this as the bottom 3

Your post is the first time I've ever seen those 3 mentioned as the bottom 3 SINCE then which was like the first week of jan 2014 lol
Those 3 always linger into the bottom 3 but people always throw other things down there with them OR only list 1/2 of them or something

Since when is this an agreed thing?
If so then that's cool but I obviously haven't been lurking hard enough to see this pop up everywhere or whatever

PS also I agree lol

Also when bamsesy comes down from mountains or wherever the **** those people go I'll get him to visit me so he can use my internet like back in the day
He can hopefully drop some thoughts on this or at least tell me why he thinks it too so I can relay it here
I remember some REALLY GOOD run-downs of these characters he made and it made more sense than I could ever make lol
But I guess if everyone agrees now then he doesn't have to go over it again/anymore
And who knows whenever the **** he'll come back :(

Last edited:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Yo, bamsey. That's @Nausicaa isn't it?
Edit: that man is the truth. His stuff is spot on, so I'm not surprised he predicted the bottom three that's popping up now.

Last edited:

1FD

Smash Ace
yeah it is
I used to stalk him and @Kadano on the boards when I was all out lurking cause they both had epic posts and avatars/names from Nausicaa of the valley of the wind and it's like my favorite book
Then I moved near him and found out he was bamesy who I used to lurk even MORE years ago
And omg best decision of my life

^Also yeah soft serve basically but they like meditate or help others by cooking food and stuff so others can meditate
Then they do art and stuff then come back like they haven't missed a day playing and pwn everyone half a year after disapearing
Also I'm gonna go into the mountains JAN 7th next year and learn to do the mental techniques and practices they do. It's called Vipassana and basically everyone that ever goes says it's the best AND worst thing they ever do in their lives and just changes you for the better for life because it's like a method of not like... seeing the world differently, but a method on how you CAN see the world differently, so you can do it all the time at will or some crazy stuff.

also known as I'M SO STOKED
Smash is cool in the meantime though lol

Last edited:

1FD

Smash Ace
I'm workin on it
Must be one of the smartest monkeys on the net by now :p
And there are a LOT of monkeys

supereditlate
I totally just realized that this post and yours @ wiiztec wiiztec are like the perfect example of what I'm talking about in the previous post lol
What an epic paradox
Like... anyone who says "don't follow the metagame/be a monkey
And instead develop yourself and break ahead of it"
is like the perfect DK for other Diddy's and even other DK's, because that's all DK's are, and so DK's are DK's for each other ONLY IF THEY TEACH THIS
If you be a Diddy to a DK, a DK who tells you and helps you learn to not be a Diddy, and break ahead of the/your metagame then you become a DK for more Diddy's to evolve into DKs, and for other DK's to keep evolving.

I'm gonna edit this again cause reading that after posting sounds confusing to even me lol

A DK that teaches others how to be more like DK, is the best DK to be Diddy for. All DK's then perpetuate this DK-hood to each other, and the DK-hoodiness keeps getting more epic, and more Diddy's become DK's.

It's like when goenka says about buddah
"It was the Buddahs contribution. Whatever he taught, he practiced, and he taught only practice."
It's like the perfect analogy for smash metagames!!!

That's badass, and no wonder I love everyone so much. A bunch of crazy DK's/Diddy's to each others DK's/Diddy's all the way through life. Heck yeah! Vipassana literally translated means "As it is" and it's a practice at the experiential level to feel like your particles of your body exploding trillions of times a second moment to moment for extreme presence and crap, and it's the practice the buddah taught and practiced.
Sounds... even more badass when you use smash characters.
Also **** yeah to people like bamesy/nausicaa and all you other ****ers that I love
Perpetuate me and everyone in to DK-hoodiness/LESS MONKEYNESS forever plx <3

LOL so good being a monkey and free from it all at the same time

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The very first list I ever saw
From the player I listen to over all others
Had this as the bottom 3

Your post is the first time I've ever seen those 3 mentioned as the bottom 3 SINCE then which was like the first week of jan 2014 lol
Those 3 always linger into the bottom 3 but people always throw other things down there with them OR only list 1/2 of them or something

Since when is this an agreed thing?
If so then that's cool but I obviously haven't been lurking hard enough to see this pop up everywhere or whatever

PS also I agree lol
Good grief your posts are annoying to read. x_x

Anyways, it's pretty easy to piece together when you lurk enough threads. :p

1FD

Smash Ace
Good grief your posts are annoying to read. x_x

Anyways, it's pretty easy to piece together when you lurk enough threads. :p
Lurking is epic indeed. Wouldn't be on the path to DK-hood without it. :p
I probs ain't no DK yet, but with the main DK's basically gone (and have been) for a while, I'll do my best to fill some of that void.
If that means better posts...
:(
Then I will practice...
NO!

I will have better posts for reading from now on and forever!
:)

*super-promise

Last edited:

JUSTN

Smash Apprentice
How exactly are they being punished? It seems to me that they're winning a lot of tournaments, and their characters are still good. If you were a Melee player who mained a lower tier character (Mario, Mewtwo, Link, etc), your character probably got a lot better, so you can't complain about that.

The only people I can see that might have fallen off are Puff, Falco, and Ganon. And it's clearly not because their PM incarnation is inaccurate to Melee, these three are all pretty much dead on, it's because they're not quite versatile enough to deal with some of the new characters. I've been pushing for buffs for Puff and Ganon, but apparently it's more important for them to be like Melee than to be good.

What's to say? He says "very good vs fast-fallers, decent vs the rest of the cast". The fast-fallers are very good, so that makes a strong argument for the character being high tier overall. If you go even vs most and beat the top tiers, you're top tier.
no, it just means he's a counter-pick against them, that does not make him top tier automatically. in my opinion, Captain Falcon beats spacies in melee, but is he top tier? no, because Sheik destroys Captain Falcon and so does Marth, and since he is only a soft counter(imo) he doesn't become god tier(you see where im going with this?)

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
If you ask SS how to play Olimar he will litterally just say
"Pivot grab and up/dthrow, upsmash OoS and finish your combos."

He also has wins over OkamiBW, Machiavelli, Westballz, Probably Tai (@zman804 confirm that) and other Socal players.

Olimar has too many solid fundamental tools to use to be bad.
olimar is bottom 1 tho mirite

steelguttey

mei is bei
yea guys that CT tier list is so good why do we even need this thread thats all we're gonna need ever

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
Isn't toonlink bottom 1? Olimar comes right after toonlink
Toon Link is darn good if used properly, especially with ATG. I don't think he's bottom of the list anymore :/

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Link is top tier along with Fox and Falco.

Last edited:

Ace55

Smash Lord
no, it just means he's a counter-pick against them, that does not make him top tier automatically. in my opinion, Captain Falcon beats spacies in melee, but is he top tier? no, because Sheik destroys Captain Falcon and so does Marth, and since he is only a soft counter(imo) he doesn't become god tier(you see where im going with this?)
Falcon soft counters spacies but gets destroyed by Marth...

Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Ganondorf is the 6th most used character on the smashboards ranking.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
because every good player has a pocket ganon.

its for trolling bad players and having fun

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I have used Ganondorf in several weeklies. 30% of my moveset is DACUS.

D

Deleted member

why come up with new and interesting things when you can do what someone else figured out 8 years ago with half the effort? :^)
As someone who figured things out 8+ years ago, i give 2 thumbs up to cheating the hard work and stealing someone else's.

Downnice

Smash Rookie
Here's what I consider to be bottom tier. Though I could see Bowser and Luigi going higher.

Bottom
28. R.O.B.

29. Squirtle

30. Bowser

31. Game and Watch

32. DeDeDe

33. Luigi
King Dedede is not on the bottom IMO. He has great strengh and can move unlike most large characters.Also he has good tourney results

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
I've been looking at the Tier List I made at the beginning of the month and I think it is a great representation of what we know about PM right now, what do you guys think?

Also, if the big 5 are Charizard DDD Bowser Ganon and DK, would you agree that Charizard and DK are a step above the other 3? And if so what could PMBR do to step up the other 3's abilities?

Edit: My tier list is in the signature...

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Charizard >>>>> DK and DDD >>Bowser and Ganon

Toon Link, Samus and Peach are both a lot higher on the list than that. Sonic probably is as well. It's reasonably accurate other than that, with a few characters being overrated by 1-5 spots (MK/Lucas/Marth) and a couple others being slightly underrated.

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
When did Mewtwo fall out of the top tier? When did Metaknight jump to 2nd best?

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
Charizard >>>>> DK and DDD >>Bowser and Ganon

Toon Link, Samus and Peach are both a lot higher on the list than that. Sonic probably is as well. It's reasonably accurate other than that, with a few characters being overrated by 1-5 spots (MK/Lucas/Marth) and a couple others being slightly underrated.
That's weird. Results-wise (which matches my own opinion of the characters) it goes DDD >>>> Charizard and DK >> Bowser and Ganon

DDD is the only one that consistently seems to make top 8 when a good player is there and has the best showing at Nationals from what I can tell. Only Charizard I've seen that has done well is Metroid. The best DK players (you and Eli) also don't exclusively use him. Bowser obviously used to do better but not so much anymore. Ganon probably has the worst overall showing altho he's still underrated.

D

Deleted member

anyone who puts ganon above the worst in the game is overrating him imo

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
That's weird. Results-wise (which matches my own opinion of the characters) it goes DDD >>>> Charizard and DK >> Bowser and Ganon

DDD is the only one that consistently seems to make top 8 when a good player is there and has the best showing at Nationals from what I can tell. Only Charizard I've seen that has done well is Metroid. The best DK players (you and Eli) also don't exclusively use him. Bowser obviously used to do better but not so much anymore. Ganon probably has the worst overall showing altho he's still underrated.
Ikuzen, Oracle, Yomi and John Numbers all use the character very well, some ever better than Metroid. Zen even has the distinction of besting aMSa's Lucario in tournament. Zard has a lot of potential, is a very potent character and is not unreasonably bogged down by his large size.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Other characters are good too? Nobody wants to accept their character being bottom tier, even if the potential ceiling is way higher for characters in this game than the **** Melee ones. It's like the label of bottom tier, or bot 5, is too much for any specific mains to accept and move on with.

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
i play low tiers in every single fighting game i've ever played (point arthur in umvc3) and i know when to say that my character is bad. olimar isnt bottom five in the slightest.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Other characters are good too? Nobody wants to accept their character being bottom tier, even if the potential ceiling is way higher for characters in this game than the **** Melee ones. It's like the label of bottom tier, or bot 5, is too much for any specific mains to accept and move on with.
I accepted Charizard and Ness are trash long, long ago.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

Fly Amanita is an anomaly IMO (And he loses to textbook Fox just because of the shortcomings of his character despite being a better player than all foxes except like M2K/Mango :/), and none of the Charizards use him to his full potential ATM. I do not agree with using tournament results exclusively to determine tier placings, the metagame isn't developed enough to where we have high level players of every character yet. Taking a C-tier player using an A-tier character's results and figuring that that character is C-Tier is poor logic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom