• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thread for Combos

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
There is now a whole lot of Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS video content on the web. We have gameplay from bestbuy demos, we have the invitational, we have the 3DS tourneys,etc. We have a lot of material.

Together, as smashboards, we should comb through this vast abundance of gameplay, and find THE best combos shown so far.

I present, PewPewU's Mario combo on Wii Fit Trainer :

Starts at 15:45 for all you mobile users.

edit: ItsRainingGravy found this: http://www.gfycat.com/SmoothAstonishingJunco

BladeViper found this around the 3:30 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clc5U2DKzsU

Last edited:

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
None. There is nothing interesting there to be honest. Wait till the game comes out to figure combos.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
i believe the people at vg bootcamp were the ones that did all the movesets for each character and they showed off the potential combos on the punching bag so i would check those out

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
can't post what doesn't exist there are no combos.
Really. Really. Really. :facepalm:

Right, because Marth instantly FSmashing out of UAir isn't a combo. Because Bowser totally didn't FAir into jab in the SDCC grand finals, because Mario's UAir totally doesn't combo into itself a billion times and then into something else in multiple gameplay videos. Because there totally wasn't SDCC footage of Fox comboing Dash Attack into three UTilts into NAir. Because we never saw gameplay footage of Sonic dragging a foe to the ground with Side Special, then dealing another hit on landing followed by a Spin Dash Jump into FAir.

I give up, man. I just give up.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
can't post what doesn't exist there are no combos.
??? what there is a video in the first post proving you wrong, fine i can say this and be just as right then
melee has no combos then ether. (see i can ignore video evidence too).

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
Guys. I did post a video with a pretty cool 5 hit combo video.

They exist.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Until they make it so you can't air dodge out of tumble combos will be very hard to pull off. I played 1v1s at Best Buy so I know. I know they'll most likely fix that though never understood why Brawl took most combo out. As long as there are no 0 to deaths I feel at least 4-5 hits combo should exist.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Until they make it so you can't air dodge out of tumble combos will be very hard to pull off. I played 1v1s at Best Buy so I know. I know they'll most likely fix that though never understood why Brawl took most combo out. As long as there are no 0 to deaths I feel at least 4-5 hits combo should exist.
You can air dodge out of tumble, but only after the smoke trail from launch disappears. Until then, no air dodge for you!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Fun thing is that while Brawl removed combos it didn't remove 0 to deaths thanks to chain-grabbing. It should be done the other way around Sakurai.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
The Bestbuy demos showed plenty of combos. That said, I'll definitely have to have the game in my hands to test some that are of interest to me. For instance, I never once saw someone use Megaman's up-throw and try to follow it up with Air Shooter, or use Hard Knuckle to knock someone into a groundbounce for Flame Sword. Time will tell.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
People who say there are no combos simply do not want to see combos because it means their beloved Melee/ProjectM might bite the dust. :) <3

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
The Bestbuy demos showed plenty of combos. That said, I'll definitely have to have the game in my hands to test some that are of interest to me. For instance, I never once saw someone use Megaman's up-throw and try to follow it up with Air Shooter, or use Hard Knuckle to knock someone into a groundbounce for Flame Sword. Time will tell.
I don't know about Up Throw, but I've heard that Mega Upper to Air Shooter works wonders.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Not to rain on your parade but I'm pretty sure that if she (Wii Fit Trainer) air dodged that combo would have ended earlier. In fact I heard in an interview that it shouldn't have worked. I will need to find that video. Finding a true string of hits greater than 3 is difficult at this time. I'm all for searching for combos but I say wait till the finished product. This build is over six months old.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I don't know about Up Throw, but I've heard that Mega Upper to Air Shooter works wonders.
I saw a lot of repeated Air Shooter into Air Shooter for top kills. I'm also interested in seeing if Buster -> Slide -> Launch (Spark, Heat, Upper, whatever) -> Aerials -> Hard Knuckle is viable to start on the ground. I'm just interested to see Megaman's options in general, since I'm kinda tired of maining Marth two games in a row.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
You can air dodge out of tumble, but only after the smoke trail from launch disappears. Until then, no air dodge for you!
I'm saying you shouldn't be able to airdodge out of tumble at all.
People who say there are no combos simply do not want to see combos because it means their beloved Melee/ProjectM might bite the dust. :) <3
This simply isn't true. Maybe some people but most people including myself have tried at E3 and Best Buy and combos are still really difficult. Although there is slightly more hitstun attacks send too far and you still can air dodge out of tumble. Again if they really care I'm sure it'll be fixed.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not see any "combos," I would like to believe that I am non-biased as I enjoy all Smash games to an equivalent extent. Obviously there are "combos" by definition, good 2 hit combos. :troll:

Raijinken

Smash Master
That would, to be perfectly honest, but very bad to be unable to act out of tumble. After all, in Smash Bros you don't reset out of tumble automatically. It only ends when you act out of it or you hit the ground.
Basically this. Brawl Minus was effectively that way due to the insane amounts of hitstun, and it pretty much made it so that the first good player to land a hit got the kill. That seems, to me, to be an excessive level of punishment for getting hit.

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Basically this. Brawl Minus was effectively that way due to the insane amounts of hitstun, and it pretty much made it so that the first good player to land a hit got the kill. That seems, to me, to be an excessive level of punishment for getting hit.
That's what I'm saying I think Melee had a good amount of hit stun. I don't want 0 to deaths just 4-5 hit combos and only being able to get 0 to deaths on perfect reads only. But air dodging out of tumble restricts MOST combos to 2 hits. I don't want this though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNitcPzbsq4
http://www.gfycat.com/SmoothAstonishingJunco

You can start contributing to the topic now.
Are you sure he couldn't airdodge out of that? I tried down throw double up air at E3 and the person airdodged

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
That's what I'm saying I think Melee had a good amount of hit stun. I don't want 0 to deaths just 4-5 hit combos and only being able to get 0 to deaths on perfect reads only. But air dodging out of tumble restricts MOST combos to 2 hits. I don't want this though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNitcPzbsq4

Are you sure he couldn't airdodge out of that? I tried down throw double up air at E3 and the person airdodged
i looked to me he couldnt since it looks like he was still in hit stun but i can say ether way since i was not there

Raijinken

Smash Master

I agree, I don't want Sheik either :awesome:

But I agree, Melee had a good level of stun. A combination of hitstun, DI options, chasing options, and escape options are what will end up defining the combo game. Hopefully it's appealing at release (or gets patched over time) and has a happy balance of all of the above.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Well there are combos but we still do not know the depth of the system. So posting a thread for combo 3 months before release is quite pointless.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
It doesn't have to be like Melee though it can be similar. The game is a **** load of fun. I feel once they add dash dancing back and a little more hitstun and it will be perfect.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
It doesn't have to be like Melee though it can be similar. The game is a **** load of fun. I feel once they add dash dancing back and a little more hitstun and it will be perfect.
dash dancing is in the game its just not the same, there are a couple videos of it

Raijinken

Smash Master
Well there are combos but we still do not know the depth of the system. So posting a thread for combo 3 months before release is quite pointless.
I think there is room for thinking of potential combos (like my above mentioned Megaman combo), but I agree, there's little we can do without a hard copy of the final game.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Possibly, though you also have to consider the likely probabilities of the player's mindset as well.

Most players, regardless of skill level, are well aware of the ability to dodge in the air in order to help them avoid attacks. And additionally, under pressure/while being attacked, most players would resort to the shielding/dodging button in order to halt the opponent's progress. The Link player in the video had enough time to be very well aware that he was being combo'd by the Mario player.

In other words, the chance of him trying to airdodge (and being unsuccessful at avoiding the combo) is a more likely scenario than him just sitting there and watching himself taking a beating without doing anything to try to stop it.

Granted, this isn't ruling out the chance that he could have airdodged out of the combo, though Link's percent (63% after the throw) was most likely high enough to where hitstun sealed the rest of the combo.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
No it's in the game but it is useless because only tight turns are allowed. If the radius is bigger is would be amazing!
sure but they might have toned it down due to the pivot mechanic that was found in the demo

Beats

Smash Cadet
Possibly, though you also have to consider the likely probabilities of the player's mindset as well.

Most players, regardless of skill level, are well aware of the ability to dodge in the air in order to help them avoid attacks. And additionally, under pressure/while being attacked, most players would resort to the shielding/dodging button in order to halt the opponent's progress. The Link player in the video had enough time to be very well aware that he was being combo'd by the Mario player.

In other words, the chance of him trying to airdodge (and being unsuccessful at avoiding the combo) is a more likely scenario than him just sitting there and watching himself taking a beating without doing anything to try to stop it.

Granted, this isn't ruling out the chance that he could have airdodged out of the combo, though Link's percent (63% after the throw) was most likely high enough to where hitstun sealed the rest of the combo.
We also don't know if he could have had better combo DI. It's just very difficult at this time to discern whether the combos in each video could have been escaped or not. We'll just have to wait for the game to be released. Although I do hope for the best.

Top Bottom