• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
>solar beam
Yup because we just get plenty of those for free
>great shield pressure
No.
>great projectile
CC is a thing.
Just having solar beam is a great mindgame. it frightens opponents and there are quite a few options to combo into it IIRC

Bair, Nair, Razor Leaf and Dair/Uair?

Yes, but it is very good in combos and pressure. Plus if they do CC it and you're nearby you get a free approach.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I think Samus has a lot of untapped potential. There's a lot of good Samus players, but she has so many good tools and so much stuff added on in P:M that I don't think anyone's fully explored Samus yet.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I definitely don't see how you could watch CEO and not get the impression that Fox is busted. "Oh no, I'm getting massively outplayed on my main, time to go to Fox and win for free". It's especially embarrassing because Sonic has anti-spacie tech and it still doesn't really matter because Fox just dominates the neutral to such a ridiculous degree.

Now, it is true that Wizzrobe threw away a few stocks to SDs, but you only have to watch the way that Fox is constantly all over him with nairs and shines to get the real picture of that match. If Zero had gone Fox from the start it probably just would have been a 3-0.

I definitely agree that Shine is a lot of the problem and restoring it to near-melee status was one of the worst things for this game. Sakurai obviously had no idea what that move was capable of when he designed it. At the bare minimum, it should have more than one frame of startup, this game just isn't meant to have moves that start up that fast. How fast is Wolf's Shine?

Last edited:

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
idk, i just think that sonic vs fox is 5-5 or 45-55, lol.

fox is really good, though.
Very true, I say we either nerf his recovery in the vein of Falco, or make his shine not as OP but still viable. Maybe something like making it's startup halfway between Falco's and Wolf's with a good bit of ending lag if it misses, or possibly only one of the two if that's too much.

I'm gonna get crucified aren't I?

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
idk, i just think that sonic vs fox is 5-5 or 45-55, lol.

fox is really good, though.
From what I saw I would say 6-4 Fox (Shine / Upsmash can shut down Spindash and a lot of Sonic's other offensive tools, while Sonic doesn't have any great defense against Fox's pressure or combos, at best UpB just lets him escape, Side B is the only thing the gives him a fighting chance), which just goes to show that just because you have a tool for gimping spacies doesn't mean you're 5-5 or better.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
What's so good about Brawl's fair?
Compared to what he's got now, it's much faster and a little more powerful. I don't think it would really change that much, though, which is why I consider it a tiny buff.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
Which means it trades with a lot more ****. It was a big change. Also the laser nerf hurt his neutral slightly. Although I do like the nerf because it's based off distance which means laser camping is not as effective since the damage you get is not worth it.
Yup.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
High to high-mid for me, my opinion changes overtime. She has tools to deal with just about every character in the cast.

Mewtwo - Samus is one of the worst matchups in the entire game though. 8-2 on a good day.
In who's favor? Its not clear in your post.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I actually think Brawl Fair for Falco would be pretty rad with L-cancel. And it would give him some of his personality back that he gained in Brawl. :L

Vashimus

Smash Master
In who's favor? Its not clear in your post.
Mewtwo's.

The #1 reason is Teleport. That move itself is basically a giant middle finger to Samus's neutral; it just gets him in there hassle-free, usually followed by an un-CCable Nair, and from there he can just constantly stay on her ass. Screw Attack OoS might dissuade him a few times, but other than that, you're pretty much at his mercy. Teleport also let's him combo Samus where a lot of other characters couldn't now that he isn't helpless after using it.

Then you add all the other **** on top of that. Shadow Ball and Confusion means he doesn't mind your camping at all, tail just outranges a crapload of her stuff and he can even gimp her with it, his floatiness takes away any comboability she has left, his recovery is just as great as hers, and he can kill her a lot earlier than she can kill him, even with Ice Beam (His Fair has a chance of killing you at 100%, Up-Throw is damn-near guaranteed).

Admittedly, 8-2 is just me exaggerating, but it just sucks major ass.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Mewtwo's.

The #1 reason is Teleport. That move itself is basically a giant middle finger to Samus; it just gets him in there hassle-free, usually followed by an un-CCable Nair, and from there he can just constantly stay on her ***. Screw Attack OoS might dissuade him a few times, but other than that, you're pretty much at his mercy. Teleport also let's him combo Samus where a lot of other characters couldn't now that he isn't helpless after using it.

Then you add all the other **** on top of that. Shadow Ball and Confusion means he doesn't mind your camping at all, tail just outranges a crapload of her stuff and he can even gimp her with it, his floatiness takes away any comboability she has left, his recovery is just as great as hers, and he can kill her a lot earlier than she can kill him, even with Ice Beam (His Fair has a chance of killing you 100%, Up-Throw is damn-near guaranteed).

Admittedly, 8-2 is just me exaggerating, but it just sucks major ***.
I'd say 55:45. Emukiller is the number one abuser of Teleport Hover Nair, and he had a hard time with ESAM's Samus (granted, ESAM was reading him extremely hard). Even if we were to elimonate ESAM's reading game, ESAM 0-deathed Emu by just plain camping. Emu couldn't through the wall. Also, Teleport directions are generally obvious to read. The MU seems stage dependent however. Samus has her best shots on Pokemon Stadiums, FD and arguably Smashville. Mewtwo has his best on Dracula's Skyworld and to an extent Battlefield.

Last edited:

Saproling

Smash Journeyman
Just having solar beam is a great mindgame. it frightens opponents and there are quite a few options to combo into it IIRC

Bair, Nair, Razor Leaf and Dair/Uair?

Yes, but it is very good in combos and pressure. Plus if they do CC it and you're nearby you get a free approach.
Never said it wasn't good but its not free in any way and I don't think saying just having the option is amazing you still gotta earn them and use them wisely just like rest.
The approach thing is character dependent.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
So is Chatizard good? I just wanna know.

I play Charizard against my friends but they're pretty bad so I'm not to sure.

Chevy

Smash Ace
I'd say 55:45. Emukiller is the number one abuser of Teleport Hover Nair, and he had a hard time with ESAM's Samus (granted, ESAM was reading him extremely hard). Even if we were to elimonate ESAM's reading game, ESAM 0-deathed Emu by just plain camping. Emu couldn't through the wall. Also, Teleport directions are generally obvious to read. The MU seems stage dependent however. Samus has her best shots on Pokemon Stadiums, FD and arguably Smashville. Mewtwo has his best on Dracula's Skyworld and to an extent Battlefield.
It's hard to fathom a good Mewtwo ever getting camped out. He's got the easiest powershield in the game, plus an infinitely long reflecting move that goes like 5 feet in front of his face. Also I'm pretty sure N-air eats missiles. And teleport directions should never be obvious, that's just being predictable. Also Pokemon Stadium is probably not very good given the low ceiling. I'd much rather face Mewtwo on Battlefield, the sides are thinner, and the ceiling is a bit higher.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman

Charizard's pretty good for the most part. He can absolutely maul spacie players who don't know the matchup (he can 0-death spacies pretty consistently off a grab), but he struggles hard against projectile camping

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Charizard's pretty good for the most part. He can absolutely maul spacie players who don't know the matchup (he can 0-death spacies pretty consistently off a grab), but he struggles hard against projectile camping
I see. That's pretty much how it goes with me and my friends.

I think some things holding Zard back is that he has too many moves that focus on the same thing. Going up.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Falco's Brawl Fair sucked
Melee Fair isn't any better, it has it's niche uses just like Brawl Fair had it's niche uses. I think Brawl Fair would gain more utility with L-cancel however.

But I know nothing.

Charizard is solid. Great ground mobility, great range, good throws, good combos, has a bit of a weird combo weight going on for the plus side. On the bad side of the coin he is a big target, not the best aerial mobility, and his attacks are kinda laggy. He's like Falcon to a degree, but better imo.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
It's hard to fathom a good Mewtwo ever getting camped out. He's got the easiest powershield in the game, plus an infinitely long reflecting move that goes like 5 feet in front of his face. Also I'm pretty sure N-air eats missiles. And teleport directions should never be obvious, that's just being predictable. Also Pokemon Stadium is probably not very good given the low ceiling. I'd much rather face Mewtwo on Battlefield, the sides are thinner, and the ceiling is a bit higher.
Emukiller is the best Mewtwo and he got camped out by a Samus. If you're getting outcamped, and you're Samus, then you need work on your camp game. MAJOR work on your camp game.

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
So far it looks like the tier list is like this:

Top:
Pit
Fox
Lucas
Mewtwo
Link
Wolf

High:
Mario
Samus
Pikachu
Falco
Sonic

Mid to Low:
Everyone else

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
So far it looks like the tier list is like this:

Top:
Pit
Fox
Lucas
Mewtwo
Link
Wolf

High:
Mario
Samus
Pikachu
Falco

Mid to Low:
Everyone else
Placement of characters is wrong, and its missing many characters. :sonic::lucario::ivysaur::squirtle::snake::zelda::diddy::marth::metaknight::zerosuitsamus:

Top tier is pretty much correct. Just add Sonic, Snake and Lucario, Zelda is the lowest top tier, Fox is above Pit, Mewtwo above Lucas. Snake is above Lucas, MK above Snake, Lucario above Zelda. Sonic above Mewtwo

High tier is correct in placement, but you're missing Ivysaur, Squirtle and Diddy Kong. Diddy is above Samus and Squirtle above Mario. Ivysaur below Samus. Marth second lowest high tier. ZSS lowest.

List should look like

Top Tier-:foxmelee::pit::sonic::mewtwopm::metaknight::snake::link2::lucas::wolf::lucario::zelda:
High Tier-:squirtle::mario2::diddy::samus2::ivysaur::pikachu2::falcomelee::marth::zerosuitsamus:

Last edited:

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
Placement of characters is wrong, and its missing many characters. :sonic::lucario::ivysaur::squirtle::snake::zelda::diddy::marth::metaknight::zerosuitsamus:

Top tier is pretty much correct. Just add Sonic, Snake and Lucario, Zelda is the lowest top tier, Fox is above Pit, Mewtwo above Lucas. Snake is above Lucas, MK above Snake, Lucario above Zelda. Sonic above Mewtwo

High tier is correct in placement, but you're missing Ivysaur, Squirtle and Diddy Kong. Diddy is above Samus and Squirtle above Mario. Ivysaur below Samus. Marth second lowest high tier. ZSS lowest.

List should look like

Top Tier-:foxmelee::pit::sonic::mewtwopm::metaknight::snake::link2::lucas::wolf::lucario::zelda:
High Tier-:squirtle::mario2::diddy::samus2::ivysaur::pikachu2::falcomelee::marth::zerosuitsamus:
Zelda isn't top tier, her moves are pretty situational, and she can be zoned out fairly easily. Marth isn't top tier because of everyone's buff, Squirtle imo is nothing more then a gimmicky character. Lucario has shown no promise at the moment, he can't be placed as top tier if nobody has figured him out yet. Snake being top tier is debatable because of his weight (combo food). ZSS is my only other nitpick, she really isn't all that great from what I've seen

EDIT: Mewtwo I believe is #1 on the tier list since he's insanely good

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Zelda isn't top tier, her moves are pretty situational, and she can be zoned out fairly easily. Marth isn't top tier because of everyone's buff, Squirtle imo is nothing more then a gimmicky character. Lucario has shown no promise at the moment, he can't be placed as top tier if nobody has figured him out yet. Snake being top tier is debatable because of his weight (combo food). ZSS is my only other nitpick, she really isn't all that great from what I've seen
Zelda is bottom top tier, but still top tier. If Zelda is getting zoned out, that Zelda is bad Zelda loses to extreme aggression (aka everyone above her and Falco) which is why she's bottom top tier. ZSS, Marth, Squirtle I didn't put as top tier. Squirtle may be gimmicky, but he's still very good. Snake? The top four PM players in the world are M2K, Wizzrobe, Armada, and Professor Pro. Snake has the results to say he's top tier. Then you have Rolex who is extremely consistent with his placings as Snake, including 4th at Apex, falling at the hands of M2K, twice. You know who else is combo food? Fox. He's still top tier. As for Lucario, I'm just waiting for someone to do really well with him in tournament. He's hasStreet Fighter esque combos. The character is broken to an extent.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

putting mario and diddy under characters like zelda and link is crazy. actually crazy

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
putting mario and diddy under characters like zelda and link is crazy. actually crazy
Link and Zelda were overly buffed from Melee to PM. Both have tourney results as well. Diddy doesn't. And Mario is not top tier. Call me crazy, but his only thing that keeps him afloat is Fire Balls. Mario has JACK on the top tiers. He does have insane shield pressure (Mewtwo, Sonic Fox, Pit, Lucas, Wolf, Lucario), incredible speed (Fox, Wolf, Pit, Sonic, Lucas), an outstanding combo game (Snake, Sonic, Mewtwo, Pit, Lucas, Lucario, Wolf), or an unstoppable camp game (Link, Zelda, Fox to an extent). His attributes are just average. Even his recovery isn't omnipotent (Mewtwo, Pit and Zelda lololol). At least Diddy can match the tops in combo game, but he gets gimped somewhat easily, gets comboed very easily by top tiers, and his general best set ups can be used against him, which can be detrimental.

Last edited:

Ace55

Smash Lord
Very true, I say we either nerf his recovery in the vein of Falco, or make his shine not as OP but still viable. Maybe something like making it's startup halfway between Falco's and Wolf's
So somewhere between 1 frame and 1 frame. It might take a lot of coding but I think they could do that.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Someone had to say it. Came here to post the exact thing...
By no means is Zelda bad, but she loses to Mario, Link, MK, Diddy. At best for her they are even.

Mario is absolutely amazing. Chain grabs on over 50% of the cast, all of his moves flow into each other, dtilt leads into fair on every character at moderate %s. His projectile only makes all of these already amazing things even better, but by no means is fireball his only good tool. He can go SO DEEP with bair for free. His bair has to be one of the best in the game, far better than Kirby's. HIs recovery is good, crouch cancelling is good, has his cape to help with projectiles, wall jumps for tons of recovery mixups.

And then Diddy. This character has no tourney results? We've seen people who don't play the character at Xanadu just banana and peanut camp under a platform. That cuts off most of the casts approach options. His moves don't go into eachother as well as Mario, but they shouldn't because banana leads into whatever follow up you feel like dishing out. His fair has to be stronger than Sheiks, and it sends just as low, and he has bananas to set it up just as easily. It isn't even like he only has a projectile, he has an entire item that can be reused to apply tons of shield pressure, cover approach options, control tons of space. Ontop of bananas and fair his bair is amazing, nair is pretty good, uair combos, along with amazing recovery surrounded by an absurd hitbox, that sends out 2 projectiles that have homing when he is hit. He really has everything a character could want with tons of movement options, 2 amazing projectiles, a recovery that is a KO move and a meteor, command grabs to catch opponents who stay in shield because of his projectiles, and a fair that KOs pretty much anyone at 70% mid stage being generous.

Samus is pretty good but top tier may be pushing it. I would agree with high mid though. The ice set is really good, but honestly after hours of trying to get ice fsmash to work I hate it terribly. ice dtilt is neat for edguarding, ice upsmash can be used to follow up a downthrow, and fair is crazy fast + strong + combos at early %s. Her zair is ridiculous though, it outranges every character. I think she falls short of being top tier simply because her movement isn't good enough. She has super wavedash, but it feels sort of niche or gimmicky outside of catching someone off guard a time or two. I also haven't seen someone use it heavily on a consistent basis to really judge. TL;DR Samus has solid projectiles, CCing, and buffed smashes, but in a game with movement options like Fox, MK, Zelda, Mewtwo, Sonic, Pit, Charizard, Captain Falcon, I feel she just misses the boat by default for top tier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom