• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'd argue the same for preemptively placing veterans above new characters under the assumption that the new characters don't have what it takes.

My list and opinions of characters are malleable, and over 2.1 a lot of characters shifted quite dramatically. Just don't jump the gun and think this is some stubborn or adamant list that's going to remain like this forever.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Might as well put my thoughts on the tier list in here as well ;)

Very Likely to Win Tournaments Tier
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Ike
4. Sonic
5. Lucario

Likely to win tournaments tier
6. Marth
7. Falcon
8. Ganon
9. Pit
10.Peach
11. Diddy Kong
12. Sheik
13. Puff

Probably Can Win Tournaments Tier
14. Charizard
15. Bowser
16. Ivysaur
17. Snake
18. Zelda
19. ZSS
20. Squirtle
21. Wario

Unlikely to Win Tournaments Tier
22. Donkey Kong
23. Luigi
24. ROB
25. Mario
26. Pikachu
27. Wolf
28. Link
29. Toon Link

Highly Unlikely to win Tournaments Tier
30. Ness
31. Lucas
32. King Dedede
33. Mr. Game & Watch

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
How Marth and Peach compare now has nothing to do with their overall match-ups and odds of winning a tournament. The issue everyone takes with you is simply that for all of her Buffs Peach gained alot of difficult matches some of which Marth does better in or even dominates. you seem to put melee characters in place as if it's still melee, then for characters like Marth and Falcon you seem to realize there are new characters and you put them all above them as if you are calculating different lists at the same time. I like the general idea of your list, I think Fox, Falco, Shielda is correct but everything else is up for debate, somethings highly debatable.

To put it another way. As someone who main's Marth in melee and 2nd's him in this game....I'm 100% better than ZSS, Charizard, Toon link, Wolf, and Pikachu. Both overall and vs these characters he wins. Also, He consider he himself still goes about even with/possibly beats Peach, Spacies(slightly easier but still even), Mario, Zelda, Sheik(no dthrow and brawl shields combined with Marth buffs evens this match up), Link, Lucas(still free edgeguards),and Snake. The only real difficult match of all the ones you placed above Marth is DDD simply because he has good recovery and he wins the grab-range and general range game vs Marth and he's got projectiles. It's a tough fight for Marth. Other than that he at least is even with or beats everyone you placed above him...so how are they above him? He also does just as good or better again people placed above them or below them....so it doesn't make sense to place him there at all from my standpoint.

on another note..Ironically I agree with your placement of Pit for once. LOL

V-K

Smash Ace
@Blackgold
LOL no character is unlikely to win a tournament, especially not Ness and King Dedede. Also Falcon is way too high on that list, he is just as bad as he was in Melee.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
@Blackgold
LOL no character is unlikely to win a tournament, especially not Ness and King Dedede. Also Falcon is way too high on that list, he is just as bad as he was in Melee.
There are good Falcon players over here. Falcon placed well in the biggest 2.1 tournament FC making top 8. I'm sure all of our current top Falcons in melee like s2j, Hax, Scar...etc are capable of winning a tournament.

With that said, I don't think he's 7th. I also think Mario and Pikachu should be up 1 section.

V-K

Smash Ace
There are good Falcon players over here. Falcon placed well in the biggest 2.1 tournament FC making top 8. I'm sure all of our current top Falcons in melee like s2j, Hax, Scar...etc are capable of winning a tournament.

With that said, I don't think he's 7th. I also think Mario and Pikachu should be up 1 section.
I didn't mean he was one of the bad characters in Melee, I meant he has still the same issues that put him below Shiek, Fox and Falco. In PM though other characters (like DK and Ganon) have become much stronger while he is pretty much the same.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
This thread is very, very silly.

Although I am interested in seeing a compilation of various tier lists from everyone all in the same place, maybe then y'all could some it up together into one big one.

Do one of those each week and it'll be kinda cool how the chars change over time.

Also it'll let me chose the chars people think are bad but are actually super good to play :3

D

Deleted member

Do one of those each week and it'll be kinda cool how the chars change over time.
Also it'll let me chose the chars people think are bad but are actually super good to play :3
I've made 4 averaged lists today. Once a week isn't dedication.
Main G&W then.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
IMO G&W is bottom tier, he is Melee G&W with a bigger shield, Lcancels on nair, Bair and Uair and a "better" up b, aside from that he is pretty much the same (Most of the other changes are pretty small, almost useless.)

For the record, his Melee Uair with Lcancel would be better than the current one.

EDIT: PMBR should try to imitate what SD Remix did with G&W, that G&W, without being broken, is sweet and really good.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
[collapse="Here's my List"][glow]Stier[/glow]1 :fox: :falco: :sheik:
2 :lucario: :jigglypuff: :mario2:
[glow]Atier[/glow]3 :ike: :marth: :pit: :diddy:
4 :ganondorf: :peach: :falcon: :snake: :link2:
[glow]Btier[/glow]5 :wolf: :warioc: :zerosuitsamus:
6 :toonlink: :bowser2: :sonic: :lucas: :ivysaur:
[glow]Ctier[/glow]7 :dk2: :rob: :charizard: :pikachu2:
8 :luigi2: :zelda: :dedede: :ness2: :squirtle: :gw:

[/collapse]
Something like this I guess. I dunno, I'd certainly like to play some more before solidifying this, but I guess we all feel that way.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
IMO G&W is bottom tier, he is Melee G&W with a bigger shield, Lcancels on nair, Bair and Uair and a "better" up b, aside from that he is pretty much the same (Most of the other changes are pretty small, almost useless.)

For the record, his Melee Uair with Lcancel would be better than the current one.

EDIT: PMBR should try to imitate what SD Remix did with G&W, that G&W, without being broken, is sweet and really good.
Erm you forgot his most important buff, the bacon land-cancel...

D

Deleted member

Now with 8 lists averaged!
[Collapse="Demo 2.5 Averages(outliers excluded)"]

[/collapse]
[Collapse="Demo 2.5 Averages"]

[/collapse]
Which list does everybody like better?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey look Lucas is next to Pikachu!

Like he almost is in the Japanese brawl TL. :O

What happened with Ness?? @.@ Does he still have GR issues or something?

/doesn't play project M but is interested in this

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
No he's just Ness. Being in the bottom isn't really even that bad, in this game. The bottom tiers in this game are like, more usable than mid tiers in Brawl for sure.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion

S

1. Fox :fox:
2. Falco :falco:
3. Sheik :sheik:
4. Mario :mario2:

A+

5. Jigglypuff :jigglypuff:
6. Marth :marth:
7. Lucario :lucario:
8. Ike :ike:

A

9. Pit :pit:
10. Link :link2:
11. Peach :peach:
12. Captain Falcon :falcon:
13. Ganondorf :ganondorf:

B+

14. Wolf :wolf:
15. Zelda :zelda:
16. Pikachu :pikachu2:
17. Lucas :lucas:
18. Diddy Kong :diddy:
19. Ivysaur :ivysaur:
20. Squirtle :squirtle:

B

21. Snake :snake:
22. Ness :ness2:
23. Sonic :sonic:
24. Zero Suit Samus :zerosuitsamus:
25. R.O.B. :rob:

C+

26. Charizard :charizard:
27. Bowser :bowser2:
28. Toon Link :toonlink:
29. Luigi :luigi2:

C

30. Mr. Game & Watch :gw:
31. Wario :wario:
32. King Dedede :dedede:

This is imo
You're missing Donkey Kong.

Also, since MCO has averaged them recently, I will just hold the data. I'll cover for him on averaging if he doesn't get to it ever. Putting the image in the first post.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion

I kind of want to test something. Somewhat along the lines of SHeLL's idea. Do this in addition to posting normal tier lists. This is just sort of to hone in on some stuff.

Order shouldn't matter as it's just frequency of when each char shows up.

From the following characters, which do you think are in the top 8:
Fox :fox:
Falco :falco:
Sheik :sheik:
Lucario :lucario:
Jigglypuff :jigglypuff:
Mario :mario2:
Peach :peach:
Marth :marth:
Ike :ike:
Pit :pit:
Diddy :diddy:
Link :link2:
Ganondorf :ganondorf:
Captain Falcon :falcon:
Snake :snake:
Wolf :wolf:

MCO, feel free to take data for this as well, though I will be doing as such. For the time being though, don't worry about showing the data for this poll until about 10 people have contributed.

@MCO - If you'd like my data...

Fox
Falco
Mario
Peach
Sheik
Marth
Puff
Pit

D

Deleted member

I kind of want to test something. Somewhat along the lines of SHeLL's idea. Do this in addition to posting normal tier lists. This is just sort of to hone in on some stuff.

Order shouldn't matter as it's just frequency of when each char shows up.

From the following characters, which do you think are in the top 8:
Sheik :sheik:
Lucario :lucario:
Jigglypuff :jigglypuff:
Ike :ike:
Link :link2:
Ganondorf :ganondorf:
Captain Falcon :falcon:
Snake :snake:
Wolf :wolf:
Cool idea, the more approaches the better!
I'll let you handle this, just make sure to post your results cause I am curious to see.
Also, I noticed that you posted the non-modified version of the tier list. Is this the one we prefer? I am interested to see how this test compares to the tier list I made without outliers.
[collapse="My top 8"]
:fox: :falco: :sheik: :mario2: :jigglypuff: :lucario: :marth: :ike:
[/collapse]

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
top 8

Sheida :sheik::zelda:

Right below that I have Link, Cario and Ike....idk Honestly doing a top 8 is too difficult at this point....not sure if that's a bad thing though.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

S

1. Fox :fox:
2. Falco :falco:
3. Sheik :sheik:
4. Mario :mario2:

A+

5. Jigglypuff :jigglypuff:
6. Marth :marth:
7. Lucario :lucario:
8. Link :link2:

A

9. Ike :ike:
10. Pit :pit:
11. Peach :peach:
12. Captain Falcon :falcon:
13. Ganondorf :ganondorf:

B+

14. Wolf :wolf:
15. Zelda :zelda:
16. Pikachu :pikachu2:
17. Lucas :lucas:
18. Diddy Kong :diddy:
19. Ivysaur :ivysaur:
20. Squirtle :squirtle:

B

21. Snake :snake:
22. Donkey Kong :dk2:
23. Ness :ness2:
24. Sonic :sonic:
25. Zero Suit Samus :zerosuitsamus:
26. R.O.B. :rob:

C+

27. Charizard :charizard:
28. Luigi :luigi2:
29. Toon Link :toonlink:
30. Bowser :bowser2:

C

31. Mr. Game & Watch :gw:
32. Wario :wario:
33. King Dedede :dedede:

This is imo
Added DK and moved Bowser down a bit.

This also shows you my Top 8 with the two characters that might also contend for Top 8 (Pit & Link)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
To be fair, Ivysaur has better combo ability than Samus, along with Solar Beam and Power Whip for finishers, so she's not a slouch in that department.
True, true, but Ivy also has a much worse recovery and is MUCH lighter. She also doesn't have poking options that are as safe as Samus' and personally, I find her edgeguarding to be worse too, but that last one is probably just me.

Edit: Oh, you already said some of this.

Regardless, Ivy's defensive playstyle makes her quite vulnerable in the P:M environment. At least Samus has high survivabity. Does anybody know what Ivy's weight is?
From what I remember, Ivy's weight is around Mario's weight, which I guess is 'average'.

TheDevicer

Smash Cadet
Ivy's recovery isn't bad. Up and down air give her room for mixups and she can spam dAir to float her along. I don't think she's stellar, but she definitely isn't a bad character.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Hey don't remove outliers they will remove themselves through dilution in the sample data and heck those outliers could be even proven correct.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Have they posted a changelist from 2.1 to 2.5 yet? The raw data of it would definitely help us understand how characters have changed on the theoretical tier list. (Lucario seems to have gone down and G&W has improved substantially)

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Cool idea, the more approaches the better!
I'll let you handle this, just make sure to post your results cause I am curious to see.
Also, I noticed that you posted the non-modified version of the tier list. Is this the one we prefer? I am interested to see how this test compares to the tier list I made without outliers.
[collapse="My top 8"]
:fox: :falco: :sheik: :mario2: :jigglypuff: :lucario: :marth: :ike:
[/collapse]
You're right. I kind of do like this one better:

Well, next time around we'll take out outliers. For the time being going with the other one so not to exclude anyone's data (I guess).

Zef

Smash Ace
You're right. I kind of do like this one better:

Well, next time around we'll take out outliers. For the time being going with the other one so not to exclude anyone's data (I guess).
WHAT
why is ivysaur, diddy and squirtle so low? and even wario?
nobueno

Top Bottom