• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Rather than autosnapping to edges, Melee tethers go straight until they reach their max length or hit a wall. If they hit a wall you,'ll latch onto it and hang on until you press a button, at which point you'll do a jump similar to how you do now if the edge is occupied when you tether. You can also tether directly to the edge but ONLY if you are high enough for your tether to travel straight horizontally to the edge. There's also a brief travel time for the tip of the tether instead of it autosnapping. Differences basically are, you don't usually get the edge for free if nobody is on it, you have more flexibility in locations you can tether, and your jump is less laggy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZKkLuL60Lw
Woulda picked a different samus but Sung uses it a lot

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
You can also do cool things like low tether>walljump>double jump>waveland on stage, axe does it quite a bit with Young Link.

Like DF said, they are more flexible in how they allow recoveries, but have some drawbacks.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
The best part about the melee tethers was that they took more skill and were balanced option for recovery. It's a pretty hard thing to complain about being broken or bad.

D

Deleted member

Melee tethers were actually really properly designed. It's sad that we can't put them in PM, or at least we won't figure out how to for a VERY long time.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Clearly Sopo is OP.

One day I'll prove IC's aren't worthless.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I don't even care if Ic's dont have chaingrab combos or whatever, the fact that their are 2 of them means that they can do ridiculous shield pressure and follow ups, which is ****ing awesome in my book.

Last edited:

The Baron

Smash Apprentice
Rather than autosnapping to edges, Melee tethers go straight until they reach their max length or hit a wall. If they hit a wall you,'ll latch onto it and hang on until you press a button, at which point you'll do a jump similar to how you do now if the edge is occupied when you tether. You can also tether directly to the edge but ONLY if you are high enough for your tether to travel straight horizontally to the edge. There's also a brief travel time for the tip of the tether instead of it autosnapping. Differences basically are, you don't usually get the edge for free if nobody is on it, you have more flexibility in locations you can tether, and your jump is less laggy.
Wow, that's actually pretty cool

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Guys I still think Sonic might be kinda bad, which sounds totally ludicrous given his DD and everything, but it doesn't feel meaningfully better than Falcon's, and all his options out of it are basically strictly way worse.

Still can't be really sure, will have to play with him a bunch more to figure it out, but jesus it really sucks to have every one of your moves beaten by, like, luigi's dtilt

MLGF

Smash Lord
He may be worse then Falcon, I may admit that, but **** if that means he's bad.

JOE!

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZKkLuL60Lw
Woulda picked a different samus but Sung uses it a lot
Just saying, the 1st minute of that commentary is pretty much why PM exists

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Guys I still think Sonic might be kinda bad, which sounds totally ludicrous given his DD and everything, but it doesn't feel meaningfully better than Falcon's, and all his options out of it are basically strictly way worse.

Still can't be really sure, will have to play with him a bunch more to figure it out, but jesus it really sucks to have every one of your moves beaten by, like, luigi's dtilt
His dash attack is pretty fast, so that option has advantages that Falcon hasn't. One really quick move can sometimes help. Rangewise Sonic can have problems though, at least compared to Falcon.

By the way, I really like your Bowser videos you uploaded on PMDepot. Until then I only thought of you as an Ivysaur-hater lol

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
@ Hylian Hylian Maybe they wont be useless once you finally fix dem momentum glitches or whatever it is

Then again, ICs are broken in like every edition of PM so far

So they'll prolly still be useless

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
@ Hylian Hylian Maybe they wont be useless once you finally fix dem momentum glitches or whatever it is

Then again, ICs are broken in like every edition of PM so far

So they'll prolly still be useless
It's fixed x.x. We just need to release the bug patch. You have no idea how badly I want that patch released lmao.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wait, the 1 frame momentum delay thingy?
No, Ice Climbers have inverted momentum when they turn around which as you can imagine causes all sorts of problems.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I thought the pivot glitch was really cool
You can pivot ftilt as a spacing option and it looks swag

Frost | Odds

His dash attack is pretty fast, so that option has advantages that Falcon hasn't. One really quick move can sometimes help. Rangewise Sonic can have problems though, at least compared to Falcon.

By the way, I really like your Bowser videos you uploaded on PMDepot. Until then I only thought of you as an Ivysaur-hater lol
Thanks!

I don't hate Ivysaur, I was just vocal about her design in 3.02 because of how ridiculously polarizing she was, and nobody else was really stepping up to the plate.

Now she's been overnerfed if anything, but the design is much better. I look forward to Ivy buffs in 4.0.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Sonic and Falcon are different enough outside of neutral that it's not totally fair to consider him inferior. Some things he does better, some things worse. I would actually probably prefer Sonic over Falcon competitively, if somehow Falcon wasn't cooler or if he neglected his 12 pack ab workout and showed up with like 6.5 abs (how do you even do that)

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Dunno man, Sonic is such a special, incredibly perfect kind of uncool that he basically loops back around into coolness via the fact that in order to play him you need to give absolutely zero ****s, or just be so completely oblivious that you won't detect the abuse that'll be heaped on you anyway.

IT'S

NO

USE

... Anyway, I have way more luck playing a really campy game in general and using Ftilt out of run to out-space opponents, than I do playing the expected bait and punish games, or trying to use his specials basically at all. As fast as Sonic's stuff mostly comes out, it's not really fast enough (in conjunction with his terrible range) to punish most characters' basic zoning moves. If you go in to punish an ftilt, you're just gonna get hit by the next one. Playing against someone like ROB or Marth is incredibly frustrating, because Sonic's character archetype theoretically crushes them, but he gets totally hosed in practice.

Top Bottom