• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Mewtwo says
Uthrow regrab Uthrow FJ fair regrab Uthrow Uair uair uair offstage.
Or HC fair>HC fair>HC fair>HC fair fsmash

Marth says
Uthrow chain grab>uthrow utilt>uthrow fsmash tipper

MK says
Usmash Usmash Usmash Up B Glide Attack
Or spam tech chase grab

Falco says
Pillar komboz.

Need I say more? Also, each character has likely more than one guaranteed combo on space animals, but I only listed Mewtwo because Mewtwo is the character I'm most familiar with.
I have yet to see any of that actually happen.

0-death is solely a lab thing and rarely happens in actual practice.

"Lab" stuff means absolute shtako to me until I see it put into practice.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I have yet to see any of that actually happen.

0-death is solely a lab thing and rarely happens in actual practice.

"Lab" stuff means absolute shtako to me until I see it put into practice.
Mew2King.
You know him?

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I'm sorry, I just can't take it anymore. Stop ******** about Mario's recovery. If you play a character with a ZOMG BORKED RECOVERY!!!PM!!1 and you park your ass onstage instead of going out to intercept Mario's slow as ****, perfectly interceptable Down-B, then that's entirely on you. The distances he can cover mean jack if you never let him come near the stage/make him eat a chunk of damage every time he tries to come back. His recovery is no worse than Snake's.

Bleck

Smash Master
I could understand that mentality. So then what would be an acceptable frame for it to come out at in your opinion? Because honestly losing the jc aspect of shine would make the spacies lose a lot of appeal.
I think frame 1 is fine if the move can't be jump canceled, and if it can, it has to be at least a few frames later (Brawl had it at 6 frames, if I recall).

Consider it this way; if it can't be jump-canceled, it can only really be used defensively. If it can be jump-canceled, but the hitbox comes out later, then it can't be used defensively, 'cause it won't reliably outspeed every other move in the game, forcing people to only use it for offensive purposes. However, losing that speed may also mean that it's just plain not as reliable as a way to setup omnidirectionally, while also sacrificing the defensive aspect.

I think the only reasonable course of action regarding Fox' reflector would be to make it so you can no longer jump-cancel it. (But that'll never happen, 'cause muh melee)

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Who in the world is using down b close enough to the stage for you to punish lol. A smart mario would be using that first in his recovery, then fireballs, and then he'd have his choice between his cape, a double jump, an immediate up b, up b wall jump, regular wall jump into whatever, and so on and so forth. Snake's and mario's recovery are not in the slightest comparable.

And Bleck I'll comment on your post in a sec, I'll need a moment to collect my thoughts.

D

Deleted member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Zelda is definitely the worst design. Somehow Zelda came out worse than Sonic, Ice Climbers, and Olimar, which is mind-blowing.

I'm sorry, I just can't take it anymore. Stop *****ing about Mario's recovery. If you play a character with a ZOMG BORKED RECOVERY!!!PM!!1 and you park your *** onstage instead of going out to intercept Mario's slow as ****, perfectly interceptable Down-B, then that's entirely on you. The distances he can cover mean jack if you never let him come near the stage/make him eat a chunk of damage every time he tries to come back. His recovery is no worse than Snake's.
Mario's recovery has a down B and cape to net him extra distance, fireballs to cover it, a good combo weight to avoid combos out of the edge guard (it happens), his up b beats everything, and wall jump out of it that refreshes up b's ability to stuff out anything. some characters can deal with it, but a lot of characters just can't edge guard mario, and dat niga ALWAYS makes it back. his recovery is substantially worse than snake's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Mario is highly overrated in this game. He is very good though but not a top ten character. High tier at best. I'd trade his very good recovery for better range any day.
I was thinking they should do this for the next demo + is buff and - is nerf.
-Can no longer wall jump out of up b
-Fireballs do 6% damage or are reverted to being only slightly faster then Melee timing (2 frames instead of 7) so they are still good but not dumb.
+Up B has 70 base knockback but reduced from 140 to 100 growth to make it a better defensive option.
+Very slight range increase on normals, (not huge range buffs, small).
Mario's main problem in Melee were his kill moves were unreliable and hard to land/combo into and abysmal range.
Also the only nerfs Mewtwo needs is his weight to be decreased and a slightly less safe teleport.
Here's what I'd do.
-Weight reduced to 87, Mewtwo lives a little too long considering his recovery and safe normals.
-Can't hover out of teleport or teleport has either slightly more start up or endlag to make it less safe.
To compensate
+ Disable should be drastically faster with little to no cooldown.
+ Dair should be slightly faster (maybe by 5 frames).

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
People sleep on Sheik because of her lack of representation.
If MD/VA had a Sheik player of note instead of 83945 Diddy players people would see that her basic playstyle is still incredibly effective despite a less lopsided punishment game on much of the cast (Xanadu being as popular as it is seems to drive people's opinions FAR too much). She might not get CG's anymore (okay real talk though, why the **** is Sheik's CG gone but then other characters are given equally stupid CG's and w/e on large chunks of the cast) but her ability to progressively invalidate your options in the neutral is still there. And all the buffed recoveries doesn't mean too much to Sheik with exceptions like Pit.
Sheik is the 5th most used character in Project M tournaments.

D

Deleted member

I think mario already has enough range. basically if i was going to neuter mario i would remove his downthrow CG (and ganon's), make fireballs slower so you can't have no lag on SH fireball or FJ fireball into waveland, and probably just stop there. mario has a lot of ridiculous assets like his dair range, anything > fair combo @ 100%, some of the best edge guarding in the game, etc. but frankly i think it's cool that mario is a top tier character for once. but for all his other goodness, fireball is way too safe in general but especially for conversions, and downthrow CGs are just busted.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I think mario already has enough range. basically if i was going to neuter mario i would remove his downthrow CG (and ganon's), make fireballs slower so you can't have no lag on SH fireball or FJ fireball into waveland, and probably just stop there. mario has a lot of ridiculous assets like his dair range, anything > fair combo @ 100%, some of the best edge guarding in the game, etc. but frankly i think it's cool that mario is a top tier character for once. but for all his other goodness, fireball is way too safe in general but especially for conversions, and downthrow CGs are just busted.
Those are drastic nerfs and would change his metagame way too much.
Sheik is the 5th most used character in Project M tournaments.
Yeah. She's still an extremely viable character. Lots of fun to use as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Zelda is definitely the worst design. Somehow Zelda came out worse than Sonic, Ice Climbers, and Olimar, which is mind-blowing
No, what's mind blowing is that you think that. The reason you think she is designed poorly is because of the way you personally play her, which is not the way she is optimally played, and the people you play against let you get away with that for some reason.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
plz no

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Ganon needs to be made a good enough character on his own for his DThrow CG to be removed.

D

Deleted member

No, what's mind blowing is that you think that. The reason you think she is designed poorly is because of the way you personally play her, which is not the way she is optimally played, and the people you play against let you get away with that for some reason.
right, because letting someone control the entire stage at the minimal cost of having to negotiate din's fire is definitely the optimal strategy in a game based on positioning.

0/10.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
right, because letting someone control the entire stage at the minimal cost of having to negotiate din's fire is definitely the optimal strategy in a game based on positioning.

0/10.
Dins fire isn't 100% safe. If you see her throw it out it has enough start up that almost anyone can run up an either grab, smack her, bait out Nayru, or run up to her and bait out a roll. Sure if you give her enough space she can set them up but that's the player's fault, not Zelda's.

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Those are drastic nerfs and would change his metagame way too much..
What? If anything that was the most forgiving suggestion for nerfs to mario I've ever seen. Those changes honestly wouldn't change mario too much, it would just encourage more thoughtful usage with his fireballs, and same with down throw chain grab. It just promotes more thoughtful follow ups from it. Mario would still definitely be mario, you'd just have to think a little more in your playstyle in this scenario.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Dins fire is not usually safe. I play Zhime, therefore my credibility > everyone else's on this point.

Also fox's lasers are way way way way way way way way way way way more safe.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dins fire is not usually safe. I play Zhime, therefore my credibility > everyone else's on this point.

yeah thats why i don't think zelda should sit back and camp all match. apparently all of the zelda players disagree with me.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace

This.
What? If anything that was the most forgiving suggestion for nerfs to mario I've ever seen. Those changes honestly wouldn't change mario too much, it would just encourage more thoughtful usage with his fireballs, and same with down throw chain grab. It just promotes more thoughtful follow ups from it. Mario would still definitely be mario, you'd just have to think a little more in your playstyle in this scenario.
He'd have to get a pretty good buff to compensate for losing one of the best throws in the game considering his bad grab range. It doesn't even change grab most characters, just heavy weights and fast fallers which is fine. They already increased the growth on it in 2.6 so it's fine. I already suggested for fireballs either changing the timing to be only 1 or 2 frames faster or reducing their damage to 5 or six. Thing is YOU DO need to use fireballs thoughtfully and aim them correctly against the good players because they will punish you for spamming them. You can watch any high level Mario play and see that fireballs aren't spammed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suFABY-3xjg Do you see Boss spamming in this vid? NO because he isn't stupid and knows if he fireballs in the wrong place he'll get punished. Instead he aims them and then follows up when he feels it is safe.
Another difference.
Here are two high/top level players. These are the type of videos the PMBR should be watching for the metagame and should determine whether or not something should get nerfed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fml_xxCmMWk
Now here we have two mid level players. You'll see a huge difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k_W2ngusAI

Last edited:

Gust14

Smash Apprentice
I dont like zelda's design either, she feels so safe which is completely the opposite of her melee self. Id like to see zelda more akin to her previous design where she was a high risk high reward character, only more reward to bring her to the viability standards of melee

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Mario in this game still loses to Falco, Fox, Captain Falcon, Marth (Worse MU), and Sheik while also having issues with Mewtwo, Ivysaur, and Roy. These characters keep Mario from being amazing and put him in the very good section instead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I dont like zelda's design either, she feels so safe which is completely the opposite of her melee self. Id like to see zelda more akin to her previous design where she was a high risk high reward character, only more reward to bring her to the viability standards of melee
This is so stupid. First of all, Zelda's "high risk" strategy in Melee amounted to "spam Lightning Kicks." You know, she can do the exact same thing in PM if you so wish. You won't get far though because that strategy sucks. Always has and always will. She is not the opposite of her Melee self because she can do everything she could do before (which wasn't much) and more. Second of all, Zelda is a defensive character. Defensive characters do not lend themselves to typical high risk/high reward playstyles. You have dozens of other more offensive characters to choose from, so stop trying to take a defensive character and shove her into your preferred role.

Yeesh, people are such whiny airheads when it comes to Zelda. At this point I'm hoping she stays the same just to spite you all. :awesome:

Last edited by a moderator:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I cant wait for all the salt that will happen when this next version comes out.

D

Deleted member

It's almost as much fun to watch people freak out and complain as it is to see all the cool new content. Almost.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I am back on this thread, and HOLY COW 400+ pages.
Did I miss the :linkmelee:>:marthmelee: discussion? :p

D

Deleted member

It's a good thing this game wasn't designed/balanced around the low/mid level.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
It's a good thing this game wasn't designed/balanced around the low/mid level.
Well duh! Everyone basically got buffed and some of them could have potential for being extremely OP. Take Lucas for example. His tilts and aerials are ridiculous at both low & high%, making for long, damaging combos and some easy zero-death ones as well. Coming from maining him in brawl, this guy definitely sticks out.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
This is so stupid. First of all, Zelda's "high risk" strategy in Melee amounted to "spam Lightning Kicks." You know, she can do the exact same thing in PM if you so wish. You won't get far though because that strategy sucks. Always has and always will. She is not the opposite of her Melee self because she can do everything she could do before (which wasn't much) and more. Second of all, Zelda is a defensive character. Defensive characters do not lend themselves to typical high risk/high reward playstyles. You have dozens of other more offensive characters to choose from, so stop trying to take a defensive character and shove her into your preferred role.

Yeesh, people are such whiny airheads when it comes to Zelda. At this point I'm hoping she stays the same just to spite you all. :awesome:
I'll steer clear of the talk on Zelda's quality of design, but I'd like to bring up that good defensive attributes don't always amount to a defensive playstyle (we've already seen this before with Peach). Zelda is also gifted with simple, strong shield pressure in the form of Din's, fsmash, and lightning kicks, which, combined with their flexible coverage behind Zelda, are good tools for forcing the opponent to concede stage control (otherwise known as a good approach). Additionally Din's can cover tech/recovery options, and Farore's extends chases and pressure situations. Dashdancing is a comparatively poor spacing tool until Zelda commits to an approach with dash attack, at which point it is an excellent option for picking up an opponent trying to escape pressure. Her slower grab, while unsuited for scooping up attackers, has good range for picking up tech rolls, and has a huge damage payout with 4% pummels and 15% dthrow alone, disregarding DI mixups into lightning kick. Although the Din's combos are cool and all, the real substance of Zelda's combo game consists of looking for practical, consistent setups into two of the best KO moves in the game (lightning kick and lightning kick, respectively). With the exception of usmash on a few fast-fallers, most of Zelda's defensive options fail to achieve this.

My key point is that Zelda benefits the most (i.e. optimizes reward) when her opponent is playing defensively, not when she is, which is why it is important that Zelda's gameplan revolve around forcing her opponent to play defensively. In fact, the good defense might as well be there just to give her more chances to initiate her own offense, rather than dictate playstyle. As has been brought up before, this is why her control of the game folds to characters that are simply too quick to trap in a disadvantageous defensive position. For those matchups only, I would consider Zelda a defensive character, possibly helped along by the fact that in several of them she suddenly finds her strongest combo starter to be an OoS option.

On another note, the concept of fixating balance around some arbitrary risk/reward ratio is completely useless. Safety will always be excessively favored, because getting any hit at all, as long as it isn't punishable, is more than enough reward to win a match.

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Top Bottom