• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Through the Ph1r3 and the Ph14m3s: The Young Lion's Primer

Through the Ph1r3 and the Ph14m3s: The Young Lion's Primer

Chiramijumaru

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chiramijumaru
Chiramijumaru submitted a new guide:

Through the Ph1r3 and the Ph14m3s: The Young Lion's Primer - (WIP)

How To Roy
Note: This guide assumes you know basic/moderate Smash terms. If you don't know what Utilt means or how to SHFF, look it up.
About Me
I am a 17-year old smasher from upstate New York, USA who began Smashing since the first entry. I play Melee, Brawl, PM, and SSB4 to this day. While Roy isn't my main in any of the three games he stars in, this most...
Read more about this guide...

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
I think you missed one of n-air's applications.

There are times when you want to fast-fall to cancel the 2nd hit, usually after hitting with the first hit. This can kill confirm into up-b at higher percents.

Chiramijumaru

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chiramijumaru
I think you missed one of n-air's applications.

There are times when you want to fast-fall to cancel the 2nd hit, usually after hitting with the first hit. This can kill confirm into up-b at higher percents.
Thanks for this info! I'll test this tomorrow and see what else combos!

Chiramijumaru

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chiramijumaru
Chiramijumaru updated Through the Ph1r3 and the Ph14m3s: The Young Lion's Primer with a new update entry:

7/24/2015 Small Update

• Added information to all moves.
  • Added "Edgeguarding/Trumping" section.
  • Added button inputs to make guide more sexy.
  • Fixed a color error with the "Edge" in Double-Edge Dance.
  • Added small message to "- Ending Notes -" section.
Alright doods! Today's my testing day for all things Smash 4 Roy! Will test combos, setups, and more today, if Splatoon doesn't rear its very attractive head. :awesome:
Read the rest of this update entry...

Chiramijumaru

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chiramijumaru
Chiramijumaru updated Through the Ph1r3 and the Ph14m3s: The Young Lion's Primer with a new update entry:

7/24/2015 Preliminary Findings Update

• Added Ftilt.
  • Added some info to most normals.
What I've been testing in FG seems to align with my earlier gameplay. Lots of GGs were exchanged, met an EVO tier Link (or at least S@X tier) and even got an inquiry about the guide (sadly, wasn't able to respond, name list was full). Ftilt and Nair are Roy's best tools so far. Will continue to experiment. MUs are coming soon as I face different opponents. Perfect pivots don't seem to augment Roy's game plan. And finally, still...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
This a good start, I would add Fthrow and it uses in the throw section however, I know Dthrow is good but Fthrow also has combos at low/mid percents (Fthrow > DED/Fthrow > Dash attack) mix up Dthrow and Fthrow to mess with your opponents DI.

The upwards variation of DED can be useful on fastfallers or heavier characters since it could potentially set up juggles. In Blazer's uses you can add that OoS Blazer and Jab > Blazer are good kill options, as for recovering with it you can add info about mixing up between recovering low and high with Blazer.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Fthrow is just as vital to Roy's game as Dthrow is. 75% of smashers DI upwards when thrown, knowing this you can predict where they're gonna be. If you Fthrow they won't be to far away from you ,this is where you can follow up with a Nair or Dash attack.

Jonathan michael

Smash Rookie
I am a little late to this guide but I sis notice quite a few things left out, or not expressed with more emphasis. I am a Roy main, and also have a pocket puff and a secondary fox. But that is besides the point. The main things I noticed with this review:
General Pros: this guide did a great job at going over Roy's tricky neutral game as well as the emphasis on safe spacing.
The guide went over most of his moves that are important to keep note of when playing as Roy.

General Cons: at some points in the review, there were facts that were inaccurately emphasized or just were completely.
The review left out a number of Roy's important tools.
The review was written by someone who doesn't main Roy, which obviously lead to inaccuracy.

The specific errors:
Roy's UpB usually does not combo out of down throw on all characters.
Roy's UpB is generally a bad move to use because it is unsafe and usually doesn't grant any more damage than a neutral air, which can lead to more follow ups.
Roy's nair, Jab, and Dtilt all lead into a re grab if your opponent is expecting pressure.
Jab is pretty much 100% safe.
Jab is an amazing combo starter (not emphasized well).
Jab is a safe, reliable way to cover approaches or slow punishes after moves like nair and neutral b.

DOWN THROW IS NOT YOUR BEST THROW COMBO STARTER. Forward throw has equal potential to down throw, and has more follow up potential and can steal jumps if your opponent makes the wrong decision of jumping instead of Airdodging. It comes to a 50/50 in which your opponent can either attempt to jump away and possibly lose their jump and be sent off stage, or they can air-dodge and suffer landing lag in which they could be punished by a tomahawk fsmash. (This does range between character weights. A heavy character might reach the ground before you can get to them which would lead to a tech chase opportunity, or a missed tech punish, whereas light characters will suffer more hitstun and knock back from the fthrow, making it much easier to KO at the edge.)

Down throw sometimes can lead into a true up air combo.
Landing up air is amazing at low/mid percent to follow up with most anything. Weak landing upair is also great at high percents and can combo into ftilt and fsmash.
Roy has a great dash which gives him great movement speed, an average perfect pivot (applicable to uptilt to kill off the top) and great foxtrotting and foxtrot canceling.
Aerial mobility is 4th in the game, so he can easily chase in the air just as well as on ground.
Roy's grounded UpB is good to kill at higher percentages, and has armor frames similar to that of Little Mac's smash attacks. Aerial UpB has neither of these features.

All-in-all, this guide lacks many important aspects about the character, and has slight inaccuracies throughout the guide, but it does put a great overall summary on the character, which is the most important part of a character guide.

Top Bottom