• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Lucina, Robin, and Captain Falcon's Intro

Was the Intro Video Good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 209 94.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerTimeUS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WinningAlex13
I want to hear everyones thoughts on the intro video. Was the animation pleasing? Was the music on point? Was the action cool?

I thought the Fire Emblem Art style fit Captain Falcon pretty well and when Robin came down was cool. Also Captain Falcon was about to kick Lucina's butt with Falcon Punch!

PS. I kinda mad Chrom isn't playable

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Seeing the Captain in Fire Emblem style makes me want a Fire Emblem x F-Zero crossover game.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Pre-trailer was hype.
As soon as it started, I was overcome with disappointment.
Then falcon started kicking ass and that made things better.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Captain Falcon beat Chrom out of the roster so it was good to me! Seriously though it was pretty good and too bad for Chrom.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
It was such a beautiful CG trailer!

It also did Captain Falcon justice.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
It was good. Animation was very nice, too. Don't really care for Fire Emblem, but because it wasn't Shulk it made me so happy.

More females, too. But as soon as I saw Lucina was a clone I was like 'ohh **** people are going to be mad!' but so far, no one has really been bothered about it.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I thought it was so good. I honestly thought Chrom was gonna be playable though throughout the entire trailer ended, and the site had to update in order for me to realize he was just part of Robin's final smash. It was clear that was the case watching it back. I did not expect Lucina and Robin whatsoever, so that was quite a surprise. Captain Falcon being in a trailer with a bunch of Fire Emblem characters was odd, but I liked it.

I do feel bad for Chrom supporters, though.

Senario

Smash Ace
I mean the video is good, Lucina seems a little clone like...I know we have less female chars in the game but honestly what is the point if she is a clone of marth. Or from what little I've seen, a faster marth. It would be a shame if they slowed marth down just so Lucina could be the same character but faster.

If the game has competitive elements I'll try out Robin and continue playing Captain Falcon. If not well...it'll be fun occasionally but not for a long time after release (1+ year)

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
I pooped a little, good is biggest understatement ever.

Alright I didn't poop my pants but I would've!

Seriously been praying for lucina at LEAST as a marth alternate outfit, but this is even better. Robin being a huge plus.

And I've been waiting for Captain Falcon to hurry and get revealed but otherwise nothing has to be said about Captain Falcon.

Nothing.

He's a given.

Captain Falcon is a way of life.

Captain Falcon.

At this point just reveal ness + falco and I don't care whose cut or added.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Gemetsu got something wrong... YESSS HE WAS A FAKE I KNEW IT f*** Sal for screwing with people's minds! Chrom is just part of Robin Smash Ball Boom Pow! (wtf? idk?) Yes now nothing will be spoiled!!

Booster

Smash Lord
It should've been Shulk or Chrom, instead NO Shulk and Chrom is part of the final smash. I consider this video a failure, but it's just my opinion.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
It first I thought Robin was Bayonetta and I about peed my pants. But I thought it was really good.

edit: I was disappointed by the lack of falcon punch
I've seen Robin before but he wasn't in my mind, I thought he was Shulk seeing the hair.

Hong

The Strongest
I couldn't direct a better trailer if I tried.

Of course. I love Awakening, and the three leads. But to see my baby descend from above like that to protect my beloved Lucina?

It made me feel all kinds of good inside.

Also Robin♂ is really hot.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I wasn't as hype as I would've been if I was into Fire Emblem, but I still thought it was a great trailer.

Kinda sad it wasn't Ridley, with Mewtwo being revealed as a vet, but the trailer itself was good.

I really don't think Lucina will be a clone of Marth. Ike wasn't even a clone of Marth. They had two similar (but not the same) Bs, the ground up tilt is somewhat similar, but the neutral A, down and forward tilt A, and the air moves are all different with different animations. The up B, side B, and aerial Uptilt are completely different.

On that note, the level of cloning in Brawl is not nearly as high as it was in Melee. Toon Link is probably the only "true" clone, with Luigi being pretty darn close to a clone but different enough to be Luigi. Wolf is more of a Falco clone than a Fox clone since they have a lot of the same ground moves, and all three of those characters have different air moves. I don't know where we're going to draw the line on what is or is not a clone, but there's about as much basis to call Ike a Marth clone as there is to call Melee Zelda a Peach clone.

What's more, Lucina's multihit move is not seen on either Ike or Marth on Brawl, or Marth or Roy on Melee, and while she may have some similar moves that's more because there's only so many ways to swing a sword in a certain direction, not because of outright cloning. The way she seems to use it makes me think it's her side special. The other attacks shown aren't distinctly Marth's or Ike's, either. That said, not a lot of them were really shown.

I've little doubt that Lucina will be different.

Last edited:

NivinyaFate

Smash Cadet
NNID
Fate684
3DS FC
2423-4511-5468
I really enjoyed it. The animation was good and the reveal was what I was hoping for, which was a female sword/weapon fighter, and there's 2 options, which is even better. Robin also seems like an interesting character as I'm curious how the limited magic will work out in game.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Captain Falcon's voice clip and the old low quality fire emblem music from melee contrasted with the more up to date music and good voice acting.

I don't see how Chrom is deconfirmed, but this thread isn't about debating that.

Captain Falcon kicked so much ass, Robin's magic looks sick.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
My thoughts:

Lucina?! (the ?! was clearly poking fun at what I assume was the reaction for most people, as everyone and their pizza expected Chrom to be in this game)

Then the man comes in and is portrayed with such a manly stature I can barely sustain it.

Then Robin comes in to shake the world even further. When the camera was panning to Chrom near the end I was expecting him to be revealed last second, but it was the complete opposite!

A good trailer mostly because everyone thought Shulk would show up. The hype was real and it seemed like an eternity that such tension happened.

Also Fire Emblem (Melee) is back. What's not to love?

Aqueducts

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1891-1713-0780
The only Fire Emblem I've ever played was Radiant Dawn so I've only heard about Lucina and Robin through word of mouth. Despite that I really dig Robin's potential for his/her move set! A dedicated spell-sword user is just yet another fresh style added to the game that I can't wait to get my hands on. That and the Falcon reveal had me so hyped. I couldn't stop smiling!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just love how Captain Falcon had already beaten Chrom to pieces and was also giving Lucina a proper beating until Robin appeared, he better be that good in the game itself. Seriously Falcon's introduction was so good, the eyes of the helmet flashing and all, dayum.

But yeah, Captain Falcon confirmation (who's one of my alts), Gematsu deconfirmation, Robin confirmation and Lucina confirmation, its content was definitely good. The little fight sequence between Lucina and Falcon was really well done animation-wise, probably the coolest thing in any of these trailers. Definitely one of the top trailers alongside Little Mac's and Greninja's.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
My personal new favorite. It was vvverrrryyyy surprising and unexpected for me, which is why it hyped me so much. I love how they made the trailer look like the cutscenes from Awakening.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Did anyone else think that Falcon should have done the "Come on!" Taunt when he walked up?

That was my only complaint of rhe video xD

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
Grumpy post to follow:

I was pretty underwhelmed. Would almost say disappointed, but I simply knew too little about the Fire Emblem roster to really care. Personally, I think the numbers and influence Fire Emblem now has in Smash Brothers is too much, and their presence is bloated. Robin comes off as laborious and annoying. Palutena's constant shouting of silly moves nearly got to me, the two of them in one match has the potential to make ears bleed.

Judging by the feedback the other thread was getting just after the announcement and the hate I recieved on Facebook for questioning the trailer, I guess there was actually a lot of people that wanted this kind of fan service to happen. I don't see it - I would have loved a multiple space animal announcement, or even a single, slam dunk announcement. Baring in mind EVO will have inspired new and old players to join in when SSB4 is released, this feels like underkill. For my first look at the Fire Emblem: Awakening protagonist, he wasn't sold to me very well.

"Another atypical, androgynous, poncey anime front-man?" I scoffed, "That's all we need!".

I'm sure he's much more than that, but he looks daft to me right now. We all knew Captain Falcon wouldn't go amiss, and if you're not familiar with Fire Emblem, that's the only thing you're left with, in some ways.

But I must digress, I'm biased towards Western friendly gaming icons. Fire Emblem is not a franchise I'm familiar with beyond Marth and Roy's presence in Melee. It's also to do with the sort of characters I get excited for in Smash Brothers - especially in this iteration. The inclusion of some of the most definitive names in gaming history; the prospect of Pac Man punching Mega Man in the ****ing face. It's just too incredible. And whilst I know I can't have Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, etc, etc, I just think that this is a soft-serve. I definitely feel like a sore loser, and I won't blame any Fire Emblem fan for calling me out on being spoilt.

I was not impressed by the trailer, unfortunately! Too much build-up for a somewhat specific outcome. This time next year, I may love these guys, though. We'll see.

Last edited:

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Lucina is sadly no match for the Falcon. He was clearly just toying with her and parried her Falchion with his bare hands. Also, noticed Captain Falcon cancelled his Falcon Punch to get away from Elwind. Hmm...

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
awful video.

for robin, one oculd have an argument, but Lucina? WHY THE HELL SHE IS PLAYABLE IF CHROM IS NOT?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

and that whole bit in the end, about how Chrom "will get his chance today!", just renewing the hopes of Chorm fgans to shatter them in the worst way possible: a loser final smash for his sidekick

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I wasn't as hype as I would've been if I was into Fire Emblem, but I still thought it was a great trailer.

Kinda sad it wasn't Ridley, with Mewtwo being revealed as a vet, but the trailer itself was good.

I really don't think Lucina will be a clone of Marth. Ike wasn't even a clone of Marth. They had two similar (but not the same) Bs, the ground up tilt is somewhat similar, but the neutral A, down and forward tilt A, and the air moves are all different with different animations. The up B, side B, and aerial Uptilt are completely different.

On that note, the level of cloning in Brawl is not nearly as high as it was in Melee. Toon Link is probably the only "true" clone, with Luigi being pretty darn close to a clone but different enough to be Luigi. Wolf is more of a Falco clone than a Fox clone since they have a lot of the same ground moves, and all three of those characters have different air moves. I don't know where we're going to draw the line on what is or is not a clone, but there's about as much basis to call Ike a Marth clone as there is to call Melee Zelda a Peach clone.

What's more, Lucina's multihit move is not seen on either Ike or Marth on Brawl, or Marth or Roy on Melee, and while she may have some similar moves that's more because there's only so many ways to swing a sword in a certain direction, not because of outright cloning. The way she seems to use it makes me think it's her side special. The other attacks shown aren't distinctly Marth's or Ike's, either. That said, not a lot of them were really shown.

I've little doubt that Lucina will be different.
Every move Lucina performed is exactly the same as the moves Marth has. Also, that rapid stab attack is the final lower hit of Marth's dancing blade. She also has his uair, his nair, his Dolphin Slash, his idle pose (place hand on chest) AND his counter.

Remember, Lucina is the character who masqueraded as Marth. Being his clone isn't far fetched.

Niala

Smash Ace
Robin looks amazing. Very unique, somebody I would definitely be interesting in playing. I literally couldn't care less about the other two. An alt and an old dead character that I never played anyway. Yawn.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Every move Lucina performed is exactly the same as the moves Marth has. Also, that rapid stab attack is the final lower hit of Marth's dancing blade. She also has his uair, his nair, his Dolphin Slash, his idle pose (place hand on chest) AND his counter.

Remember, Lucina is the character who masqueraded as Marth. Being his clone isn't far fetched.
The funny part is Marth is a clone of Lucina in Awakening

Real talk tho, her Dolphin slash has a curved arc. Marth's is diagonal

ShadowMarth14

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSmashBro801
My personal new favorite. It was vvverrrryyyy surprising and unexpected for me, which is why it hyped me so much. I love how they made the trailer look like the cutscenes from Awakening.
I love your profile picture!

metaknave

Smash Apprentice
It was amazing! Captain Falcon stole the show. Someone charging at you with a sword? Backhand the attack and kick the sword out of her hand! He even masterfully dodges Robin's Elwind attacks like a boss! Speaking of Robin, he/she looks fun to play as, too. So many projectile choices....

Lucina's the only one I'm iffy about, since she looks like a Melee-esque clone, and yet, I don't mind.

Overall, it wasn't Shulk, but it was still great! HD Falcon Punches, here I come!

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924

I am looking at them side by side, with Brawl Marth on my TV and the Lucina screenshots + reveal video on my computer.

huh, it really is the same. I was confused because I forgot about the variety of Marth's combos, and also Marth's nair sometimes stops after the first hit. The rest are generic sword slashes, so I didn't look as closely as I could've. Well shoot, that's kindof disappointing.

I wonder if she'll be an alt costume for Marth or if she'll really take up her own character slot.

... Wait, no that's still not completely true. Her Dolphin slash has much different arc in the lower portion, also with a different angle of flight. Granted that might be a custom move that Marth also has.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
My personal opinion:

1) No "intro words" for Captain Falcon... it was like "Oh yeah, Falcon again". I'd love something more like... "OH HOLLY CHRIST IT'S FALCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON PUUUUUUUUUUNCH!", but it actually doesn't matters.

2) Trolling moment about Chrom was magnificent. Trolling moment with Robin/Daraen f&%@ng around was pretty cool. The character is perfectly constructed... Elwind, Arcfire, Thunder... Fire Emblem fans were asking for a magic based character, and here we have it. Personally, I would have loved Micaiah instead of Robin... but this is not good.

3) General sensations: too much refference to the same game. I don't mind Fire Emblem gains relevance, what I don't want is that ONLY Awakening is important for Nintendo...

4) Is Lucina a clone, an alt costume, a new character...? Why don't you say that, Sakurai, instead creating false wishes?

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Only complaint, No King K. Rool.
Best part, how cool the Cpt. looked.
My favorite animation cutscene is now this one. It is freaking epic.
I did actually want Robin, I just had my doubts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom