• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

ss118

Smash Master
Squritle is easily the worst character. Ganondorf can at least attempt to mix up with his side b or space moves correctly or shield poke or something... squirtle is literally tiny.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Squirtle is short and mobile. By the laws of Smash, he can't be "that bad"

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Roy is the worst. seriously...he isn't good.

you should read inui's FB

Lazarond

Smash Apprentice
seems to me that olimar isnt that great.. i havent seen too much gameplay but my friend is trying to use him and just cant. hes says that olimar is terrible and needs some fixing.. :0

ss118

Smash Master
Squirtle is short and mobile. By the laws of Smash, he can't be "that bad"
Pichu fits this description.

Seriously, though, he lacks ways in the neutral game to gain control and establish a position. In all honesty, he loses to hitboxes. I think Reflex mentioned it earlier, and I would have used the same words even if he hadn't said it. Even if you tell me being "short and mobile" means you can't be "that bad", the fact stands that even if he isn't a bad character he is by far the worst. Even Olimar with purple pikmin and ganon with huge normals to establish control are more than anything squirtle has to offer... outside of "being small"

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That video actually kind of highlights R.O.B.'s mobility short comings. So many times an airdash aerial was shieldgrabbed. The fact that Oracle started to try and adapt to that by sidestepping on landing, a defensive option used in desperation and usually only under more dire circumstances, doesn't help.

Oracle's strong edgeguarding against a character that is prone to being edgeguarded did far more for him than R.O.B.'s mobility did. Both players knowing each other really well helps the prediction department on both ends as well.

I'm not saying he's not mobile and I don't think Level 100 is either, but rather that his signature mobility option is a lot more limited than similar ones from characters like Peach, and that his traditional mobility options are made intentionally limited to highlight his air dashes.

Air dashing is one of the best mobility options in the game. Yes he got punished for it sometimes(just like you do with any approach in the game) but he also get's a LOT from it as well, especially considering the strain on his opponents mind trying to react/predict the airdash and space accordingly. Rob can instantly cover space unlike any other character and that unique mobility trait gives him a lot of tools in the form of conditioning opponents/baiting approaches and other things. Now don't get me wrong I don't think Rob is top tier or anything lol I just think it's absurd to say he has poor mobility when it's one of his strongest traits.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I imagine that it just gets easier as more national and large regional tournaments are held. Basically tournaments that encourage traveling. It's easy to have a fairly concrete idea of many characters that have representation all over the place, but there are still far too many obscure characters to really flesh out a full list.

metroid1117

Smash Master
hey guys, I got 5th at a 60 man PM tournament going solo DDD.

and it was in the midwest/chicago, you know, where we're really good at PM and only play that now.

He's not the worst
To be fair, match-up inexperience probably played a part in your success (your set against Kels in Loser's was pretty hilarious because of that). However, I agree that D3 is definitely not the worst and, IMHO, is generally underrated.

By the way, videos of Ripple's D3 from Saturday's stream and a $1 MM against my Ike will be uploaded eventually, the former on Oro's YouTube channel and the latter on my YouTube channel.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
To be fair, match-up inexperience probably played a part in your success (your set against Kels in Loser's was pretty hilarious because of that). However, I agree that D3 is definitely not the worst and, IMHO, is generally underrated.

By the way, videos of Ripple's D3 from Saturday's stream and a $1 MM against my Ike will be uploaded eventually, the former on Oro's YouTube channel and the latter on my YouTube channel.
So what happened to that match of my IC's vs SB? :p lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Out of curiosity, who would you say is that character?

I don't think it's DDD either, and if I had to give that title to anybody I might have to lean towards Ganon, but I can't say that with much certainty at all.
probably ganondorf

Lazarond

Smash Apprentice
yes i remember ripple sitting on me a bunoh of times saturday... haha! actually that was my first streamed match ever! against ripple.. too bad i lost my first streamed match tho but fun game none the less. very strategic match :0

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
What's Ganon's worst matchup?
What's Charizard's worst matchup?

From my limited knowledge, I'm pretty sure that Charizard has matchups that are more heavily skewed not in his favor than Ganon has matchups that are not in his favor. In addition, Charizard's tough matchups are relatively common characters like fox, falco, and sheik (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know zard's full MU spread, just the gist of it). As a result, while Charizard may have an overall better matchup spread than Ganon, but in any given bracket Charizard will have a much more difficult time than Ganon will because of Charizard's bad matchups requiring Charizard to outplay their opponent more than Ganon would have to outplay his opponent. Conclusion: Despite having a better matchup spread, Charizard is less viable than Ganon.

Disclaimer: this is theorycrafting and I have close to zero tournament experience.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion

From my limited knowledge, I'm pretty sure that Charizard has matchups that are more heavily skewed not in his favor than Ganon has matchups that are not in his favor. In addition, Charizard's tough matchups are relatively common characters like fox, falco, and sheik. As a result, while Charizard may have an overall better matchup spread than Ganon, in any given bracket Charizard will have a much more difficult time than Ganon will, because of Charizard's bad matchups requiring Charizard to outplay their opponent more than Ganon would have to outplay his opponent. Conclusion: Despite having a better matchup spread, Charizard is less viable than Ganon.

Disclaimer: this is theorycrafting and I have close to zero tournament experience.
Which leads to people not maining charizard, which leads to people maining more commonly used characters, which leads to more bad matchups for charizard.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
The people who contribute to charizard's metagame aren't the ones who would quit playing the character if faced with adversity
I`m talking more about newcomers. People who just joined will look and go "Charizard isn`t a very good character to play as against the most commonly used characters, I think it would be better to main a different character that is good against commonly used characters."

NWRL

Smash Ace
I've heard thru the grapevine that a PMBR member was looking specifically at Ganon for 3.1. Buffs? QoL changes? I don't really see how they could change him without making his already strong moves way over the top.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I've heard thru the grapevine that a PMBR member was looking specifically at Ganon for 3.1. Buffs? QoL changes? I don't really see how they could change him without making his already strong moves way over the top.
the more common suggestions i've seen are something to encourage the opponent to come to you (something as simple as making a storable warlock punch or more complicated like an offense up variant) and/or a method to get around projectiles a little easier.

he already has a good punish game once he gets the read in and he has a good enough mixup game with slamjam vs. aerials/tilts (maybe slightly faster startup on aerial version? don't think that's necessary, though...). he just can't encourage you to come to him if you don't want to and he's not quite quick enough to chase you efficiently, on top of his burst mobility options being a bit telegraphed and horrendous on whiff.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
I`m talking more about newcomers. People who just joined will look and go "Charizard isn`t a very good character to play as against the most commonly used characters, I think it would be better to main a different character that is good against commonly used characters."
Some people might, but the majority of people will play what they find fun to play as, and the greatness of project m lies in the fact that the balance is close enough that the chief concern of new players is who is fun to play as, as every character is pretty viable.

Also, while charizard might not be that viable as a solo main, he'll still see plenty of tournament play as a hard counter to characters like DK

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Air dashing is one of the best mobility options in the game. Yes he got punished for it sometimes(just like you do with any approach in the game) but he also get's a LOT from it as well, especially considering the strain on his opponents mind trying to react/predict the airdash and space accordingly. Rob can instantly cover space unlike any other character and that unique mobility trait gives him a lot of tools in the form of conditioning opponents/baiting approaches and other things. Now don't get me wrong I don't think Rob is top tier or anything lol I just think it's absurd to say he has poor mobility when it's one of his strongest traits.
You can't really react to it in a realistic scenario, but I never said and never meant to imply you could. Rather, the situations where R.O.B. can reliably air dash and attack are ones that are common to reckognize.

Now, to compare anyone to Fox isn't fair since he's good at most things, but I use this comparison strictly on mobility-

R.O.B.'s shortcomings in the traditional movement game (dashdancing, shffling, et al) and telegraphed nature of his air dashes (similar to Ness's DJC, starting one immediately close to the ground means that no aerial can come out before he lands), means that he can't pick and choose his engagements as a character like Fox, or Falcon, or even Roy can.

R.O.B. can move to most areas of the stage and can stay in the air for a while, but even JCaesar himself has admitted that trying to use air dashes to bait and punish or otherwise as a key mobility and approach option proves unsuccessful, and primarily uses them to follow up during combos, edgeguard, or, most obviously, recover.

I'd say on the whole that it is a relatively weak mobility option compared to what other characters have, and the fact that it is one of his strongest traits is not a good thing.

metroid1117

Smash Master

From my limited knowledge, I'm pretty sure that Charizard has matchups that are more heavily skewed not in his favor than Ganon has matchups that are not in his favor. In addition, Charizard's tough matchups are relatively common characters like fox, falco, and sheik (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know zard's full MU spread, just the gist of it). As a result, while Charizard may have an overall better matchup spread than Ganon, but in any given bracket Charizard will have a much more difficult time than Ganon will because of Charizard's bad matchups requiring Charizard to outplay their opponent more than Ganon would have to outplay his opponent. Conclusion: Despite having a better matchup spread, Charizard is less viable than Ganon.

I think you're correct with the assumption that Charizard's worst match-ups are common top tiers like Sheik, Fox, and Falco, but I think that the match-ups (with the possible exception of Sheik, since Ganon might be able to chain grab her [I'm not sure if this carried over from Melee]) are not as bad for Charizard as they are for Ganon - Charizard's punish game is oriented towards tech chasing and juggling, whereas Ganon's punish game typically involves tech chasing and putting opponents in bad positions where they can be hit again. However, Charizard's range and speed makes him better at tech chasing than Ganon and spacies are notoriously easy to juggle, so IMHO Charizard can potentially punish spacies harder than Ganon can. In terms of the neutral game, I think Charizard has a slight edge because of his superior ground mobility and up+B OoS (which has invincibility from frames 1-4 and the hitbox comes out on frame 5, IIRC) to deal with pressure, whereas Ganon seems to rely on wavelanding for out-maneuvering opponents and shutting them out with spaced FAirs and FTilts.

Ace55

Smash Lord
From my limited knowledge, I'm pretty sure that Charizard has matchups that are more heavily skewed not in his favor than Ganon has matchups that are not in his favor. In addition, Charizard's tough matchups are relatively common characters like fox, falco, and sheik (correct me if I'm wrong,
Fox/Falco/Sheik are traditionally also horrible matchups for Ganon. Hell, I'd argue Zard has better matchups against all three of those chars than Ganon.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Gotcha. Well in that case, I'd put my money on Ganon or ROB for worst character.

Actually, despite not being the worst character at all, Olimar is so wholly uninteresting that nobody will play him and will end up being the worst character

Hipuru

Smash Rookie
The cool thing about PM is that the characters are so balanced you can main literally any char you want and with enough hard work and dedication you could make top 4 at Apex or Evo.

OMalley

Smash Cadet
while i agree that Olimar seems uninspired, i still enjoy him due to my love of the character himself. i may be biased, but i think he is by no means the worst, just takes a lot of work to learn, somewhere similar to the ice climbers. if you can't take the time to learn how to use them, they can never reach their hidden potential

MattNF

Smash Lord
the only thing ive gathered from reading this topic is that nobody has any idea what theyre talking about

not even me

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931

Ganon loses to each of those characters WORSE than Charizard has it. Ganon then also has a harder time dealing with any projectile character,

Some people might, but the majority of people will play what they find fun to play as, and the greatness of project m lies in the fact that the balance is close enough that the chief concern of new players is who is fun to play as, as every character is pretty viable.

Also, while charizard might not be that viable as a solo main, he'll still see plenty of tournament play as a hard counter to characters like DK
Why is Zard a hard counter to DK?

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
cuz nair

Because charizard performs moves that are relatively powerful but suck if he misses. However DK is kind of large and can be juggled relatively easily, so charizard can take more advantage of his own moves because he won't miss nearly as often. When I play the matchup it seems as though DK has a difficult time escaping from Charizard's range and combos and Charizard has a relatively easy time escaping from DK's setups by inturrupting things with nair or beating DK rangewise.
but then again I don't know what I'm talking about so if somebody could tell me why Charizard loses, please do so

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ok, time for my 3.0 first impressions tier list. I will say this was the hardest one by far to make and while making it I really realized how balanced the cast is. I think viability might only start to drop off around the last 2-3 characters.

That being said:

S Tier

1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Shiek
4. Wolf
5. Meta Knight
6. Diddy Kong

A Tier

7. Wario
8. Snake
9. Mario
10. Peach
11. Marth
12. Pit
13. Donkey Kong
14. Ivysaur
15. Captain Falcon
16. Lucas

B Tier

17. Zero Suit Samus
18. Link
19. Ike
20. Yoshi
21. Kirby
22. Samus
23. Jigglypuff
24. Bowser
25. ROB
26. Roy
27. Charizard
28. Mewtwo
29. Lucario
30. King DDD
31. Toon Link
32. Ness

C Tier

33. Sonic
34. Ice Climbers
35. Pikachu
36. Zelda
37. Luigi
38. Mr. Game and Watch
39. Squirtle
40. Ganondorf
41. Olimar

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't know about losing but I don't think Zard wins the matchup harder than he wins it against Ganon

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
tier list
This is probably the best tier list I've seen so far. Just out of curiosity, however, why do you rank DK above Ivy and Lucas? I've always thought of DK as a very solid mid-tier, not a high tier above placing above those two.

Also, why exactly is Luigi typically regarded as such a low-tier character? He's very mobile on the ground, has a great combo game, and possesses several good finishers. I can see his lackluster recovery being a problem, but many high tier characters also have this issue and it doesn't affect their placement too much.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This is probably the best tier list I've seen so far. Just out of curiosity, however, why do you rank DK above Ivy and Lucas? I've always thought of DK as a very solid mid-tier, not a high tier above placing above those two.

Also, why exactly is Luigi typically regarded as such a low-tier character? He's very mobile on the ground, has a great combo game, and possesses several good finishers. I can see his lackluster recovery being a problem, but many high tier characters also have this issue and it doesn't affect their placement too much.
Probably because I play with Strong Bad fairly often. I think Ivy might be above him but I think it's close. Lucas is less consistent to me than DK so I put him under.

I don't view luigi as low tier, I think he's a very viable character. Like I said, until the last 2-3 characters viability gaps are really small. I think what hurts luigi most is his range and having to commit to his mobility options more than other characters since he relies on wavedashing more than dash dancing.

Top Bottom