• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Mario's still a character that I can see in tops, but I doubt he's without his terrible Matchups. Marth was the bane of both Marios AND Docs in Melee, he still can't approach well, his hitboxes coming down are still lackluster (despite Down Air being pretty beast in a horizontal approach.), predictable (albeit high distance) recovery(though the sweetspot is too good.), and abysmal range. It's not to difficult to overcome some of these problems if you keep off the edgeguarding side, but some characters like DK, Marth, (Maybe Roy), etc can best him fairly well. :/

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Well well, it's nice to see Bowser win the grand finals.

But in reality, we're still seeing improvements and changes in the game. It isn't the final version and won't be for a while so there is a lot of room for change, whether it'd be one person moves up or down in the list and all that flabby glab stuff and stuff.

Scythe

Smash Master
Too lazy to quote on my phone but archangel said that mario can beat falco on any givEn day. Nope easily marios worst match . Pikachad himself lost to two falcos In Pools

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Too lazy to quote on my phone but archangel said that mario can beat falco on any givEn day. Nope easily marios worst match . Pikachad himself lost to two falcos In Pools
What? Your phone must auto-correct Marth into Mario. Here is my exact post.

That's not exactly the case.

Marth can beat both fox and falco on any given day but his overall game puts him at 5th were as they are 1 and 2.

I do think Mario vs Bowser is one of those style specific match-ups. kinda can go either way but...bowser is dangerous man. It's why i have him in A tier. Even though he has so many disadvantages man he's just....idk he can find a way to win and it's like..how?
So yeah, I was talking about Marth not Mario.

As someone who played both Doc and Mario for years I must say I always had more trouble with Falco and if Mario does have a difficult time vs anybody it's Falco. I think it's a MU that can be done though. I suggest anyone who is constantly plagued practice nothing but powershielding vs falco for like...a month.

esoterics

Smash Apprentice
Marth was the bane of both Marios AND Docs in Melee, he still can't approach well, his hitboxes coming down are still lackluster (despite Down Air being pretty beast in a horizontal approach.), predictable (albeit high distance) recovery(though the sweetspot is too good.), and abysmal range.
If M2K would have chose Marth vs PikaChad, he probably would have won. I'm not sure what he was thinking.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
kirk is an example of why bowser's likely not sliding down to bottom 5 any time soon

giant hitbox = giant shield = powershield funtimes

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Yeah but I think Mario's wall jump recovery is too good. He gets an overwhelming advantage when playing on certain stages compared to others.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
Despite him winning BH3, I still think Bowser is pretty bad. Call me crazy, I'm just saying.
Bowsers not terrible, because anyone can easily abuse his edgegame, I think he is still around mid tier. The main problem with bowser, that makes him worse than other slow hard hitters is his total inability to air juggle. It's difficult for bowser to land a single hit, other than just spamming upb out of shield and sliding onto the edge.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Bowser is not "pretty bad", but he is kinda just run of the mill, middle ground in terms of tier placement imo. Being around the middle in a game like this is pretty good though considering the power level of every character in relation to each other.

metroid1117

Smash Master
SO METROID HOW BOUT THAT GARBAGE MARIO WITH NO TOURNEY RESULTS

#shotsfired
I have been converted.

Fun tidbit: After Rat beat M2K on stream, I heard some Melee players muttering that Wolf was dumb because he had a zoning tool and combo game. Double standards, much?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Like never mind Falco is infinitely better at pillaring.

Never mind Falco's lasers can't clank and Wolf's can.

Never ****ing mind you can CC Wolf Shine a lot better and successfully than Falco's shine.

Never ****ing mind you can Meteor Cancel Wolf Dair but not Falco Dair.

Never god damn ****ing mind that Falco still has an overall better toolset than Wolf.

Holy ****.

20/10 master ruseman detected i am all out of useable pokemon

i hella mad

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I have been converted.

Fun tidbit: After Rat beat M2K on stream, I heard some Melee players muttering that Wolf was dumb because he had a zoning tool and combo game. Double standards, much?
Do those same people know you can completely override Wolf's lasers with attacks? Probably worst laser

People haven't taken Wolf to a "complainable" level yet. Once people consistently die from Wolf combos (with Side B as the finish probably), in situations that Fox and Falco might not have been able to follow up on as strongly, then you might hear something. Untilt then, bahahahahahahaha @ Wolf salt

Minor Pandemic

Smash Apprentice
After the end of PM grands and the Mewtwo trailer, the Melee commentary guys came on and immediately said that they think PM Bowser is clearly OP and should be toned down. It's like someone can't win a PM tourney because they are the best entrant, they can only win because of their character.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You sure they weren't joking? Scar and Toph? (I forgot the other guy's name I feel bad) were cracking jokes and having a good time throughout the day. I doubt they were serious about that. Just saying.

I'll admit, I want something about Bowser changed, but not for nerf reasons. I'd like to see the character not be so Upb reliant to keep up onstage. I feel like it's the type of move that masks or doesn't show the depth of underlying skill of the player behind it, and it's stuck on a character who will most likely be forced into using it to not get mowed down...

Minor Pandemic

Smash Apprentice
It wasn't Scar and I don't think it was Toph either. Those two came on ~30 minutes into the start of melee bracket broadcasting. There were a couple others on before that.

D

Deleted member

i agree that bowser is a little too centric to up B but i'm not sure it needs to be changed.

as far as design goes though, i think the worst designed move in the game is wolf's side B. why one move can act as combo finisher kill move projectile recovery that randomly escapes bad situations is beyond me. it doesn't look cool to me, it just acts as a reminder of why captain falcon is so linear and stupid and i wish that aspect hadn't been transferred to another character.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Despite him winning BH3, I still think Bowser is pretty bad. Call me crazy, I'm just saying.

It's not a fluke. Bowser isn't great, he's not S-tier level but I don't think it's a stretch to call him a good character. He's got heavy Armor and he can tank projectile attacks while crouching and moving forward.

I had bowser at 13 on my last list. I think it's a pretty reasonable spot.

D

Deleted member

And yet watching Hax's captain falcon is immensely entertaining.

hax is entertaining because it's basically TAS tech skill, not because i expect new strategic variations in CFs play lol

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
If Mario's recovery were to see a nerf, I'd just give it it's Melee walljump timing back. Perhaps a less ridiculous hitbox on the hand, and more proportional animations would do good as well. As for Falcon.....whoo boy. He feels like he was Sonic all this time, the way he just runs of like the "Boiling Man-Sauce", entity he is. I just really have learned to hate Falcon fights, and I just don't get that awesome power surge so many yearn for when they play him. It feels like nothing more than grab, down air, dash dance, neutral air, up air, back air, and knees. This may seem like a good list of moves, but most of his evasion, and defense in general, is just dashing around, and these moves make combos feel run of the mill to me. : /
(Just Do It from Kjab is still a good watch though, I don't know why.)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'll still hold true that Mario's up-b wall jump recovery is stupid.
Used to love it, but I think the shear tilt it causes in simply picking stages like GHZ and CV makes it way too overbearing. Mario's got a solid if not predictable recovery as is which is fine. I don't think he needs such a ridiculously helpful tool.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If Mario's recovery were to see a nerf, I'd just give it it's Melee walljump timing back. Perhaps a less ridiculous hitbox on the hand, and more proportional animations would do good as well.
The actual timing doesn't seem much different than Melee. What is different however, is that you don't have to be hugging the wall already when starting Upb. In Melee, after either version 1.0 or 1.1, they made it harder to Upb Walljump. You had to be touching the wall and iirc also angle the Upb into the stage. Project M Mario can start Upb far away from the stage, barely touch a wall, and walljump from there.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I have been converted.

the melee community is hilarious sometimes, but in a very sad way

I once got snapped at for trash talking a Falco who was doing the usual Falco bull**** that they can all do lol

because Falco is sexy or something

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
The actual timing doesn't seem much different than Melee. What is different however, is that you don't have to be hugging the wall already when starting Upb. In Melee, after either version 1.0 or 1.1, they made it harder to Upb Walljump. You had to be touching the wall and iirc also angle the Upb into the stage. Project M Mario can start Upb far away from the stage, barely touch a wall, and walljump from there.
Really? It always seemed harder to me in Melee. Anyways, I just don't like how Mario gets such an overwhelming unbalanced buff when choosing some stages and how when someone's grabbing the edge, if he's close enough, he can just wall jump of the ledge. Mario already has cape, tornado, mid-weight, and fireballs to help his recovery. I think his wall-jump out of up-b needs to be harder to do.

I have been converted.

Well, it is in that sort of tournament setting where everyone's excited and nervous so some people are prone to saying things without thinking things through sometimes. Plus, some haven't really seen/experienced PM before, so I would think its kind of normal to hear some of them say something ignorant. I mean I doubt people like M2K, Leffen, or Hungrybox would say that kind of stuff. Okay, maybe Leffen.

Top Bottom