• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on current TLink playstyle?

Moochi

Smash Rookie
I've been a pretty hardcore 64 player and I've always played Link. I use to watch Isai vids and played pretty similiar to his Link, of course not as well :p.

Anyway I picked up TL cause he seemed to have a similiar play style to that of Link from 64. However when I watch "pro" vids it always seems that the majority of the players prefer to go toe-to-toe with their opponents. Naturally I gave it a shot but found myself reverting back to projectile spamming while waiting for opportunities to combo/KO. This is especially true with characters that seem to have a huge advantage over TL's melee (Marth, Ike and Pit).

So my question is this, do you feel that TL should be played like an opportunistic fighter, IE projectile spamming. Or do you think going to toe-to-toe is more effective. Or a mix of both?

Kizzu, i know your friend walkie/walk~ mains ike. Do you still go head on when you play his ike? or do you use projectiles to create opportunities? When you go toe-to-toe vs Walk~'s other chars is it because you know TL has the advantage in melee?

Thanks again, looking forward to being part of the TL crowd.

WR3K

Smash Ace
i too am interested in what those who have unlocked TL have to say

just got brawl yesterday (stupid military postal system)

so all im rockin is link, and im tryin to harness the power of snake

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious too, I guess the first major tournaments will show us some nice displays though. I'm personally predicting a mix of both, where they create combos and opportunities for such by staying at a range with the projectiles. That's what seems to work best for me against my friends Marths and Ikes at least.

KangKyu

Smash Apprentice
Toon Link is definately unlike any player you might've played, in a good way.
He is very fluid and you will love him immediately.
He is mix of proj. spammer and toe-to-toe, cause he's just too good.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
After maining Tink for about a week now I have to say you want to do both. The community that I'm fighting is a very very good projectile spamming Pit and a solid Ike/PT.

For the Pit, his arrows cancel out my arrows and my 'rang, so I prefer to go "toe2toe" but with Tink that's now it should be handled, especially with how the shield grabbing is currently handled. Therefore, you want to try to approach via hyphen dashes, fair, and nair. After you get the pit (or any other similar character in the air) you want to do the double dairs. Therefore, even in the situations where I would most notably go toe2toe, I still find myself splitting air and ground.

The projectiles are best used off the edge. Recovery jump back, 'rang or arrow. They aren't fast enough to really be effective

One final question. I rarely use bombs, prefering the 'rang and arrows...is this consistent with the community???

BTW - I LOVE dark Tink, one of my favorite characters ever.

$nuggles

Smash Journeyman
Well, in Brawl the bombs are alot easier to catch making bombs less useful as it was in Melee. Then again there will always be the good points of the bomb. Mainly how you still can spam arrows, boom, while still holding a bomb for backup.

Moochi

Smash Rookie
Well, in Brawl the bombs are alot easier to catch making bombs less useful as it was in Melee. Then again there will always be the good points of the bomb. Mainly how you still can spam arrows, boom, while still holding a bomb for backup.
A good way to use bombs is to setup for Dairs. Diem has a vid showing its potential.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
I personally try to stay in their face as much as possible but if that doesn't work I'll spam for a bit and read the reaction of the person I'm playing to see other ways i can start my combos or just beat their offense/defense, things like full jumping with a bomb tossing it down and going after it with a d-air work to but don't over use them because you can get punished hard if they don't get hit. Mostly just try to mix it up until you find what works in each fight.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Although Ike outranges TL, you should still go Toe2Toe with him, because he's so slow.

Pit, you probably want to go in from the ground, mostly because a lot of Pit's enjoy using their Side-B moves, and you can grab right through it.

Snake, I found out, is ANTI-TL!!! At least, from what I've seen. This next statement is not a lie or exaggeration: SNAKE OUT-PRIORITIZES EVERYTHING!!!! Yeah....so it's hard to get in and do anything to him. You can't even projectile spam, as he has them too!!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ You got to range against Snake, avoid his missles via airdodge, sidestep dodge and whatnot, fire arrows from short hop spamming, short hop grab and throw bombs, boomerang Snake's missles, and use your down tilt, up tilt, and up smash a lot to counter Snake. Snake pisses me off a lot, too. O, and use fAir for offense against him, and a good nAir always throws Snake players off at least for a bit. Save the forward smash for when Snake is recoering, or is VERY VULNERABLE! And stay either as far away as possible, or go toe to toe AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE! Or best of all, switch, but switch wisely, on time, and on the spot! ;)

Anyways, do everything. Toon Link is about mix and matching. Air and land. Land to air. Air to land. Land. Air. Spamming and toe-to-toe combat are both effective, and the "right" way to fight as Toon Link. Spam your opponent from afar with his arrows, semi-far with the bombs (or at certain situations), and up close with your boomerang to setup for other moves, combos, and EPIC MINDGAMES! Use Toon Link's tilts a lot, and save up for the smash attacks, for special situations, that actually happen quite often (where they are useful). Use Toon Link's aerials a lot, too. Just mix, match, and win. Toon Link is about total adaptation, transitions, and throwing your opponent off their game(s). That is where the heart of the Toon Link (future) meta-game lies. In other words, EPIC MINDGAMEZ! ;)

Top Bottom